• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Trowzer pullin a DJ Khaled
wg5P7W2.jpg

zNXvBiNNcrjDW.gif

Nvm, apparently the solution was to bitch on GAF ;p Took who knows how many tries but it's finally downloading via the website. So if any of you encounter an issue doing so, keep trying. Now to get through a day of work.... Soon Yooka Laylee, soon!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Played three hours so far and just finished expanding the first area. Seems pretty big already but loving the game so far. Loads of charm.

Big Nikus

Coincident with tomorrow's store update.

Edit: Which is in 27 hours.

What ??
Well fuck, I've got too much work tomorrow and the new Overwatch event starts so I'll be playing with friends. I had some time to play today -___-
Infinite sadness.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sucks there isn't anything for Pro users. It'll be tough going back to upscale 1080p30 after binging Kingdom Hearts in 4k60.

Saladinoo

Entered my code (UK) into the redemption on the playstation store WEBSITE. It is unlocked but i'm not able to put it in my download queue. Is anyone else form the UK able to download?

Edit: It's come up! I'll give it a try tonight.

Lynd7

Just played a bit of the first world, game seems fun so far. No frame rate issues at all really. (Stock PS4)

First Rextro game wasn't that bad either, you start to get the feel by the end of your first go. I almost beat his record on my second try. Not sure why reviews were ragging on it a bit? Unless there are more levels for that game later or something.

kdoll08

Wow. I'm really disappointed that consoles aren't at 60FPS. I would have just gotten PC instead if I thought that this would be an issue.

This for me. I had no idea that it would be 30fps vs 60 fps and that Playtonic only worked on the PC while Team 17 did the ports. I emailed the backerkit email about changing to a steam code instead. I'll update when I hear back.

udivision

Wow. I'm really disappointed that consoles aren't at 60FPS. I would have just gotten PC instead if I thought that this would be an issue.

This for me. I had no idea that it would be 30fps vs 60 fps and that Playtonic only worked on the PC while Team 17 did the ports. I emailed the backerkit email about changing to a steam code instead. I'll update when I hear back.

Wasn't the conclusion of that whole Jim and Laura fiasco that the console performance was a lot worse than the PC one?

KingBroly

Banned

I'm going to chalk it up to Unity not being great or a very short development time, which led to a lack of optimization.

I'm playing the toybox demo right now. Man, this is so amazing. The music, the style, the sound effects, the controls. Everything is awesome.

edit: Okay, not everything is amazing. The rolling controls are terrible.

BigEmil

Do you think Sony would say to Playtonic "either you have pro support for your game made in a engine that doesn't support the pro or you don't release the game"?

It's probably an exception. If Unity updates the engine with Pro support can they update the Unity version the game is running in? Honest question, I don't know if that can be easily done.

Is my sentence that complex?
Unity doesn't support PS4 Pro's extra hardware.
Unity engine does support PS4 Pro.

Firewatch (game made in Unity engine) got a Pro patch like other Unity games too like Forma.8, Mother Russia Bleeds etc ....

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251

Don't spread false misinformation.

So unity is limited to 1080p? or 30fps?
Nope it's not limited it does have Pro hardware support

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Still, a dick joke in a childrens' game? Really?

Who does it hurt? It's not like he'd called Dick the Snake (well, I think this would still be OK, seeing as Dick is an actual name) ;)). Also, I have a feeling this game is not exactly targeted at kids. In fact, for players who have no prior experience with collectathons, it will probably be overwhelming.

I have been playing since last week's Thursday. I really enjoy my time, but you can feel/see a big drop of quality at world 3 which is a shame since world 1 and 2 are good.

Kinsei

Banned
This game just referenced Croc. They really know their audience.

I've just expanded the first world and I must say that I am loving the game so far. I've barely encountered frame drops and the controls fell really good. The only thing I don;t like so far is the Rextro game in the first world. It makes the top down racing mini game in JFG look good and the time limit for the second pagie is a bit too strict.

Put around 10 hours into this, and i'm loving it so far. The camera can be a real pain at times, and the mini games suck, but the regular gameplay is so much fun. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Was hoping I could've preloaded this on Steam last night (really really slow internet at times), but no such luck.

Still pretty psyched. Reviews be damned, this looks to be exactly what I wanted and what I backed it for.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played through the first world on PS4 Pro and I am enjoying it. Really does elicit memories of the Kazooie, including the bullshit related to time trial stuff.

Camera hasn't been so bad, though the first world is expansive enough without many environmental hangups, so its hard to gauge yet. It does get hung up on anything in its way though, but again no big deal in the first couple hours.

The first race is a bit of a pain as you are required to collect butterflies en route to the goal to keep your gauge maxed which requires touching them with pixel perfection. Can be demystifying when you jump at one only to narrowly miss it as they don't auto collect even if slightly off.

I also got frustrated at the high score for the first arcade game(RC Pro Am clone). Decided to come back as I am not in the mood to deal at the moment.

Otherwise, not bad so far.

Jacknapes

Had a go at the Arcade game, didn't know what i was meant to do. But ended up winning, then i beat the score.

Overall, it's not a bad game at all. I'm glad i backed this, it's great to be able to play something that brings back the memories of playing Banjo Kazooie from my childhood.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I whole-heartedly expected to not enjoy this game at all after the reviews but man, played about an hours worth and love it so far.

My main gripe is the controls of the roll move. For what they ask of you to use that for, it's too slippery. Needs a tweak, but I doubt it'll get one. My guess is they want it to feel unwieldy to up the challenge. Lame. Hopefully I can get used to it.

muteki

Huh, PSN accepted my code but I don't appear to be able to download yet.

Might need to try the console at home or wait for the store update I guess.

maxcriden

I was pretty stoked about this during the Kickstarter, but after reading the reviews and seeing videos... nope. Too much nostalgia, too little good game.

If you were stoked before, why not wait to see what GAF impressions are? The consensus here is often different than from reviewers and perhaps you'd still find a lot to like in the game.

Top Bottom