• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim PC |OT| - Re-Release of the Far West Ocean

KHlover

Banned
Just beat the final boss. Game clocked in at 11 hours (Normal catastrophe), which was a bit short when compared to Ys Origin, but I had fun all the way through. I got every piece of equipment, all tabulas and tempered all my swords to the max level, so I think it was a quite complete playthrough.

Some stray observations:

90% into the game and well after I actually needed it the Dash Jump finally klicked.

The magic is way, WAY overpowered, especially the Thunder magic.

Related to that - the balancing of the bosses is a bit iffy. Like in Ys Origin the game harshly reminds you when your level is too low or your sword hasn't been upgraded often enough by making you eat shit when you encounter a boss. So far so good. Unlike in Ys Origin, where levelling up and upgrading your weapon after you discovered this merely enabled you to fight the boss on equal grounds, I destroyed the bosses after doing this. Literally getting 1 or 2 level ups and tempering my swords one time after being destroyed by a boss would turn the tables to the point where one magic attack takes like half the HP of that boss.

Ernst
and Geis were the best boss fights in the game.

The Ark
and the boss of
The Limewater Cave
were the worst boss fights in the game.
The Ark
was the easiest final boss I've ever faced, that was straight up disappointing.
Limewater Cave boss
just spammed so many attacks at once that I had trouble figuring out where Adol was on the screen at times. Also not very fun.

I'll probably never know what caused the constant sound bugs for me.

Beating
Majuunun
in Boss Rush doesn't count? Aww. How do I find him in my normal save?

Overall 8/10 or so, you really notice that this game was the first one with that engine. Excited to play Oath in Felghana next and see how it improves on Ark of Napishtim.

KHlover

Banned
Ruins of lost time.

The 4 pillars section where you ahve to jump in the middle to get the chest. Be sure to equip the rainbow fragment item

Requires two dash jumps to even attempt to face him f that

Going by your descriptions I face him in the room where I obtained the Black Tabula? Knew it seemed similar when I defeated him in Time Battle.

Btw BassForever, Aeana's method from Page 2 works really well. None of that "tilt, then press attack and then jump really fast" shit. Just tilt, let the stick snap back and then press Attack+Jump at the same time. Works ~90% of the time for me.

Going by your descriptions I face him in the room where I obtained the Black Tabula? Knew it seemed similar when I defeated him in Time Battle.

Btw BassForever, Aeana's method from Page 2 works really well. None of that "tilt, then press attack and then jump really fast" shit. Just tilt, let the stick snap back and then press Attack+Jump at the same time. Works ~90% of the time for me.

I can dash jump all over the game until anytime I actually need it to work where Adol will do a little dick jump and fall. Never again am I doing dash jumping legit f that it's a horrible mechanic.

Psxphile

Going by your descriptions I face him in the room where I obtained the Black Tabula?

That's a different room, where you're required to charge up Ericcil to make it across the platforms. Majunuun is located in a room just north of the pillar you land on when you fall between the 4 columns above. The rainbow stone will reveal a hidden platform, you have to dash jump to it. You can actually obtain a unique item in that room without having to fight Majunuun but it's tricky to get to. The item is also pretty useless once your swords are at max level.

KHlover

Banned
I can dash jump all over the game until anytime I actually need it to work where Adol will do a little dick jump and fall. Never again am I doing dash jumping legit f that it's a horrible mechanic.

You know what...thinking back that actually is true for me as well. So I just now started the game to record macros for the Dash Jump with my Keyboard...fuck. I should have done it earlier. Using the Keyboard for Dash Jumping, that is. Like...I didn't fuck it up ONCE using the keyboard. It's a world of difference. It just WORKS.

GOD DAMMIT, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF DOING THAT EARLIER >.<

Swordukened the first boss with the power of JDK giving me strength.

I see this has that "wimpy children have less trouble with packs of monsters than you do" trope in full effect! lol

Nice portraiture; going to tackle the tunnel next.

One thing that I've found helps a lot with trash mobs in this game is the downthrust move. It's always been useful in the Napishtim-engine Ys games, but it's especially useful and downright necessary in Napishtim itself. A lot of enemies are pretty much untouchable without it, and almost every enemy is like 100x easier with it.

-Tom

Pretty much. Adol has a more generous hitbox and active frames on that than Chun does in 3S.

I may be stuck here. Should have used a second savefile :(

Always two saves.

Always.

You know what...thinking back that actually is true for me as well. So I just now started the game to record macros for the Dash Jump with my Keyboard...fuck. I should have done it earlier. Using the Keyboard for Dash Jumping, that is. Like...I didn't fuck it up ONCE using the keyboard. It's a world of difference. It just WORKS.

GOD DAMMIT, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF DOING THAT EARLIER >.<

I've had "OK" luck on the 360 pad; mainly due to diagonals being :lol, but plinking the tap->X+A works ok in cardinal directions.

So I am stuck at
the entrance to Cave Lake
. I got the cutscene with Geis, I defeated the mini-slime boss, and I STILL can't go through the lake. Did I miss something or is this a glitch?

Thud

So I am stuck at
the entrance to Cave Lake
. I got the cutscene with Geis, I defeated the mini-slime boss, and I STILL can't go through the lake. Did I miss something or is this a glitch?

You need a item to go underwater. You can get it from
Balsam

Skrams

Finally put some time into this after buying it day one. Got all 3 swords a second ago and I'm liking the game, but not as much as Oath or Origin. It's probably just because it's the first one of the engine so there's some things they learned from making it. I don't really have much problem with it besides the bosses feeling pretty underwhelming so far. Maybe it's because I'm on Normal, but the bosses only seem to have 3 moves or less. Their weakpoints also don't seem to be very generous because I'll either hit bad bits or I'll have to jump over and over to hit it which can be a tad annoying. I also might just of been underleveled for the second boss since I was doing a piddly 7 damage with each hit. I didn't find the boss hard, but just time consuming. Usually I find myself thinking the bosses are possible as long as I can survive for Oath or Origin since the damage output is gauged a little better from what I remember. So far with this it just seems to be avoid the very limited moveset and you'll usually be fine no matter the damage output you have.

Dash Jumping can also be annoying, but I can do it a bit on a gamepad. It feels pretty good crossing some of those gaps with dash jumps knowing I could easily fall if mistimed. I could use the KB+M for them, but I'd rather try to get good.

Music doesn't stick out to me a lot so far, but maybe there will be later tracks that change my mind.

Only other weird things are certain things like being able to see the end of the skybox since I guess it was never meant for not 4:3? I also assume the traveling in the world was meant to feel more purposeful with revisiting locations or having to make the trek back to a checkpoint. The ability to warp to any checkpoint kind of makes that moot.

I will keep continuing with it because I love me some Ys. I've had a copy of Memories in Celceta sitting around for a while too, so I might jump into that afterwards.

epmode

Has anyone else noticed an issue where the ground textures seem to get blurry when your character stands still? Once I start moving even at a slow walk, the blur goes away only to return the instant I stand still. This happens in Napishtim as well as Felghana. I'm not sure which setting is doing it and it happens if I downsample or use my native resolution.

edit: Seems to be some crazy setting on my new monitor. Some kind of overdrive thing that takes effect at higher refresh rates. If I change it from Extreme to Normal, the blurry/sharp thing goes away.

False alarm!

Paltheos

Finished. Normal Catastrophe Lv.51. Did everything, except kill Majunun. :mad:

I can dash jump to the hole in the pillars for the Galba Hand, but for the life of me I can't get enough distance from there to the platform leading to Majunun's room. I'm not even close. I thought the trick is holding the direction when you do it, but apparently I'm not doing it right.

Thoughts:

Felghana > Origin > Celceta > Napishtim > Seven (unfinished)

seems about right. Everything I've said before about Napishtim has held. Is fun and feels more like an adventure than its successors but is also rougher mechanically and not as well balanced. Still good Ys.

Even though party Ys has been generally weaker than the Napishtim games, Celceta retrospectively feels much improved over Seven. Can't wait. for Ys 8. :) Might actually pick up Ys I and II to try out this bump system (which sounds so bizarre to me)

Bumping is actually super super fun, very basic but very satisfying mechanic. Also if you're in need of grinding or just generally walking around searching for something, combat is really fast.

I was also kinda weirded out by it, but absolutely loved it when i actually experienced bumping monsters into blood and bits.

And Feena.

Bumping is actually super super fun, very basic but very satisfying mechanic. Also if you're in need of grinding or just generally walking around searching for something, combat is really fast.

I was also kinda weirded out by it, but absolutely loved it when i actually experienced bumping monsters into blood and bits.

That's basically everyone reaction.

"how is bumping any fun?" to "fuck yes bumping everything to death".

And Lilia.

FTFY

ArjanN

Finished. Normal Catastrophe Lv.51. Did everything, except kill Majunun. :mad:

I can dash jump to the hole in the pillars for the Galba Hand, but for the life of me I can't get enough distance from there to the platform leading to Majunun's room. I'm not even close. I thought the trick is holding the direction when you do it, but apparently I'm not doing it right.

Thoughts:

Felghana > Origin > Celceta > Napishtim > Seven (unfinished)

seems about right. Everything I've said before about Napishtim has held. Is fun and feels more like an adventure than its successors but is also rougher mechanically and not as well balanced. Still good Ys.

Even though party Ys has been generally weaker than the Napishtim games, Celceta retrospectively feels much improved over Seven. Can't wait. for Ys 8. :) Might actually pick up Ys I and II to try out this bump system (which sounds so bizarre to me)

I think you need to dash jump north and then once you land immediately jump normally afterwards or you'll fall.

Anyone who beat Majunun on nightmare, what level were you?

If you're in nightmare without catastrophe mode, then you can try at level 52.

However, if you're in nightmare + catastrophe it is best to grind to level 57~60. And the grind towards it is painful. I'm still in the process of grinding.

If you're in nightmare without catastrophe mode, then you can try at level 52.

However, if you're in nightmare + catastrophe it is best to grind to level 57~60. And the grind towards it is painful. I'm still in the process of grinding.

9T1kgIr.gif

Yeah, I know that feel. I'm at level 51 and the highest XP I receive is 14 by killing the red bombs. I missed out on the starlight medal.

I'll probably start a normal run instead. >_>

• Definitely the most "traditional" Ys game as unlike the OiF and Origin it actually feels like it has a consistent overworld
  • The final boss fight was disappointing and the ending was abrupt, you mean to tell me that I don't get to fight that
    sea monster thing?
  • The balance in the game was generally off, I was either way too overleveled or underleveld at points
  • I can't imagine playing this game without teleporting, holy fuck that must have been horrible with the original release
  • Overall a pretty good game, not as good as OiF, and certainly not as incredible as Origin, but still good

Also I just downloaded GOG Galaxy, is there a way I can transfer my saves from the game to GOG Galaxy when I redownload the game?

This game came out on the PS2 and I said "I am totally going to buy that", but I didn't.
Then it came out on the PSP and I said, "Oh, I am going to get it this time", and I didn't.

Now it is on PC and I am for real when I say "I am super seriously going to get it this time."

This game came out on the PS2 and I said "I am totally going to buy that", but I didn't.
Then it came out on the PSP and I said, "Oh, I am going to get it this time", and I didn't.

Now it is on PC and I am for real when I say "I am super seriously going to get it this time."

Just be glad you did the right choice and now you're getting the best version of the game.

Just make sure you actually buy it!

Rhapsody

Banned
Game finished, clocked in at 11 hours in Normal Catastrophe. I didn't fight that one boss in the ruins though.

Unfortunately I got an (generic) error message during the credits which is disappointing. Same error as desmax probably. Happened twice, so I just gave up.
Still though, really fun. Felt like quite an adventure, and it was nice seeing the dialogue and character development of all the NPCs as the game progressed.

Lilia's boring though. Amusing how much she fangirls over Adol, but that's about it.

Mr.Jeff

Oh. I guess it looked different then in the cutscenes. I guess that is another very disappointing boss fight.
It doesn't make it any less disappointing but Nightmare is made more interesting in that you can die in less than 5 seconds.

Pretty happy that I managed to beat the Limestone Cave boss in just 4 tries on Nightmare/Catastrophe. Although this might be down to i)having 33 attempts when I last played on Nightmare and ii) being Level 41 with 3 penultimately maxed swords. Ho hum.

Marow

Started playing this not too long ago. I'm going to take my time with this one, actually, and let the experience sink in. I really like how it's slower paced and all the unique NPCs makes it feel like a breathing world. I'm glad about the teleporting however, even if the lack of it would help make the world feel even more connected. Speaking of teleporting, it actually shows locations on the map you can teleport to in the future without having visited them yet (just the location - no name or anything).

Dash jump was a pain in the butt until I learned I didn't need to hold the stick/d-pad in the direction I wanted to jump.

The Ruins is a hellhole made by assholes, lol.

It's that last jump. It's the Hallway of Projectiles. It's a boss that never doesn't not be spinning.

Real Nightmare Mode is doing it on a 360 D-pad.

Top Bottom