• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

After beating this game last night and being my first Yakuza game. I'm ALL in on this franchise.
ONE OF US.

ONE OF US.
GCCDyheI.gif

I bought Zero a couple days ago (because of the praise from Huber and Ben of Easy Allies), and it's my introduction to the series. Like, all I knew about it prior was that it started on the PS2, and there's stuff dealing with real estate. I eventually heard that there was a second protagonist shortly after starting the game. After growing to really like Kiryu in the first two chapters, I started wondering "How's this new guy gonna be better?". Then I got introduced to Majima, and just from that cutscene, I think he may be one of my favorite characters of all time. If the rest of the series is this awesome, I can understand why fans are so dedicated.

I wouldn't worry too much about sub-stories. None of them are missable so you can find and finish them whenever you want. (even after beating the main story)

If you wanna know, with Majima you can get that sub-story finder from (sub-story spoiler)
finishing the friendship quest with the restaurant that is behind his apartment.
Yeah, I knew that I can do the side stories after I beat the story, I just didn't know that there will be a tool to find them. Just can't resist running around looking for them though, they are so damn charming lol.
I bought Zero a couple days ago (because of the praise from Huber and Ben of Easy Allies), and it's my introduction to the series. Like, all I knew about it prior was that it started on the PS2, and there's stuff dealing with real estate. I eventually heard that there was a second protagonist shortly after starting the game. After growing to really like Kiryu in the first two chapters, I started wondering "How's this new guy gonna be better?". Then I got introduced to Majima, and just from that cutscene, I think he may be one of my favorite characters of all time. If the rest of the series is this awesome, I can understand why fans are so dedicated.
This is my exact feeling when I got to the first chapter of Majima then fast forward to now, hell, I may even like Majima more than Kiryu.

Airbar

Neo Member
Anyone has a EU save game to share? I replaced my ps4 with a new one and ps+ autoupload didn't work.

I reached the chapter with Majima and the naked dancing guy, if someone has a save near that chapter I would appreciate it.
I happen to be almost done with Ch. 2 (the one with Kiryu and Tachibana Real Estate) and am close to the first switch over to Majima, that would be Ch. 3. If that helps you in any way I can send you my save later today.

Matush

Anyone has a EU save game to share? I replaced my ps4 with a new one and ps+ autoupload didn't work.

I reached the chapter with Majima and the naked dancing guy, if someone has a save near that chapter I would appreciate it.
Can you even share your saves with anyone? I thought they are linked to your profile.

The intro to chapter 3 reminds me how much I love this game. Its even better the second time round, its probably the classiest intro to a chapter I've ever seen. I also love how they have a little fun with the tutorial (especially with the heat counters).

Also put in a best performance on Space Harrier. Reached stage 14 before my run came to a screeching halt (crashed into a pillar!).

SliChillax

Sorry if it has been asked often. I really want to get in the Yakuza franchise but I'm only interested in the PS4 games. Are all of them in Japanese?

Shin-Ra

Voices and in-world textured signage are Japanese but menus, subtitles and everything you need to play are English translated.

I don't know if you can play with full Japanese text by changing PS4 system language, if that's what you're asking.

Voices and in-world textured signage are Japanese but menus, subtitles and everything you need to play are English translated.

I don't know if you can play with full Japanese text by changing PS4 system language, if that's what you're asking.

Also worth mentioning that Japanese and Asian releases of the games are not subtitled in English. Seems like a very straight forward point but I see this asked quite a bit.

SliChillax

English subtitles are fine. So I should start with 0, then Kiwami when it's released on August. hopefully they remake Yakuza 2 - 5.

danthefan

The disco battle against the Media King can go and get fucked. What an awful mini-game. Just going to give up and hope I can make the 10% back via upgrades etc.

Kalor

I've been trying to finish the substories after finishing the game the other day and the final pocket racer race is rough. Some of the other races relied on luck but this is way worse than those.

danthefan

You can make it back easily.

Ah I'm sure I will, it's just so slow to upgrade your properties in the Media King area. Even using Miracle.

I've been trying to finish the substories after finishing the game the other day and the final pocket racer race is rough. Some of the other races relied on luck but this is way worse than those.

Hmmm not sure I agree the races rely on luck I must say. There's always a part you can change in or out to change the way your car performs.

Only pocket race I remember being a problem (going by my Japanese playthrough) was the very last one. The rest had a clear vehicle parts combo to win the races easily. I've not touched that side of things yet on my English playthrough though...

Just finished chapter 4, gotta say even though I know all the twists and turns I'm still really loving both sides of the story so far. Both are full of interesting characters and great story beats, plus the side stuff proves as addictive as ever :)

The God

Question about the cabaret club

I can only prepare 1 girl for training/makeovers before opening? And what do the "X, O, /" on a girl's stats mean? Is triangle the highest?

Airbar

Neo Member

I can only prepare 1 girl for training/makeovers before opening? And what do the "X, O, /" on a girl's stats mean? Is triangle the highest?

I think it goes double O, O, tri, X.
And you always can only prepare one girl per session.

danthefan

Double O is the highest, then O then triangle then X I'm fairly sure.

Yeah you can do one training per opening.

what the shit is this camera srsly!

On chapter 4 and its just bonkers how bad it is. Wish it had Niohs idea of making objects somewhat transparent when the camera go throughs them rather than going ahead of them and zooming in n out n in n out.

besides that, im enjoying it

what the shit is this camera srsly!

On chapter 4 and its just bonkers how bad it is. Wish it had Niohs idea of making objects somewhat transparent when the camera go throughs them rather than going ahead of them and zooming in n out n in n out.

besides that, im enjoying it

If your in battles and having issues - make sure your holding down R1 to lock onto enemies, that usually gets the camera to behave. If your just walking around town, not sure what to suggest. I've not had too many problems with the camera, but I've had a decade to adapt to the quirks of the control scheme so I've probably just gotten used to its issues by now!

Apart from Yakuza 1 (the original PS2 version). Now that game had a terrible camera that was all over the place. And lock on was unreliable at the best of times. Made certain fights completely hateful to do (Komaki especially can get fucked in that game!), that's why Kiwami is so good, it fixes the two main problems I had with the game.

Soar

This is actually the first game I played after getting my PS4Pro a few months ago, and my wife sat through each play session like a serial drama. In fact she kept urging me to play, and we were not disappointed at all. A real tear jerker too, the part where
Makoto said "Tadaima" whilst hugging her brother's body hit me in the feels like a truck.

We had fun discussions about the characters where she showed me the real life actors some of the bosses were based off of. Highly excited for the upcoming Kiwami.

jonno394

Just started this and already i'm worried about missing side stories! How did you guys manage to do them without a guide or without spending hours just walking round hoping to stumble upon them?

Just started this and already i'm worried about missing side stories! How did you guys manage to do them without a guide or without spending hours just walking round hoping to stumble upon them?
You can't miss substories. What I mean by that is that before the end of the game as well as AFTER finishing the main story, you can complete all the substories. You don't get locked out of them so they're always available as long as you're not doing a main story mission.

For now just keep wandering on your own and do them as you run into them.

For both characters, you can eventually get an item that reveals the starting points of substories on the map. But you don't get those items until you've sunk quite a few hours into the game. At least that's the case for Kiryu, Majima is a bit more easy.

You should get the sub-story finder item to help you find and finish the rest. I think it's called "Trouble Finder" or something like that.

With Majima -
Do the friendship quest with the restaurant that is behind his apartment.
And for Kiryu -
Do the Tax Lady sub-story. You should be able to find that quest just across the real estate office

jonno394

You can't miss substories. What I mean by that is that before the end of the game as well as AFTER finishing the main story, you can complete all the substories. You don't get locked out of them so they're always available as long as you're not doing a main story mission.

For now just keep wandering on your own and do them as you run into them.

For both characters, you can eventually get an item that reveals the starting points of substories on the map. But you don't get those items until you've sunk quite a few hours into the game. At least that's the case for Kiryu, Majima is a bit more easy.

Cheers for the info. :)

Awano is in my top 5 characters this year holy shit. His face animations and voice are godlike

GOTY potential

The game awards should have catagories for mid budget and under games

Really enjoying the game. Can't believe how cheap the download was on PS Store... worth every penny.

Really hyped for the Kiwami now. Only played Yakuza 3 and 0 and really enjoyed both.

Rymuth

Friendly reminder that we've got a month until Kiwami drops. Any late players, be sure to be done by then and give yourself some breathing room so you dont get burned out.

Awano is in my top 5 characters this year holy shit. His face animations and voice are godlike

GOTY potential

The game awards should have catagories for mid budget and under games
This game had a AAA budget.

It just went towards getting Japanese Adult Video actresses in the game.

Nagoshi da GAWD.

The only real input you have is the hand and character you choose. If you pay attention to the scrolling text at the bottom and always choose the hand they are best at you'll have a good chance at winning.

This game had a AAA budget.

It just went towards getting Japanese Adult Video actresses in the game.

Nagoshi da GAWD.

Truly a man who knows where best to spend his budget.

Skulldead

Got my first leason today, i attack that game like it was Yakuza 4-5 hard mode....

i don't need to buy healing item, they will give some during stage, wrong.

I can just smash attack everything will be fine, wrong.

reach the boss, have like 1-2 hit to survive, I've died..... a thing that never happen since yakuza 3, i was shock haha.

Got my first leason today, i attack that game like it was Yakuza 4-5 hard mode....

i don't need to buy healing item, they will give some during stage, wrong.

I can just smash attack everything will be fine, wrong.

reach the boss, have like 1-2 hit to survive, I've died..... a thing that never happen since yakuza 3, i was shock haha.

Yeah, at least in Ishin and 0 they stopped giving you healing items in levels on hard mode so if your not prepared you could well fuck yourself over. I made exactly the same mistake when playing Ishin (and to a lesser extent when I played 0 for the first time), these days I always stock up on healing items just in case!

I dunno how it happened, but I cracked top 40 on Fantasy Zone on my quest to get the CP points

That is week old and I haven't checked back, but I haven't felt this good about getting on a respectable online rank since Shenmue 1. Once I figured out my groove I was getting 90,000 consistently but when I cracked 100,000 I just kept on going.

I dunno how it happened, but I cracked top 40 on Fantasy Zone on my quest to get the CP points

That is week old and I haven't checked back, but I haven't felt this good about getting on a respectable online rank since Shenmue 1. Once I figured out my groove I was getting 90,000 consistently but when I cracked 100,000 I just kept on going.

Nicely done :) I've been getting progressively better at Space Harrier but I doubt I'm anywhere decent in the rankings :( I'm just hoping to one day manage to actually finish the game, my best so far is the end of stage 14...

Anyway, finally got on with Kiryu's story to the point you unlock the real estate stuff, now I'm working on building up my empire and cash reserves! Got 50% share in the first area already, but ended up getting distracted by the disco and pocket racer mini games.

Pocket Racer is definitely even more fun than I remember it in Japanese. I somehow missed the testing option to test cars on tracks before races before, using this has made things way easier to finish the first lot of races.

Disco dancing is going pretty well, not having any problems getting decent scores, only bit that really caused me some issues was Ogita. Not sure if anyone else beat him this way, but I found things way easier to simply not use the flashy super move you get (L1 when the bar fills up), probably because I was chaining together larger combo's, I was routinely getting higher scores than if I did use the special move. Only took a couple of tries after that to beat Ogita. Glad that's over with!

Chapter 17, really like the game, really dislike the combat. everything just feels off. whether its sidesteps, or the shitty lock on/camera, i just really dislike everything but Goros Slugger style.

And this is supposed to be the best combat in the series? ugh, at least i got kiwami which will be bearable since its like this one

Edit: Beat the game,
what was with the kinda anti climatic ending between makoto and Goro. I get all he cares about is her safety but since tachibanas death it (maybe understandbly) feels like she doesnt care about Majima. anyways thought the ending to that was a bit off, but i do enjoy its bitterseetness.

Edit2: watched Post credits scene

Rymuth

^ thought the combat was fantastic, especially with the ability to switch styles on the fly

Not sure how much you'll enjoy Kiwami since it's built on Y0's engine.

^ thought the combat was fantastic, especially with the ability to switch styles on the fly

Not sure how much you'll enjoy Kiwami since it's built on Y0's engine.

I love the combat as well, especially when you equip the quick change suit to speed up style changing for even better combo's, It is a game that benefits you levelling up loads though, as all the fun moves are fairly costly to get (good thing money is super easy to get in this game!). Plus its still better than how Ishin handled things - learning moves via masters only to have them locked again until you levelled up enough to unlock them... it was a really bad move. If you didn't do all the side stuff on that game (to get enough XP to unlock everything) you'd have a very different experience of the combat compared to someone who did (you'd have a very limited move set)

OniBaka

Man I feel I'll be disappointed in kiwami coming from the amazing zero since everything is superior in zero like hype music.

TehOh

Playing Kiwami and had a question, figured this was the place to ask -

I found the giant traffic cone that Majima is (I think) supposed to be under. The first time I walked up to it, there was some text, but I got distracted and missed what it said. Now, the cone is shaking, but I can't seem to activate it, and I haven't seen Majima for a bit. What do I need to do here?

Top Bottom