• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Metal Gear Solid fans should really check out the Yakuza games. Compelling story with fleshed out characters, great voice acting, absolutely absurd situations followed by compelling scenes and a sense of wackiness and hilarity that stays prevalent throughout the game.

In fact, an MGS fan amongst you should really make a thread about that or post it in your community threads. I'd do it but I'm not that big on MGS personally tbh.

Metal Gear Solid fans should really check out the Yakuza games. Compelling story with fleshed out characters, great voice acting, absolutely absurd situations followed by compelling scenes and a sense of wackiness and hilarity that stays prevalent throughout the game.

I couldn't agree more. It really nails the serious/quirky tone MGS has. Do we get to play as Majima in Kiwami?

I couldn't agree more. It really nails the serious/quirky tone MGS has. Do we get to play as Majima in Kiwami?

Nah, Majima's only been playable in Dead Souls (A zombie shooter spin off) and Yakuza 0. He is a major character in almost every game though, and in Kiwami they actually gave him more scenes and an expanded role for gameplay and story to tie in to the connection they've made in Yakuza 0.

EDIT: Kiryu's always been the main protagnist in every mainline Yakuza game.

• Yakuza 1 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 2 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 3 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 4 = Kiryu, Akiyama (DA GOD), Saejima and Tanimura
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls = Kiryu, Majima, Akiyama and Ryuji Goda
  • Yakuza 5 = Kiryu, Akiyama (DA GOD), Saejima, Haruka and Shinada
  • Yakuza 0 = Kiryu, Majima
  • Yakuza 6 = KIRYU
  • Future = ?????

Nah, Majima's only been playable in Dead Souls (A zombie shooter spin off) and Yakuza 0. He is a major character in almost every game though, and in Kiwami they actually gave him more scenes and an expanded role for gameplay and story to tie in to the connection they've made in Yakuza 0.

Thanks for the context around Dead Souls. A shame, but man, 0 has sold me on this universe and gameplay style.

Cronen

I'm on chapter 6, and part of me just wants to put the story to one side for now and focus on the real estate stuff. I have 100% of the Leisure King's area and it has me hooked.

Rymuth

In fact, an MGS fan amongst you should really make a thread about that or post it in your community threads. I'd do it but I'm not that big on MGS personally tbh.
I'm actually sitting on an MGS/Yakuza thread ; it's actually a Kojima vs Nagoshi thread but you get my point.

Gonna wait until Y6 before I publish it.

After (finally) finishing this game the other day (with a 75 hour clock time in the end up) I've been thinking that this is not only my favourite Yakuza game (been playing them since the PS2 era) but my favourite game of the generation. Even with all of these other amazing games coming out, Yakuza 0 is still sitting on top for me. The bosses, the music, the visuals, the storyline, the characters, the brutal beat 'em up gameplay (which is the best yet) and the ending are all 10/10 quality tier for me.

I'm still reeling from the ending now.
It's going to be hard to top this game.

After (finally) finishing this game the other day (with a 75 hour clock time in the end up) I've been thinking that this is not only my favourite Yakuza game (been playing them since the PS2 era) but my favourite game of the generation. Even with all of these other amazing games coming out, Yakuza 0 is still sitting on top for me. The bosses, the music, the visuals, the storyline, the characters, the brutal beat 'em up gameplay (which is the best yet) and the ending are all 10/10 quality tier for me.

I'm still reeling from the ending now.
It's going to be hard to top this game.

I can't remember the last time I used to dick around with all the side content during post-game in an open world game. Maybe Vice City? I really don't know.

I'm not a Japanese culture expert (honor and shame etc etc), but I feel like this is a common thread through many Japanese games, this intertwining of the serious and the absurd, as if they feel the need to balance the serious with the lighthearted to achieve a sense of harmony.

^Definitely. This is not exclusive to MGS and Yakuza. I play shitloads of Japanese games, they have a unique sense of humour, which I like.

I can't remember the last time I used to dick around with all the side content during post-game in an open world game. Maybe Vice City? I really don't know.

For sure. I will be going back at some point to finish them up via Premium Adventure mode, once the backlog of amazing games coming out gets done (P5 out in a day or two, playing Gravity Rush 2 at the moment alongside Dark Souls 3 DLC).

The side quests in this game are among the best I've played and like you say, Vice City, another masterpiece of gaming, very much carries the atmosphere and that joyful feeling when playing the game that just makes you feel good. The game just gives me good vibes. It's really carrying the essence of classic SEGA for me.

WetWaffle

Might as well ask, how do I befriend Mr. Libido as Majima? I went to that erotic video a few times to make him appear but he stopped, I see him around from time to time, he recommends a few girls, I try and find them but nothing happens. What do I do?

Might as well ask, how do I befriend Mr. Libido as Majima? I went to that erotic video a few times to make him appear but he stopped, I see him around from time to time, he recommends a few girls, I try and find them but nothing happens. What do I do?

Collect those erotic videos. As you collect more erotic videos, the more encounters unlock.

Collect those erotic videos. As you collect more erotic videos, the more encounters unlock.

And you do this by meeting these girls in substories and completing those. Which in turn feeds back into the two main side activities, because characters from those substories will join you as hostess or manager or whatever. And progressing in those two main side activities unlocks new combat abilities. It's ingenious how it all feeds into itself in a way that all the sidestuff doesn't just come across as pointless fluff. The security staff you appointed for Real Estate will even sometimes help you in combat when you're in their assigned area, with unique 2-man heat moves and everything.

wedca

I'm not a Japanese culture expert (honor and shame etc etc), but I feel like this is a common thread through many Japanese games, this intertwining of the serious and the absurd, as if they feel the need to balance the serious with the lighthearted to achieve a sense of harmony.

There is a concept explored in Japanese media (the manga Bakuman comes to mind) called serious humor, which is basically about taking a silly/unimportant situation very seriously to create humorous contrast. Iron Chef has been doing this for a long time and Yakuza 0 uses it to great effect
the magazine quest has this kind of vibe

Shaneus

There is a concept explored in Japanese media (the manga Bakuman comes to mind) called serious humor, which is basically about taking a silly/unimportant situation very seriously to create humorous contrast. Iron Chef has been doing this for a long time and Yakuza 0 uses it to great effect
the magazine quest has this kind of vibe
I'd say almost all of them do. I hope the other Yakuza games do as well, because I find that stuff hilarious when pulled off well.

It's hard to finish the side content when I spend half my time just looking around at the city. Every time I go down a street I seem to find some new detail. You can tell there was real love put into making the streets seem real and lived-in. Last night in Sotenbori I found a bathroom you can walk into that I'd never noticed before (it's by the left bridge, near the phone booth). Pretty disgusting bathroom, with beer cans in the urinals and vomit on the floor. Lots of graffiti on the walls I wish I could read. One of those things most people will never see, but some level designer built it anyway.

Speaking of things I can't understand, I wish they had translated the banter made during minigame vs. matches. I know there's gotta be some good insults being made.

ubiblu

• Yakuza 1 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 2 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 3 = Kiryu
  • Yakuza 4 = Kiryu, Akiyama (DA GOD), Saejima and Tanimura
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls = Kiryu, Majima, Akiyama and Ryuji Goda
  • Yakuza 5 = Kiryu, Akiyama (DA GOD), Saejima, Haruka and Shinada
  • Yakuza 0 = Kiryu, Majima
  • Yakuza 6 = KIRYU
  • Future = ?????

Kiryu is the least compelling character in the game universe. Yakuza 7 will hopefully revolve around Majima, Saejima, and Akiyama.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for the car chase segment on Legend? having a tough time with it. Hitboxes seems really inconsistent can't figure out why sometime I instakill someone other times it takes me 2 shots despite always being right on the head with heateye.

Edit: Nvm, got it. Spamming heateye + luck did the trick.

Rymuth

Kiryu is the least compelling character in the game universe. Yakuza 7 will hopefully revolve around Majima, Saejima, and Akiyama.
As a character, Kiryu's arc peaked with 3 (given that game's ending, would've been a perfect send off) - he had less and less personality in 4-5.

I envision that they'll try to salavge Black Panther's protagonist, recycle him into a fresh young character if and when they continue the series

RhZq5Vb2u.gif

Where ever he is, The Artisan has a twitch in his eye that he can't explain.

Though I agree with you. Kiryu's gotten enough games, it's time for a Yakuza 7 featuring Akiyama and Majima.

xezuru

I'm pretty bummed the actor for Tanimura retired so we're likely to never have him in the series again. I thought he was easily the best character considering the new perspective in job, nationality, and part of kamurocho. Akiyama is kinda nothing but a really high charisma stat and they keep putting Saejima in scenarios where he isn't able to add much rofll. 😒

I'm pretty bummed the actor for Tanimura retired so we're likely to never have him in the series again. I thought he was easily the best character considering the new perspective in job, nationality, and part of kamurocho. Akiyama is kinda nothing but a really high charisma stat and they keep putting Saejima in scenarios where he isn't able to add much rofll. ��
You're absolutely right.

Except for the Akiyama is nothing but charisma part. Dude has a humble and giving nature to him that no other protagonist has. His sidequests involving the man from his past in Yakuza 5 really confirmed that.

Mutant

So uh, is there a good trophy guide to this game? Premium Adventure Mode has turned out to be a pretty chill experience that I like.

Also I'd buy a full game version of that disco minigame.

Aenima

I think Kyriu will always be in the main Yakuza games. The name of the game in Japan is Ryū ga Gotoku, translated Like a Dragon. And Kyriu is "The Dragon of Dogima".

And to be honest i dont want a main Yakuza game without my man Kyriu, the way the series are with multiple playable characters is the best aproach. But kyriu needs to be there.

I think Kyriu will always be in the main Yakuza games. The name of the game in Japan is Ryū ga Gotoku, translated Like a Dragon. And Kyriu "The Dragon of Dogima".

And to be honest i dont want a main Yakuza game without my man Kyriu, the way the series are with multiple playable characters is the best aproach. But kyriu needs to be there.
They've already confirmed that Yakuza 6 is the last game that features Kiryu as the protagonist. Kiryu's story (at least as a protagonist) is now done.

WetWaffle

They've already confirmed that Yakuza 6 is the last game that features Kiryu as the protagonist. Kiryu's story (at least as a protagonist) is now done.

And thank God for that, Kiryu was just so bland. I barely paid attention to his story in this one cause I kept wanting to go back to Majima. Now that I'm on Premium adventure, Kiryu doesn't exist anymore lol

Aenima

Not happy with that. :( But i agree that Kyriu story is already exausted, so another main character will be welcome.
When i found out Yakuza 4 had 4 playable characters i didnt liked much that idea, but after finishing the game it became my favorith Yakuza. So im pretty sure whatever they do with the characters will be well done. As long the Yakuza games keep the same formula of telling a good story filled with crazy side stuff do filled with great humour. They will always have my money day 1.

Kiryu has a Hank Hill charm to him.

Yeah, as much as I'm okay with Kiryu being done after 6 and would be excited to see a new series protagonist, I'll always take another game with him. I actually quite liked his arc in 5. 4 felt a little shoehorned in, though.

I would love for the next Yakuza game to do another time hop and feature Shintaro Kazama. Taking place in 60s or 70s Tokyo.

xezuru

Like A Tiger -> Shawshank Simulator ->
Saejima looks at the sky, "What's the point of being on the top of the food chain when you live in a cage."
-> Sidequest where someone smuggles him a monkey instead of a wood chipper.

WizdogC

Neo Member
First time playing a Yakuza game. One question, is there any type of "Free-roam" mode after the story that lets you complete Real Estate Management/Substories etc? Or can you only do those during the chapters that they're available in?

Thanks!

First time playing a Yakuza game. One question, is there any type of "Free-roam" mode after the story that lets you complete Real Estate Management/Substories etc? Or can you only do those during the chapters that they're available in?

Thanks!

Yes, it's called Premium Adventure mode and it unlocks once you finish the story. It's exactly as you imagine, lets you do all the side stuff on your own time and picks up right where you left off when you finished the story.

WizdogC

Neo Member
Yes, it's called Premium Adventure mode and it unlocks once you finish the story. It's exactly as you imagine, lets you do all the side stuff on your own time and picks up right where you left off when you finished the story.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know! I was going through it at a snails pace until now since I didn't want to miss anything and it was ruining the pacing of the story for me since I'd spend hours just trying to complete substories and earn CP.

And on top of that, whatever progress you make during Premium Adventure can always be carried over to New Game+. And you can even start Premium Adventure without loading your cleared game progress, in which I imagine you do nothing but the side content but starting from scratch. Never did that though, so I might be wrong.

WizdogC

Neo Member
And on top of that, whatever progress you make during Premium Adventure can always be carried over to New Game+. And you can even start Premium Adventure without loading your cleared game progress, in which I imagine you do nothing but the side content but starting from scratch. Never did that though, so I might be wrong.

With all these games coming out I don't know if I'd be able to do New Game Plus (Especially with Persona literally around the corner and I still have barely touched Zelda) haha, but That's good to know if I ever come back to it.

Really enjoying it a lot. Exactly what I wanted and it's hitting the spot.

I'm sure for people who have played the other games this is something they don't notice, but as Yakuza 0 is my first in the series, I'm impressed by the crowd AI. Yeah the animations and models are outdated, but the way they interact with each other really makes it feel like people are just going about their business, on dates, or hanging out with friends. It's a thin illusion, but an illusion that works most of the time. And that's more than I can say for most game NPCs.

A little pedantic, but it's set during the time period right before the final chapter I think, hence the fact that
Bar Serena
is (unfortunately) unavailable, though that doesn't affect any side content.

I'm sure for people who have played the other games this is something they don't notice, but as Yakuza 0 is my first in the series, I'm impressed by the crowd AI. Yeah the animations and models are outdated, but the way they interact really makes it feel like people are just going about their business, on dates, or hanging out with friends. It's a thin illusion, but an illusion that works most of the time. And that's more than I can say for most game NPCs.

The best thing about the NPCs is bumping into them. Never gets old.

One thing I do miss from Yakuza 0 are the obligatory RPG townsfolk NPCs that you can just talk to. The previous games had those, you know, NPCs that would just stand around in the streets and give the usual RPG flavor dialogue if you spoke to them, like "Nice wheather, eh?" or whatever trivial shit they came up with. Some of their dialogue would change as the game progressed etc. Due to their omission in 0 the city seems less JRPG-y than it did in previous entries.

Phew I feel like I'm getting burned out by the huge "mini"games of chapters
6 and 7
. I finished the
real estate
storyline and now I honestly don't feel like spending as much time with
the cabaret
. Wonder if I should just rush through the story missions and finish everything left in the adventure mode when I feel like it.

Phew I feel like I'm getting burned out by the huge "mini"games of chapters
6 and 7
. I finished the
real estate
storyline and now I honestly don't feel like spending as much time with
the cabaret
. Wonder if I should just rush through the story missions and finish everything left in the adventure mode when I feel like it.

No, you already made your choice.

Top Bottom