• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

I'm totally stuck on the first world, there's nothing to guide at all. I have played Tooie And Kazooie at least once or twice a year since they released and they all at least had some sort of direction for the levels, but this first level I don't know where to go or what to do. I got 4 pagies and it said something about expanding the level but I don't know where to go, I can't beat that cloud thing in the race because I run out of stamina, it's frustrating.

You missed a clue.
You have to go back to the entrance of the level (hub world) to expand it.
The game tells you most of the important things. I don't think it's more frustrating than Banjo Kazooie so far.

-GJ-

Is there footage of the retro graphic mode out there yet? I've been wanting to see what it looks like ever since they announced it, but I can't find anything. Not even a screenshot.

Ozium

Yikes, the
Rampo boss battle
in the first world is really poorly designed. That was not fun.

I watched this on the giant bomb quick look and they were struggling for 25 or so minutes

until they did it correctly and it took them 25 seconds

hmm

Harmen

OK, it's 7 PM EST so it's time for that PS4 code giveaway! Here are the answers:

Surprisingly, only 12 entrants with 10 of them being 100% correct. It’s amazing how much better the chances of winning get when the giveaway is only advertised to people who bother to read the OT!

And the winner, chosen randomly, is…

Harmen! Get ready to check those PMs, pal!

Wow, awesome! Thank you very much!!! Looking forward to the nostalgia trip, the Banjo games are probably the games I put in the most hours in my childhood.

I redeemed the code and tomorrow I will check the game out for sure. I have some deadlines this week, but I should be able to join the discussion here fairly soon :D

Majora

Oh dear, I can't even play the game. Game crashes every single time on the third loading screen after selecting a save file. The tip about refilling the power bar. The animated background and loading icon starts getting jerky and then stops animating altogether.

Playing on standard PS4. Tried rebooting system. Quit and reloaded the game about 5 times. No luck. Exact same thing every single time :(

Poona

I'm actually wondering if i'm the only one who seems to have issues with the dialogue and sound effects?

It's how they talk in the Banjo games so they continued it here.

Anyway if the jibberish is such an annoyance you can somewhat skip it.

Kinsei

Banned
The area that gets added when you expand the second world is fantastic. The gimmick is cool, there is a nice mix of both puzzles and platforming, and the Rextro game is actually decent. My only complaint is that the boss drags on way too long.

Oh dear, I can't even play the game. Game crashes every single time on the third loading screen after selecting a save file. The tip about refilling the power bar. The animated background and loading icon starts getting jerky and then stops animating altogether.

Playing on standard PS4. Tried rebooting system. Quit and reloaded the game about 5 times. No luck. Exact same thing every single time :(

I thought my game crashed at first but it didn't. Just wait. I don't know what happens there but the game will definitely load.

I think ill wait for a sale on this. The reviews are a little off putting.

Please don't listen to reviews if you love the old Rare games. This game is exactly like Banjo Kazooie. And don#t forget it's made by Ex-Rare developers.

Kinsei

Banned

The game didn't crash it's just that the loading screens in this game are really bad when it comes to stuttering and freezing. Even though it looks like it has stopped the game is still loading.

They make the loading screens in Tropical Freeze look buttery smooth.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder how quicker it would take to 100% this game during a second play-through.
I 100%ed Banjo Kazooie for my first time ever when Rare Replay came out. I was only really familiar withthe first couple levels. Think I was sitting around ~20 hours, no strategy guide.

Valahart

Apparently Steam release is an absolute mess.

Everyone received the information it would release worldwide on 12AM UK time. So there were multiple countdowns from thirsty PC backers envying console players and, nothing, absolutely nothing.

Game actually releases in 16 hours. And there isn't even pre-loading as it was mentioned by them.

Vash63

Does the PC version support higher framerates? Was really hoping Digital Foundry would test that but they seem to act like 60Hz is still some kind of gold standard in 2017.

Does the PC version support higher framerates? Was really hoping Digital Foundry would test that but they seem to act like 60Hz is still some kind of gold standard in 2017.
It probably is the standard, to be honest.

The vast majority of TVs and monitors are 60fps max. Sadly, I've never even SEEN a monitor in real-life that does higher than 60, as much as I'd love one. The nearest store that probably sells one is Frys Electronics and I rarely go there because it's about an hour away.

Still annoying when places don't specify that stuff for people who do have the hardware to support it.

Mistle

Very excited for this. A lot of the complaints I've heard have me thinking "what'd you expect? sounds like banjo" so I'm sure I'll like it.

Vash63

It probably is the standard, to be honest.

The vast majority of TVs and monitors are 60fps max. Sadly, I've never even SEEN a monitor in real-life that does higher than 60, as much as I'd love one. The nearest store that probably sells one is Frys Electronics and I rarely go there because it's about an hour away.

Still annoying when places don't specify that stuff for people who do have the hardware to support it.

Gold standard, not standard. Meaning a benchmark or level of superior quality to be aimed for. I'd be willing to bet more PC gamers buy >90Hz displays now than 4k or these other things DF is testing. Newegg's gaming monitor category has hundreds of HFR displays.

I think I'm in love (early days yet, I know). But the animation is gorgeous, and it has the same feel as Banjo and Rare games in general. Also, if you fast forward the speech/text, you can still read everything and it stops the character mumbles. The underwater effect looks nice too. Speaking of water, I had the biggest smile on my face when I jumped into the water and I could see each drop of the splash create its own little ripple when it hit the water. This is something I loved about Banjo, and its glorious here too. Some of the texture work on the environment could be better, but for the most part the game looks great. So happy right now.

I'm totally stuck on the first world, there's nothing to guide at all. I have played Tooie And Kazooie at least once or twice a year since they released and they all at least had some sort of direction for the levels, but this first level I don't know where to go or what to do. I got 4 pagies and it said something about expanding the level but I don't know where to go, I can't beat that cloud thing in the race because I run out of stamina, it's frustrating.

There was a video preview a while back of someone doing that race, here you go - Yooka-Laylee Video Preview

Zutrax

Loving the game so far, I'm still working through the expanded World 1 right now. It's exactly what I wanted it to be, basically a Banjo Kazooie clone through and through.

But anyone who has the game right now, where in the hell is the "secret" they inform you of from the Toybox demo? I ground smashed literally every rock I could find in the starting area next to the pirate ship. Did anyone find this?

This game is pure videogame love. It's an absolute joy to play. Just don't expect it to be easy. Like the old Rare games this game has some challenging puzzles.

Camjo-Z

Loving the game so far, I'm still working through the expanded World 1 right now. It's exactly what I wanted it to be, basically a Banjo Kazooie clone through and through.

But anyone who has the game right now, where in the hell is the "secret" they inform you of from the Toybox demo? I ground smashed literally every rock I could find in the starting area next to the pirate ship. Did anyone find this?

According to a Hivory Hub video I watched for 2 seconds before immediately closing the tab, it's in the fifth world.

It's actually very sad that the real Rare is pretty much dead and doesn't make games like this anymore. It's also sad that Nintendo didn't keep Rare because this game proves that the old Rare developers at Playtonic (left Rare after Microsoft bought them) can still make outstanding and unique games like Yooka-Laylee. This game would've got high scores 15-20 years earlier. And yet the gameplay still feels fresh because there's nothing like it anymore. This game feels like an old gem.

It's actually very sad that the real Rare is pretty much dead and doesn't make games like this anymore. It's also sad that Nintendo didn't keep Rare because this game proves that the old Rare developers at Playtonic (left Rare after Microsoft bought them) can still make outstanding and unique games like Yooka-Laylee. This game would've got high scores 15-20 years earlier. And yet the gameplay still feels fresh because there's nothing like it anymore. This game feels like an old gem.

Considering how much Nintendo's been embracing the indie scene lately, I'd really love it if they decided to work with Playtonic on future games, similar to how they worked with the guys who made Friendshapes to get Snipperclips out.

One thing the old Banjo games have over Yooka-Laylee is the fact they were basically AAA productions in their time, while YL is just a dinky little kickstarter indie project, which is why it the game seems to lack a lot of the same polish BK and BT had. Imagine Tooka-Laylee with the budget and polish of a Nintendo game. Mhmmmm....

Roubjon

I've played for around an hour and it's better than I thought it was going to be. I can see why it got the reviews it did though, as I'm already getting kinda bored. Mainly because this feels exactly like an N64 game, which isn't a bad thing.

Top Bottom