• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

RPGCrazied

Hostesses are absent for one "day". So just choose your worst hostesses and open as normal (do not do the rival challenge immediately) and then when you go to open the club again (or attempt the rival battle) all your good hostesses will be rested.

Keep in mind the rival club challenges do not expire. They merely open up that option when you hit a certain fan limit in each club area. I always level my hostesses up further and build up a larger fan base in the area before attempting any challenges as the more fans you have the better (i.e. more rich) customers you will have. This makes you more money and makes battles easier.

Sweet. Just beat Jupiter and got a billion yen. Great! Lots of skills learned.

Jimrpg

How freaking good can this game be? I'm new to this series, took me long enough but Holy shit.
I'm in chapter 4, 10 hours in. I'm just so into everything in the world.
Pocket Racer buying parts, minigames, substories, everything is so god damn good.
Majima intro is the most enjoyable and impressive scene I've seen for awhile.

Now I'm really sad that I won't have the chance to play 3,4,5.
At least I can get into Kiwami 2 later this year if English version is not coming soon.

Its so much fun.

danthefan

Into ch17. Have stopped doing any side stuff because the story is really driving on now. Approaching 60 hours played. Will take a bit of a break to play some other stuff and then it's on to Kiwami.

Some Nobody

Question: can you beat all the five billionaires if you can't win at their games? I can probably figure out the
telephone game
and I already did the
karaoke challenge
, but I saw there was a
dance battle
and ahahahahaha. Not even on easy can I get that shit right.

So if you lost but kept buying property could you eventually take them out?

jdstorm

Banned
Question: can you beat all the five billionaires if you can't win at their games? I can probably figure out the
telephone game
and I already did the
karaoke challenge
, but I saw there was a
dance battle
and ahahahahaha. Not even on easy can I get that shit right.

So if you lost but kept buying property could you eventually take them out?

You can. It just makes the grind worse. If you beat the boss you get +10% area completion. If you lose you get -10%.

Some Nobody

You can. It just makes the grind worse. If you beat the boss you get +10% area completion. If you lose you get -10%.

Oh that's fine. I gave the
disco game
like 3 shots before I realized that wasn't for me, so I'd rather just go toss some cash around and buy all the properties and punch that King in the face and be done with it, lol.

Oh that's fine. I gave the
disco game
like 3 shots before I realized that wasn't for me, so I'd rather just go toss some cash around and buy all the properties and punch that King in the face and be done with it, lol.

Just make sure you bring plenty of healing items to that fight. Oh, and if you can, unlock the ability to throw enemies when they grapple you. As the 5th billionaire will grab you constantly. Its a pretty tough boss fight, especially as you have to fight a couple more enemies directly after you beat him.

I somehow managed to beat all 5 billionaires at their own game by some sort of incredible luck! I remember completing Outrun when facing Electronics King (wish I could have recorded that), fooled around when cat fighting and just randomly managed to win that match, and beat the disco dancing by a whole 50 points! Still can't believe I managed that last one...

Belgurth

Neo Member
Hey guys, how do I get the 9mm handgun for the mystery caller quest? I've done a bunch of runs at Dragon & Tiger, but haven't had any luck yet... If it's just chance based I think I'll just pass.

Hey guys, how do I get the 9mm handgun for the mystery caller quest? I've done a bunch of runs at Dragon & Tiger, but haven't had any luck yet... If it's just chance based I think I'll just pass.

Make sure your actually sending agents at the Dragon & Tiger to an area that gives you a chance of getting the handgun. It'll show you on the menu which items you stand a chance of getting. It is luck based, but the more money you give an agent the more likely you are of getting the weapon. I did tons of D&T anyway so I ended up with tons of them super early. Otherwise I think Kiryu ends up with a gun as part of a side story early on, so you could always just send that to Majima via Mr Money Bag's shared item box (once you meet Mr Moneybags that is).

My heart 😢😢😢

Its the ending... there is one scene that just washes away many of the issues I had with certain aspects of the finale. Its right up there as one of the best scenes in any videogame I've played. I can't wait to talk about it more next year when everyone plays it!

danthefan

Just coming towards the end of the game, think I'm in the last chapter. Enemies with
guns
are complete bullshit, they are no fun at all to fight, what the fuck were they thinking.

Just coming towards the end of the game, think I'm in the last chapter. Enemies with
guns
are complete bullshit, they are no fun at all to fight, what the fuck were they thinking.

Kiryu can use his rush style to make them trivial. Beast mode has a block move that basically lets you block bullets with little consequence and if there is a large (two handed) weapon nearby you can grab that and press L1 and Square (I think, or was it Triangle?) to do a charging tackle using the weapon as a barrier.

As for Majima? No clue, blocking using his bat should work, and he has a heat move that disarms gun enemies. Sure they can be tough, but the game does give you methods of dealing with them. Its just not immediately clear!

RPGCrazied

And done. 45 hours. Didn't do everything. Can you use costumes in New game plus, or just premium adventure? That would be a bummer if you can't use them through the story.

Its time for Kiwami finally!

And done. 45 hours. Didn't do everything. Can you use costumes in New game plus, or just premium adventure? That would be a bummer if you can't use them through the story.

Its time for Kiwami finally!

Alternate outfits can't be used in your initial run, I've only used them in Premium Adventure mode. All the games in the series have this restriction I'm afraid.

danthefan

All done. Just under 60 hours. Don't even think I got 50% completion but was never going to do some of those mini games.

For about the last 5 chapters I just mainlined it because there was a real urgency in the story and it didn't feel right to deal with serious shit and then go disco dancing.

Loved it overall. I'll get Kiwami after I beat a few other games.

All done. Just under 60 hours. Don't even think I got 50% completion but was never going to do some of those mini games.

For about the last 5 chapters I just mainlined it because there was a real urgency in the story and it didn't feel right to deal with serious shit and then go disco dancing.

Loved it overall. I'll get Kiwami after I beat a few other games.

I know what you mean, however I just couldn't resist finishing up the Disco Dancing and Bowling mini games!

I'm up to 87% completion now. Managed to nail one particular heat move with Kiryu that I'd been having issues pulling off. Just need to do one more with Majima (gun counter) to have the full set. You don't need to do this for the full 100%, I just find it very fun!

Even though I've played this through before, its been so good seeing
Shimano again. He's still a complete evil prick with really huge eyebrows... love his character though. Also really loved the Kashiwagi boss fight. Still couldn't clear his QTE prompt though, that's just as insanely quick as I remember

Ok. 104 hours played, game complete with 90% completion rate. Now onto Premium Adventure mode to wrap up the stuff I'm short trophy wise.

Still pretty much one of the best games in the series, hurt oh so slightly by difficulty that's a little on the easy side. Some of those bosses in the middle like
Nishtani and Sera
really could have been better if they were harder.

That said the final bosses were pure epic moments. With all my styles leveled up highly it made for some amazing moments. Being able to parry, counter and do heat moves off of pretty much anything is never not going to be amazing fun. The music and cutscenes/QTE's helped build those epic moments, with me on the edge of my seat the entire time (despite knowing exactly what happens from my Japanese playthrough). The final boss was especially really fun as I successfully managed to cycle through all four styles with Kiryu pulling off an array of heat moves and counters with each style. It felt so damn good. I still believe few games manage to build finale's as good as Yakuza does, can't think of a single one that was bad, even 6 which I have some major issues with in its finale still managed to feel damn good in its finale. Proves that you don't need a planet ending monster or anything for a great final boss, just a shirtless fist fight against two really pissed off guys!

After I've got the 100% I'll take a break and work on a few other games before diving into Kiwami. I'd probably wouldn't have been starting that so soon but with Kiwami 2 coming at the end of the year in Japan I just have to replay it as well for continuities sake!

Officially calling it on 0, 96 hours in.

I was hoping to wrap up all of the substories & real estate/sunshine club but I'm totally drained on that final
Club Moon
battle. Way too much RNG in all areas of the game for my tastes and I have to stop now before I sour on the whole thing.

Bring on Kiwami!

PaulLFC

I think I missed a trophy :/ In one of Majima's early chapters where you have to visit the Odyssey, there's apparently a trophy for
looking at four tables after speaking to 3 people about Odyssey

Evidently I didn't see all the tables (couldn't really do anything about that as an auto cut scene played), as I didn't get the trophy and Majima commented along the lines of "should have looked closer".

Do I need to start again, or will there be an opportunity to get the trophy again later in the game? Don't really want to start over :/

I think I missed a trophy :/ In one of Majima's early chapters where you have to visit the Odyssey, there's apparently a trophy for

Evidently I didn't see all the tables (couldn't really do anything about that as an auto cut scene played), as I didn't get the trophy and Majima commented along the lines of "should have looked closer".

Do I need to start again, or will there be an opportunity to get the trophy again later in the game? Don't really want to start over :/

Nope. Its a one chance trophy, you'd need to do another run on the game to get this trophy. You'll need to do a Legend difficulty run anyway so you could do both together.

My guess is you missed the middle table. As I had issues seeing this one. You've got three tables that are really easy to identify, and one that is somewhat hidden that is in the center of the screen and harder to lock onto.

PaulLFC

Nope. Its a one chance trophy, you'd need to do another run on the game to get this trophy. You'll need to do a Legend difficulty run anyway so you could do both together.

My guess is you missed the middle table. As I had issues seeing this one. You've got three tables that are really easy to identify, and one that is somewhat hidden that is in the center of the screen and harder to lock onto.
Thanks - I wasn't planning on doing a legendary playthrough any time soon, so I guess missing this trophy doesn't matter all that much until then.

Thanks - I wasn't planning on doing a legendary playthrough any time soon, so I guess missing this trophy doesn't matter all that much until then.

I had the same thing with my Japanese run on the game. Every other chapter (or there abouts) has a missable trophy so its worth taking a look at the list to make sure you don't miss anything (there's nothing spoilerish in the trophy list), some are fairly easy to get but some (like destroying the safe's in one chapter) would not be something one would try doing without knowing there is a trophy attached to it!

I'm doing the mahjong CP and I'm stuck at getting the "Go out with Haneman". I got all other but somehow this one is ginving me trouble.
Every time I have a winning hand I'm shot on point... I'm trying to get the Dora and all but man... :'(

That said, I grow to like this damn game. I'm actually looking foreward to do this in Yakuza Kiwami :p

Edit: welp... I got it lol. My advice for this one is to aim for a seven pairs (if your starting hand has some pairs already), because it's worth 2 Han. And of course do the Riichi and try to aim for some Dora.

I missed the three people prior to Odyssey but got all the tables. I hadn't played for a while and wasn't keeping track of little missable trophies.
Kicking myself. I'm really 50/50 with this game at the moment. =/

I missed the three people prior to Odyssey but got all the tables. I hadn't played for a while and wasn't keeping track of little missable trophies.
Kicking myself. I'm really 50/50 with this game at the moment. =/

Well if you plan on getting all trophies you need a second playthrough anyway. Unless that's your second playthrough already, that would suck :/

Bollocks

Can I finish the game without doing any side stuff?
I'm just so hooked on the story I don't want to do anything else but continue the story lol

Can I finish the game without doing any side stuff?
I'm just so hooked on the story I don't want to do anything else but continue the story lol

Yea sure.
Sometimes you'll do some side activities to advance the story but it's really not much.

And you'll be able to do any side activities you want (including substories) after you finish the game in case you want so

Another ton of hours spent today on my quest to 100%. Managed to clear the cat fighting mini game with a huge bet so I've done all the CP requirements for that now. Just need another 9 tourney wins for the trophy.

All hostess stuff is now done, and all the telephone club stuff is done as well so I've unlocked both Amon battles (but sure as hell not tackling those just yet!). Also modded/acquired enough weapons for the CP list, though I still have tons to mod which I probably won't bother with just because you don't have to do it. I mean, I spent who knows how long trying to get some fucking dry branches today... just need two more super rare items and I'm done with the Dragon and Tiger.

Up next is finishing Koi Koi (half way through that), get a few more ko's with Majima's 4th style and catch the last couple of fish I'm short. Then all I have left is Amon and the last arena fighter to beat (that last one isn't important for the 100%, I just want to KO all the characters in the game and not-Seijima is the last guy I have left!)

Well if you plan on getting all trophies you need a second playthrough anyway. Unless that's your second playthrough already, that would suck :/

Am I right in thinking that the second playthrough is for a difficulty trophy? I usually don't bother with those but I like catching the missable ones if I can.

I find I have to force myself to play this at the moment. I do like the game and the story if I'm honest, but I'm getting frustrated with the abundance of text boxes when conversing with characters. It's an issue I have with a lot of games, not just Yakuza, I just don't have the patience for them anymore. I think Okami ruined me.

Ok, question for anyone who's done the fishing side of things on this game - for sea fishing, does anyone know what the 7th fish in the completion list is? Its the only one I'm short and the Japanese guides aren't really helping since English and Japanese names for the fish are so different. That and I can't be bothered to boot up my Japanese game save to find the Japanese title of the fish!

After that its just the Amon's left...

Also, fuck Cat Fighting yet again. I've tried playing that mini game several ways and even with all the little notes for each fighter suggesting which should do better, I still lose 90% of the time. My tactic remains unchanged - pick Jennifer, randomly hammer the X button through attacks until the time is up and then hammer the X button in futility. Then celebrate when I win. Got 3 tourney wins so far, only 7 left for the trophy.

I want to go back to play 0 since I did miss on a lot of sub stories, and I want to try out Majima's Mad Dog style but I'm not sure yet. Do I have to start new game on Legendary to get Dragon of Dojima and Mad Dog style? Any tips on earning a lot of money in 0 because I haven't finished upgrading the styles for Majima and Kiryu on my first play through due to having to spend a lot of money to upgrade.

Saprol

I want to go back to play 0 since I did miss on a lot of sub stories, and I want to try out Majima's Mad Dog style but I'm not sure yet. Do I have to start new game on Legendary to get Dragon of Dojima and Mad Dog style? Any tips on earning a lot of money in 0 because I haven't finished upgrading the styles for Majima and Kiryu on my first play through due to having to spend a lot of money to upgrade.

The 4th styles are unlocked by completing their real estate / cabaret club minigames.

For money, farm Mr. Shakedown with Kiryu's bonus money CP perk. Intentionally lose to him, then earn it back. Could find/transfer Zap Guns or Sturdy weapons from Majima. I use the bowling ball for fun because it's a ranged heat action.

The 4th styles are unlocked by completing their real estate / cabaret club minigames.

For money, farm Mr. Shakedown with Kiryu's bonus money CP perk. Intentionally lose to him, then earn it back. Could find/transfer Zap Guns or Sturdy weapons from Majima. I use the bowling ball for fun because it's a ranged heat action.

Thanks.

xrnzaaas

I've just finished the story mode. It was really good and I ended up enjoying both playable characters equally. The "villains" were great as well, well maybe they should've limited the number of boss fights with
Kuze
but I enjoyed beating the shit out of him. The only thing that really bothered me in the game was how fast the main characters were recovering from injuries, especially in
chapter 14
. I get it they probably didn't have additional resources to make injured character models for the FMV's, but they should've modified the story to cover that better.
On to Premium Adventure, I definitely won't be completing every single minigame and substory, but there's plenty left for me to play. :)

I've just finished the story mode. It was really good and I ended up enjoying both playable characters equally. The "villains" were great as well, well maybe they should've limited the number of boss fights with
Kuze
but I enjoyed beating the shit out of him. The only thing that really bothered me in the game was how fast the main characters were recovering from injuries, especially in
chapter 14
. I get it they probably didn't have additional resources to make injured character models for the FMV's, but they should've modified the story to cover that better.
On to Premium Adventure, I definitely won't be completing every single minigame and substory, but there's plenty left for me to play. :)

Look forward to mahjong :D

Idk if you plan to 100% but if you do I suggest starting with the hardest stuff (mahjong and disco for me). But well, everything is awesome in this game... So, enjoy :)

Mahjong isn't really that bad difficulty wise. Its just learning the rules that is the learning curve on that one. Once you know what your looking for it becomes almost trivial difficulty wise, and really fun to play (at least for me!)

And if your going for all the Telephone girls (which you have to do for side stories) there is actually an easy tell that your speaking to the right girls right as you pick up the phone - the QTE prompts to answer the phone are all different speeds (from incredibly fast to insanely slow). All the "best" girls are the ones with super fast QTE button prompts. I've tested this a few times and its checked out every last time.

Bollocks

Yea sure.
Sometimes you'll do some side activities to advance the story but it's really not much.

And you'll be able to do any side activities you want (including substories) after you finish the game in case you want so

I mean more in terms of unlocks, I don't want to lock myself out later in the game for not having upgraded my character/having sufficient funds to do so.

Mahjong isn't really that bad difficulty wise. Its just learning the rules that is the learning curve on that one. Once you know what your looking for it becomes almost trivial difficulty wise, and really fun to play (at least for me!)

And if your going for all the Telephone girls (which you have to do for side stories) there is actually an easy tell that your speaking to the right girls right as you pick up the phone - the QTE prompts to answer the phone are all different speeds (from incredibly fast to insanely slow). All the "best" girls are the ones with super fast QTE button prompts. I've tested this a few times and its checked out every last time.

Actually I enjoyed it too and I'm looking forward to do it in Kiwami but I think that's one of the main obstacle to the road of the 100% for a lot of people.

I mean more in terms of unlocks, I don't want to lock myself out later in the game for not having upgraded my character/having sufficient funds to do so.

Nah you should be fine. Make sure you have some healing items and maybe some weapon (not really necessary, but it can makes things easier)

xrnzaaas

Look forward to mahjong :D

Idk if you plan to 100% but if you do I suggest starting with the hardest stuff (mahjong and disco for me). But well, everything is awesome in this game... So, enjoy :)

Nah I've got so many games in my backlog (including recently purchased and not yet touched Yakuza Kiwami) that I only plan to 100% finish real estate & cabaret club from the bigger optional activities. And maybe RC model cars races.

I've finished the game on normal and I only struggled a bit in the beginning when I didn't have all the fighting styles and when I was still learning the basics (this is my first Yakuza game). Also the only time when I really needed more healing items was the finale, but that was partially because I wanted to keep using my favorite fighting styles and I was reluctant to switching to more useful ones. Had to do it a few times eventually. ;)

Actually I enjoyed it too and I'm looking forward to do it in Kiwami but I think that's one of the main obstacle to the road of the 100% for a lot of people.

True that. It took me 5 or so years to get the hang of it (I only practiced when playing Yakuza, and finally got it down on Ishin) but now I'd probably put Koi Koi above it difficulty wise, just for the evil AI (I've lost count of good games gone bad by one seemingly fluky hand!)

Anyway, I'm done with Premium Adventure mode now. Everything has been done toward my 100% target. Awesome fun! And I've now beaten both Amon's. I actually didn't find them as bad this time as my Japanese run, managed to beat them both on hard mode with tactics that actually worked. Here's what I did for anyone interested:

*Keep in mind fully upgraded Kiryu and Majima are basically required, and its a good idea to over level them via their 4th fighting style as well just to make them stronger etc. Also buy up several decent weapons/armor which you should already have access to if you've already done the Dragon and Tiger side stuff for the completion list. Also its a good idea getting used to the different counters your fighting styles have on offer - especially for Majima to make some parts of the Amon fights easier.

Jo Amon:
First phase - the first ton of health bars has Jo using the same Komaki style that Kiryu uses for his Dragon style, I found it best to use Majima's thug style and dodge (which builds heat to level 2) and then dodge behind him and then attack. Basically if you manage to time this perfectly you'll be bashing Amon directly in the back and you'll get a good 4-5 hit square > triangle combo on him. Also keep in mind he carries a concealed dagger on him so you can dodge behind him and do that heat move for extra damage AND if your at full heat bars when you do that heat move you can follow up with a nice strong dagger heat move. Also keep in mind that his aggressive punch combos make for an easy target to use your circle Komaki counter (if you have heat level 3).

When his health drops to the blue heath bars he'll pull out a dagger and start using Majima's fourth fighting style. This is hard if your not careful as he can lay you out difficulty wise. So go into your slugger style which lets you block his attacks AND build heat to level 3. Now you can also use his block > triangle x2 counter move if you are in the calm state (i.e. have no heat) to build heat fast and deal some nice damage. Now equip a weapon and do a heat move for maximum damage.
I liked using any dagger heat move (make sure you get the strongest dagger you can before you enter this fight) and then pull it out right near Amon and pull off the concealed dagger heat move (pull out the weapon in front of an enemy and press triangle as soon as the prompt appears). This deals lots of damage. Also keep in mind you can do similar moves with staffs and other weapons. Also keep in mind Kali Sticks and Nunchucks have two levels of heat moves. Mix it up for maximum heat damage. As long as your careful he'll go down after a few tries.

So on the other hand is a bit of a twat. His cannon has a move that basically 1 hit KO's you if your not careful, and he just loves you stagger you first. As he's a prick I decided I couldn't bothered to fight fair, so instead I did the following:
Get the golden gun from the shrine and head into the Amon battle. Now use the golden gun to build up heat almost immediately and then use the dragon style combo's to effectively keep Amon in a stun lock. So use any square > triangle > circle combo (such as square x2 > triangle > circle). This requires at least one heat bar, and as long as the triangle hit connects you'll be able to land the circle grab attack that will knock him to the floor. Now you can do a heat move, use the golden gun to build back up heat or just start pulling of a combo as he's rising (he can't block while he's getting up so you can just combo him all over again, and then he's on the ground). Repeat this not giving him a chance to get up if you can.

Now for phase 2 - he has an attack helicopter drop lawn furniture into the arena (which really fucking hurts as its blown about!) while So uses beast style moves so he's got hyper armor - meaning if you attack him he can just smash you out of your combo. Instead of attacking heat on, use the golden gun while waiting for a bottle/jug to be dropped from the helicopter. Amon will run for this, so get it before him. This makes you invincible for a short period of time. Payback time! Use your dragon combo's like in phase one as its still the easiest way to damage him, while grabbing the invincibility items periodically so that you can continue pummeling Amon into the ground. A short while later and he should also be down for the count!

Its easy to hate on both Amons for being dicks, but really I'd be disappointed if they weren't insanely cheap and overpowered, so this was actually a really fun set of fights for me. Really the only annoying Amon fight I've ever played was Shinada's in 5 due to the complete one sided nature of the fight (Shinada is nowhere near strong enough to take on any of the Amon clan!), but that's what Warning Signs are for!

True that. It took me 5 or so years to get the hang of it (I only practiced when playing Yakuza, and finally got it down on Ishin) but now I'd probably put Koi Koi above it difficulty wise, just for the evil AI (I've lost count of good games gone bad by one seemingly fluky hand!)

Well in Koi Koi the game can throws some tips at you, I feel like it's less difficult to win once you know in what category are the cards. I first played it and didn't understand shit, I was just selecting the card the game told me to pick. I managed to get like 40% of the CP like that.
But now I'm trying to do some good set to win more points. It's more difficult but more enjoyable.

Oh yeah, knowing the cards to go for is the difference between the AI killing you and you standing a chance of winning. I play pretty defensively on Koi Koi most of the time, sniping cards away from the AI to prevent them from getting certain hands as I try and get decent hands myself. And if I can't get a good hand at least I can get a low scoring hand and move the game onto the next round preventing the AI from winning. Its really rather fun most of the time. But then some times the AI just goes crazy! Its fun for sure, but it won't top Mahjong for me :)

Anyway, cleared a decent number of climax challenges this afternoon, nothing outlandishly difficult yet. Then again I still have a couple of the no damage ones left (leaving those until last!).

And that is the Climax Battles dealt with. Some of the easier in the series in my opinion, most were fairly easy bar a couple that demanded a few retries to nail them down (one of Majima's early boss rush challenges was bizarrely hard).

The challenges really do seem like something you should only attempt when you've learned the fighting system and enemies back to front though. The millionaire challenges for example would be pretty tough if you've avoided Mr Shakedown all game, but I found all but one easy (the one in the tiny alley was pretty evil I do admit!). But most challenges have a pattern or way to cheese them, its just a matter of figuring it out!

Loved the final Kiryu challenge as well, I remember back to when I was playing it for the first time, I had to smile since
Nishiki is the last guy you fight, like a little nod toward the fates of both characters in Yakuza 1

Top Bottom