• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1&2 HD Wii U fails to enter top 50 for first week in Japan

Kid Ying

well, here's another problem.

if we, WiiU users, buy those outdated and shitty ports... the message we're sending to the developers is "we're dumb, port whatever PS/360 game you have lying around there and we'll buy it".
Wiiu users (and any videogame user, in fact) should buy the game if they want to play. We shouldn't care about any message. I don't buy games so i can buy more games in the future. I buy games so i can play games now.

I didn't got Yakuza and will not buy ever. Already played on the PS2, downloaded the demo and there was no reason to buy again. You can say i'm part of the problem, but i'm not giving 5000 yen for anyone just because i want to show support.

SmokyDave

If I had money to just throw away on shitty no-effort ports for the Wii U, I still wouldn't do that. I don't think most people really believe anyone ought to have this worshipful "throw me any bone you can spare for x console because I love it so much" mentality either.

I buy games that appeal to me and, as a multiple console owner, I buy the version that most appeals to me. This is usually the version that is out first or within a reasonable time frame and has the most content. I don't wait for months to buy games I want at full price and I don't purposefully buy versions that are missing game modes or any content.

Maybe other Wii U owners are like me. Or maybe "the audience just isn't there."
It's cool, everyone values different things. Personally, hardware is high up my list. I'd rather wait and play games on the hardware I enjoy using most as I already have more games than I have time to play games. I'll take a late, cut-down port on the Vita over the original game on a 'stationary' platform.

That's just me though. Do as you wish to do with your own time and money.

Kid Ying

It's cool, everyone values different things. Personally, hardware is high up my list. I'd rather wait and play games on the hardware I enjoy using most as I already have more games than I have time to play games. I'll take a late, cut-down port on the Vita over the original game on a 'stationary' platform.

I understand that too. I like to play games on the Wiiu and all that. Heck, i even bought Injustice japan version with no one to play online ever and i'm happy. I just didn't want to buy Yakuza. I think it's nice to have the game on the console library, but i've already played that and i felt no urge to get the game again.

If they ported Yakuza 4 or 5 (which will never happen) i would probably get it, since i've never played those. I just don't think people should be ashamed of not buying. You should buy if you want to play the game, not to send a message. To send a message i'll mail them. My money is more valuable than that.

graywolf323

I wonder how much the port cost vs how much localization of Yakuza 5 would cost

Yakuza has to sell better than that in America doesn't it?

Ratrat

if we, WiiU users, buy those outdated and shitty ports... the message we're sending to the developers is "we're dumb, port whatever PS/360 game you have lying around there and we'll buy it".
It's not a shitty port and was actually marketed. Yakuza is one of the biggest 3rd party franchises in Japan. Either way it's very transparent they were gauging interest to potentially have the franchise go multiplat. That wont happen now, which is NOT encouraging to other pubs.

Mileena

Banned
So its easier to sell bad games/port to PS3 or 360 owners, somehow I don't see the good in that scenario.
Yes PS360 owners buy bad games and Nintendo fans demand only the best, that's why third party sw sells like shit. I love you people so much ;]

crinale

Before this snowball really gets rolling, Yakuza 1&2 HD is not some "shitty port" as far as I'm aware. Also while Yakuza 1 is pretty rough around the edges, Yakuza 2 is one of the finest games Sega has ever produced. Now in HD. With Off TV Play™ and GamePad™ exclusive features!!

That what makes me mad too. People call a game "shitty port" after the game bombs is quite annoying. (They should rather call it shitty decision regarding choice of console they are porting games to.)

The reason people buy "port" is simple: they see some value in them.
When 360 was launched ports sold well because people see HD graphics as the added value.
When Yakuza 1 & 2 HD was released at PS3, people saw some value in it too.
Handhelds often gets "downports" of console games but some of them still sell, because people see some added value. They can carry those games around.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm just saying I don't think most people believe that's what all console owners should be doing and I hope you're not suggesting that the problem here is that Wii U owners aren't more like you. Because, while it may make you happy to spend your money like that, it's a ludicrous thing to expect or require other people to do in order to receive games with effort.

so... Yakuza is a shitty port now?

I remember that shitty ports like No More Heroes HD sold better on PS3 and 360 than the original version in Japan. Maybe some people should just accept that Nintendo consumers are only interested in Nintendo games or games associated with Nintendo.

EDarkness

PS3 at the start of this generation got plenty of bad and late ports, the sales of which were good enough that publishers started treating it equally to the 360. Plenty of games are ported to the PC late, such as Dark Souls and Mortal Kombat, and they still manage to perform above expectations. Why should Wii U owners be any different? Maybe the market for these games just isn't there.

The PS3 never had any problem with support. Good or bad, players always knew they were getting games...even if later. Who was holding their breath that X game wasn't going to be released for the PS3? So bad ports, good ports, it didn't matter. On top of that, there weren't a lot of first party offerings that were in competition. So if they wanted to play games they had to live with these ports. It's pretty much all they had.

But the other factor here is that the HD guys were in need of games. They couldn't get those games anywhere else. The Wii U doesn't have that luxury because HD development is everywhere. Perhaps you can blame Nintendo for not doing anything earth shattering with the Wii U, but that also means these ports have to be on par because no one needs to buy them. Just adding a few Wiipad functions and throwing them out there, isn't going to cut it.

Kid Ying

It's not a shitty port and was actually marketed. Yakuza is one of the biggest 3rd party franchises in Japan. Either way it's very transparent they were gauging interest to potentially have the franchise go multiplat. That wont happen now, which is NOT encouraging to other pubs.
I'll have to say, it was not marketed. There's no ads, just an youtube trailer.

About the shitty port, i don't think it is. There's just not an audience for it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
All this talk of "don't want ports/go home sega", meanwhile Virtual Console + Wind Waker HD topics of hype.

Sorry Yakuza, you are not retro enough yet.

Virtual Console is very old games at a cheap price, Wind Waker HD is a way more substantial update compared to Yakuza HD, let alone that this game wasn't rereleased a year ago. Anyway, I could very well live without an HD port of Wind Waker and without the VC, too.

zruben

Banned
Wiiu users (and any videogame user, in fact) should buy the game if they want to play. We shouldn't care about any message. I don't buy games so i can buy more games in the future. I buy games so i can play games now.

I didn't got Yakuza and will not buy ever. Already played on the PS2, downloaded the demo and there was no reason to buy again. You can say i'm part of the problem, but i'm not giving 5000 yen for anyone just because i want to show support.

so... Yakuza is a shitty port now?

alright, let me be clear here...

I'm not calling it "shitty port" implying that the games are bad or something like that.

I'm calling it "shitty port" because it's a port that was already released on another console a year ago and they are still charging full price.

it falls in the same category as ME3, Batman AC, NFS, AC3 and COD:BLOPS2... it's just absurd to think that those games that are already available on other platforms would do good numbers on the WiiU

and as I said before... IF those games got good numbers on the WiiU, it shows the developers that they can port whatever old game they have, (because it's easy money); and the WiiU would get more and more games like that.

here's the catch:
the market audience for those games are either
-"Core gamers" Nintendo fans who went "nintendo only" last generation (for whatever reasons they had)
-"Core gamers" in general, that probably owned either a 360 or PS3 last generation.

The first group of people are buying those games, and as we can see, the numbers are small.
The second group of people already owns those games, or they can get it a LOT cheaper on other console (also, achievements and trophies).

So, yeah... all those (good) games are "shitly" planned, "shitly" marketed, and "shitly" produced (framerate issues)... so, yeah, they are shitty ports for me.

Hiltz

I'm not really sure why Sega thought it was a good idea to port 6-7 year old titles to a struggling console. The last thing Wii U needs are very old third party ports. Besides, it's not like RE: Revelations did well on Wii U earlier this year and it came out at the same time as the other HD versions.

Ratrat

I'm not really sure why Sega thought it was a good idea to port 6-7 year old titles to a struggling console. The last thing Wii U needs are very old third party ports. Besides, it's not like RE: Revelations did well on Wii U earlier this year and it came out at the same time as the other HD versions, but only the PS3 version did well.
It was a low risk option to see if there was even the slightest minuscule speck of interest.

It's two games for the price of one (or less?) of a really popular franchise in Japan. Not only that, it's a franchise that Nintendo fans have not accessed to it before. If Game & Wario can chart, this game should have as well.

The reason for the terrible sales is a combination of the following:

- there is an overlap of PS3 owners and Wii U owners
- Wii U owners are only willing to buy Nintendo games
- Wii U owners have super inflated standards and won't buy ports (regardless of timeliness and quality)
- Wii U demographic is not appropriate for mature games

There is no other explanation for shit like Game & Wario to outperform Yakuza.

Mithos

It was a low risk option to see if there was even the slightest minuscule speck of interest.

And if there had been, here take a few more low risk made games.

And yet Nintendo is banking hard on a Wind Waker port.

A Game that was released on Gamecube like 10 years ago and then on NOTHING since then.

The reason for the terrible sales is a combination of the following:

- there is an overlap of PS3 owners and Wii U owners
- Wii U owners are only willing to buy Nintendo games
- Wii U owners have super inflated standards and won't buy ports (regardless of timeliness and quality)
- Wii U demographic is not appropriate for mature games

Bolded for me, BUT with the following correction to fit me.
- Wii U owners have super inflated standards and won't buy badly made/late ports at higher price then compared to other platforms it is on.

I'm not sure why people keep pointing out: Everyone who wants to play Yakuza has already played it.

That's the point.

To find out whether or not a Wii U SKU expands the sales potential of the franchise, and it doesn't.

Whether that's because A) there is no real audience for games like Yakuza on the Wii U, or B) whatever audience there is on the Wii U for Yakuza can and has already played it on a different platform, of a combination of the above - which is probably the likely case - is ultimately moot.

It served it's purpose and was the cheapest way to do so I imagine.

Well no shit...

PS3 install base = millions
Wii U install base = 1 million

Game came out last year on PS3 already.

Late port = death.

Duh.

I'm hoping SEGA announces 5 & HD Collection for NA, I am getting frustrated by lack of news...I mean they brought Hatsune Miku over (although all they did is translate the menu and put romaji)

zruben

Banned
And yet Nintendo is banking hard on a Wind Waker port.

why do people keep bringing that up? it's a completely differnet situation.

-it's an already loved franchise in the fanbase
-it's an exclusive franchise for the system
-it hasn't been released before in other systems
-it's not already available cheaper anywhere

Wind Waker HD is comparable to Xbone getting a Halo 3 SUPER HD edition, or PS4 getting a Uncharted 3 ENHACED VERSION or something like that. They are exclusive versions not available cheaper on other platforms, and clearly, the market audience is actually interested in the games.

No more heroes?
Muramasa?
Tales?
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
That Sony fans are cool with buying late ports?
Interesting that all of those ports have more content than the originals and not less, like the Wii U ports.

But I'm convinced. Wii U owners hate good games, it's clearly the only answer.

I'm calling it "shitty port" because it's a port that was already released on another console a year ago and they are still charging full price.

it falls in the same category as ME3, Batman AC, NFS, AC3 and COD:BLOPS2... it's just absurd to think that those games that are already available on other platforms would do good numbers on the WiiU
Genuine question: if having a game on another platform months earlier and porting it to another platform for the same price means poor or non-existent sales on the new platform, then doesn't the greater success many games see with late PC ports from the 360/PS3 negate that argument? I'd find it hard to be argued that, just like you argue with WiiU owners, that a significant and possibly majority do not own both a PC and one of the HD twins, so if it was available to them for months, by your argument, the port should have failed, no?

RAWi

Guess my prediction was right 3 months ago.

"Since most all yakuza fans in japan have a PS3 and the collection sold 80-100k there is no chance in hell the wii u version will go past 10-20k imo"

Seriously, this is the best comment I have seen.

HD Remake was already out there for PS3 fans, where most Yakuza fans are. So a year after they still have this HD Remake, possibilities of them buying a second copy is waaaay too low. And even then, what secures them of getting Yakuza 3, 4, 5, o bazillion in the future for the Wii U, when they know they will surely get them por PS3.

Good port, bad execution. Marketing people should have made better research. Or... perhaps this was meant to happen (due to contracts).

I'm not sure why people keep pointing out: Everyone who wants to play Yakuza has already played it.

That's the point.

To find out whether or not a Wii U SKU expands the sales potential of the franchise, and it doesn't.

Whether that's because A) there is no real audience for games like Yakuza on the Wii U, or B) whatever audience there is on the Wii U for Yakuza can and has already played it on a different platform, of a combination of the above - which is probably the likely case - is ultimately moot.

It served it's purpose and was the cheapest way to do so I imagine.

Exactly, if everyone interested in yakuza that owns a wiiu owns a ps3 it shows their is no audience to expand to. Everytime someone brings up the late port excuse it does more harm than good because 3rd parties can think oh so we dont have to port to any more platforms because they all own X and X anyway.

No more heroes?
Muramasa?
Tales?
To elaborate on this a little.

Title: FW/LTD if known
No More Heroes: 20,320/
No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition: 40,050/45,522

Tales of Graces: 143,309/212,769
Tales of Graces F: 219,921/313,215

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (incl. budget edition): 23,900/75,648
Muramasa Rebirth: 39,248/57,611*

I think it's higher than this now, but can't find more recent a number than week 16 Famitsu. For these titles, late and smaller installed base, but still a bigger audience within that installed base than for the original title.
Exactly, if everyone interested in yakuza that owns a wiiu owns a ps3 it shows their is no audience to expand to. Everytime someone brings up the late port excuse it does more harm than good because 3rd parties can think oh so we dont have to port to any more platforms because they all own X and X,
Pretty much. I'm not sure why it's consistently brought up as some sort of defense of poor sales. The end result is still that a Wii U SKU simply doesn't increase the audience that a title can address. It's simply reason for third parties to not make ports.

To elaborate on this a little.

Title: FW/LTD if known
No More Heroes: 20,320/
No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition: 40,050/45,522

Tales of Graces: 143,309/212,769
Tales of Graces F: 219,921/313,215

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (incl. budget edition): 23,900/75,648
Muramasa Rebirth: 39,248/57,611*

I think it's higher than this now, but can't find more recent a number than week 16 Famitsu. For these titles, late and smaller installed base, but still a bigger audience within that installed base than for the original title.
Same question to you as the other guy.

Do those ports have more or less content than the originals?
With the assumption that more content may be a reason for someone to double dip while less content would be less of a reason to do the same.

Ratrat

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?
That Sony fans are cool with buying late ports?
Interesting that all of those ports have more content than the originals and not less, like the Wii U ports.

But I'm convinced. Wii U owners hate good games, it's clearly the only answer.
I was under the impression that it was identical with gamepad support. Looking at reviews it seems to lack installation but otherwise the same. My point is that shitty effort or not there is no audience as seen by the sales. No More Heroes was a horrendous port that was released after the wii exclusive sequel.
Besides wouldn't additional content only matter for existing fans who might double dip?

Azull

The 50th best selling game moved 1878 units, according to Dengeki, so Yakuza 1&2 HD would be lower for that for its first week.

giphy.gif

With the assumption that more content may be a reason for someone to double dip while less content would be less of a reason to do the same.
I'm not sure why your assumption is that these people are "double dipping." Or why you're focusing so much upon it as if that was the intent of such ports. There certainly may be some degree of that, but I'm not sure on what basis you're drawing this from.

Especially when for example with the Tales series, for instance, the first proper entry on the PS3 ultimately sold over 600K, 3x what Graces did.

I don't think the intent of No More Heroes: Red Zone and Graces F on the PS3 or Muramasa on the Vita was to get people to double dip, rather than to try and capture a potentially missed audience that wasn't on the original platform.

The improved success these titles saw on alternate platforms (despite much smaller installed bases) wasn't due to increased content, it was because the alternate platform simply had a more receptive audience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What a waste of time that "experiment" was. Sega, stop being dolts and actually do people a favour by releasing the HD collection and Y5 in the West instead of releasing Yakuza games on platforms where they won't sell shit.

Nailed it. And release Val Chron 3, damn it.

No More Heroes was actually a worse port, and besides having better graphics i dont think muramasa added anything. There is still no excuse for Graces to have done that badly besides the fact that the Tales audience doesn't get nintendo platforms

Edit: Oh and what shinra said

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Meanwhile U owners are begging for a port of Bayonetta, so yes, it seems U owners do want old PS3/360 games.

Top Bottom