• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Soul Calibur 4 Character: Scheherazado

We have a complete 18-volume set of the Burton translation of Arabian Nights at home... I read parts of it. It definitely is a very interesting collection, and I'd agree that Scheherezade is a name that everybody should (and I would think most would) know. Maybe the ones in Disney movies would be better known, but outside of that, I'd think her name would be better known than anything else from the 1001 Nights, and very well known in general due to how well known and important the book is.

karasu

Neo C. said:
And as for 21th century, western people should read more chinese stuff. It's a shame that educated asian people know much more about western literature, philosophy, art and music than vice versa, although the chinese culture was like 2000 year on a higher level than the west.

So...how many have read at least Sun Zi's Art of War (Bing Fa)?

I have. I've also read Journey to the West. But I really have no idea how Snow White or whatever is relevant to actual life an the decisions that are a part of it.

ethelred

karasu said:
I have. I've also read Journey to the West. But I really have no idea how Snow White or whatever is relevant to actual life an the decisions that are a part of it.

Look, no one has said that the illiterate aren't capable of crafting decisions and living competent lives. But saying "hey, I can still function! I can do other stuff!" isn't a refutation of illiteracy, unfortunately. I'm not going to use basic chemistry, physics, or geometry in my daily life, but at the same time, I'm not going to try to convince someone that I'm knowledgable in the fields if I lack a basic understanding. If one wants to defend illiteracy by claiming it's not going to materially impact your life, that's fine, but at least be clear about it.

Yoboman said:
Elves?

Well shit, I guess Soul Calibur is open to anything now

Where you still down with the solid story, grounded in realism when Yoda and Vader rolled up? Or were the pointy ears truly the deal breaker? :lol

I NEED THIS GAME ALL OVER MY FACE!! :D

On topic: I like Scheherazado, she looks pretty cool. I just hope she doesn't just play like a female Raph. Or maybe he got a sex change and she will play EXACTLY like him er her er... hmm...

More importantly: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/SegataIchi/segata8tinew.gif

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Prax said:
I know, I'll make a compromise.. I'll make and name a character Scheherezade or something similar to forever remember the fact that she is the story-telling queen in 1001 Nights!
Why don't you make this one... read the fucking books! :lol or at least an anthology!

If people are ignorant of it, they can google it. Hopefully once there, they can get interested in the tales and begin reading them. The great things about book larnin' ignorance is that it's easily cured.

ethelred said:
All right, fine, if you guys insist. People who aren't familiar with Arabian Nights are stupid. Don't blame me, blame Byakuya and Dark Octave.

WOW! Did you seriously use this reply twice? How lame. Nice job looking pathetic.

So if one hasn't read story A with character Z, this makes them uneductaed? No matter what else they've read or may have written in their lifetime, not knowing a charatcer from Arabian Nights is considered uneducated....? If that's what you're implying, I'd rather have common sense than what you claim is knowledge. Twit.

Dead Man

I really hate to be even slightly on topic here, but what has her character to do with Scheherazade except the name? How are they choosing names for these characters? Lucky draw from a hat?

idahoblue said:
I really hate to be even slightly on topic here, but what has her character to do with Scheherazade except the name? How are they choosing names for these characters? Lucky draw from a hat?
Seemingly just picking names that sound cool. Too bad, Soul Calibur could use someone with arabic influences in appearance and fighting style over an elf.

idahoblue said:
I think it's part from a hat, part from the pool of famous names in history, since SC is a tale of souls and swords eternally retold...

ethelred said:
You know you only have to hit the post button once, right?

How's that common sense working out for you?

Actually, just once.

I'm on a PS3 and it's hard to see the loading blip in the corner of a white page. Nice try though... seriously.

KevinCow

Banned
If anybody ever tells me, "No, I don't think GAF is full of elitist assholes who think they're better than everyone else," I will show them this thread. Though I really can't see anyone even remotely familiar with GAF saying something like that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I love her character design, I do wish that other soul calibur characters got the proper treatment like she did.

*Cough*

All the D+ cups for the girls

*cough*

KevinCow said:
If anybody ever tells me, "No, I don't think GAF is full of elitist assholes who think they're better than everyone else," I will show them this thread. Though I really can't see anyone even remotely familiar with GAF saying something like that.
Oh, come now. Everybody thinks they're better than everyone else. It's just that some people are more open about that feeling.

:p

karasu

ethelred said:
Look, no one has said that the illiterate aren't capable of crafting decisions and living competent lives. But saying "hey, I can still function! I can do other stuff!" isn't a refutation of illiteracy, unfortunately. I'm not going to use basic chemistry, physics, or geometry in my daily life, but at the same time, I'm not going to try to convince someone that I'm knowledgable in the fields if I lack a basic understanding. If one wants to defend illiteracy by claiming it's not going to materially impact your life, that's fine, but at least be clear about it.

That has nothing to do with anything I said. If you can't see how ridiculous it is to suggest that people are illiterate or uneducated solely because they're unaware of any random classical story or character you bring up, then you're so pervasively confounded by your own idiocy that you're mistaking it as elitism.

Anony

meh, i knew it was too good to be true ヽ(´ー` )ノ
oh yeah, scans are bad, lol, was referring to the mois - sc4 scan

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sad topic.

I'm a classically educated culinarian, yet that doesn't give me the right to ostracize those who went to see the animated flick Ratatouille, without knowledge of the classical recipe and the culture behind it.

Or should I hop over to the OT and start laughing at people?

Oh good this new character looks to be back in the boobs, titties, and breastesses camp. Now we can stop whining about culture and ignorance and making babies and whatever the hell else this thread was about.

Dali

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh good this new character looks to be back in the boobs, titties, and breastesses camp. Now we can stop whining about culture and ignorance and making babies and whatever the hell else this thread was about.
So that was another new SCIV character? The anime version of her looked enough like Cher to the point that I just thought it was an alternate outfit, but the weapon made me wonder. I couldn't really tell what it was. Were those crescent things behind her head part of it or were they part of a headdress? Need real pics.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Hcoregamer00 said:
I love her character design, I do wish that other soul calibur characters got the proper treatment like she did.

*Cough*

All the D+ cups for the girls

*cough*

But that is for the future of mankind!

Think about it full D+ breast physics! :D

ElyrionX

ethelred said:
Yes, I'm going to go out on that proud limb and say that if someone is unfamiliar with Arabian Nights they're pretty well uneducated.

I read widely and have a subscription to the Economist and Fortune and had subscriptions to Newsweek and Time before I decided that the contents of those magazines were too "light" for my taste. I can tell you everything you need to know about the subprime crisis and to a lesser extent about the politics of the Taiwan election recently and even about the ongoing presidential primaries in the US. I can name you the leaders of countries such as Italy, France, Germany, Brazil and even Bolivia.

Basically what I'm saying is that when it comes to general knowledge and about someone being "well-read", in all likelihood, I fucking own you along with probably 80% of the posters on GAF. And just because I'm not familiar with Arabian Nights, I'm "uneducated", now?

Open your eyes. The world doesn't just revolve around America and its education system and what constitutes "literature" over there.

Jirotrom

ElyrionX said:
I graduated near the top of my class in accounting at one of the only three universities in my country that matters. I'm from Singapore by the way and my university's business school consistently shows up on business schools rankings by publications such as Financial Times. So no, it's not the kind of university that any tom, dick or harry can get into. Only 10 to 20% of our student population every year ever make it into one of these three universities.

I also read widely and have a subscription to the Economist and Fortune and had subscriptions to Newsweek and Time before I decided that the contents of those magazines were too "light" for my taste. I can tell you everything you need to know about the subprime crisis and to a lesser extent about the politics of the Taiwan election recently and even about the ongoing presidential primaries in the US. I can name you the leaders of countries such as Italy, France, Germany, Brazil and even Bolivia.

Basically what I'm saying is that when it comes to general knowledge and about someone being "well-read", in all likelihood, I fucking own you along with probably 80% of the posters on GAF. And just because I'm not familiar with Arabian Nights, I'm "uneducated", now?

Open your eyes. The world doesn't just revolve around America and its education system and what constitutes "literature" over there.
wow... sometimes its not worth the effort man...

ElyrionX said:
I graduated near the top of my class in accounting at one of the only three universities in my country that matters. I'm from Singapore by the way and my university's business school consistently shows up on business schools rankings by publications such as Financial Times. So no, it's not the kind of university that any tom, dick or harry can get into. Only 10 to 20% of our student population every year ever make it into one of these three universities.

I also read widely and have a subscription to the Economist and Fortune and had subscriptions to Newsweek and Time before I decided that the contents of those magazines were too "light" for my taste. I can tell you everything you need to know about the subprime crisis and to a lesser extent about the politics of the Taiwan election recently and even about the ongoing presidential primaries in the US. I can name you the leaders of countries such as Italy, France, Germany, Brazil and even Bolivia.

Whoa man, don't turn this into a trash american "arrogance" thing... I am American and am in the exact same boat as you. Well read and educated in science, yet have never had any desire to read those glorified fairy tales.

ethelred

ElyrionX said:
Basically what I'm saying is that when it comes to general knowledge and about someone being "well-read", in all likelihood, I fucking own you.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to entertain such delusions, have at it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Byakuya769 said:
Whoa man, don't turn this into a trash american "arrogance" thing... I am American and am in the exact same boat as you. Well read and educated in science, yet have never had any desire to read those glorified fairy tales.
I don't entirely agree with the 'reading' of it but knowing of it or not seems a pretty big stickler.

viewtiful_dru said:
this thread needs more charizard

2s8nscl.jpg

Spirit3

A decently chest sized female character in a video game called Soul Calibur?

Okay when did hell freeze over? I likey, even if she does look like a Link cosplayer.

RevenantKioku said:
I don't entirely agree with the 'reading' of it but knowing of it or not seems a pretty big stickler.

I disagree, the character has no true cultural relevance. Are we going to call non christians uneducated if they don't know who zachariah is?

Byakuya769 said:
I disagree, the character has no true cultural relevance. Are we going to call non christians uneducated if they don't know who zachariah is?

I would say someone who can't at least recognize it as a Biblical name and find out more about one or both of the Biblical Zechariahs if called to do so is indeed uneducated. (I'd say the same for Fatima, Avalokiteshvara, Lakshmi, and other relatively prominent figures of major world religions, which, yes, means there is a shockingly large number of un- or under-educated individuals.)

Ummm... it looks like there might be another new character, could be a shop though... named Angol Fia art by Yoshizaki Mine.

It's hard to describe her... she's dark skinned sporting 3 eyes, has on a black body suit with silver thigh highs and matching gloves, a purplish chest plate with spikes in front of her chest, silver hair, high heels, a string a silver cloth running down her front and privates (think the stringiest bikini you ever saw), and a spiked purplish hat Yangus would be proud of... her weapon is a spear with a 3 pronged cross shaped end and at the other is a big iron ball.

EDIT:: Actually, it's more like spandex shorts than a body suit... my bad.

Speevy

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Ummm... it looks like there might be another new character, could be a shop though... named Angol Fia art by Yoshizaki Mine.

It's hard to describe her... she's dark skinned sporting 3 eyes, has on a black body suit with silver thigh highs and matching gloves, a purplish chest plate with spikes in front of her chest, silver hair, high heels, a string a silver cloth running down her front and privates (think the stringiest bikini you ever saw), and a spiked purplish hat Angus would be proud of... her weapon is a spear with a 3 pronged cross shaped end and at the other is a big iron ball.

What major work of literature do I have to read now?

Top Bottom