• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1&2 HD Wii U fails to enter top 50 for first week in Japan

I hope this game's performance sends a clear message to Iwata that the gamepad is the worst idea ever.

The gamepad feature added to this game seems to have actually had a negative impact on sales.

Bruno MB

To be honest I wonder if this would have done better on 360

At least it wouldn't have sold notable worse. Multi-platform Wii U game sales performance in Japan are very similar to their Xbox 360 counterparts. And what's even sadder, I'm talking about current Xbox 360, a console that has been dead for years.

pitt_norton

i played the eshop demo of the wii u version a few weeks back... it was my first experience and it was pretty cool, though i wondered why the cutscenes were so inconsistent. at one point it was displaying scenes with crisp hd visuals, then the next scene will play out in pre recorded low compression video files... both were using in game realtime models.

Yakuza 1+2 HD was prob. the safest way for them to test the waters I guess?

I think if they'd at least already confirmed the other chapters will come the next year or something like that, this first part of the collection would've sell more.
But what's the point in taking the first two on the WiiU if then the other three won't be available on it? Some people don't care. But for example, I don't want to have Yakuza games scattered across different platforms.
But maybe it's just me and my borderline way of thinking some things.

DihcarEM

Wii U is a failed system. Not even Nintendo's own franchises will perform to expectation. The situation is that bad.
Oh please, stop making overdramatic statements. No matter what some fanboys were claiming this was never going to be a success. And the sooner those fans realize that hd ports of old games are never going to set the charts on fire, the better. This didn't even perform that well on ps3 where the installed base is so much bigger.

Nintendo and sega wanting this game to be a success is nothing new, every company that is about to release a game always acts like their game will be the biggest hit ever. Sony, microsoft, capcom,konami,ect are all the same in this. Yet plenty of their games still fail miserably and underperform, regardless of hype.

Kikujiro

This game probably would have sold bad regardless.

I'm sure this port was a lot cheaper than bringing 5 to the west lol

With the port selling this low I wouldn't be so sure.

The problem with Yakuza 5 is not that it's not profitable to bring it here, but big companies have way bigger expectation, a smaller company would immediately localize a game like Yakuza. This is why we didn't get Last Ranker, the last Suikoden for PSP and FF-Type 0. Give these games to XSeed, Atlus, NISA or Aksys and they wouldn't even think twice about what to do.

EDarkness

I think if they'd at least already confirmed the other chapters will come the next year or something like that, this first part of the collection would've sell more.
But what's the point in taking the first two on the WiiU if then the other three won't be available on it? Some people don't care. But for example, I don't want to have Yakuza games scattered across different platforms.

This is my view. My students were initially happy about the announcement for the Wii U, but ultimately I was told it wouldn't matter. There wouldn't be anymore games. Perhaps people are simply tired of "test" games. The Wii was littered with them. Either go all in, or don't bother.

This is my view. My students were initially happy about the announcement for the Wii U, but ultimately I was told it wouldn't matter. There wouldn't be anymore games. Perhaps people are simply tired of "test" games. The Wii was littered with them. Either go all in, or don't bother.

Exactly.
At this point I'll wait for the inevitable PS3 collection, which will be better in almost every aspect.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Whoever wanted the games had already 2 chances with the original PS2 release and the PS3 collection. Nintendo and Sega didn't even try to bring in a new crowd since they ruled right away that Yakuza 3 forward were not coming to the WiiU. Why bother ?

StayDead

PC?

I agree if they just slapped English subtitles on this and release it on PSN it would've been profitable. The WiiU port won't make its money back.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying despite the wii u amount sold in Japan a lot of people who wanted this already got it on PS3. It's got nothing to do with Wii U sales.

Yagharek

I hope this game's performance sends a clear message to Iwata that the gamepad is the worst idea ever.

The gamepad feature added to this game seems to have actually had a negative impact on sales.

You really think Yakuza 1 and 2 HD is the game to demonstrate your point? It'd be like doing a HD port of an outdated western game everyone has moved on from for over 7 years. Splinter Cell 1 & 2 HD perhaps. Hardly proof of anything.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's not even just that tho. The Yakuza fanbase is exclusively on PS3/Sony platforms. Just not gonna happen for the U.

Low attach numbers = low potential sales. Its the pure basics of the problem. Added to the fact that its re-releasing 2 old as hell games on a system that generally does not cater to the same audience does not help things further.

Mithos

Sounds like a catch 22, no one is willing to buy the games because they know there will not be a follow up, and thus sales are low or nonexistent and voila no follow up will be made as a result.

I got Assassin's Creed 3 for my Wii U, I like it, not OMG OMG best game ever, but its a nice game, I'm interested in AC4 and will most likely get that too, UNLESS I hear that AC5 will NOT be coming for Wii U, then why should I bother.

Seems like your students are in the same category as me on that.

Tizoc

If the first 2 sold well, SEGA could've released at least 3 and 4 on the Wii U.
I personally wouldn't mind the series releasing on other systems, if only increase its fanbase or for more people to experience it.
...besides Yakuza 2 had this badass motherfucker, how you gonna dis a game that features him?!
679082-tv2008092108040100.png

mqdefault.jpg

EDarkness

Sounds like a catch 22, no one is willing to buy the games because they know there will not be a follow up, and thus sales are low or nonexistent and voila no follow up will be made as a result.

I got Assassin's Creed 3 for my Wii U, I like it, not OMG OMG best game ever, but its a nice game, I'm interested in AC4 and will most likely get that too, UNLESS I hear that AC5 will NOT be coming for Wii U, then why should I bother.

This is not on the consumer. It's all the developers. If they want to build that confidence, it's on them to do so. Coming out after this game was announced and basically waffling on future support, wasn't the best thing to do. Why would anyone who was into these sorts of games jump in and get invested when the guy is all about the Playstation? There's nothing wrong with his choice of systems, but to foster and build a community will take time and effort if they want to do it. Obviously they are fans of the Playstation and want fans to know they will be getting support in the future...they didn't do the same thing for the Nintendo guys. Fanbases don't build themselves.

At least bring it digital only to the west Sega :(

Sega is not going to touch it in any country with a <1.8K opening debut in Japan.

You realize that a 1.8K opening is $96,154 in gross profit. The net incurred from that doesn't even pay for the couple of guys assigned to work on the port / perform QC testing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the gamepad is surely the main reason this late port of a port failed to chart...

LOCK

The only way they could get the Yakuza audience to buy the Wii U version was to announce the whole series was being ported and/or that the new one was exclusive or timed exclusive.

Nice try though.

Mithos

This is not on the consumer. It's all the developers. If they want to build that confidence, it's on them to do so. Coming out after this game was announced and basically waffling on future support, wasn't the best thing to do. Why would anyone who was into these sorts of games jump in and get invested when the guy is all about the Playstation? There's nothing wrong with his choice of systems, but to foster and build a community will take time and effort if they want to do it. Obviously they are fans of the Playstation and want fans to know they will be getting support in the future...they didn't do the same thing for the Nintendo guys. Fanbases don't build themselves.

I agree completely with what you say, sadly publishers don't give a damn about anything of it it seems, if they did we'd hear that Yakuza 3-4-5 was also coming before 1-2 HD was released, and people would more likely feel ok to jump in.

Boerseun

Banned
I don't think this was supposed to sell. It's there to pad out the catalogue, in my opinion, nothing more. Nintendo likely footed the bill. Sega had a small team port the game. Maybe it sells well, maybe it doesn't. I doubt either company cares. No one got hurt. And I expect to see more low cost ports (of really old games) in Wii U's future. Which is not altogether a bad thing for the niche gamer who actually cares about these things i.e. HD releases of games most fans would already have played through ages ago.

thefro

The only way they could get the Yakuza audience to buy the Wii U version was to announce the whole series was being ported and/or that the new one was exclusive or timed exclusive.

Nice try though.

Yep, there's literally no reason for someone interested in the series to buy the games again on Wii U. You can probably buy the PS3 port a cheaper price. Anyone who was interested in these types of games either had a PS2 or has a PS3 in Japan.

I do think this would do okayish if they threw subs on it and put it up on the eshop in US/EU, since that market hasn't had an easy chance to buy this game, much less in HD.

Coolwhip

Banned
Contract dev regrets having a healthy relationship with biggest publisher of Japan? Tastes the happy, dragonzord!

Some people just have no idea that videogame developers are businesses that are more than happy to land a contract with a giant like Nintendo.

Maybe publishers should try putting some *gasp* new games on the system. No Wii U owner wants a year old port of a port of a decade old game.

Well that's one way to spin it, I guess.

I don't see how that's a spin. Most of the few third party releases on the system don't make any sense. Mass Effect, Batman, Ninja Gaiden 3, Yakuza HD, old to ancient games that have been available on other platforms for years. Anyone who wants to play these games has played them already, what's the point of releasing them on Wii U? How could anyone believe those titles would sell?

Yet another bomb for wiiU software. Shame people didn't pick it up, now sega just needs to bring this and Y5 to the US and EU for the ps3. You know, where a lot of the franchise fans are.

Why would you bet your company on a platform doing as poorly as the WiiU? Third parties have yet to have any large successes on the platform; you'd bet millions in development costs and the future of your company on that?

Oh please, stop making overdramatic statements. No matter what some fanboys were claiming this was never going to be a success. And the sooner those fans realize that hd ports of old games are never going to set the charts on fire, the better. This didn't even perform that well on ps3 where the installed base is so much bigger.

Maybe publishers should try putting some *gasp* new games on the system. No Wii U owner wants a year old port of a port of a decade old game.
So we're expecting Wind Waker HD to do terribly then, correct? People keep tossing out the fact that it's a decade old as a reason for its poor performance, but that casts aspersions on the potential success of Wind Waker as well. Will that stop showing up on lists of system sellers in every WiiU thread now that people have gone negative on HD ports of old games?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Must have been a scorching heatwave.

When do we normally get sellthrough percentages?

Seem to remember it was pegged at like 10% from somebody the other week. So possible shipment of 10k, barely sold 16-17%.

Somnid

So we're expecting Wind Waker HD to do terribly then, correct? People keep tossing out the fact that it's a decade old as a reason for its poor performance, but that casts aspersions on the potential success of Wind Waker as well. Will that stop showing up on lists of system sellers in every WiiU thread now that people have gone negative on HD ports of old games?

Yeah, it's an exclusive remake. Not an old port.

It's a zelda game, nintendo fans will go crazy for any nintendo game at this point, it's going to sell decently at least.

I like how you just ignored my point about all those games being available on other systems for years.
I didn't know Wind Waker HD was released a year ago on PS3. Or that it's a port of a port. Or that Yakuza had anywhere near the same brand power as Zelda. Totally comparable games ;-) You learn something new everyday.

Top Bottom