• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

TS-08

I see what you mean, "System Seller" can applied to every game because some might buy Wii for My Little Pony.

I would said "Killer Game" is a better wording, more impact sound. Basically it is same as "System Seller"

"Killer System Seller"

gtj1092

Aren't all the so called system sellers on systems that Sony crushed. Most people just care about games exclusive or not. Usually the system with the most wins.

This is the first time in my gaming life that I've actually been excited to see the results of the NPDs. Or I should say people's reactions to the NPDs. Maybe it's because business (for me) was slow this past month, but normally I'm not captivated by this type of thing.

Gator86

This. It's like the story of the Tortoise & the Hare.

Take the Hare (who's Microsoft), in which he's been bringing out loads of exclusives at the beginning of each generation. But later on, he's began to slow down on that front, & are outsmarted by the Tortoise (who's Sony), who always starts out slow first with the exclusives at the beginning of each generation, then comes out with more exclusives at the very end.

Sony starts out slow with the exclusives at the very beginning, then later on, they come out much faster. Been happening since PS2 & the Original Xbox, I believe, as I've been noticing this pattern between the two companies when it comes to exclusives.

This is a reasonable assessment. Unfortunately for MS, they're getting pummeled in sales now so its gonna be a nightmare trying to moneyhat exclusives. So they're more akin to a hare that can't afford legs. Its going to be a long race for them.

N.Domixis

Banned
No it was peter or allard.

I found this,
This year will be the largest in the history of the video game industry, with Xbox 360 leading the charge in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry. - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...ins+War/article11792.htm#sthash.0biwKrz6.dpuf

Amir0x

Banned
You'd get a page of "Holy shit good news microsoft".
GopherD would come in on the 5th page and say " "Sales " ".
And then the accusations that MS secretly bought all of it's own stock to artificially boost sales. Then the Final Bosman episode 2 weeks later.

I'd actually buy into that conspiracy. What devilry would cause 2 million sales in March for any of the systems currently, let alone XBO? Some magic type shit right there lol

Deku Tree

I found this,
This year will be the largest in the history of the video game industry, with Xbox 360 leading the charge in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry. - See more at: http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...ins+War/article11792.htm#sthash.0biwKrz6.dpuf

I am guessing they may have all said it at some point. Wasn't it like one of their PR talking points?

Cornbread78

This is the first time in my gaming life that I've actually been excited to see the results of the NPDs. Or I should say people's reactions to the NPDs. Maybe it's because business (for me) was slow this past month, but normally I'm not captivated by this type of thing.

I think everybody is in agreement on the March outcome with XB1 in the lead. Personally, I want to see the numbers for everything and I hope we actually get them... It is kinda fun and/or interesting to watch though.

Salex_

This is a reasonable assessment. Unfortunately for MS, they're getting pummeled in sales now so its gonna be a nightmare trying to moneyhat exclusives. So they're more akin to a hare that can't afford legs. Its going to be a long race for them.

This is a good thing. Let's hope they only do deals like Dead Rising 3 and Bayonetta and build up their 1st party studios.

Gator86

This is good thing. Let's hope they only do deals like Dead Rising 3 and Bayonetta and build up their 1st party studios.

I absolutely agree. Less moneyhats should less to more games for everyone in the end. Sony fans get the games MS would have bought away and MS fans get more first party titles. MS is going to be absolutely buried by the time a lot of those come out though. I mean, how many years before we see stuff like the Black Tusk Gears game?

The PS4 selling 7 million in 5 months with, according to a few, no system selling games should scare the bajeezus out of anyone competing against the PS4.

Hope Sony has a dozen factories ready to put these things together when Uncharted 4 or the Order or God of War or Gran Turismo or whatever else people think would be a system seller releases.

Having owned every Playstation console it has become abundantly clear Sony does not care about system selling titles. They are nice, but Sony has always been about being the Wal Mart of consoles. Something for everyone and then some.

Hot. Damn.

Unrequested anecdotal evidence; to this day, I have yet to see a PS4 on store shelves in my area (SW Las Vegas).

I was amazed the other day when I saw 2 PS4's at my local Target... I imagine they are no longer there... My local Costco doesn't have any PS4's but they have a huge stack of XBO's

CoG

I found this,

They later revised it when they hit 10M in the US. I don't think they were first to 10M WW.

Biker19

Banned
This is a good thing. Let's hope they only do deals like Dead Rising 3 and Bayonetta and build up their 1st party studios.

I absolutely agree. Less moneyhats should less to more games for everyone in the end. Sony fans get the games MS would have bought away and MS fans get more first party titles. MS is going to be absolutely buried by the time a lot of those come out though. I mean, how many years before we see stuff like the Black Tusk Gears game?

I agree with these. Everyone should have 1st/2nd party games from both companies.

I think everybody is in agreement on the March outcome with XB1 in the lead. Personally, I want to see the numbers for everything and I hope we actually get them... It is kinda fun and/or interesting to watch though.

I want as much sales parity between the Xbox One & PS4 as possible. The closer the two are in sales the more the companies will do to try to impress us. 7 Million is an awesome number for Sony, but I do hope that Microsoft will close the sales gap soon. It's a very interesting thing to watch indeed.

I honestly read this and thought the news couldn't possibly be downplayed, but then I saw Gies being Gies.

I think the success of this gen (so far) has been pretty amusing in light of how many times I've seen 'consoles are doomed' articles in the past couple of years.

Quasar

Have to say I continue to be surprised how this has turned out.

After the WiiU and the rise of all these other platforms I did think Sony (and MS) were in for a rough ride, with Sony probably being lucky if they got 7 million in the first year. I'm still kind of confused about what everyone outside of the hard core early adopters are buying them all for. Its not like there a special game or feature that's driving sales to folks outside early adopters.

The only thing a sales parity would do is to have Microsoft and Sony money hat games away from opposing platforms. Sony gamers would be screwed over.

I honestly read this and thought the news couldn't possibly be downplayed, but then I saw Gies being Gies.

I think the success of this gen (so far) has been pretty amusing in light of how many times I've seen 'consoles are doomed' articles in the past couple of years.

It's cause everyone is doing it wrong... we're all supposed to be using tablets for everything.... the internets told me that a few years back... apparently everyone didn't get the memo.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

After the WiiU and the rise of all these other platforms I did think Sony (and MS) were in for a rough ride, with Sony probably being lucky if they got 7 million in the first year. I'm still kind of confused about what everyone outside of the hard core early adopters are buying them all for. Its not like there a special game or feature that's driving sales to folks outside early adopters.

People want to play the games they've already been enjoying in the past generation on a more powerful system, PS4 also happens to be $100 cheaper.

I think its really that simple. There was no need for a system seller - every single major 3rd party game (outside of Titanfall) is on both consoles and it looks better on the cheaper box. Its literally an exact reversal of what happened with PS3 / 360 (for the most part)

Amir0x

Banned

Except there are.

PS4 introduced the world to the Share feature, which has been hugely popular. What's more, it helps advertise the games, foster a sense of community and allow bugs, funny moments and other events to become "bankable" events. It's massively successful, and I'm not remotely surprised. That was the best new feature of any system I heard of, and Microsoft was late to hopping on that specific train.

Additionally, folks are buying PS4 for the games. Why is this so difficult for people to accept? Guys, yes, a lot of the games are multiplatform, or previously released for other systems. That doesn't mean shit to the mass market! There are whole legions of gamers who never played Fez because it previously was not on a PlayStation platform; legions of casuals who want the best version of Battlefield or Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. There are people who love Warframe and are playing it religiously; others who are simply living off amazing PS+ titles like Resogun and Don't Starve.

You got a system that is the most powerful on the market sans PC; one that is also the cheapest; and one that has also showcased a clear, consistent message about what their product was all about from day one. They've had stunningly concise and precision-striked PR responses and advertising. And, of course, when you buy a system you're also buying an investment into its future. Many people, on top of the games PS4 also has, are confident Sony will support the system with an amazing library, because they're basically the ones who did just that with PS3 and PS2. A stunning degree of variety, lots of experimental stuff to fill in all gaps. Sony has given consumers a "you can trust me" card now, and even though the cynical among us including myself will remain wary of falling for that from any company entirely, it's hard to argue they've sort of re-earned the respect of many gamers by their actions, not their words.

Remember, the #1 reason a system sells is word-of-mouth. Studies have been done on this. So, what do you think the word-of-mouth has been for the past year?

Except there are.

PS4 introduced the world to the Share feature, which has been hugely popular. What's more, it helps advertise the games, foster a sense of community and allow bugs, funny moments and other events to become "bankable" events. It's massively successful, and I'm not remotely surprised. That was the best new feature of any system I heard of, and Microsoft was late to hopping on that specific train.

Additionally, folks are buying PS4 for the games. Why is this so difficult for people to accept? Guys, yes, a lot of the games are multiplatform, or previously released for other systems. That doesn't mean shit to the mass market! There are whole legions of games who never played Fez because it previously was not on a PlayStation platform; legions of casuals who want the best version of Battlefield or Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. There are people who love Warframe and are playing it religiously; others who are simply living of amazing PS+ titles like Resogun and Don't Starve.

You got a system that is the most powerful on the market sans PC; one that is also the cheapest; and one that has also showcased a clear, consistent message about what their product was all about from day one. They've had stunningly concise and precision-striked PR responses and advertising. And, of course, when you buy a system you're also buying an investment into its future. Many people, on top of the games PS4 also has, are confident Sony will support the system will an amazing library, because they're basically the ones who did just that with PS3 and PS2. A stunning degree of variety, lots of experimental stuff to fill in all gaps. Sony has given consumers a "you can trust me" card now, and even though the cynical among us including myself will remain wary of falling for that from any company entirely, it's hard to argue they've sort of re-earned the respect of many gamers by their actions, not their words.

Remember, the #1 reason a system sells is word-of-mouth. Studies have been done on this. So, what do you think the word-of-mouth has been for the past year?

Not to mention in the past PS couldn't give away cameras.... now due to Share they can't keep them in stock...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
B5N6mwM.gif

Chuck

Still without luck
Gotta love the warriors in here who will still champion their wrong opinions that console gaming is doomed and how it's only a matter of months before everything crashes and burns then crashes again and subsequently turns to dust. They're just so passionate about it!!!

CLEEK

The One and Done™;108463149 said:
I'm being serious here; how good is that relatively?

Pretty good, I guess.

As in, it's the fastest selling console of all time. By a significant margin.

Top Bottom