• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Newboi

Jo Amon is easy when you your Dragon of Dojima level is 110 lol.

Yes I was crazy enough to get my level that high.

On a side note, I've recently started playing Kiwami and I love all of the call backs to Yakuza 0. I'm not sure how the dev team accomplished it, but I was feeling hardcore, almost emotional, nostalgia for memories of a game I recently played lol.

Jo Amon is easy when you your Dragon of Dojima level is 110 lol.

Yes I was crazy enough to get my level that high.

On a side note, I've recently started playing Kiwami and I love all of the call backs to Yakuza 0. I'm not sure how the dev team accomplished it, but I was feeling hardcore, almost emotional, nostalgia for memories of a game I recently played lol.

Nice one on your Dragon level! How did you get it that high? I only had it at level 2 in the end, couldn't be assed to grind for money, all I got was achieved as I went from side missions/mini games with an occasional Shakedown boss fight. That level must have cost you a fortune to achieve!

xrnzaaas

Man the catfight club minigame feels so random and I'm not talking only about the rock-paper-scissors thing. Sometimes I struggle to drain the health bar of a very weak fighter, sometimes I mash the buttons like crazy and it's not enough (on other occasion my girl wins even if I mash the button slower). But the best (worst) thing is that I've managed to win a few rounds (and even one single championship) by putting down the controller and doing nothing. Oh hell no, I won't try to win ten championships just to get one stupid trophy. ;)

Also the finale of the cabaret minigame was pretty annoying because of the boss's unique ability. What's interesting is that on my second try he didn't do anything for about 30 seconds and that allowed me to gain a lot of money. I don't know if this was dumb luck or the game lowering the difficulty after the first failed attempt.

Man the catfight club minigame feels so random and I'm not talking only about the rock-paper-scissors thing. Sometimes I struggle to drain the health bar of a very weak fighter, sometimes I mash the buttons like crazy and it's not enough (on other occasion my girl wins even if I mash the button slower). But the best (worst) thing is that I've managed to win a few rounds (and even one single championship) by putting down the controller and doing nothing. Oh hell no, I won't try to win ten championships just to get one stupid trophy. ;).
That mode is straight up bullshit, complete RNG. Even if you think you've won you lose so goddamn stupid.

Fortunately the version of the minigame in Kiwami is MUCH easier and actually kinda fun.

Newboi

Nice one on your Dragon level! How did you get it that high? I only had it at level 2 in the end, couldn't be assed to grind for money, all I got was achieved as I went from side missions/mini games with an occasional Shakedown boss fight. That level must have cost you a fortune to achieve!

You can unlock a CP reward for Kazuma that multiplies the amount of money you get from beating Mr. Shakedown. All you have to do is beat Mr. Shakedown, find him again, then lose to him. Once you lose to him, just find him again and beat him and you get back a multiple increase of the amount of money you originally lost to him. If you do this several times, you will easily max out the amount of money you can make in the game. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour dependent on your skill level and strength when fighting Mr. Shakedown. The devs could have easily made the money requirement to reset the dragon tree exponentially higher each time you complete it, but I'm glad they didn't.

After the above, you'll have more than enough money to probably get above level 200. I specifically wanted to get strong enough to beat Mr., Shakedown in 1 hit. At level 110, it still takes upwards of 3 hits lol. I'm currently playing through Kiwami, but I'll go back to Yakuza 0 to achieve my original goal. The hard/annoying part of the whole process is filling up the DoD tree over and over again. You start to realize/notice all of the inefficiencies of the menu UI during this process. Waiting to see a money animation fill up a meter for each bubble gets ridiculously tedious after the 10th time doing it (let alone the 100th!).

Edit: The one thing I wish they somehow handled in Yakuza Kiwami was Kazuma's real estate business. They briefly mention it in passing, but the game doesn't mention or rationalize how Kazama doesn't secretly run/own all of Kamurocho lol. Kazuma becomes richer and more powerful than the entire Tojo clan. I guess the explanation is that he keeps it a secret and maybe loses most of his assets due to early obvious story reasons in Kiwami?

danmaku

Edit: The one thing I wish they somehow handled in Yakuza Kiwami was Kazuma's real estate business. They briefly mention it in passing, but the game doesn't mention or rationalize how Kazama doesn't secretly run/own all of Kamurocho lol. Kazuma becomes richer and more powerful than the entire Tojo clan. I guess the explanation is that he keeps it a secret and maybe loses most of his assets due to early obvious story reasons in Kiwami?

More likely, that part isn't canon, since you don't need to play the real estate minigame to finish the game. Otherwise, Kiryu would be a billionaire at the end of 0 and he would have no reason to go back to the yakuza.

Newboi

More likely, that part isn't canon, since you don't need to play the real estate minigame to finish the game. Otherwise, Kiryu would be a billionaire at the end of 0 and he would have no reason to go back to the yakuza.

Well technically, He goes back to the Yakuza due to his personal code of honor. He dismantled the plans of the clan he personally pledged his life to (even though they screwed him over in the first place).

Anyway, I know it probably isn't cannon, but I still think it would have been fun to actually have that affect the story line lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Tried getting back into this (I stopped back in February at Chapter 5) since a friend of mine gave me a copy of Kiwami (Amazon accidentally sent him two) and I figured I should finish 0 before starting Kiwami. But...I just don't think I like 0 all that much. And don't get me wrong, I'm a Yakuza fan. This isn't my first game in the series or anything. But the way I play these games, I like to do as much of the side stuff as possible. Substories, etc. I tend to get hung up on that stuff. But this time around, I'm just not enjoying it. The real estate minigame seems needlessly complex and I don't enjoy it. And the telephone club stuff is tedious and not fun either, and since substories are attached to that I feel like I have to do it. And just the fact that the substories aren't marked on the map anymore is awful (I know about the item you get that does that, but that's not until Chapter 13).

I hate that I'm not enjoying this one, I really do. And I'm sure I could just ignore all the side stuff and just do the story, but that's not how I play these games. It would feel...wrong, I dunno. I was really hoping that I was just burned out when I stopped back at the beginning of the year and I'd enjoy it now, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Maybe I'll just put it on hold and start Kiwami anyway. Eh.

Rymuth

It's the same with Kiryu drinking medicine to shrug off bullet wounds - it's part of the game but the story won't acknowledge it (though the Yakuza movie making it canon just made that movie into GOAT material)

Tried getting back into this (I stopped back in February at Chapter 5) since a friend of mine gave me a copy of Kiwami (Amazon accidentally sent him two) and I figured I should finish 0 before starting Kiwami. But...I just don't think I like 0 all that much. And don't get me wrong, I'm a Yakuza fan. This isn't my first game in the series or anything. But the way I play these games, I like to do as much of the side stuff as possible. Substories, etc. I tend to get hung up on that stuff. But this time around, I'm just not enjoying it. The real estate minigame seems needlessly complex and I don't enjoy it. And the telephone club stuff is tedious and not fun either, and since substories are attached to that I feel like I have to do it. And just the fact that the substories aren't marked on the map anymore is awful (I know about the item you get that does that, but that's not until Chapter 13).

I hate that I'm not enjoying this one, I really do. And I'm sure I could just ignore all the side stuff and just do the story, but that's not how I play these games. It would feel...wrong, I dunno. I was really hoping that I was just burned out when I stopped back at the beginning of the year and I'd enjoy it now, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Maybe I'll just put it on hold and start Kiwami anyway. Eh.

Maybe you should take a step back.
The real estate stuff is pretty straightforward actually. You buy properties, you upgrade them, you collect money. That's it. You could do some managing of your staff to switch manager/security when they're tired but I don't think it's worth it. There are more easy way to make money.

Anyway, I used to take advantage of the slow pacing in Yakuza's stories to do some side activities. But with Yakuza 0 I found it hard to let the main story on hold. It didn't felt right to do some Outrun while everything around you is burning :p

Theonik

It's probably this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_asset_price_bubble

Yakuza 0 is set at the peak of the bubble whereas Kiwami begins shortly after the collapse.

danmaku

It's the same with Kiryu drinking medicine to shrug off bullet wounds - it's part of the game but the story won't acknowledge it (though the Yakuza movie making it canon just made that movie into GOAT material)

I really need to watch the Yakuza movie. Is it spoilerish for Yakuza 1? Judging from IMDB, the story is similar but not the same (there's a couple of undercover cops that are not in the game).

Rymuth

I really need to watch the Yakuza movie. Is it spoilerish for Yakuza 1? Judging from IMDB, the story is similar but not the same (there's a couple of undercover cops that are not in the game).

It has a few same beats but skips a lot of finer details. The undercover cops part is worth the admission alone (it needs to be seen to be believed)

It really is it's own beast, so go ahead---if you know who the main villain of Yakuza 1 is, then there's not much else to spoil.

danmaku

It has a few same beats but skips a lot of finer details. The undercover cops part is worth the admission alone (it needs to be seen to be believed)

It really is it's own beast, so go ahead---if you know who the main villain of Yakuza 1 is, then there's not much else to spoil.

Sounds great! :) I'll get it for the weekend. Thanks!

Woo, got the trophy for Cat Fighting. I take back what I said about it being completely random though. In utter boredom I actually bothered paying attention to what the AI was doing (in retrospect I should have done this ages ago) and the AI actually does have a pattern to it, what makes it hard is that each character acts differently. Like one girl pick rock 2/3 of the time, or one always counter picking whatever she lost to last time etc. it actually makes it possible to successfully pick the winning choice. As such I managed to win quite a few matches today in quick succession. The game is still bloody annoying at times, but its not as bad as I first thought it was. Now when I can be bothered I can just do a Legend run for the plat. Won't be this year though, not with Kiwami 1 and 2 to play.

Ruruja

So I finally just got a full straight in Mahjong and I have 2 options, Riichi or Tsumo.

I guess I select Tsumo because Riichi will get rid of one of my tiles right?

Just don't want to choose the wrong option.

EDIT: Tsumo was fine.

Gintamen

Woo, got the trophy for Cat Fighting. I take back what I said about it being completely random though. In utter boredom I actually bothered paying attention to what the AI was doing (in retrospect I should have done this ages ago) and the AI actually does have a pattern to it, what makes it hard is that each character acts differently. Like one girl pick rock 2/3 of the time, or one always counter picking whatever she lost to last time etc. it actually makes it possible to successfully pick the winning choice. As such I managed to win quite a few matches today in quick succession. The game is still bloody annoying at times, but its not as bad as I first thought it was. Now when I can be bothered I can just do a Legend run for the plat. Won't be this year though, not with Kiwami 1 and 2 to play.
Took exactly two tries/wins. Just choose whatever wins against their strongest attack or the same and spam X.

No luck with the homeless games tho.

Took exactly two tries/wins. Just choose whatever wins against their strongest attack or the same and spam X.

No luck with the homeless games tho.

Not always, some opponents would cycle through which attack they'd use, some would counter pick my counter pick choice... and sometimes your screwed either way if the AI can just resurrect and 1 hit KO you anyway!

Homeless games aren't that bad though. The dice games are pretty easy. Koi Koi is the only one that will make your head spin to begin with, as you need to learn which cards make up which hands and know which cards you need to get to prevent the AI from getting winning hands. Definitely the largest learning curve of any mini game in the series, bar Shogi and Mahjong in my opinion.

Where can I get it for both Kiryu and Majima? I'm playing in premium adventure. I thought I have an indicator for Majima, but it was just finding people who starts fight.
The item you have is called Encounter finder. The item that marks substories is called Trouble Finder.

For Kiryu, you need to
complete "The Tax Lady" substory in chapter 5. It's a real-estate related thing, just keep doing the real estate stuff and this quest will pop up on it's own when you're near the entrance/inside the office.

For Majima, you need to
complete friendship with the Chef of the restaurant Komian.

The item you have is called Encounter finder. The item that marks substories is called Trouble Finder.

For Kiryu, you need to
complete "The Tax Lady" substory in chapter 5. It's a real-estate related thing, just keep doing the real estate stuff and this quest will pop up on it's own when you're near the entrance/inside the office.

For Majima, you need to
complete friendship with the Chef of the restaurant Komian.

Thanks.

CALLING ALL ARTISTS!

https://twitter.com/yakuzagame/status/908375615811731456
UZSbJe9.jpg

I actually PMed ZombiePlatypus to send in his/her Nugget artwork (which is featured in the OP)

I think (s)he has a legit chance of making it in, the artwork is fantastic.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is there anywhere you can buy Diamond/Ruby/Platinum plates? Want to try to get around the money transfer limit between Kiryu and Majima since I'm absolutely loaded with Kiryu in Chapter 6 (well over a billion yen).

EDIT: Can you still do the thing where you buy the sticks or whatever from the Mahjong place then just turn around and exchange them for plates?

Theonik

Is there anywhere you can buy Diamond/Ruby/Platinum plates? Want to try to get around the money transfer limit between Kiryu and Majima since I'm absolutely loaded with Kiryu in Chapter 6 (well over a billion yen).

EDIT: Can you still do the thing where you buy the sticks or whatever from the Mahjong place then just turn around and exchange them for plates?
1) A Billion Yen isn't a lot of money in this game.
2) What you actually want to do is finish the moneybags side-story. That will also lift the limit and remove the transfer fee.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
1) A Billion Yen isn't a lot of money in this game.
2) What you actually want to do is finish the moneybags side-story. That will also lift the limit and remove the transfer fee.

I know it's not a lot of money, but for Chapter 6, it kinda is. Especially compared to how much I had with Majima in Chapter 4.

I got Majima's Mad Dog style. If I want to play on legendary, could I carry over the abilities I unlocked? I read on gamefaqs, I think, that you have to start from scratch. If that's true, then that sucks because I would hate to go through process of unlocking styles for Majima and Kiryu again. I haven't unlocked Kiryu's Dragon of Dojima style yet.

I got Majima's Mad Dog style. If I want to play on legendary, could I carry over the abilities I unlocked? I read on gamefaqs, I think, that you have to start from scratch. If that's true, then that sucks because I would hate to go through process of unlocking styles for Majima and Kiryu again. I haven't unlocked Kiryu's Dragon of Dojima style yet.

On Legend difficulty you always start from scratch. You can't even carry over a completed Legend save to a Legend difficulty run.

I know it's not a lot of money, but for Chapter 6, it kinda is. Especially compared to how much I had with Majima in Chapter 4.

Majima gets a ton of money each time he beats another club in the Hostess Club Management side content, so until you can freely transfer cash between him and Kiryu that is your best choice, alongside fighting Mr Shakedown. You can also get some decent rewards from the Dragon and Tiger weapons searching, but that's really random so its not a reliable way to make money at all.

How big of a spoiler is this? I'm about to start Yakuza 0 but wanted to make sure.

nishiki is the antagonist

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's not a big deal to ruin the enjoyment of the game.

How big of a spoiler is this? I'm about to start Yakuza 0 but wanted to make sure.

nishiki is the antagonist

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's not a big deal to ruin the enjoyment of the game.
Nishiki is the antagonist of Yakuza 1/
Kiwami. He's not
an antagonist in this game.
Unless you know absolutely jack shit about the yakuza series, it makes 0 difference on the game. I'd actually say knowing that kinda enhances the experience in some respects.

Can't blame you for knowing that, pretty hard to miss what with him being on the cover of the game and on descriptions and pictures and artworks lol.

Just got wrecked by giant dude named "Mr Shakedown".

Ended my live-stream, quit to title.
Luckily, I had just saved!

I'M LOVING THIS GAME (and Kiwami was my first Yakuza!)

Rymuth

Just got wrecked by giant dude named "Mr Shakedown".

Ended my live-stream, quit to title.
Luckily, I had just saved!

I'M LOVING THIS GAME (and Kiwami was my first Yakuza!)
If this is your fist encounter with him, don't despair. Its meant to teach you to avoid him up until you get strong enough to have your revenge

Oh I totally got that. I actually quit after my second encounter, lol. I almost had him, too!

Feels weird to be so underpowered compared to Kiwami. I'm baby Kiryu!

Nishiki is the antagonist of Yakuza 1/
Kiwami. He's not
an antagonist in this game.
Unless you know absolutely jack shit about the yakuza series, it makes 0 difference on the game. I'd actually say knowing that kinda enhances the experience in some respects.

Can't blame you for knowing that, pretty hard to miss what with him being on the cover of the game and on descriptions and pictures and artworks lol.

Cool sounds good. Thank you!

Gintamen

Oh I totally got that. I actually quit after my second encounter, lol. I almost had him, too!

Feels weird to be so underpowered compared to Kiwami. I'm baby Kiryu!
It's almost like he's reborn in every single game. :p

Since it seems like the vending machine will never drop me the MK2 motor I will just try to finish the game now... Hated one nearly impossible to finish sidequest in Y5 too.

Is there any way to put ability point faster? I have so much money that I could invest a lot in the
dragon of dojima
but I don't want to because it's fucking tedious :'(

Zolo

Just moved up 2 ranks in Mahjong despite only really getting to make straights and matches. I did declare a Ron at the end despite not knowing what that is.

Rymuth

Just moved up 2 ranks in Mahjong despite only really getting to make straights and matches. I did declare a Ron at the end despite not knowing what that is.
Be sure to keep mashing Square after every draw. Game will tell you if you have a hand or not and ask you to declare Riichi

Top Bottom