• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

nkarafo

I didn't know about this so this was very good news to hear. I was expected a bit of a mess on PS4, considering what GameXplain's review said about the Xbone. 60fps would have been ideal but a stable 30fps will do just fine. Banjo Kazooie played mostly fine at 20fps on N64 so I doubt it'll present a problem.
Banjo Kazooie was 30fps, not 20. With some drops here and there.

Peff

I bet I know where the quill in Tribalstack Tropics is.

Go across the bridge just past Shovel Knight and head around the side of the mountain.

Woah. I actually fell and ended up pretty close to it while getting the Pagie but didn't think to turn left.

EDIT: Yay, Tribalstack Tropics 100%.

bridegur

Played this for about two hours so far on PS4 and it's exactly what I was hoping for. Feels, looks, and sounds a lot like a BK successor. Haven't noticed any frame rate issues yet, either.

giphy.gif

wouwie

Just watched a bit of gameplay and i think i would enjoy this game quite a bit. However, the dialogue and some of the sound effects are already annoying me and i think it would ruin my game experience at some point very early into the game. So i might skip this one, which is a shame. I'm actually wondering if i'm the only one who seems to have issues with the dialogue and sound effects?

Just watched a bit of gameplay and i think i would enjoy this game quite a bit. However, the dialogue and some of the sound effects are already annoying me and i think it would ruin my game experience at some point very early into the game. So i might skip this one, which is a shame. I'm actually wondering if i'm the only one who seems to have issues with the dialogue and sound effects?

A lot of people seem to take issue with all that, but us Banjo superfans are pretty well used to constant mumbling and weird noises, so I think we'll make it lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPeuuCbc55c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUSFTbPooPI&t=318s

Peff

Aaand looks like the ol' "complain about it on GAF" method saves the day again. Noice. Now that I've played a fair share of all the worlds I'm pretty happy with the final product. It may not best Kazooie all things considered, but it more than delivered on the promise of the Kickstarter in basically every way. Hopefully it's successful enough that Playtonic can develop another project, whatever it may be.

ramparter

Banned
Finally played it for like an hour. Very satsfied so far gameplay wise. Camera has its moments but general very smooth experience and player movement. Graphics are beyter that I expected. Still have to get used to hold trigger to roll. The intro was disappointing.
Also really like the first wprld design so far. Big and tight at the same time.

PS: There are definetely frame drops on One, minor so far.

hydruxo

Well I'd wager that most people who loved BK and BT enjoy the silly mumbling voices & cheeky British humor in the dialogue. That said, somebody who isn't familiar with those games might find it all a bit off. Personally I love it, but I grew up playing Rare's games so I'm used to it. If it's bothering you that much just by watching the gameplay then you might want to skip it.

What is the countdown for? Official release in Europe?

I can't even preload it on Steam yet. Pathetic.

Yes, It just unlocked in Germany.

After 30 minutes I can already say this is a Rare game.This is the highest praise because I'm a huge Rare (of the 90s) fan. It looks beautiful, the controls are great and the soundtrack is already amazing. I'm still in the tutorial though and just discovered the first world.

It feels great.

My only gripe is the camera. Bloody things got a mind of its own sometimes.

Loving all the jokes and conversations though, really is a true sequel to Banjo-Kazooie.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm itching for some of dat N64 era platforming, but hmm, buy now for PS4 or wait to see how the Switch version ends up? Would be nice to have more than one game for that thing...

I'm itching for some of dat N64 era platforming, but hmm, buy now for PS4 or wait to see how the Switch version ends up? Would be nice to have more than one game for that thing...

Buy it on Ps4, enjoy it and play it again on the Switch. That's what I'm doing. This genre needs to be revived. Playtonic gets all of my money.

Samus4145

Finally played it for like an hour. Very satsfied so far gameplay wise. Camera has its moments but general very smooth experience and player movement. Graphics are beyter that I expected. Still have to get used to hold trigger to roll. The intro was disappointing.
Also really like the first wprld design so far. Big and tight at the same time.

PS: There are definetely frame drops on One, minor so far.

Pretty sure there is the option to use a toggle, or matter that was just for crouch.

Really dislike it. A Banjo Kazooie sequel for all of the wrong reasons. Camera is the worst I've used on a current gen platform, level design is indistinct and generic, collecting pagies lacks the sense of reward that jiggies offered. Levels are huge and sprawling, but lack an appropriate introduction, map, or other features that would prevent it from being disorientating.

Multiplayer mini-games are horrendous, why did they bother. The kart racing game is worse than the isometric kart racing games in Mario Party titles. How did they manage this? Awful controls, terrible feedback, and at times straight up glitchy. Just awful, yet these are tied to the players progression through pagies.

Enemy variety is at a premium too, why? The game is hardly packed with levels of content so to see the same handful of enemies dotted around the entire game is incredibly dissapointing. Combat makes matters worse, typically lacking any sense of timing or strategy required to make it satisfying.

Overall level design is perhaps the games worst componnet. Platforming segments are mostly trivial, only lended difficulty by the games abyssmal camera, other components feel janky and just generally awkward. Some portions of the game feel out of place, without purpose, others allow you to progress for long periods of time up until you hti a dead end, yet this isn't identified because it's due to be expanded via pagies.

My fiance was so hyped for this, but she really dislikes it. I hate it. Banjo Kazooie was a pioneering game, a technical and mechanical innovation, boasting vivid, incredible environments, an absolute joy to explore, this is nothing by comparison, a disappointing immitation that missunderstood it's inspirations appeal.

By the way, more power to you if you like it. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just don't like it.

Vinc

Well one key difference is they spent 20+ hours with it, and not just 10 minutes :p

You're certainly not wrong! I'm just joking, but I really love the look and feel of the game already. As someone who loves that type of game, there's nothing that immediately jumps to mind as a gigantic flaw, so I really doubt I'll end up agreeing with them.

Yukinari

Im probably not the only one but i vastly prefer David and Steve's compositions over Grant's in this game. Which sucks cause theyre exclusively for minigames that nobody cares about.

-shadow-

So its the eleventh where I'm at and in a minute or so also in the UK. Why do i still need to wait another 22 hours before I can download and play this on GOG?

Im probably not the only one but i vastly prefer David and Steve's compositions over Grant's in this game. Which sucks cause theyre exclusively for minigames that nobody cares about.

It's weird. The level music has all the sound of a Banjo game, but none of the catchiness.

Camjo-Z

OK, it's 7 PM EST so it's time for that PS4 code giveaway! Here are the answers:

1. As any Rare fan knows, Chunky Kong from DK64 is one HELL of a guy!

2. Washer Banjo is only playable in B-K by beating Bottles’ final puzzle challenge and inputting the code “WISHYWASHYBANJO” in the sandcastle. It’s basically just a reskin for Banjo, but it’s fun!

3. Grunty’s Revenge is the only Banjo game to not feature a S’n’S reference. Even Banjo-Pilot has one!

4. Rash’s retro costume in Killer Instinct includes some choice Rare accessories - a Conker hoodie, a L.O.G. backpack, a Jiggy tattoo, and… Banjo’s shorts!

5. Berri (with her design from the canceled Conker: Twelve Tales) appears in the N64 version of Banjo-Kazooie in Rusty Bucket Bay. In Banjo-Tooie, Vela can be seen on a poster in Bottles’ House, Sabreman is found in Hailfire Peaks, and Mr. Pants' glorious curves can be spotted on Boggy’s TV. That leaves Jago as the odd monk out!

Surprisingly, only 12 entrants with 10 of them being 100% correct. It’s amazing how much better the chances of winning get when the giveaway is only advertised to people who bother to read the OT!

And the winner, chosen randomly, is…

Harmen! Get ready to check those PMs, pal!

Seik

Banned
Waiting for Switch version, very, VERY tempted to get this on PC...I'm listening to this fucking theme with the hardest musical boner since a good while.

Anyone with a GTX 1060 3Gb tried it here? Wondering if I could run it @4K.

This is damn great. Guys, if you love Banjo Kazooie or if you love the old Rare games you have to play this. This is pretty much Banjo Threeie.

So many secrets to find. The world doesn't feel empty at all.

Game is 40 hours long? Geez. Banjo-Kazooie could be completed in like 6-7 hours.

My recent Project 64 playthrough:

VlROeAy.png

The last time I played through Banjo-Tooie on XBLA last year, it took about 14 hours, I think.

DJKhaled

I'm totally stuck on the first world, there's nothing to guide at all. I have played Tooie And Kazooie at least once or twice a year since they released and they all at least had some sort of direction for the levels, but this first level I don't know where to go or what to do. I got 4 pagies and it said something about expanding the level but I don't know where to go, I can't beat that cloud thing in the race because I run out of stamina, it's frustrating.

Waiting for Switch version, very, VERY tempted to get this on PC...I'm listening to this fucking theme with the hardest musical boner since a good while.

Sounds a lot like Tropical Freeze (a very good thing). This will be a fantastic soundtrack. I have it downloaded from the backer kit, trying not to listen to it all before I even play...

Top Bottom