• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zara to stop selling shirt resembling Holocaust "uniform", will "exterminate them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbecube

This is also bullshit. Someone shouldn't be entitled their religious symbols because Germany decided to also use the symbol? "Be mindful of the culture over here," so basically, these Buddhists and Hindus shouldn't be allowed to express their religion? Isn't that against one of the US amendments regarding religious expression?
Speaking as a Hindu and also a resident of the real world, I don't use the swastika. It does mean something in my religion, but my unwillingness to use a symbol associated with the Nazis far outweighs that; I have other avenues with which to express my Hinduism.

I consider the swastika unacceptable because displaying it would be deeply disrespectful of many people, some of whom are my friends, and not because of any pressure anyone's put on me.

That's just me, not speaking for other Hindus.

(Incidentally, the First Amendment protects us from legislation re:religious expression, but it doesn't say that all religious expression is automatically socially okay.)

Sesha

Why did they feel the need to add "and exterminated" whether in English or Hebrew, to the response? When most people read that something is taken off the shelves they would naturally assume the offending item is gone forever.

How did they NAZI the resemblance ?

Ghetto load of this post!

How did they NAZI the resemblance ?

image.php

Puns about this are NOT FUNNY . . . anned frankly, I'm offended.

Goliath

OK...OK...

If it was just the Sherriff shirt I would think, overreaction possible misunderstanding.

But between this, the swaztika purse and the "White is the new Black" T-shirt, it' just too much to be a coincedence.

Uh dude, it's a religious symbol. It has been and always will be. To millions of people of Indian and East Asian heritage, which represents people in the billions, it means something good. You can't take that away from them; it isn't fair and it isn't right. So "For nearly the entire Western world -- of which Zara sells clothes to -- the swastika represents that and nothing else and nothing else," is fucking bullshit.

Oh, I didn't see this ridiculous and naive reply.

I'm not taking anything away from anybody. If an Indian person or person of East Asian Heritage wants to see the swastika as a symbol of whatever-they-want then that is A-OKAY with me. If they build a place of worship and the symbol is present somewhere, then that's just fine and dandy. But, if fucking Zara, the kings of cheap throwaway garbage clothing manufactured by the sweat of illegal child labor, are putting swastikas on a handbag and selling them to people in the Western world -- in which the Swastika has a completely different meaning -- then that is a totally different scenario. Of course, I'm not saying that Zara can't make clothes with Swastikas on them, by all means, go ahead and make them... But then accept the shit storm of criticism when you sell an overpriced piece of shit handbag with a swastika on it.

In Europe and North America, the swastika is a symbol that represents Nazism and murdering Jews, homosexuals, Gypsies, Poles, and others. In the United States it also represents racist Neonazism, and which harkens back to the KKK. There's a sensitivity around the symbol, it's a damn shame that the most horrific regime in modern history co-opted that symbol but they did, and if you go walking around with a swastika on your shirt anywhere in North America or Europe, it's not likely to be well received.

You have to be completely daft to ignore that words, letters, and symbols have a different meaning in different cultures, and if your primary audience perceives a word or symbol as offensive -- even if another culture that you don't sell to does not -- you're going to receive flak for it.

Aylinato

If someone from those religions wears garment with that symbol on it, you know there will be backlash.

Uh because it's also a religious symbol? It's akin to the cross, crescent or star of David.

That's not what he said, you know it, and then you went on to argue a straw man ontop of you being ignorant. You need to realize it's not acceptable in western culture in a western country. It doesn't matter what an eastern country thinks when it's not in an eastern country. Come on man.

Monocle

Whats wrong with this? Why do westerners get so uppity about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/卍

Its a religious symbol, that just because the Nazis used it, has no evil significance.
Is this an act or are you really that oblivious? The swastika has "evil significance" because the Nazis used it to represent their hateful ideology. You just argued that a symbol directly tied to the murder of millions "has no evil significance" just because it also happens to be a religious symbol. Good job.

Maybe you should walk around with a bunch of swastikas adorning your clothing and correct the uppity Jews and westerners with your impeccable logic.

Ikael

I also do believe that it is an honest mistake. When you put a ginormous amount of designs per day such a Zara does, you are bound to make mistakes.They apologized and retired it, as it was the correct thing to do.

Also, the title is a little tad misleading. The whole response about "exterminate them" was a reply from an angry jewish person at Twitter, not Zara's (and welp, that's an unfortunate wording :S).

Jag

Speaking as a Hindu and also a resident of the real world, I don't use the swastika. It does mean something in my religion, but my unwillingness to use a symbol associated with the Nazis far outweighs that; I have other avenues with which to express my Hinduism.

I consider the swastika unacceptable because displaying it would be deeply disrespectful of many people, some of whom are my friends, and not because of any pressure anyone's put on me.

That's just me, not speaking for other Hindus.

(Incidentally, the First Amendment protects us from legislation re:religious expression, but it doesn't say that all religious expression is automatically socially okay.)

This.

Mik2121

The "nazi" symbol is everywhere on Japanese maps, someone please think of the (tourist) children! Or else they'll think Japan is full of nazis (with their symbols flipped to boot!).

Anyway, I honestly didn't really think of the holocaust uniform when I saw that shirt. I can somewhat see a slight resemblance when put together with the holocaust one, but if that's the only thing you can see when you look at this shirt, I think you might be trying a little bit hard.

As for the bag with the nazi symbol... I don't think they really meant it. That symbol means more than nazis and when people say that meanings change based on how people use them, you are not helping trying to just stick to that one single meaning. Hell, not even the colors are the same. I can see why people would get angry, but it's been quite a long time, I think it would be nice if people started to try and use that symbol as something else, maybe more fitting to the other meanings it has.

And as for the white and black t-shirt. Uh... don't see the big deal unless, again, you are trying to be overly politically correct. Which is the new cool thing to be these days, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom