• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

45h and only chapter 6, Jesus Christ. The
5th billionaire is soon down though
and I have done every single substory in the game so far (only about 20 or so left?). I think I'll finish the game and all 100 substories as well as
both management quests for Kiryu and Majima
and put the game on hold afterwards for Persona 5. I definitely aim to 100% down the line however.

Rymuth

TIL: Osaka is known for tiger-stripe-wearing Obaachans.

534f741f4b36c294ad517eae0bc39d82.jpg
That's scarier than Mr Shakedown

shmoglish

Maybe 4-5 hours or so.
Oh, less than expected. Thank you. And as far as I know I can still do all the sidequests and stuff after finishing the game, right? Already played the game for 100 hours and just want to finish it right now, bu I want also come back in the future, maybe plat it.

Oh, less than expected. Thank you. And as far as I know I can still do all the sidequests and stuff after finishing the game, right? Already played the game for 100 hours and just want to finish it right now, bu I want also come back in the future, maybe plat it.

Premium Adventure mode lets you do anything you didn't complete such as side stories, mini games etc.

Also, the final chapter has some insanely long cutscenes/endings so make sure you have a good 2 hours at least put aside for the finale!

THE_W1TCHER

Neo Member
first post on gaf :D

I have only played yakuza 5. (thanks to ps plus)

I really enjoyed kiryu's chapter. it was fun, a little weired and i liked the combat to be honest.
but saejima's chapter was so boring i stopped playing and I may not get myself to play it again.

would I enjoy yakuza 0? or should i skip it and go for Nier?

I really enjoyed kiryu's chapter. it was fun, a little weired and i liked the combat to be honest.
but saejima's chapter was so boring i stopped playing and I may not get myself to play it again.

you will definitely enjoy yakuza 0.

i played yakuza 5, only kiryu's chapter and i immediately lost interest after seeing that I had to play as someone else. there's only the 2 characters you play as in this game, and the other is a staple main - majima.

go for it.

Jimrpg

45h and only chapter 6, Jesus Christ. The
5th billionaire is soon down though
and I have done every single substory in the game so far (only about 20 or so left?). I think I'll finish the game and all 100 substories as well as
both management quests for Kiryu and Majima
and put the game on hold afterwards for Persona 5. I definitely aim to 100% down the line however.

I just finished Chapter 6 and it was thoroughly amazing. Maybe the best the series has ever been!

I'm shocked the writing is sooo good. Yakuza writing has always been good if maybe needing a little editing. It's just perfect here, pacing and build up of drama is just right in every scene.

Kiryus chapter is great in Y5. Saejimas part is really bad, the worst in the series in my opinion. Y5 is still a decent game to play though it's very long and the main quest takes 45hrs so not everyone may have the time to do that.

But Yakuza 0 is so far ahead of every other game in the series it's definitely worth playing. Don't skip it. The drama really reaches new heights from what I've played (chapter 6 so far) and I hear it only gets better. This is a 9.5-10/10. And I only gave Y5 a 6.5.

THE_W1TCHER

Neo Member
you will definitely enjoy yakuza 0.

i played yakuza 5, only kiryu's chapter and i immediately lost interest after seeing that I had to play as someone else. there's only the 2 characters you play as in this game, and the other is a staple main - majima.

go for it.

thank you. I bought it. lets go visit urban japan.

ar4757

Beat the game yesterday! I had made it to the (not really a spoiler)
point of no return
but wanted to get as much done as possible first, because once I beat a game I probably won't 100% it. I've never plat'd a Yakuza before, or gotten 100%, but I finished the completion yesterday, and right when I got the Catfight trophy (grrrrr) I was good to go. Now I just have to do Climax Battles and a Legend playthrough, which will come after Persona 5, maybe this summer. With all said and done, 0 probably topped Yakuza 2 for me!

Currently enjoying the hell out of the cabaret club stuff, nearly completed it.
I liked the real estate stuff but this is even more fun for me.
Also the makeup music is a guilty pleasure lol

What's with the people saying Saejima's chapter in Y5 sucks? You smash a bear in the face twice (I think?) and become an expert hunter in some remote nomad village. wtfwtfwtf.

Although the rest of the chapter isn't great. The prison section is boring outside of breaking out of it.

thank you. I bought it. lets go visit urban japan.

Good call.

Yakuza 0 feels like Sega looked at Yakuza 5, pinpointed its main issues (i.e. THE SPRAWL, pacing), and set out to fix pretty much everything people disliked about it. I think you will be quite satisfied.

What's with the people saying Saejima's chapter in Y5 sucks?
You smash a bear in the face twice (I think?) and become an expert hunter in some remote nomad village.
wtfwtfwtf.

Although the rest of the chapter isn't great.
The prison section is boring outside of breaking out of it.

I liked it enough but it really destroys the momentum of the game up to that point, both in terms of story and gameplay. Won't spoil the rest of it (I also put spoiler tags in the quote just in case) but it's very different from the rest of the game, even more so than the chapter that follows. And after the twists and turns of Kiryu's section, it's weird for Yakuza 5 to set all of it aside to do something completely different for a long while.

Yakuza 0 doesn't have this problem because of how often you're switching back and forth between the two protagonists. It's like you're watching episodes of a TV show where every other episode focuses on a different person, versus trying to watch several miniseries in one go.

Sorry if missed something super obvious but, does Shakedown (in both Kamurocho and Sotenbori) get stronger/more of a life bar, every time you beat him? He's simple with Kiryu, but made of pure iron with Majima where I've managed to beat him a few times.

Sorry if missed something super obvious but, does Shakedown (in both Kamurocho and Sotenbori) get stronger/more of a life bar, every time you beat him? He's simple with Kiryu, but made of pure iron with Majima where I've managed to beat him a few times.

His health gets ridiculous later on. The first couple of times I beat him "legit", but at some point I just took out my zap gun to take care of him. He doesn't really get much harder as the battles progress but it can get really tedious if you just use your fists.

Maaaan getting the
fifth area in chapter 6 to 90% so I can beat the Media King
is a drag. I'm almost there but it's talking a long while and I have little else to do in the meantime. I'm trying some batting and it's working out well I guess. Still tedious at this point. I even upgraded my business CP branch fully.

After Yakuza 0 I got to finish Yakuza 4 (I really hate 3), and I can now fully understand majima and saejima history. Good stuff. Music was bad tho, not any level with 0. Downloading Yakuza 5 now and them the long wait for 6 :(

Kiwami seems more of the same

if I was to rate the main franchise so far, would be something like this:

0>4>2>1>3

Jimrpg

What's with the people saying Saejima's chapter in Y5 sucks? You smash a bear in the face twice (I think?) and become an expert hunter in some remote nomad village. wtfwtfwtf.

Although the rest of the chapter isn't great. The prison section is boring outside of breaking out of it.

The main story in 5 is pretty lengthy, its twice the length of any other Yakuza main story and I felt they really dragged it out, especially in Saejima's chapter and also the following hapter.
The game takes ages to develop Park's character to create some emotional impact when she dies, which is fine for the reveal but really drags out all the scenes she's in.

Saejima's section also feels like a rehash of Yakuza 4 where he is also attempting to break out of prison. And Yakuza 4 did a way better job with pacing and didn't feel nearly as long in prison. Yakuza 5 really takes its time and when Saejima finally breaks out, he ends up stuck on a mountain with not a whole lot to do (at least if you're following the main quest line only).

Finished the first M
iracle
J
ohnson
substory. A little cheesy, but all the song title mentions in the dialogue were a nice touch.

I still have so much to finish before Persona 5 comes out...looking unlikely that I'll make it. Hopefully at least I can finish the real estate and cabaret games.

Beat the game yesterday! I had made it to the (not really a spoiler)
point of no return
but wanted to get as much done as possible first, because once I beat a game I probably won't 100% it. I've never plat'd a Yakuza before, or gotten 100%, but I finished the completion yesterday, and right when I got the Catfight trophy (grrrrr) I was good to go. Now I just have to do Climax Battles and a Legend playthrough, which will come after Persona 5, maybe this summer. With all said and done, 0 probably topped Yakuza 2 for me!

That's the point I'm at but the climax Battles are giving me real trouble, I'm not good enough at the combat for them. So like you I'll move onto P5 for now and come back another time. Determined to platinum it XD

Yeah, he gets more lifebars the more times you beat him, but at some point maxes out. The money he carries around also goes up, to the point where you can make between 1 - 2 billion Yen every time you beat him, so he's a great source of income. :)

Just stock up on Tauriner ++ at the drugstore, add a bunch of weapons to your inventory, and use heat action moves with weapons on him, he'll be down in a minute. Do mix up the use of weapons though, because the damage you do with heat actions decreases the more times you use the same one in the fight. Slime shotgun or Zap Gun are also great ways to take care of him, so invest some money into weapon searches at the chinese restaurant while playing as Majima.

I see.
Is the story as good as 0 or 4?

I can't really comment on comparing 4 and 5 since my memories on parts of 4 are hazy (really need to replay it) but from what I remember 4 has a better payoff and a better set of final bosses story wise (though technically I'd say the final boss of 5 is more fun to fight gameplay wise than the very last boss you fight in 4).

The "issue" with 5 is the length. The game pads out certain sections of the game and having the game go back to low level characters and basic tutorials every few chapters to introduce a new character hurts the pacing. Where as 0 in particular is smart about it and has you bounce between Majima and Kiryu ever other chapter which just causes the game to flow better, plus putting two stories together is a much easier task than the way they did it for 5 which was a bit messy in parts.

Plus 5 has Shinada in it which mainly focuses on Baseball for his chapter and only later ties into the main story, however I loved the character and some of his supporting cast (plus the overall mystery of his chapter) so your mileage may very with him.

Definitely play 5, it's a great primer for Yakuza 6 next year (since 6 carries some main plot points over from 5). 5 definitely isn't my favourite game in the series story wise, but its probably up there as my favourite content wise, 100%ing that game is possibly the most fun I had with the series - or any series (its a close one between 0 and 5) due to the diverse and fun range of content.

One thing I will add about Yakuza 5: I like its batting cage minigame a lot more than Yakuza 0's (though I didn't get very far in 0, so maybe it's way more fun to do the Gold Rush stuff). Also, Shinada walking up with
a giant fried shrimp for a bat
never, ever, EVER gets old.

Newboi

So...I just got Yakuza 0 a couple of days ago and only recently started playing...this game is AWESOME! This game is so quirky and Japanese it's hilarious.

I'm still getting used to the fighting system. It feels somewhat clunky though. It seems like there's a small amount of input buffering going on with no way to cancel attack animations. The dodging is also extremely finicky. Your dodge is extremely short and I can't even tell if there are any invincibility frames. Combine this with the issue that blocking only works in the direction you're facing, fighting leads to some real frustrations at times. I'm not very far in the game at all though, so maybe things change?

The last point on the subject of fighting, the Apex Predator quest with the giant man is incredibly cheap. It seems like I have to use incredibly boring hit and run tactics to damage him. I really got annoyed that his final charge level literally kills you in one combo. Why even give you the option to git up off the ground if he gets a guaranteed stomp. He was like two or three hits away from being defeated!!!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game so far and look forward to all of the fun side activities I can take part in.

Does anyone know if I should just sell the plates I get? Are they used for anything else? I have a Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond plate.

So...I just got Yakuza 0 a couple of days ago and only recently started playing...this game is AWESOME! This game is so quirky and Japanese it's hilarious.

I'm still getting used to the fighting system. It feels somewhat clunky though. It seems like there's a small amount of input buffering going on with no way to cancel attack animations. The dodging is also extremely finicky. Your dodge is extremely short and I can't even tell if there are any invincibility frames. Combine this with the issue that blocking only works in the direction you're facing, fighting leads to some real frustrations at times. I'm not very far in the game at all though, so maybe things change?

The last point on the subject of fighting, the Apex Predator quest with the giant man is incredibly cheap. It seems like I have to use incredibly boring hit and run tactics to damage him. I really got annoyed that his final charge level literally kills you in one combo. Why even give you the option to git up off the ground if he gets a guaranteed stomp. He was like two or three hits away from being defeated!!!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game so far and look forward to all of the fun side activities I can take part in.

Does anyone know if I should just sell the plates I get? Are they used for anything else? I have a Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond plate.

Other people can advise about buffering and cancels, I never seem to play at a high enough difficulty to require those kinds of skills. Regarding dodges, I believe there are invincibility frames, as previous games had skills that would extend the invincibility period during a dodge. Blocking is generally directional, but certain fighting styles change this. The game is pretty upfront about this when you get certain styles so you probably just haven't hit that part of the story yet (it's very early, like chapter 2 I believe).

If Apex Predator is the quest that introduces you to Mr. Shakedown, he's supposed to be cheap. There are easy ways to cheese him if you want to, but you should also eventually get good enough with the combat system and unlock enough stuff to take care of him okay (you're already pretty close, it sounds like).

Sell all plates, they're just there for cash.

Just sell them.

Also, I've been to the real life location Sotenbori is based on recently, and unlike Kabukicho, it isn't really a 1:1 recreation, more like they took the famous parts of the area and placed it all in one map. Like north and south are inverted, there is no SEGA presence in the real life area, Hozenji is not in the correct area, and the game in no way conveyed the sheer amount of crowds in real life. But still, coming back to the game and slowly walking around the area in-game is a great experience.

Your dodge is extremely short and I can't even tell if there are any invincibility frames. Combine this with the issue that blocking only works in the direction you're facing, fighting leads to some real frustrations at times. I'm not very far in the game at all though, so maybe things change?

Dodging improves as you unlock abilities. Also, dodges vary in effectiveness based on fighting style. For instance Kiryu's Rush style is best for handling crowds as its dodge is the fastest. (unless you have items nearby, in which case Beast is great because you automatically pick those up as you punch) It definitely can be frustrating when you get ganged up on, so you have to be proactive about not getting trapped. Go in for some hits, dodge again, repeat. As you upgrade abilities it gets much easier to handle groups.

Hang on a second! I had heard to fight
Amon
you gotta get all CP, to which I said "Fuck that.". Now I hear all you gotta do is finish all substories per character? That would be a lot more sensible and I was almost done with that anyway when I left the game. So which is it?

Amon
you gotta get all CP, to which I said "Fuck that.". Now I hear all you gotta do is finish all substories per character? That would be a lot more sensible and I was almost done with that anyway when I left the game. So which is it?

Complete all other substories, CP has nothing to do with it.

Amon
Complete all other substories, CP has nothing to do with it.
IIRC that fight has always been after finishing all sub-stories and not 100%-ing the games.

Btw, congrats on your new avatar luce!
Though I had soft spot for your fang :)

Thanks. It's Poison Ivy, the DC comics villain. I'm really hyped for Injustice 2 so I switched my avatar to match my new main!

I was gonna ask you to add the Yakuza supporter tag but it would have covered the loveliest part
s
of the avatar.

Thanks. It's Poison Ivy, the DC comics villain. I'm really hyped for Injustice 2 so I switched my avatar to match my new main!

I was gonna ask you to add the Yakuza supporter tag but it would have covered the loveliest part
s
of the avatar.
Hahaha, so true.

Anyway, never hesitate to ask for a Yakuza banner :)

IIRC that fight has always been after finishing all sub-stories and not 100%-ing the games.

Depends on the game, Amon requirements have gotten progressively easier:
Yakuza 1 requires you to beat all the side stories (making sure you don't fail any of course!). I forget if there is any arena requirements for him in the first game or whether that was just a bonus (I just remember Komaki being a nightmare!)

Yakuza 2 has the most complex set of requirements out there:
All side stories (again, don't fail/miss any which is super easy to do in places), locker keys? (I think), you have to unlock all abilities/moves as you go (some of which are fairly tough to track down), pull off every heat move in the game (including the ones that can only be done in certain story fights and boss fights), defeat everyone in the arena including the rare fighters etc. And you have around 10? hostesses in the game? (I'm sure its between 7-10, its a big number is my point!) AND you have host and hostess club management side stories to complete.

Yakuza 3 is easy, just do the side stories, but Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is harder since as part of the side stories you need to clear the hostess club management mini game (not in the English version) which can be fairly difficult if you either don't follow a guide or don't know what your doing.

Y4, 5, Ishin, 0 all have you just do all the side stories which is nice and straight forward. Yakuza 6 is hilariously easy as you don't even have to do all the side stories - just do 2 specific ones and then you get to fight Amon (but really fighting him without leveling up heavily is a crazy idea as he's pretty darn powerful still).

I think Kenzan has a more complex set of requirements compared to 3 and up, just less complicated than 2. I still need to go back and fight him in Kenzan, its the one game I've never unlocked his fight, as I got screwed out of one side story.

Depends on the game, Amon requirements have gotten progressively easier:
Yakuza 1 requires you to beat all the side stories (making sure you don't fail any of course!). I forget if there is any arena requirements for him in the first game or whether that was just a bonus (I just remember Komaki being a nightmare!)

Yakuza 2 has the most complex set of requirements out there:
All side stories (again, don't fail/miss any which is super easy to do in places), locker keys? (I think), you have to unlock all abilities/moves as you go (some of which are fairly tough to track down), pull off every heat move in the game (including the ones that can only be done in certain story fights and boss fights), defeat everyone in the arena including the rare fighters etc. And you have around 10? hostesses in the game? (I'm sure its between 7-10, its a big number is my point!) AND you have host and hostess club management side stories to complete.

Yakuza 3 is easy, just do the side stories, but Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is harder since as part of the side stories you need to clear the hostess club management mini game (not in the English version) which can be fairly difficult if you either don't follow a guide or don't know what your doing.

Y4, 5, Ishin, 0 all have you just do all the side stories which is nice and straight forward. Yakuza 6 is hilariously easy as you don't even have to do all the side stories - just do 2 specific ones and then you get to fight Amon (but really fighting him without leveling up heavily is a crazy idea as he's pretty darn powerful still).

I think Kenzan has a more complex set of requirements compared to 3 and up, just less complicated than 2. I still need to go back and fight him in Kenzan, its the one game I've never unlocked his fight, as I got screwed out of one side story.
Thank you for the write-up, Shadow.

I've only beaten him from Y3 and onward, so didn't know about his conditions in other titles. Man, that Yakuza 2 list is crazy! Hopefully, they'll change it for Kiwami 2 (pls Sega).

By the way, speaking of Amon, I still haven't fought him in this one. I really have to come back to Yakuza 0 (and Nier) after finishing Persona 5. So many great games.

Top Bottom