• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Thank you for the write-up, Shadow.

I've only beaten him from Y3 and onward, so didn't know about his conditions in other titles. Man, that Yakuza 2 list is crazy! Hopefully, they'll change it for Kiwami 2 (pls Sega).

By the way, speaking of Amon, I still haven't fought him in this one. I really have to come back to Yakuza 0 (and Nier) after finishing Persona 5. So many great games.

Yeah, I got lucky on 2 as I only checked the requirements after finishing a couple of chapters. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the heat move list requirement! I wouldn't mind seeing a less strict set of requirements for the remake if it happens, just remove the heat list and maybe the moves list requirements and have it so you have to do all the side stories and arena fights (I loved the arena in 2).

And yeah, I want to start my English copy of 0 but I'm still working through my backlog. Almost done now though I do have Persona coming next week (first Persona game as well :) plus I'd love to get Neir, Kingdom Hearts 1&2 and Horizon).

Endo Punk

So hard to continue with the main story when the game has awesome distractions in every corner. Month later and I'm only on chapter 10.

So hard to continue with the main story when the game has awesome distractions in every corner. Month later and I'm only on chapter 10.

Sounds about right. It usually takes me a good 2 months or close to that to finish any Yakuza game, just so many distractions that pull me in every direction!

Rymuth

I don't know what it is about chapter 10 but I, and others, have hit the breaks hard on the main story and decided to faff. I think at that point in the narrative, it's perfectly fine to go and do stuff rather than feel the itch to see what happens next.

miFZgjH.gif

Just finished Yakuza 0. Put it off just abit to finish off Zelda first, hot dang what a fucking finale. Chills all throughout, got choked up. Not surprising though that Yakuza's best strength has always been the voice acting, characters, story and writing. Even though you'd think since this is a prequel, there wouldn't be much tension but make no mistake, it has tons of tension and build up thanks to how the series gives time to let almost every character within it shine, both new and old or the ones who are on the side. TOP 5 OF 2017 EASILY.

Not a big fan of the gameplay compared to the other games but I do love the details put into the world as always be it from shops to minigames and the like. Yakuza's world always feel very well realized thanks to that attention to detail. I kind of feel empty now that I've finished it because I've been attached to these characters for a long while and I always look forward to whatever they do next. I wasn't expecting much from it being a prequel but it contained as much surprises, twists and revelations than in any other game, it pretty much set the stage for the rest of the series. It's definitely the perfect time to be a Yakuza fan if you aren't one and if you are, it's great to get a glimpse of the past. Never has been a patch of land been so god damn interesting, so many good moments ranging from big set pieces to small character interactions.

Now putting all that aside, it has one of the most entertaining side missions in an open world game. They mostly devolve into fetch quests of sorts but what makes them special is once again the characters. The world is just jam packed with wonderful colorful characters, each with their unique charms, quirks and story. Man, I could go on and on about how brilliant Yakuza 0 is but I guess I'll close it off with...THAT SOUNDTRACK MAN.

閻魔の誓い
For Buddy
Rush! Rush! Rush!!
With Vengeance
Try To Have Some Fun For Me
Tiger Flute
Force Addiction
We're Long Hua Expedition
Fever Time
One Eyed Dancer
Glorious Memories
Kuze
Breeze Time
Two Dragons
Rocket Nuts Groove
Money Makes Money
唖然呆然
The story so far
ON THE EDGE
As You Like
Customer Creed
Trouble Shooting Star
La Di Da
Pandora's Place

Yeah, I got lucky on 2 as I only checked the requirements after finishing a couple of chapters. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the heat move list requirement! I wouldn't mind seeing a less strict set of requirements for the remake if it happens, just remove the heat list and maybe the moves list requirements and have it so you have to do all the side stories and arena fights (I loved the arena in 2).

And yeah, I want to start my English copy of 0 but I'm still working through my backlog. Almost done now though I do have Persona coming next week (first Persona game as well :) plus I'd love to get Neir, Kingdom Hearts 1&2 and Horizon).
I'm lazy so I just hope they make it like now, so you just have to finish all side-stories, hahaha.

Oh man, you are in for a treat with Persona. Two things that I wanna stress on.

1) Nier is brilliant. So Shadow, no matter what other games you have in your backlog or wanna buy, put Nier Automata at the top of your list. Trust me, it's absolutely worth it.

2) I feel like I don't really need to say this to a fellow Yakuza fan (especially knowing you lol), but take your time with both Persona and Nier. Persona will completely devour you so I don't have much worries there. But Nier has a lot going on for it and without spoiling much, reaching the credits does not mean that you are anywhere near being finished with it.

Hopefully you'll enjoy both of them. I know I did with Nier and will do with Persona :)

Jimrpg

I'm lazy so I just hope they make it like now, so you just have to finish all side-stories, hahaha.

1) Nier is brilliant. So Shadow, no matter what other games you have in your backlog or wanna buy, put Nier Automata at the top of your list. Trust me, it's absolutely worth it.

2) I feel like I don't really need to say this to a fellow Yakuza fan (especially knowing you lol), but take your time with both Persona and Nier. Persona will completely devour you so I don't have much worries there. But Nier has a lot going on for it and without spoiling much, reaching the credits does not mean that you are anywhere near being finished with it.

Hopefully you'll enjoy both of them. I know I did with Nier and will do with Persona :)

Cool that other Yakuza fans enjoy similar games.

I'm currently progressing well with my limited time in Yakuza 0 about 20hrs in Chapter 7.

Then it's onto Zelda and Nioh which I already have purchased. And then I'll pick up Nier, Persona 5 and Horizon. Yakuza Kiwami will be somewhere in between. :)

Btw how far did you get into Yakuza 0, Son of Sparda?

Chairhome

After finishing Zelda,I'm finally back to Y0. I forgot how much I love this game. Only on chapter 8 I think, but the side quests are so good. Just finished Club Mars on Majima's mini game. I also finished the friendship quest for the video parlor... That one actually creeped me out as I finished it late last night before going to bed.
I want to finish this so I can move on to Persona, but at the same time I don't want to rush it cause it's so good.
What a time for great video games.

Sounds like a plan. I played the demo for Nier so I'm already sold on the game. Persona I've only watched a couple of vids but love the style so that was a must buy as well! I just hope I'm done with both in time for Yakuza Kiwami to be released sometime in Summer. Though as you suggest I'll be taking things slow so its unlikely that I'll have Nier, Persona and then Yakuza 0 done before that time (assuming Persona and Yakuza 0 take me 100 odd hours each).

Cool that other Yakuza fans enjoy similar games.

I'm currently progressing well with my limited time in Yakuza 0 about 20hrs in Chapter 7.

Then it's onto Zelda and Nioh which I already have purchased. And then I'll pick up Nier, Persona 5 and Horizon. Yakuza Kiwami will be somewhere in between. :)

Btw how far did you get into Yakuza 0, Son of Sparda?
Yeah, and not only that but it's cool that we have a lot of games to enjoy. Like, I enjoy western games as much as the next guy, but my tastes align more with Japanese stuff. So it's really cool that we have all these amazing Japanese games right now that we can play.

Thankfully my job as a translator gives me a lot of flexibility when it comes to having free time, so I put a lot of time into Yakuza 0. I did both of the big main side activities and did most of the sub-stories as well. I think I'm at 88% or something close to that in overall completion list, but I kinda got frustrated with Mahjong and then got side tracked with RE7 and Nier Automata and other games. I'll eventually have to come back to this and try to get the platinum.
Sounds like a plan. I played the demo for Nier so I'm already sold on the game. Persona I've only watched a couple of vids but love the style so that was a must buy as well! I just hope I'm done with both in time for Yakuza Kiwami to be released sometime in Summer. Though as you suggest I'll be taking things slow so its unlikely that I'll have Nier, Persona and then Yakuza 0 done before that time (assuming Persona and Yakuza 0 take me 100 odd hours each).

Good, hopefully you'll manage to get them all. And yeah, I don't think you'll be done with all of them before Kiwami comes out, haha. Persona 5 apparently takes 104 hours to beat just for an average playthrough (for comparison, I beat Persona 4 in about 87 hours), assuming howlongtobeat is correct. So yeah, great games with tons of content.

ubiblu

Man, I could go on and on about how brilliant Yakuza 0 is but I guess I'll close it off with...THAT SOUNDTRACK MAN.

Yakuza 0's OST is really underrated, and I'm glad you gave it the love it deserves.

Still upset that the opening track had to change from Bubble. It suits the game's themes and vibe so well. Not as bad as Okami losing Ayaka Hirahara's Reset, but still.

Okay, apart from the last Platinum Hostess' substory and Amon there is only one more substory remaining for Majima and I have no idea where or what it is.

As for Nier Automata, I had my fun playing through it, but the more I think back on it, the more do I think it's not a great game. Combat feels like a genuine Platinum title at first but is very simple and shallow, tedious sidequests, whenever the game decides to switch genres to sidescroller or shoot em up, these sections go on for way too long while presenting no real challenge. In hindsight I would've been just as happy just buying the Soundtrack instead of the game.

I hope Persona 5 fares better.

Kind of off topic, but how is the Yakuza movie by Miike? I see the French Blu-ray has English subs. Thinking about blind buying it

Its supposed to be pretty bad. I had a conversation with someone that had watched it, and it didn't focus on the main characters anywhere near enough. The Majima scene is really good though, so just look that up on Youtube instead!

As for Nier Automata, I had my fun playing through it, but the more I think back on it, the more do I think it's not a great game. Combat feels like a genuine Platinum title at first but is very simple and shallow, tedious sidequests, whenever the game decides to switch genres to sidescroller or shoot em up, these sections go on for way too long while presenting no real challenge. In hindsight I would've been just as happy just buying the Soundtrack instead of the game.

I hope Persona 5 fares better.
Sorry to hear that. I really really enjoyed it and hoped that other Yakuza fans would feel the same way. Especially with stuff like side-quests that do pay off in the end with how good they are storywise and how they all give you different insights into the world. Like there is one side quest that I won't spoil, but it touches on something and shows a little bit of the world that later on during the main story you get more out of the stuff that's going on in the main plot. Mechanically they may be fetch quests or just "go and fight these guys here", but much like Yakuza the narratives behind most of them are pretty good and makes them all worthwhile, imo.

As far as combat goes, I'll just quote myself from another thread. (VERY VERY BIG SPOILERS)
Edit: Here is a combo video from donguri, but beware of HEAVY SPOILERS. Bail out on 2 minutes mark if you don't want to be hit by some big spoilers.
God damn donguri combo videos, I feel like nothing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0203jbYU0TI

But the game has different aspects to it such as genre shifting that may not be for everyone. So if it's not for you, then it's not for you and that's completely understandable.

Yakuza 0's OST is really underrated, and I'm glad you gave it the love it deserves.

Still upset that the opening track had to change from Bubble. It suits the game's themes and vibe so well. Not as bad as Okami losing Ayaka Hirahara's Reset, but still.

I really hate when vocal songs get removed from localizations, but honestly, in the case of the Yakuza franchise I've prefered every instrumental replacement so far and this is no exception. I still don't want to condone this out of principle though.

Sorry to hear that. I really really enjoyed it and hoped that other Yakuza fans would feel the same way. Especially with stuff like side-quests that do pay off in the end with how good they are storywise and how they all give you different insights into the world. Like there is one side quest that I won't spoil, but it touches on something and shows a little bit of the world that later on during the main story you get more out of the stuff that's going on in the main plot. Mechanically they may be fetch quests or just "go and fight these guys here", but much like Yakuza the narratives behind most of them are pretty good and makes them all worthwhile, imo.

As far as combat goes, I'll just quote myself from another thread. (VERY VERY BIG SPOILERS)

But the game has different aspects to it such as genre shifting that may not be for everyone. So if it's not for you, then it's not for you and that's completely understandable.

I can't really say it's a bad game or anything and I did enjoy parts of it, but the sidequests feel like a huge step down after Yakuza 0. Sure, mechanically speaking they're pretty much the same, but usually I felt the conclusion basically added nothing or it was very minimal lore foreshadowing here and there.

I actually really liked the story in Route A, when you were still learning about the world and machines from scratch. Route B soured the experience and C...I dunno, but from the dude who directed Drakengard and Nier, the story didn't really go places in the end, I felt.

I can't really say it's a bad game or anything and I did enjoy parts of it, but the sidequests feel like a huge step down after Yakuza 0. Sure, mechanically speaking they're pretty much the same, but usually I felt the conclusion basically added nothing or it was very minimal lore foreshadowing here and there.

I actually really liked the story in Route A, when you were still learning about the world and machines from scratch. Route B soured the experience and C...I dunno, but from the dude who directed Drakengard and Nier, the story didn't really go places in the end, I felt.
Did you also get the
E and D
endings? At first I felt it was cool but wasn't really as emotional as I wanted/expected it to be. But the next day after I started to slowly piece everything together, I began to see the story and characters in a different light and after that when I listened to the "wight of the world" again and this time fully understood what it meant, it got me pretty emotional.

Did you also get the
E and D
endings? At first I felt it was cool but wasn't really as emotional as I wanted/expected it to be. But the next day after I started to slowly piece everything together, I began to see the story and characters in a different light and after that when I listened to the "wight of the world" again and this time fully understood what it meant, it got me pretty emotional.

I did. And I posted something like this in the OT as well, but apart from thinking
"This is a pretty neat 4th wall breaking credits sequence."
it didn't do anything for me emotionally.

Just curious, I would google but worried about spoilers. If I don't really do side content (only side stuff I've liked is the business/hostess stuff) how close am I to the end?

I am
at the part where Makoto has regained her sight and sends Shibusawa guys after Majima on the roof

Just curious, I would google but worried about spoilers. If I don't really do side content (only side stuff I've liked is the business/hostess stuff) how close am I to the end?

I am
at the part where Makoto has regained her sight and sends Shibusawa guys after Majima on the roof

Pretty close. Still a few hours left.

WetWaffle

I am

Very close, I'd say like 1-2 hours away from the end depending on how you do.

I am

You're pretty much at the last hours of the game.

I am

Pretty close. Only a few hours left. I wanna say
three or fewer
hours?

EDIT: lol beaten so hard

Thanks everyone, will try to finish tonight.

Have really enjoyed the main story of this game, pretty surprised considering I haven't played the series besides the first 30 minutes of either 4 or 5?

After finishing Zelda,I'm finally back to Y0. I forgot how much I love this game. Only on chapter 8 I think, but the side quests are so good. Just finished Club Mars on Majima's mini game. I also finished the friendship quest for the video parlor... That one actually creeped me out as I finished it late last night before going to bed.
I want to finish this so I can move on to Persona, but at the same time I don't want to rush it cause it's so good.
What a time for great video games.

IMO since you're on Ch. 8, I would almost say you should try to forget about the side content for now and try to power through the main story before Persona arrives. You can always go back and do all the side stuff in Premium Adventure afterwards. Because if you stop now in the story and do 100 hours of Persona, all the narrative tension will be gone and you might not even remember what was happening in the game.

Good, hopefully you'll manage to get them all. And yeah, I don't think you'll be done with all of them before Kiwami comes out, haha. Persona 5 apparently takes 104 hours to beat just for an average playthrough (for comparison, I beat Persona 4 in about 87 hours), assuming howlongtobeat is correct. So yeah, great games with tons of content.

Speaking of Persona, the minor spoiler that popped up in the Persona OT, and the flippant, dismissive responses by some, reinforced for me what an awesome community YakuzaGAF is. I guess I got spoiled by not having to worry much about spoilers.

On another note, last night I finished the medical testing sidestory.
Although it basically amounted to "fight these guys", they did it in a cool way with the handicaps. I only wish the blindness one was true pitch black as they were all really easy fights.

Speaking of Persona, the minor spoiler that popped up in the Persona OT, and the flippant, dismissive responses by some, reinforced for me what an awesome community YakuzaGAF is. I guess I got spoiled by not having to worry much about spoilers.
I think I know what you are talking about. I too was like "oh man, I would've like to know that myself". But I guess these stuff might seem really insignificant to people who are already playing the game, so they might spoil them without really meaning to.

Man, I can't find the last Majima subquest before Amon.

I did a whole lot of experimentation with both Majima's and Kiryu's 4th styles though. They're fun in their own right, but it sucks that you can't just enable and disable it with the d-pad and easily switch between all 4 styles.

Speaking of, doesn't Majima get quick-change clothes?

So.... sony refunded me for fractured but whole. I coupdnt decide between this, mass effect or wait for Persona. I went with this and so far im loving it.

Never played a yakuza game before and this reminds me of a 3d streets of rage with a great story.

Jimrpg

Ok I'm very annoyed, the last two nights, the power in our house went out a total of 3 times and I lost about 2 hours worth of gaming. That's like a whole nights worth of gaming for me. Mostly side activity stuff like the cabaret club and some substories, but man I'm annoyed!!!! It's also not very good for the PS4 for the power to just go out like that... I even went to the telephone to save last night but then I got distracted by the telephone bag guy story and I went ahead and did that, then forgot to save because I saw Mr. Shakedown.

I've often said the save system in Yakuza was perfectly fine, but now I'm not so sure. Honestly games should have both an Autosave and a manual save. That would solve everything.

xezuru

Ok I'm very annoyed, the last two nights, the power in our house went out a total of 3 times and I lost about 2 hours worth of gaming. That's like a whole nights worth of gaming for me. Mostly side activity stuff like the cabaret club and some substories, but man I'm annoyed!!!! It's also not very good for the PS4 for the power to just go out like that... I even went to the telephone to save last night but then I got distracted by the telephone bag guy story and I went ahead and did that, then forgot to save because I saw Mr. Shakedown.

I've often said the save system in Yakuza was perfectly fine, but now I'm not so sure. Honestly games should have both an Autosave and a manual save. That would solve everything.

Autosaving used to be a problem that was actually super bad because you used to be able to fail a side quest and have no way to reset it from I remember besides doing a new play through, so you'd just reload anyways but yeah I agree I hope Y6 has at least basic autosaves.

Yeah, it's an archaic remnant from the PS2 era. I honestly feel like this system really doesn't benefit anybody, and is just there because it might take too much effort to revamp the save system.

Fortunately, they've done just that in Y6 and the game autosaves automatically and very frequently.

Jimrpg

Autosaving used to be a problem that was actually super bad because you used to be able to fail a side quest and have no way to reset it from I remember besides doing a new play through, so you'd just reload anyways but yeah I agree I hope Y6 has at least basic autosaves.

Yes but if you have an autosave file AND manual save file slots, then you can still save at specific spots which you could return to if you wanted to.

Yeah, it's an archaic remnant from the PS2 era. I honestly feel like this system really doesn't benefit anybody, and is just there because it might take too much effort to revamp the save system.

Fortunately, they've done just that in Y6 and the game autosaves automatically and very frequently.

Oh there's autosaving in Y6? what about manual saves with a telephone?

Autosaves can be really useful honestly. I was playing yesterday and was interrupted out of the blue, my kids and my wife were all standing at the bedroom door waiting for me to go downstairs but I couldn't exit the cabaret club management and I hadn't saved in an hour. Of course I could have left the PS4 on, but I don't really like doing that.

xezuru

Yes but if you have an autosave file AND manual save file slots, then you can still save at specific spots which you could return to if you wanted to.

Oh I totally get it, but I have a lot of less major gamer friends who once they realize there's autosaves that's all they use.

Jimrpg

Oh I totally get it, but I have a lot of less major gamer friends who once they realize there's autosaves that's all they use.

For sure I get that!

Though I'm always trying to be extra careful and have multiple save files in case of bugs and when the game reaches a point of no return.

Oh there's autosaving in Y6? what about manual saves with a telephone?

Autosaves can be really useful honestly. I was playing yesterday and was interrupted out of the blue, my kids and my wife were all standing at the bedroom door waiting for me to go downstairs but I couldn't exit the cabaret club management and I hadn't saved in an hour. Of course I could have left the PS4 on, but I don't really like doing that.
I believe you can save from the pause menu anywhere in the open world, can't remember exactly.

The autosaving is REALLY convenient.

That's perfect!

Hope they have multiple save slots too.

You can create several manual saves in Yakuza 6, very convenient as it auto saves a bit too often sometimes - so its usually worth saving before you tackle the big Mahjong tournament (just in case you lose) so that you can reload your save and try again!

Jimrpg

For everyone who's becoming interested in the series, check out this ongoing documentary series about the development of the original Yakuza and the series in general. It's really fun and makes me respect Nagoshi-san much more for all the risks he took with this series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284707

NOTE: DOES HAVE SOME SPOILERS FOR YAKUZA 1/KIWAMI.

oooh nice thanks for that. I was up to part 5. Glad they've updated since. :)

You can create several manual saves in Yakuza 6, very convenient as it auto saves a bit too often sometimes - so its usually worth saving before you tackle the big Mahjong tournament (just in case you lose) so that you can reload your save and try again!

Thanks Shadowman!

Top Bottom