• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1&2 HD Wii U fails to enter top 50 for first week in Japan

I don't think wiiu owners should be worrying about getttting late ports when there is the possibility next year will be completely barren from 3rd parties. There is literally 0 games scheduled for 2014 from 3rd parties at retail

I was under the impression that it was identical with gamepad support. Looking at reviews it seems to lack installation but otherwise the same. My point is that shitty effort or not there is no audience as seen by the sales. No More Heroes was a horrendous port that was released after the wii exclusive sequel.
Besides wouldn't additional content only matter for existing fans who might double dip?
You're talking about Yakuza in the first part? I've heard much the same. I wouldn't say it is shitty so much as just a year late on an install base that I think is very likely to overlap with the PS3 userbase. This can't be proven any more than "no audience" thing and both seem pretty unlikely by themselves. No one is arguing that the PS3 userbase is more likely to buy late ports, I'm just saying this doesn't prove Wii U owners aren't interested in good games, especially when many Wii to PS3 ports had additional content that could in fact influence someone to double dip where the Wii U's feature-stripped ports certainly don't have even that going for them.

I can't help but with agree that there may not be an expanded audience. There's no leg to stand on there. But that doesn't mean there isn't an audience. It is possible that given a timely content equal release of some multiplat game, more people would choose to buy the Wii U version.

At the rate we're going we'll never know and we'll have only absurd speculation on both sides. Maybe we'll see this fall if
Activision and Ubisoft can get Wii U versions out on time and bother to give them equal content.

zruben

Banned
Genuine question: if having a game on another platform months earlier and porting it to another platform for the same price means poor or non-existent sales on the new platform, then doesn't the greater success many games see with late PC ports from the 360/PS3 negate that argument? I'd find it hard to be argued that, just like you argue with WiiU owners, that a significant and possibly majority do not own both a PC and one of the HD twins, so if it was available to them for months, by your argument, the port should have failed, no?

I'm not familiar with the PC platform, really, so I'm just answering with a hunch.
I'm sure PC + Console gamers prefer to play most of the games on PC, because of the hardware performance... also, PC versions are usually cheaper...

none of those things are happening with the WiiU.

Meanwhile U owners are begging for a port of Bayonetta, so yes, it seems U owners do want old PS3/360 games.

I don't think there's really a fuss of port begging with that particular title, but I'll bite.

it's a bad example because it's a totally different situation.
Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive... Nintendo is funding it and nintendo owners usually "trust" Nintendo decisions (as any other console users do with their first/second party titles). WiiU getting Bayo 2 raised the interest of SOME Nintendo fans on the franchise, is normal that they want a prequel in the system, so they don't have to buy another hardware to play it.

Yawnier

Banned
Nagoshi must be pissed off at life right now, but hey now they can focus on bringing Yakuza 5 over and localizing it to us non-Japan fans of the series.

sd28821

This has got to be the only forum I have been on where people shit on a console audience for not buying an inferior or late product that didn't do all that well to begin with .

Nagoshi must be pissed off at life right now, but hey now they can focus on bringing Yakuza 5 over and localizing it to us non-Japan fans of the series.

Nagoshi has never given a shit about this. Iwata must have been extremely desperate to dedicate half a ND to this. That's honestly the funnier part is that iwata seemingly thought this was a big deal

Yawnier

Banned
Nagoshi has never given a shit about this. Iwata must have been extremely desperate to dedicate half a ND to this. That's honestly the funnier part is that iwata seemingly thought this was a big deal

Yeah, you're probably right he's most likely too busy and working on Y6 for the PS4 anyways.

SaviorX

This has got to be the only forum I have been on where people shit on a console audience for not buying an inferior or late product that didn't do all that well to begin with .
The customer should never be blamed for a game not selling. It is up to a business to sell their product.
I have a hard time seeing how you can justify reselling a game from 2006 ON THE PS2 at an elevated price twice in a row. I mean damn, they are asking a lot from a user base that's barely above 1 million.

Outside of Nintendo, original games from third parties have become increasingly rare these past several years. There have been SO MANY PORTS and "test games" with depressive caveats that turn people off from buying them.

What is inferior about the port? Also, late ports to other systems have performed better than their original counterparts in the past.

To me, some people just don't realize or want to accept just how badly this game performed. A damn rerelease on the PS3 would have sold more.

prwxv3

I still think Iwatta first asked for yakuza 3, 4, 5, and future games instead of the HD remaster but Sega refused.

udivision

What is inferior about the port? Also, late ports to other systems have performed better than their original counterparts in the past.

To me, some people just don't realize or want to accept just how badly this game performed. A damn rerelease on the PS3 would have sold more.

This is a port of a PS3 release, IIRC. It came out last November and it did sell more. Well, that probably feeds into second-hand view of this release anyway.

sd28821

The customer should never be blamed for a game not selling. It is up to a business to sell their product.
I have a hard time seeing how you can justify reselling a game from 2006 ON THE PS2 at an elevated price twice in a row. I mean damn, they are asking a lot from a user base that's barely above 1 million.

Outside of Nintendo, original games from third parties have become increasingly rare these past several years. There have been SO MANY PORTS and "test games" with depressive caveats that turn people off from buying them.

honestly i doubt any one expected this to sell well the ps3 version only sold 100k on the console where this games audience and a much higher install base so why would a late port of it on a console with a smaller install base buy it when there is no reason to do so beyond wanting to play only the first two games and not owning a ps3.

Seriously if they wanted to test multi platform viability this had to be the worse way to do so especially since it didn't have a whole bunch of extra content which the games quoted by shinra-bansho all had.

Raist

Banned
Bolded for me, BUT with the following correction to fit me.
- Wii U owners have super inflated standards and won't buy badly made/late ports at higher price then compared to other platforms it is on.

So you're saying you're refusing to buy even good games just before they were released before on other consoles? Well I guess you won't spend much money on games then.

$h@d0w

If adding bloom, making the boat faster, putting message board posts in bottles for you to find and putting the tri force pieces in the locations where the charts were makes it a remake, then that's pretty sad for the standards of what a remake is. Sounds more like an old port.

Not the same game man, all of those brand new features totally change the original. This is all new content.

Hiltz

I don't think wiiu owners should be worrying about getttting late ports when there is the possibility next year will be completely barren from 3rd parties. There is literally 0 games scheduled for 2014 from 3rd parties at retail

Actually, there's Project Cars scheduled for Spring 2014 and also a 3rd Sonic title for next year. Of course, third party support will likely be worse next year due to overall poor performance of Wii U this year. Publishers like Ubisoft in particular, should wisely reduce software support for Wii U. Sadly, we have yet to see any serious Japanese software support despite how publishers like Capcom have said it has more projects in store for Wii U (not being based on old ports), but given how bad this year has been for the console, it wouldn't be surprising if third parties like Capcom have already canceled some projects for Wii U.

It was a hot week.

edit:
beaten :-/
is this becoming a meme now? I read today British was boosted by our recent heat wave, but the same excuse was used for a poor month in game sales. I appreciate some things will rise while others will drop but.. it seems like excuses.

Mithos

So you're saying you're refusing to buy even good games just before they were released before on other consoles? Well I guess you won't spend much money on games then.

It was a collection of reasons. So YES or NO, depending on how you look at it. Want me to buy that late port of the game it has to be par with the other versions and at same price.

I will not buy ME3:SE for $60 1 year late when ME3 cost $20 on all other platforms, and when all other platforms get Trilogy for $60.

Kid Ying

Not really, no. For opening sales they made like $90,000 gross, <$45,000 net profit. That most definitely won't cover manufacturing + licensing + distribution + development costs + QC, unless Nintendo helped out.

Maybe, with time, Sega might be able to break even.

But by that point its sales will be moot....Sega will have already written off the title as a loss and nailed the coffin on future Wii U Yakuza titles.
It's not like that. Sega gets the money by shipping to the stores. After that, it's all on the retailer box. What it means is that a second shipping is never going to happen, but if Sega shipped enough, they're already good. Capcom did something like that with Revelaitons. They shipped almost 40k copies and sold 10k for the Wiiu. Capcom is never going to do another ship, but for their numbers, it's as good as sold.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sega before you get another stupid idea why don't you just give us localized yakuza black panther 1&2 hd, valkyrie chronicles 3 hd on vita and phantasy star online 2 for pc & vita?

Remember when Nintendo fans thought these ports were a huge victory and the entire series was going to move over to Nintendo? Hilarious at the time, even more hilarious in hindsight.

It's not like that. Sega gets the money by shipping to the stores. After that, it's all on the retailer box. What it means is that a second shipping is never going to happen, but if Sega shipped enough, they're already good. Capcom did something like that with Revelaitons. They shipped almost 40k copies and sold 10k for the Wiiu. Capcom is never going to do another ship, but for their numbers, it's as good as sold.

Yeah, you're right...I'm sleep deprived, sorry about that.

DC1

I'm going on a twitter mission.
Folks want to save me some leg work and shoot me the twitter names of my targets?
(I'm not in a position to do the research now, however, I'll be more than happy to do so tonight).

I really don't want my hart broken by Sega on this.
For me,the HD collection and Y5 title are above/has a higher "play" priority then every upcoming game release within the next 6 months (next gen included).

pixlexic

Banned
Why should a rerelease of games that everyone there has already played sell well?

boggles my mind what these publisher are thinking.

Frodo

Remember when Nintendo fans thought these ports were a huge victory and the entire series was going to move over to Nintendo? Hilarious at the time, even more hilarious in hindsight.

No, I actually don't remember that. Most people were aware that the port bombed on the PS3 it had no reason to be a success on the Wii U with a much smaller installed base.

Some people did though that it might indicate other games of the series would come to the Wii U, and honestly there is nothing wrong with thinking that.

Quicksilver88

Neo Member
What I hate about this is it was an expirement that anyone with a brain would know woudl fail. The remake didn't sell that well on PS3 when the installed base in Japan is what like 15x bigger than WiiU. No one was clamoring for it saying yes please bring us Yazuka 1/2 PS3 port of 10 year old ps2 games. So its like Sega just wanted to do this, see it fail, and now they can say see HD remakes aren't worth doing for WiiU.

As other have said why not bring something exlcusive in the way of a remake to the table that no other system has gotten? Shenmue 1 and 2 would be unreal and likely generate somes sales and system sales. Skies of Arcadia was nicely ported to Game Cube and therefore would be easy to get running on WiiU. A crazy taxi compilation would be nice but doubt it would sell systems. HD remakes in general aren't going to sell systems. Zelda WW may be an exception but we will have to see, I mean that game was somewhat underappreciated in its day and Ninentdo is almost doing a reboot more than a remake.

I just hope Nintendo can turn WiiU around even to be a moderate sucess which to me would be 30-40mil units. The system is not bad (regardless of what the grafx whore trolls say). Ninentdo's handling of the system has been horrible and now it has a smeared reputation and no momentum. Good games will help and they will come via Nintendo and some other JAP exclusives like the platinum games, sega agreement, SMTxFE and maybe Ubi who I would love if they would make a red steele 3 and ZombieU 2.

It just mystifies me how so many of the things people are clamoring for Nintendo is either not doing or not talking about. People want an HD Metriod, people want a new multiplayer online Starfox, people want great classics like Excitebike 64 or DK 64 sequels. People want an Eternal Darkness sequel (I know about shadow of the eternals but will it ever even make it out), people want F-Zero HD, people want GC on VC so we can replay some of those greats with offTV support. I love Mario, Zelda, and DKC as much as the next Nintendo fan but we have gotten plenty of those franchises recently and they are not hungry for them like some of the others I have mentioned.

What is worrisome is Nintendo is having a bit of an identity crisis with the WiiU. They sold their souls to the cassuals with the Wii and that was really a one generation phenomina as those casual gamers have now moved on to other devices, still they might be smart to put out a Wii Sports HD with the best of the two wii games and some new ones as well just because it might appeal to some of the families and casuals that liked the Wii. Yet the 'core' Nintendo fans like myself that either had their youth filled with the NES/SNES or even the N64 are not being catered to either. I already own a WiiU and am a supporter but if they can not sell millions of units in the 4th qtr this year then I don't think the system will reach even moderate sucess. Meanwhile Nintendo just sits on their hands like they have nothing to worry about. They have a amazing large war chest and should be willing to take a loss on WiiU hardware this Xmas when their are some good games in the name of increasing the base, they should be advertising the system everywhere, they should be paying EA or Ubi or other western devs to get some exlusives. I am sure $ony is going to be eating over $100 per unit on the ps4 for the next year but they understand that if they don't win this generation they may not see another round of consoles (unthinkable but $ony's financial situation outside of the gaming division has been grim and the Vita is flopping bigger than the WiiU).

Unlike some others I would hate to see Nintendo exit the hardware arena. They have done more to push innovation than anyone else in gaming. They try stuff and even when it doesn't have wild success they still support it. If Iwata can't turn the WiiU momentum around by the middle of next year then as much as I like him I think he needs to be sacked and someone else needs to be given a chance to shake up the company.

Darryl

Banned

i wouldn't take ND screen time as meaning anything personal to anyone. it is just a free advertising channel. they take small things and devote excessive amounts of time for them like literally every ND.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea why they thought this would sell anything.

It's a late port of an HD remake of games that are coming on 10 years old and they are charging damn near $50 for it.

The Ryu ga Gotoku brand is firmly associated with PlayStation. It's extremely unlikely that there were people who refused to own a PlayStation 2 or PlayStation 3, own a Wii U, and were still interested in playing these games.

AniHawk

Which is higher, TotA 3D or ToGF? How do they compare to TotA PS2?

The Tales series has generally done a lot better in the US on Nintendo systems than on Sony systems, IIRC. I can't help but think the Graces would have been a lot more successful on the Wii than it was on the PS3 here if Namco had bothered to release it.

graces f > abyss ps2 > abyss 3ds

I still fail to understand how selling 60k of something can not make a translation profitable, while at the same time being enough to fund entire games.

localization of a big title, even if it's just a translation for subs, eats up resources. for a big company, the return on investment might not be that good (meaning, they'd be able to make money, but not as much if they spent those resources on another game or other games). for a smaller company like aksys, it would basically cripple them. open-world games have a ton of text, and even if they were able to secure the license, they'd probably be stuck working on the game much longer than they would want to. it would tie up the process to the point where other people couldn't be working on anything (if you only have one game in production, marketing and production employees will be left with little or no work to do eventually).

Top Bottom