• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Direct Footage 11.5.2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Man I wish I could nitpick over a game's lighting effects. I think the game looks great and will probably be a blast to play and that is really all I care about.

Shion

I'm sorry, i don't find static lighting, ps2 level character models, and grass made out of sprites impressive, shadows not reacting to light shouldn't exist in a 2015 game.
The use of sprite-based grass is genius imo.

Not only it looks great, but it also saves valuable resources that can be used on other, more important, areas.

I'm seeing a lot of "damn the environment looks good, but man, the characters are fugly as heck" comments. Its like you guys never played any jrpgs before. Its an artstyle popular in japan. Maybe you guys just prefer realistic looking faces. Ill never understand that preference though, they look so bland and uninspiring.

There are many JRPGs with great character design.

I respect Takahashi's artistic vision but the characters in XBX look atrocious.

-Horizon-

The character design is going to hurt the game sales-wise and it's a damn shame.

They should at least consider the possibility of letting the players customize everyone in the game.

Monolith Soft's environmental designs are beyond gorgeous.
I really wish their artists were in charge of the environmental art in Zelda.

Yo, what little we've seen so far of Zelda U looks great.

Look, you just missed the biggest creature in that sequence.

That giant alien dude kinda throws a wrench in your argument.

ckmprm.gif

I watched all the trailers the game is diffidently is not using dynamic lighting, the player shadows almost never change in shape and size.

ozfunghi

Other than some character designs, i would like them to sort out their physics though. The guy from the last trailer, can jump over hedges like he's jumping on the moon. Ok, maybe there is less gravity on the planet, no problem... but looking at the animation of the herd of catlike tankbeasts, it just doesn't make sense. They have way to little "airtime" or "hangtime", however you want to call it.

KoopaTheCasual

Why are people arguing about lighting in a game like this? Is the main strength of this game not it's crazy vertical scale? Who cares about shadows?

Some of the faces are super weird, i admit, but some like Elma's bother me less, because her overall design is pretty cool.

Atram

People in this thread need to go back and watch an OG xenoblade cutscene before saying how shitty these ones are in comparison.

I really don't see the problem. People don't like the eyes of two of the characters of an unfinished rpg supposedly 5 times the size of xenoblade, therefore, character design is the worst ever. Give me a break. Say you don't like the eyes but enough of the hyperbole. Thanks.

I just want to be hyped. Wont somebody be hyped with me?

The most time of the Game i will look at the back of the character, so the design is fine for me (but not may favorit design for an rpg), alternative is you can use a huge Doll to hide it.

Monolith is realy awesome in using the limited WiiU Hardware.

The most time of the Game i will look at the back of the character, so the design is fine for me (but not may favorit design for an rpg), alternative is you can use a huge Doll to hide it.

Monolith is realy awesome in using the limited WiiU Hardware.

Exactly!! Why worry about the faces when your going to be FIGHTING DINOSAURS IN A MECH

Atram

It's a JRPG, dude. A Tetsuya Takahashi JRPG nonetheless.

How the characters look in a serious cutscene is extremely important in story-driven games.

if the Story is Awesome they can look like shit. If the Story will suck then.....

You are still wrong.

I hate to give the bad news, but i'm right.

Sun height doesnt affect shadows at all. Here sun is about in 30 degree, but shadow is cast from 80 degree. So lighting is static, mostly prebaked. Shadow resolution looks like 1024k, original post by KKRT00

ib0LBs7iUgMmJ1.jpg

it's clearly static lighting, this is a fact.

Atram

Sun height doesnt affect shadows at all. Here sun is about in 30 degree, but shadow is cast from 80 degree. So lighting is static, mostly prebaked. Shadow resolution looks like 1024k, original post by KKRT00

ib0LBs7iUgMmJ1.jpg

why are you showing us alpha pics from the announcement video in Jan. 2013? and the Planet could have more than one Sun :)

The two are interconnected.

This isn't a book.

Clearly, but not everyone else does.

This is something that everyone has to decide by himself :) But i understand if someone has problem with it

wsippel

Banned

ib0LBs7iUgMmJ1.jpg

it's clearly static lighting, this is a fact.
The lighting is dynamic, but the character model's shadows aren't cast by the sun. As you noticed yourself, the shadows do move and change shape and size based on the time of day, but not to the extent they should. They are cast by an invisible light source that moves with the sun but always stays close to the zenith. I assume they either did this for performance reasons (might be related to the large number of billboards, actually), to help with platforming (using the shadow to aim is an old and common trick), or both.

Oh boy lighting talk in a JRPG thread, yay! What is more important to me is actually having HD towns! I have been a proponent of going back to Suikoden 1 & 2 and pre Final Fantasy 7 RPGs if it meant having more places to go and more NPCs to interact with in those places. So here we have a huge HD and 3D JRPG with cities and all, and we have folks complaining about lighting and such.

Everyone has a right to be critical and have an opinion. Just be careful what you wish for, or else you may end up with just some beautiful hallways instead. FFXV may be the closest we will get to having our JRPG graphics and exploration cake and eating it too, but that game has been in development for ages, and we really don't know much about how towns and NPCs will be in that game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In the next year(s) there we will get two of the best and biggest JRPGs to date. That should be a reason of celebration.

wmlk

final-fantasy-vii-real-cloud.png

you could pretty much imagine close to anything you wanted with the details of those models.

The lack of detail allowed players to form their story in their head. More like a book than film.

As games have progressed and have reached a higher level of fidelity, games are approaching cinema-level storytelling.

The reason why The Last of Us did as well as it did is because of the incredibly convincing characters. The story was told through its characters like film, and that part was state of the art for video games.

It's not about filling in the details anymore. Xenoblade X employs filmic camera angles in cutscenes, full voice acting, realistically proportioned character models, etc., but it's not very convincing to a lot of people. For character driven story games, that's a big deal.

KoopaTheCasual

Oh boy lighting talk in a JRPG thread, yay! What is more important to me is actually having HD towns! I have been a proponent of going back to Suikoden 1 & 2 and pre Final Fantasy 7 RPGs if it meant having more places to go and more NPCs to interact with in those places. So here we have a huge HD and 3D JRPG with cities and all, and we have folks complaining about lighting and such.

Everyone has a right to be critical and have an opinion. Just be careful what you wish for, or else you may end up with just some beautiful hallways instead. FFXV may be the closest we will get to having our JRPG graphics and exploration cake and eating it too, but that game has been in development for ages, and we really don't know much about how towns and NPCs will be in that game.
All dis.
In the next year(s) there we will get two of the best and biggest JRPGs to date. That should be a reason of celebration.
Nah, gotta fight and argue about lighting and polygons. Gotta love modern gaming.

The lighting is dynamic, but the character model's shadows aren't cast by the sun. As you noticed yourself, the shadows do move and change shape and size based on the time of day, but not to the extent they should. They are cast by an invisible light source that moves with the sun but always stays close to the zenith. I assume they either did this for performance reasons (might be related to the large number of billboards, actually), to help with platforming (using the shadow to aim is an old and common trick), or both.

Nice break down on what they might be doing.

Ninjablade is just trolling at this point.

a mixture of static and prebaked lighting can do those tricks, here a video that shows dynamic lighting properly, you don't see nothing like this in X, its like a night and day difference. you're explanation basically defeats the whole point of having dynamic lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROWml_4sYQ

wmlk

my point exactly.

What? The problem with Xenoblade X isn't the lack of detail but how poor the character models look. The detail is there, but it just looks bad.

By what basis are you comparing this

screenshot3.jpg

to this?

final-fantasy-vii-real-cloud.png

They're fundamentally different.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
what about open a thread dedicated to the Dynamic VS Static Lighting (in XcX or any other game)?
that would be great (for this topic)!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually do like a lot of the characters shown, just not Elma.
I imagine their faces don't look great since the characters are really small in this game
since the world is built to scale with the mechs which are 5x bigger
At least you can make a pretty decent looking protagonist with the character creator

I actually think elma looks awesome

Atram

What? The problem with Xenoblade X isn't the lack of detail but how poor the character models look. The detail is there, but it just looks bad.

so you mean we can not enjoy the Story and have a blast with the plot because it didn´t look like TLoU?

i think i missed the part where Nintendo and Monolith promised a Cinematic Experience or that every Game needs to be cinematic. 80% of the New Games Fail in this Field and Yes i´m speaking about PS4one Games.

a mixture of static and prebaked lighting can do those tricks, here a video that shows dynamic lighting properly, you don't see nothing like this in X, its like a night and day difference. you're explanation basically defeats the whole point of having dynamic lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROWml_4sYQ

But you still haven't told me what you think of X (a ps2 game in your mind) when compared to FF13... a PS3 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom