• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1&2 HD Wii U fails to enter top 50 for first week in Japan

Yeah, it's an exclusive remake. Not an old port.
If adding bloom, making the boat faster, putting message board posts in bottles for you to find and putting the tri force pieces in the locations where the charts were makes it a remake, then that's pretty sad for the standards of what a remake is. Sounds more like an old port.

rjc571

Banned
maybe a little of both. the floor for the tales series is about 40k (tales of the world for the psp). the tales games on the psx did about 60k each. symphonia was a huge outlier nearing 500k. everything except symphonia 2 and vesperia has been under 100k.

Which is higher, TotA 3D or ToGF? How do they compare to TotA PS2?

The Tales series has generally done a lot better in the US on Nintendo systems than on Sony systems, IIRC. I can't help but think the Graces would have been a lot more successful on the Wii than it was on the PS3 here if Namco had bothered to release it.

it sold less than 1878 units? that's really despressing. I'm still hoping for a western release but with sales figures like that, ouch. Hopefully the PS3 version gets released here instead then.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SEGA would be smart to bring this over to the west on another platform other than WiiU or just not putting the effort into the platform right now.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A port of two ancient PS2 games didn't sell?

I for one am shocked.

Shiggy

If adding bloom, making the boat faster, putting message board posts in bottles for you to find and putting the tri force pieces in the locations where the charts were makes it a remake, then that's pretty sad for the standards of what a remake is. Sounds more like an old port.

Wind Waker HD is an enhanced port.

Why Nagoshi doesn't turn back making F-Zero, if he really wants to work on WiiU?

(any other game would be fine, actually; I wonder how can a talented, almost visionary developer, accomodate himself doing pratically the same thing over and over)

Sure, after all the sale numbers for those 3rd party games were so marvelous that publisher are lining up to put their new game on Wii U.

Oh wait...
The 3rd party games on the system have by and large been so poor of efforts they're lucky anyone bought them at all. Or have you missed the threads since Wii U launch where most launch titles, including CoD, removed pre-order bonuses, removed DLC, were months to year late ports selling full price against better performing versions on other consoles, etc.

You can't really judge how well a truly competetive 3rd party multiplat would perform on Wii U because none have been released yet.

Sure, after all the sale numbers for those 3rd party games were so marvelous that publisher are lining up to put their new game on Wii U.

Oh wait...

Except for Zombi U and Lego City, third party games on Wii U have doomed themselves. Old ports like Mass Effect 3 for full price when the whole trilogy gets released on the other consoles at the same time for the same price, Batman for full price when I could have picked it up on PS3 for 20 bucks a year ago, Need for Speed months later and a lot more expensive than the other versions, missing modes and DLC etc.. You'd have to be dumb to buy those games. I'm not saying that the sales and the audience of the Wii U didn't have an impact on the failure of those titles, but there were failures from the start.

kmax

Well, since the Wii U isn't exactly the hottest console on the market, combined with the fact that the vast majority of people that wanted to play this already picked it up on the ps3, I'm not really that blown away by this.

While its good that Nintendo are releasing third party games on the Wii U, merely doing ports is not going to cut it for them. When it all boils down to it, the Wii U really is a flawed console. Most publishers are not going to waste money specifically developing games for the console, since it requires to take the questionable gamepad into consideration, as well as the fact that the userbase is much smaller than what it is for the Xbox and the PlayStation. There's no incentive present.

It's a catch-22. Nintendo has boxed themselves in a corner with the Wii U. The lack of revenue stream as well as the fact that they're already losing money on the console is the reason why we haven't seen any major system selling first party games already. As for most publishers, they're not spending money if they aren't getting any, so the status quo will remain.

So yeah, not surprising. What will surprise me is how they turn this around, since it's a rather complex situation they're stuck in. The odds aren't exactly looking up though...

Jay Sosa

Maybe this will put an end to all those ridiculous no effort remakes of games that whoever is interested in already has played.

Gimme REmake quality or stop with this shit. Same with Wind Waker HD, no new content and you expect me to pay full price for that shit? Seriously?

I'm not sure what the thinking was behind this anyway. All of the the games in the Yakuza series are PS exclusive so even if someone bought the Wii U version and liked it, they'd have to buy a PS3 anyway to get the rest of the series. They might as well just buy the PS3 version of the collection and have all of them on one platform.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This video has at least 2 times more views then the game sales!
Sorry couldn't resist

I wonder what Sega now thinks of Sonic exclusive on WiiU :).

What would they think? Yakuza has never been on a non-Sony platform, this is just a port of a collection of old games that wasn't too popular on its original release either, whereas Sonic is a completely new game in a franchise that is traditionally the most successful on Nintendo platforms and where the last multi platform game performed best on Wii U, although it was a launch game for a console with a very low install base going against two established platforms. Yakuza HD has nothing to do with Sonic Lost World's potential.

Xanonano

Except for Zombi U and Lego City, third party games on Wii U have doomed themselves. Old ports like Mass Effect 3 for full price when the whole trilogy gets released on the other consoles at the same time for the same price, Batman for full price when I could have picked it up on PS3 for 20 bucks a year ago, Need for Speed months later and a lot more expensive than the other versions, missing modes and DLC etc.. You'd have to be dumb to buy those games. I'm not saying that the sales and the audience of the Wii U didn't have an impact on the failure of those titles, but there were failures from the start.
Here's the problem though: if Wii U owners don't buy those ports, it shows third parties that there isn't an audience for those types of game on the console. This means that there's no point putting in any effort to achieving parity with the other versions, as they won't see any return on the investment. I don't think having timely and feature complete Wii U versions would have had any impact on the sales of those games overall.

Here's the problem though: if Wii U owners don't buy those ports, it shows third parties that there isn't an audience for those types of game on the console. This means that there's no point putting in any effort to achieving parity with the other versions, as they won't see any return on the investment. I don't think having timely and feature complete Wii U versions would have had any impact on the sales of those games overall.
What you're saying is that there is an entry fee of buying shitty games before a userbase can expect good games. What you're saying is that it is Wii U owners' fault that third parties are putting out bad games and it will be Wii U owners' fault that they continue to get bad games because they didn't buy other bad games.

And you're also saying that Wii U owners would just as soon buy a terrible port as a day one multiplat with feature parity.

I'm sure you and others believe all that but... come on.

Well, since the Wii U isn't exactly the hottest console on the market, combined with the fact that the vast majority of people that wanted to play this already picked it up on the ps3, I'm not really that blown away by this.

While its good that Nintendo are releasing third party games on the Wii U, merely doing ports is not going to cut it for them. When it all boils down to it, the Wii U really is a flawed console. Most publishers are not going to waste money specifically developing games for the console, since it requires to take the questionable gamepad into consideration, as well as the fact that the userbase is much smaller than what it is for the Xbox and the PlayStation. There's no incentive present.

It's a catch-22. Nintendo has boxed themselves in a corner with the Wii U. The lack of revenue stream as well as the fact that they're already losing money on the console is the reason why we haven't seen any major system selling first party games already. As for most publishers, they're not spending money if they aren't getting any, so the status quo will remain.

So yeah, not surprising. What will surprise me is how they turn this around, since it's a rather complex situation they're stuck in. The odds aren't exactly looking up though...
Pretty much this. No developer wants to invest on the Wii U, resulting on ports, but on the other hand Wii U owners don't want ports, resulting in shitty sales.

It's a vicious cycle with no exit in sight that only drags the Wii U down more and more.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All this talk of "don't want ports/go home sega", meanwhile Virtual Console + Wind Waker HD topics of hype.

Sorry Yakuza, you are not retro enough yet.

Xanonano

What you're saying is that there is an entry fee of buying shitty games before a userbase can expect good games. What you're saying is that it is Wii U owners' fault that third parties are putting out bad games and it will be Wii U owners' fault that they continue to get bad games because they didn't buy other bad games.
PS3 at the start of this generation got plenty of bad and late ports, the sales of which were good enough that publishers started treating it equally to the 360. Plenty of games are ported to the PC late, such as Dark Souls and Mortal Kombat, and they still manage to perform above expectations. Why should Wii U owners be any different? Maybe the market for these games just isn't there.
And you're also saying that Wii U owners would just as soon buy a terrible port as a day one multiplat with feature parity.
I'm sure the Wii U versions would have sold more if they were at parity, but at the expense of the other versions selling less. For third parties, it really boils down to: how many people will buy the Wii U version that wouldn't have bought one of the other versions it the Wii U version didn't exist? In all the cases so far, it looks like there aren't many.

I'm not a charity for multi billion dollar cooperations and buy their crappy products in hope of getting some less crappy products in the future. Apart from that, I own other platforms where I can buy the non-gimped versions (and already could have for months or years with some games), so what is the incentive to buy those gimped and/or late Wii U ports for full price?

What I don't get either is this idea of the "Nintendo-only gamer" that never had the chance to play those games. If someone wanted to play those games and couldn't afford to buy a 360 or a PS3 in all the years those systems have been on the market and with how cheap they've gotten, they likely won't shell out even more money for a Wii U considering that is costs quite a bit more.

BadWolf

Meh its pretty clear the series' fans are on Playstation and a port job of an HD port that was released not too long ago on another system shouldn't be used to gauge interest.

SmokyDave

Anyone know what the first week number was for Ninja Gaiden on Vita?

I can see that it charted in 27th, but I can't find actual numbers. Just wondering how that port of a port fared.

bengraven

Welp, so much for a Western release. Especially on anything other than WiiU or PS3.

"You had your chance bitches, and you don't want Shenmue...now stop begging us for Shenmue 3".

Mithos

PS3 at the start of this generation got plenty of bad and late ports, the sales of which were good enough that publishers started treating it equally to the 360. Plenty of games are ported to the PC late, such as Dark Souls and Mortal Kombat, and they still manage to perform above expectations. Why should Wii U owners be any different? Maybe the market for these games just isn't there.

Well surely some PS3 owners did want them, so we can't blame SEGA for their console choices anymore, eh?

So its easier to sell bad games/port to PS3 or 360 owners, somehow I don't see the good in that scenario.

SmokyDave

So its easier to sell bad games/port to PS3 or 360 owners, somehow I don't see the good in that scenario.
Look at the size and breadth of the libraries for those two systems and you'll get the idea.

I'll buy any old reheated turd for the Vita if it increases the chances of seeing more support.

I'm sure the Wii U versions would have sold more if they were at parity, but at the expense of the other versions selling less. For third parties, it really boils down to: how many people will buy the Wii U version that wouldn't have bought one of the other versions it the Wii U version didn't exist? In all the cases so far, it looks like there aren't many.
There are many reasons that can be listed as to why 360 users and PS3 users might have been content to pay full price for worse versions of older games.

Primarily, I would list HD (for the beginning of the gen, to make up for missing features) and people being less likely to own multiple consoles than Nintendo owners (at least as far as Gen 7 went). I don't applaud PS3 owners for buying Skyrim, I bemoan the fact that so many PS3 owners don't own a 360 or a PC.

That's neither here nor there and I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it still boils down to what I originally said. You can claim that a person who doesn't want to pay full price for a late port with missing features isn't the right audience for that game. Or, you can claim that is an audience who either already owns the game or doesn't like to be ripped off by lazy devs.

We don't have numbers either way, but it is sad that 1) it's okay for third parties to blame a userbase for their own lack of effort and poor quality, and 2) gamers exclusive to other consoles think it is okay to blame that userbase as well, because they personally are being catered to.

crinale

I believe you are right because some gamer want to enjoy upscaled version of old classics. Hey it may attract some new audience as well, since at PS3 era they stared with Yakuza 3.

Looks like that isn't the case for WiiU owners, and IMO it makes WiiU the Nintendo-only console even farther.
I don't know if that's what Iwata wanted but oh well :)

Ponn

Banned
Hey Sega Aholes, Valkyria Chronicles 3 would sell more than that if you would localize it and just put it on psn.

KiNeSiS

Banned
SEGA I love you with all my heart like classic Nintendo. Why do you both keep making such stupid decisions?

Sega please Make another wrestling game feat virtua fighter.
Nintendo please revisit the NES classic pro wrestling.
Tecmo please make another Tecmo World Wrestling title with DOA characters.

Spike!
Technos!
Konami!
Yukes/Tomy!
Aki/Syn Sophia!
Puro games had the best engines this gen wasted the opportunity

Sega please get Aki/Syn Sophia to help you make a sequel to portable Yakuza Black Panther for PS Vita

Please one of you hear my pleas....

zruben

Banned

well, here's another problem.

if we, WiiU users, buy those outdated and shitty ports... the message we're sending to the developers is "we're dumb, port whatever PS/360 game you have lying around there and we'll buy it".

I like how you just ignored my point about all those games being available on other systems for years.
I didn't know Wind Waker HD was released a year ago on PS3. Or that it's a port of a port. Or that Yakuza had anywhere near the same brand power as Zelda. Totally comparable games ;-) You learn something new everyday.
I wasn't responding to your subsequent post, I was responding to that one. And in that one you say WiiU owners want new games. Wind Waker is not a new game, so in context of what you said, the question is fair. Taking me to task for not keeping in mind a further post you made that I freely admit overlooking is pointless, as is the snarky implication that it was on purpose. It would be more to the point to let me know rather than take me over the coals for it.

Yes, the situations are completely different for each game, but what I was addressing were posts that asserted they would do poorly on the merits of being old ports; no further argument was made as to why, and I was calling that out. It's poor reasoning. Your expanded thoughts, however, are perfectly fair.

It's a zelda game, nintendo fans will go crazy for any nintendo game at this point, it's going to sell decently at least.
I don't doubt it will appeal to Nintendo fans, I doubt its appeal to the broader market -- people who haven't picked up a WiiU yet. Selling to customers who already have your system defeats the propose of or being a system seller, i.e. a way to bring new people on board.

Yeah, it's an exclusive remake. Not an old port.
Yakuza HD is not simply an old port, AFAIK, they are remastered games. Unless you're only speaking to it being an old port on terms of it being on PS3 first, in which case it ignores what the games are or any work that went into them. It's unfairly reductionist.

Look at the size and breadth of the libraries for those two systems and you'll get the idea.

I'll buy any old reheated turd for the Vita if it increases the chances of seeing more support.
If I had money to just throw away on shitty no-effort ports for the Wii U, I still wouldn't do that. I don't think most people really believe anyone ought to have this worshipful "throw me any bone you can spare for x console because I love it so much" mentality either.

I buy games that appeal to me and, as a multiple console owner, I buy the version that most appeals to me. This is usually the version that is out first or within a reasonable time frame and has the most content. I don't wait for months to buy games I want at full price and I don't purposefully buy versions that are missing game modes or any content.

Maybe other Wii U owners are like me. Or maybe "the audience just isn't there."

Astarte

I recall someone saying to me 'I buy a Nintendo to play Nintendo games'. I wouldn't doubt people sharing that mentality, but shame about the sales.

Effect

Not surprising as with how the Wii U isnt exactly doing gangbusters domestically anyways.

Even if the Wii U was doing better this game still wouldn't have sold and it didn't deserve to. Anyone that is a Yakuza fan or is even remotely interested in games like that has a PS3 since that is where the games are. Perhaps not at first but they were driven to buying one at some point. That includes the Xbox 360 outside of Japan. That was and is Nintendo's fault for how they handle things on the Wii. No audience has been cultivated on Nintendo hardware for a game like that. Not by Nintenod or a third party. If you wanted to get the few Nintendo only hardware owners or the multi console owner that has a Wii U interested you don't do that with a year old port that includes games that released almost a decade ago that didn't even sell on the PS3 with it's significantly higher install base.. Especially when people know the 5th entry already exist.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Before this snowball really gets rolling, Yakuza 1&2 HD is not some "shitty port" as far as I'm aware. Also while Yakuza 1 is pretty rough around the edges, Yakuza 2 is one of the finest games Sega has ever produced. Now in HD. With Off TV Play™ and GamePad™ exclusive features!!

Bruno MB

PS3 port confirmed?

Yakuza-1and2-HD_Playstation3_cover.jpg

Top Bottom