• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Demo Impressions Thread

Is it vital to have played the first one? The first game is still pretty expensive.
Vital? No, but it's highly recommended. The main draw of this series is the story and characters, and this game is a direct sequel to 999.

999 is an incredible game and definitely worth your time IMO. It was just reprinted too, and I think $24.99 is a very reasonable price.

Spierek

Is it vital to have played the first one? The first game is still pretty expensive.

Do it, since it's worth playing on its own and will enhance your VLR experience. AKSYS has recently re-released the game at a lower price point (and with a new cover), so it shouldn't be as expensive now. You can get it from US Amazon for 25$ (or 17, from other sellers).

Omikaru

I'm a Euro here, so no demo yet, but the screenshots from this thread have convinced me that the Vita version is the way to go.

There's no way the AA is going to be that amazing on the 3DS, and I'm not all that fussed about 3D. Maybe the lack of a lower screen will affect me, but I think I'll cope with one big screen.

I was wavering between the two because I have the original 999 on DS, and I like to keep game series' on the same (or successor) platforms, where possible, but I can't resist that image quality.

I'm glad that most of you are enjoying the demo. Gets me hyped for the final thing!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have already finished the japanese vita demo time ago(and i don't understand a single word of japanese, so piece of cake i guess).
My impressions: poor 3ds graphics(some textures are really bad) and i personally prefer the "smurfs" game to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-LNH4XZV4

But i liked it, it will be the only game of this kind on the eu vita(there's the "smurfs" game in jap), so i'll download the eu demo so i can understand a little more and i'll buy it.

I really hope that the "smurfs" game comes here too.

drkOne

999 True Ending blew my mind, if VLR story is half as good as that this will be my GOTY.
That Prisoner's Dilemma game is enough to hype me for this one.

I'll most likely get the Vita version as I never felt like I needed a second screen in the demo.
Also better 3D Models and the fact that Nintendo don't care for a demo...
I imagine there won't be anything exclusive to the 3DS that uses the 3D features, so 3D doesn't really matter to me.

Mzo

Got through the Vita demo last night, pretty rad stuff. Pretty excited for the game now.

It looks like just an amulet covering her boobs from here.

Lusankya

It looks like just an amulet covering her boobs from here.

ZtIMs.jpg

Got back to my EU account on the PSVita, otherwise, I'd be playing the hell out of this demo for 3 weeks, until I could do it blind... Whew! I really want this game.

Ohnonono

Gonna try this demo soon, I don't have the first and have no way to play it, but I am still excited for this one on my vita.

I forgot to mention one thing that bothered me during the demo.
I like the auto function, I can watch the whole novel part unravel without pressing any button.
But the Vita automatically darkens the screen after one minute! So, I touch the screen, but the auto function stops...
I found a way, pressing L or R doesn't change anything, but it isn't good just pressing these random buttons every once in a while. Isn't there a way to prevent Vita from darkening the screen?

Gambit61

I forgot to mention one thing that bothered me during the demo.
I like the auto function, I can watch the whole novel part unravel without pressing any button.
But the Vita automatically darkens the screen after one minute! So, I touch the screen, but the auto function stops...
I found a way, pressing L or R doesn't change anything, but it isn't good just pressing these random buttons every once in a while. Isn't there a way to prevent Vita from darkening the screen?

I had the same problem lol. Gonna have to try messing with the settings later.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm pretty sure there's a setting to change the power saver settings on the Vita.

I had the same problem lol. Gonna have to try messing with the settings later.

From what I've seen, it's a common Vita problem since its launch and even messing with the power saving (meaning delay the screen saver), doesn't change this damn dim screen after one minute. What a lousy choice, and it's not Aksys' fault, since this problem was present even during Uncharted cutscenes!
Either I'll give up on auto, or I'll block the L button during novel sections. But this thing is so paradoxical that my hate for Vita levelled up.

Akselziys.....is the demo shortened or is that the whole scene when Zero the third explains all of the rules?

I’m asking because it seems edited? I really hope we see some more confusion and panic in the full game.

Akselziys.....is the demo shortened or is that the whole scene when Zero the third explains all of the rules?

I’m asking because it seems edited? I really hope we see some more confusion and panic in the full game.

I really think the whole novel section is edited out. I'm sure there will be more of it!
But, on a similar ground, was the puzzle section shortened?
I found odd that the game automatically combined the aluminium foil with the box cutter, saying that in the demo you cut three pieces.
Is there a fourth piece of foil?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

Yeah, that's a shortened abridged version of what happens in the game ;)

With the news that the european version only has japanese voice acting I'm going to buy a U.S 3DS console. I'm in Australia. What would be the cheapest place to buy from? Also I would need to buy a power adaptor as well correct?

I enjoyed this demo a lot. Not too sure about the puzzles because im not much of an adventure game or puzzle guy, but I thought the story bits were great. And dat Alice...yep.

Super excited for retail, but gotta admit I need to wait on a Vita/3DS comparison based in everyone's comments in this thread. I love the Vita screen but I'll take better stylus controls. Guess I'll try the demo with my iPad stylus too.

Been kinda lazy but I just downloaded the demo about an hour ago and finished it probably 15min ago.

The English dub's pretty good actually and thus, the wait for this game is getting harder now lol. Good thing I already have it preordered off amazon so I get the bracelet.

Thoraxes

Super excited for retail, but gotta admit I need to wait on a Vita/3DS comparison based in everyone's comments in this thread. I love the Vita screen but I'll take better stylus controls. Guess I'll try the demo with my iPad stylus too.

Yeah, given what I played in the demo, i'm thinking if control's precision are a big thing for you, the 3DS will probably be the version to play.

I prefered to use a sheet of paper over the in-game memo pad just because of how bad it was writing with my finger on the screen.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Like Belisarius mentioned on Twitter, there are some
Easter egg 4 digit phone numbers you can input into the phone in order to receive some funny responses. They also apply to the full game as well.

yurinka

Downloaded an completed the demo. Really enjoyed it!

Sadly the 3D graphics are a bit poor for a Vita game, and same goes with the tank controls to move the character (I expected free dual analog controls to move through the rooms) even if they work well for the puzzles. I still see the DS influence here.

Loved it thanks to the puzzles design, the interesting story and the godly Kinu Nishimura's character design and 2D art.

Will buy it day one for my Vita once released in Spain. :) Let's hope 999 gets released for Vita or I found a way to buy it for DS in Spain (or can I import it in English at least?).

So does anyone have a favorite character yet from the initial demo impressions? :D
All of them seem pretty interesting. The demo is focused in 3 of them, which I loved. I would choose the main character or Alice, since I love boobs.

Top Bottom