• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

rvy

Banned
Oh fucking please. I've played enough FPSes, WRPGs, and so on (and Japanese games, for that matter) to know this is a bunch of bullshit. You can't even apply that logic to the rest of the final boss fights in Yakuza 4 or the rest of the series I've played. It was a very unusual final fight to say the least.

Which is the point? Yakuza games don't have ridiculously cheap final boss battles. And this sure as hell was "typical Japanese game final boss battle" to me. Breeze through the entire game only to have the final boss battle fuck you in the ass. Which I'll admit was partly my fault because Tanimura didn't have enough booze to regain health, but having 20 SWAT guys chase you around a small arena, with a long-ranged asshole shooting you in the back is bad game design. I'm almost sure that when the knife SWAT guys got to me, I got hit 4 times before I hit the ground, after the animation was already triggered. There's no way to avoid that. It's frustrating to say the least

Sorry i STILL don't see the overusage of this plot device.

Cool beans. I do. And you already posted why in the spoiler.

In any case, loved the game. Yakuza 5 should totally be about Kiryu becoming the head of Tojo and having a son with Kaoru Sayama. Indeed. Dead Souls looks like a waste of money, they should localize Kenzan! instead.

cool beans ? lol

I beat this fight on normal without booze ( on any character ) Tanimura fight is easy because you can side step when you heard "click" or at regular intervals.. it's easy ..there is nothing cheap about it i went at the finale with full inventory and i won with full inventory.. i'll say this clearly the only cheap fights in the game are amon brothers ..

but hey i guess cheapness can exist when the player lack "skills"... the gun is a combo breaker that can be avoided talk about "cheap" design.

And you already posted why in the spoiler.
So people dying is a plot device now.. i guess isn't that a given given the context of the game ?

I had absolutely nothing on Tanimura for the final boss fight (no weapons, health items, anything) and I managed to beat him. Albeit in a rather boring way by doing throws over and over on the SWAT (he is invincible status or super armor status during the entire motion). After playing Yakuza 1 it made that fight look even lazier though (it is ripped pretty much directly from a fight near the end of that game).

Mikhal

I had absolutely nothing on Tanimura for the final boss fight (no weapons, health items, anything) and I managed to beat him. Albeit in a rather boring way by doing throws over and over on the SWAT (he is invincible status or super armor status during the entire motion). After playing Yakuza 1 it made that fight look even lazier though (it is ripped pretty much directly from a fight near the end of that game).

That's what I did also!

Yeah, I lack skill. Sorry.
i don't want to be rude but that's the only explanation. Yakuza games gives you a lot of tools to just break it and be uber powerfull. You are allowed to use them because the game use them against you.
as i said Amon or the Late coliseum fights are Way more cheap and hard ...a sidestep counter master , that you can't grab or do more that 2 hits ( otherwise counter ) that heat charge on you every 15 second is cheap.. Especially when bombs are falling from the sky ..
That other fight is easy if you just pay attention or abuse any of the broken motions of the character.

Are you talking about the counter ( L1 ) ? because i was under the impression that you couldn't grab him ( Circle ) unless the grab is upgraded of course ...
I have to admit that i didn't play Y1 ( started at 2 ) because the US dub just killed my ears ...

hatmoza

It took me until the second playthrough to realize that Tanimura has a unique approach. You simply can't go balls out like the other three players ... as Saejima would put it. The final battle really isn't that difficult if you understand the strengths of each player.

Are you talking about the counter ( L1 ) ? because i was under the impression that you couldn't grab him ( Circle ) unless the grab is upgraded of course ...
I have to admit that i didn't play Y1 ( started at 2 ) because the US dub just killed my ears ...

You are able to grab then throw all of the SWAT guys (maybe not the Captain? I can't remember) and definitely the last boss himself. During the grab animation you are completely invincible for the most part. Once you grab then throw, everyone who touches the thrown body gets knocked over as well so you can do lots of HEAT finishes too. Once I got the enemies down to just the captain and the last boss I just did grab then triangle to safely knockdown the captain over and over until he was dead. Then the last boss alone is obviously a pushover.

In Yakuza 1 there is essentially the exact same boss (in the exact same spot if I recall) except there are only like 3-5 SWAT instead of like 20.

You are able to grab then throw all of the SWAT guys (maybe not the Captain? I can't remember) and definitely the last boss himself. During the grab animation you are completely invincible for the most part. Once you grab then throw, everyone who touches the thrown body gets knocked over as well so you can do lots of HEAT finishes too. Once I got the enemies down to just the captain and the last boss I just did grab then triangle to safely knockdown the captain over and over until he was dead. Then the last boss alone is obviously a pushover.

In Yakuza 1 there is essentially the exact same boss (in the exact same spot if I recall) except there are only like 3-5 SWAT instead of like 20.

i didn't manage to grab + throw the swat captain . Head of police with the gun , yes but not the big guy . I see that you do Circle + triangle ... is that because Circle , square , triangle is too slow ? or is it because it doesn't do what you intend ?

i didn't manage to grab + throw the swat captain . Head of police with the gun , yes but not the big guy . I see that you do Circle + triangle ... is that because Circle , square , triangle is too slow ? or is it because it doesn't do what you intend ?

Yeah but you can grab>throw the none-captain SWAT members and after you beat all of them, the Captain-SWAT guy + Last Boss is fairly trivial to deal with. I don't know if I tried Circle>Square>Triangle, I just did Circle>Triangle to quickly get him to the ground + damage him. I wasn't really trying to maximize damage or anything - I just wanted the fight to end because it is kind of bad. Yakuza fighting is honestly probably at it's best when it is a one-on-one boss.

The fight in Yakuza 1 was a neat little gimmick fight, reusing the fight and adding like 20 more swat members (some with knives that cause a knockdown instantly) is a pretty lazy and lame last boss. It probably should have been the first fight in the lineup or something just so that the game at least ended on a high note.

DeVeAn

Dropping in for my 2 cents. Finally got around to playing this. Been a fan since Day 1 and Love Kiryu Kazuma. I have spent 103 hours with this game and still need some of the trophies. Man what a fantastic game. Reminds me why I was so into games as a kid. The developers soul come through in the game and it shows.

Probably my game of the year for 2011. Every damn moment was pure enjoyment all 103 hours. Not one second did I feel like ugh this part again? Don't let this game pass by its a fucken GEM!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wrapped this up earlier. Pretty pleased overall. I still prefer 2 the most, but this is my second favorite in the series now. Some random thoughts on what I liked:

• Combat was better than it's ever been. Having four guys with their own fighting styles made a pretty big difference. Also, heat moves were just so brutal / cartoony, more so than ever before.
  • All four characters were extremely likable. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Saejima or Tanimaru initially, but I ended up loving them.
  • Mostly fun substories. I did feel like a bit of an errand boy at times, but it wasn't enough to make me stop and just progress with the main story.
  • Dine-and-dash master cracked me up. And what was with that animation of his? Where he leans forward, shuffles his shoulders, and wiggles his fingers? Please tell me I'm the only one who found that hysterical, heh.
  • The rain effect looked great. Y4 isn't really a looker, yeah, but Kamurocho looked nice all soaked. Too bad they didn't use it more often.
  • Saejima's ending made me smile. Guy was a boss, indeed.

That being said, some minor issues:

• It's pretty much just Kamarocho again. No Osaka, the prison didn't let you explore much, you only briefly visited the orphanage in Okinawa with nothing to do there. I realize Kamarocho is a big part of the series, but the world felt smaller this time around. More locales for Y5, plz Nagoshi.
  • Difficulty was largely too easy. I felt when you first got to play as the last three characters, things were kinda balanced out, as you don't have a ton of health or moves. After a few easily-gained levels though, you just become a powerhouse capable of completely breaking people in half. The finale was pretty easy, surprisingly. The only time I struggled was up against the Amon fights. Admittedly, these did kick my ass and it took me a few times to figure things out, but this was all optional. I felt like there could have been a better balance in difficulty here.
  • Rubber bullets?
    What the Christ.
    iglkF0XN2316o.gif

Anyway, again, I'm definitely pleased with Yakuza 4. I was a huge fan of the first two, second especially, but slacked on the PS3 Yakuzas for whatever reason. I'm pretty disappointed with myself over not at least picking this one up last year. Not only because it's a fantastic game, but also because I wish I had voted for it during GAF's GOTY stuff. Would have made my top three, easily. Oh well.

But yeah, seriously? The dine-and-dash master? I love that guy.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I didn't think anyone would even reply lawl. But I'm glad!

Yeah, rain-soaked Kamurocho (why do I keep misspelling this) was just awesome, I should have kept a save too. I'm really excited to see 5. Supposedly there will be multiple cities next time, including Sapporo. Kiryu-chan stomping assholes out in the snow? Gimme dat.

I agree ..

Rain was great ...
And i liked the change of gameplay within kamurocho during the story ( saejima forced to avoid the cops ) even if it become repetitive quite fast.

As for teh overall difficulty , that's also because :
1- already beat most of the powerfull guys before. ( joke)
2- you get new characters They mostly want you to experiment with those and they didn't put anything treatning as a result .. Even the guns challenges ( something usually annnoying ) didn't pose much of a challenge this time .. But despite all of this , the game feel great and you feel like a badass so i don't care much /

Endo Punk

First Yakuza game and Im in love with the soundtrack. So good! The tunes/songs are nicely varied and entertaining and this game is pretty much the best example of a 3D brawler, feels very 90s like God Hand being an homage. Saejima is ma man, charging up is so satisfying, followed by Tanimura with his holds and parry. Also didn't expect to be engrossed in the story, maybe if a PS2 collection is released I'll go back and try Kiryu's story as I felt this game didn't really have much to do with him.

Yakuza 5 is going to be good especially with the major changes being implemented which from my understanding will be a first for the series.

getting through my backlog and finally gonna start this like a year after its purchase lol

only played Yakuza 3 though, but nice to hear this one is as good as Yakuza 2 which i havent played yet, maybe i should? the recap for the game looked really good

cj_iwakura

I'm at the finale, and while I want to know how this craziness ends, I kind of want to see more crazy sidestories too...and I only have like five of Kiryu's.

Pachinko.
What the hell? I have no idea what's going on.

Also, Kiryu? BEAST MODE.

cj_iwakura

Yep, I got rocked during Tanimura's final battle.

Was damn close though!

Went and did more sidequests, and item collecting.
(And, uh, dating.)

This time I'll win.

I love the progression of For Faith during the end fights,
and That Stroll leading up to it. Clear the streets, peasants!

cj_iwakura

Never posted my ending thoughts:

Was like 'wtf' at the pre-credit end.

True credit end had my heart a'flutter. Amazing stuff.

Can't WAIT for Saejima-Kiryu-Majima & Co. taking NAMES in Y5.

Has anyone done the post-game challenges? Yeesh, that 100 man beatdown is nuts.

I did all the speed ones though!

Finished up the story mode. The walk to Millennium tower could be the most badass moment I've come across in a game. Surprisingly the end fights were rather easy including Tanimura's. I had more trouble with that annoying prison guard and his stupid baton.

Playing this game again. Or rather, starting it again. First time I started it I made it four hours in and stopped.

And after playing for four hours today, I remembered why I stopped. The mandatory Host bar sequence in the game I fucking hate. Fine to have it in the game as an option, but to make it mandatory, man, I really wish there was a way to skip it. It's fucking creepy and boring.

Tizoc

Playing this game again. Or rather, starting it again. First time I started it I made it four hours in and stopped.

And after playing for four hours today, I remembered why I stopped. The mandatory Host bar sequence in the game I fucking hate. Fine to have it in the game as an option, but to make it mandatory, man, I really wish there was a way to skip it. It's fucking creepy and boring.

IIRC, there's only 1 segment of forced Hostess Club, after that it doesn't show up again.
Even if it did, I just eneded doing horribly in it but managed to continue playing the game without being penlized for it =P

Just keep playing for the manliness, bro-ness and for the outright bizarre lifestyle of the Japanese.
Also Curryman!

Evilisk

Hey YakuzaGAF. I've had Yakuza 4 for ages at this point, but I only finally got around to doing a proper Extra Hard run (as in, I started a new game on Extra Hard, as opposed to doing it on NG+). I'd have done it sooner, but my dumb PS3 kept breaking on me. All I've got left off is the last four Boss Fights, which I've been putting off until I fight Amon/finish all of the substories and I complete their movesets (as in, I do that IF7R thing as well). Warning: long post coming up!)

Some impressions of the game based on my original runthrough
-->While I haven't played on Easy or Normal (my very first playthrough was on Hard all the way :D) I really love the battle system. It feels really satisfying and you can't just rush into fights with guns blazing or you'll just get blown up. The only problem I have is Heat moves being on the same button as the kick button (I'll get Heat moves when I'm trying to juggle enemies for extra damage or when I'm saving it up).
-->The story was pretty good. I don't really know how it stacks up to the rest of the series since it was my first Yakuza game ever (though I'd tried the Yakuza 3 demo before).
-->Tanimura was easily the most surprising character. I thought I'd hate him because of what I'd read on the Install screen but he ended up being my favourite character. It doesn't hurt that they had other nationalities in his part of the story (it's nice to see the Phillipines get acknowledged in a game) and I liked the change of pace with the police radio.
-->The substories are really great but the way some of them get activated got annoying especially with this being my second playthrough. I loved the minigames too (except for the Ping Pong, that was incredibly dumb).
-->The bossfights were pretty great, Tanimura vs. the SWAT team on Hard was easily the most fun to play (though I'm sure that my opinion of that fight is going to change when I get around to finishing it on Extra Hard lol). Poor Saejima though, he's got some of the most frustrating fights in the game.

Here a few more impressions, specifically from my Extra Hard playthrough.
--->Akiyama has to be the best character in the game by far, especially for Extra Hard. His moveset is just really good (that range, that speed, that damage, that comboability, also you can catapult tons of weapons at opponents because his whole moveset are kicks) and he's pretty simple to play as (unlike Saejima or Kiryu, you can just abuse heats recklessly). I breezed through his section with no problems at all.
--->Saejima is still really tough. Triple Charging Finish is totally vilified by Extra Hard, it would have been impossible to beat Kiryu and the prison level without it. Even with TCF, you still have to play really smart with him but he feels the most satisfying to win fights with because of that.
--->Tanimura is a lot worse than what I played of him on Hard. He's still got the parries but the increased attack rate of enemies + increased damage + low health and slow attack speed make him pretty terrible for Extra Hard. He's not too bad and he's still got the second best combo-ability but man, I did not breeze through his section like I did on Hard difficulty. My reliance on Parries and Grabs for most group fights make him way more of a one trick pony than Saejima.
--->Kiryu is good but man he takes a lot of mastering to play because since he doesn't have any one overly strong trait or move like the others. I definitely don't like that despite all of the cool heats, you'll learn that you can't just freely use them (because the Balance is too good of an advantage to pass up on). He also has way too many heats that it's too common for me to get the wrong one used. Still, that smoking heat is sweet.

Also I hated Saito the Prison Guard before (because you have to fight him with underlevelled Kiryu and Saejima) but Extra Hard really ramped up by hatred of the guy. lol. I'll probably post some more, proper impressions after I finally finish the game properly but yeah that's all I have about now.

How many missable sub-events that I can't complete after a certain point are there in this?

Not sure on a specific number but AFAIK it seems to only be Akiyama's substories that require Hana that have this. I seemed to be able to complete most other substories in each individual section.

addyb

Never ever played a Yakuza game before so just decided to grab this from the US store. For $19.99 so cost me £13. Looking forward to trying it out. 22GB download though. Glad I'm on fibre lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Never ever played a Yakuza game before so just decided to grab this from the US store. For $19.99 so cost me £13. Looking forward to trying it out. 22GB download though. Glad I'm on fibre lol.
I recommend watching the recap videos that come with the game.

It's too bad that 3 isn't on the store for whatever reason, but that's how it goes.

addyb

Finally got this started last night and finished 2 chapters.

So far so good. Loving the story and the cut scenes look great. The combat is pretty good and I've enjoyed the substories and side activities so far.

Controls feel a tad clunky and at times I have to keep pausing to check the map as I'm not sure where everything is. I guess being a noob this is normal anyway. I would like to be able to set waypoints though.

Received cards from 2 girls in a hostess bar. Guess ill ask for one next time I'm back. See if anything happens. I've just met some army nut as well who wants to train me. Had a game of bowling and also won a teddy in the arcade lol.

Quick question time.

I notice the store has lots of items for sale. Do these all serve a purpose in some way? I also opened 2 lockers and haven't properly checked the items I've received yet.

Anything I should be doing at this early stage or maybe something I've missed?

Conezays

Just started this and am a few hours in. Grabbed this off of PS+ and am very pleasantly surprised. Feel like I should've started on Hard difficulty but not the end of the world. Very cool and immersive world with enjoyable and amusing writing.

SA007

Banned
Please dont get me wrong its my personal view.
I found this game dumb and very very boooring. Cutscenes after cutscenes then X,X,X then cutscene then some fight or some small missions then again same. Left the game after playing for 2 hours.
Is this a game or a movie?

hamchan

Please dont get me wrong its my personal view.
I found this game dumb and very very boooring. Cutscenes after cutscenes then X,X,X then cutscene then some fight or some small missions then again same. Left the game after playing for 2 hours.
Is this a game or a movie?

Well yeah, i'd say the cutscenes are a large part of the game. It very much is like a 4th season of a Japanese drama. If you aren't invested in the story and characters it will be boring for sure.

Vic_Viper

Just started this today and im about 5 hours in. Is there a good guide as to what upgrades I should get first and where to find some good weapons? I went to the weapons dealer on the map and all I found was a van about to be lifted onto a roof.

Im at the part of the story with Lily at the Elise club if that helps.

Just started this today and im about 5 hours in. Is there a good guide as to what upgrades I should get first and where to find some good weapons? I went to the weapons dealer on the map and all I found was a van about to be lifted onto a roof.

Im at the part of the story with Lily at the Elise club if that helps.
In regards to upgrades, I'd recommend picking up ones that enhance your offensive capabilities then going for defense. Particularly for Akiyama as he's a very mobile character. Though there are 4 different playable protagonists and they each have their unique style so it's ultimately up to you how you want to go about it. There's a lot of freedom with the upgrade paths as compared to previous Yakuza games which had a very set in stone upgrade path.

Yeah, that weapons dealer was in Yakuza 3 but his truck is being lifted onto the roof. Did you know you can access rooftops!! I believe there's a substory or main mission that has you fight somebody right next to it and that unlocks the weapons dealer.

Akiyama's chapter is mainly an introduction to the series so don't be worried if you don't get to access everything or find everything with him because you'll eventually be able to switch between characters at will.

If you still find yourself needing a guide, there's one on IGN and there are also good guides on GameFAQs.com

EDIT: Btw, feel free to pop in to the Yakuza community thread with any questions you might have since the OTs have been mainly inactive for these games because they've been out for so long.

You'll get him. If he's in RED heat mode, run lol. I don't think you can knock him down or stun him in RED heat mode.

Got it right after I posted lol

The counter block makes it a lot easier. It's so easy to miss hits though in this game with how fast he is and how slow you are which is frustrating.

Edit: How do you get sparkling items that are out of your reach? Like I can see some stuff under a bridge or in a spot that isn't accessible on foot so I can't get close enough to pick it up.

Got it right after I posted lol

The counter block makes it a lot easier. It's so easy to miss hits though in this game with how fast he is and how slow you are which is frustrating.

Edit: How do you get sparkling items that are out of your reach? Like I can see some stuff under a bridge or in a spot that isn't accessible on foot so I can't get close enough to pick it up.

First person view. It's either L3 or R3.

Top Bottom