• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had this Date with each other from the beginning.

Date A Tohka 1-3

She had some cute moments.

Date A Yoshino 4-5

As above.

Date A Filler 6

Best hot springs episode.

Date A Kurumi 7-9

9932825yxra2.jpg
9932826aeoq6.jpg

Time itself appears to freeze mid-flow as the goddess finally descends onto the stage. The ethereal chord accompanying her entrance is strongly evocative of her status as a heavenly being without equal, a truth reinforced by the immaculate, peerless grace with which she writes her name on the blackboard. Without hesitation
she reveals herself as a Spirit to the classroom
fearless of the consequences, immediately marking herself out as the boldest and most courageous of the cast.

Her opening gambit is to ask Shido to guide her around the school, a development I found pleasantly surprising and arousing, as it was typically her initial move in my fantasies. These feelings persist when she renders not only Shido, but also the entire Ratatoskr crew spellbound as she gradually and sensually raises her skirt at his request. Had it not been for the inferior girls' interruption, he would have been fully ensnared by her charms at this point. Her tantalising teaser as she exits leaves the viewer enamoured by her bewitching guile, and perplexed as to why she was not made the heroine of the franchise.

Unfortunately, her irresistible beauty is such that she attracts the attention of some unscrupulous youths on her way home, but she handles the situation with characteristic aplomb and improves the gene pool of the populace at the same time. Given her tendency to target the more contemptible aspects of society, her 10,000+ body count implies that she has achieved far more for humanity than supposed visionaries such as Light Yagami ever managed.

Despite this evident truth, Mana's closed-mindedness renders her unable to appreciate the merit of Kurumi's actions, and following a brief confrontation she viciously murders Kurumi in a fit of prejudiced rage. Fortunately, it transpires that this event is merely a vehicle to emphasise the purported prodigy's ineffectiveness, as the 'corpse' reappears the following day with her enchanting visage intact.

Some slight suspension of disbelief is required at the episode's end, as Origami incredulously does not enjoy being molested by Kurumi and even looks quite fearful.

9932828fmxb2.jpg
99328270acl8.jpg

Understandably by this point, Shido can restrain himself no longer and confesses to Kurumi his undying desire to accompany her on a date. Despairingly, due to some underhanded trickery from the lesser girls, he is then cruelly forced to commit to going out with Tohka and Origami at the same time. Although his vehement, consuming grief upon realising he will not be spending the day entirely in Kurumi's company is not overtly shown, it is clear from his subconscious gestures that this is his true state of mind.

The date itself arrives and, again consequent to Tohka's deviousness, he keeps Kurumi waiting past their scheduled meeting time, a misdemeanour that she forgives with her saintly understanding and generosity. Overcome by her kindness, he candidly reveals his genuine feelings to her - he wishes to take her to a lingerie shop and have her model luxury undergarments. This revelation provides a valuable insight into Shido's lustful, irrepressible longing for the goddess. A further suspension of disbelief becomes necessary when Kurumi changes into the aforementioned lingerie and neither Shido nor anyone else within a 5 mile radius falls to their knees and professes their servitude to her.

After some dilly-dallying with insignificant characters, Kurumi's next moments reinforce her proactive, socially concerned nature as she encounters another gathering of miscreants torturing a small cat with pellet guns.
In an inspired moment of moral wisdom, she decides to impress upon them the error of their ways by painting bloody bulls-eyes on their chests and turning them into swiss cheese with her own firearms. Shido comes across the scene but, unfortunately, completely misinterprets Kurumi's blameless actions and then decides to tactlessly vomit everywhere. She brings him close to her in a tender, compassionate manner to reassure him that his fear is misplaced, but frustratingly their reconciliation is cut short by a cowardly surprise attack from Mana. The episode concludes with a camera pan of the interloper's back half, a deliberate reflection on how the audience wants nothing more than to see the back of her by this point.

99328327nxl2.jpg
9932833efknn.jpg

In a fitting testament to her brash, violent, vacuous personality, Mana yet again brutally and unjustifiably murders Kurumi. The latter's dying words of affection towards Shido despite her pitiable circumstances further emphasise the kindliness of her spirit.

But of course, Kurumi's magnificence transcends even death and she materialises at school the following day as if her tragic passing had not occurred. Shido, driven by his heartfelt desire to prevent such an embodiment of perfection from perishing in front of his eyes again, affirms that he will protect her from his sibling's vindictive, homicidal rampages. It is here that the viewer fully understands that Kurumi is indeed the predestined True Route and that any other outcome is nothing more than an unsatisfactory, non-canonical mistake.

However, a route without adversity is but a hollow, meaningless one, and Kurumi decides to playfully test our hero by effortlessly taking the entire school hostage. She then summons him to the rooftop in preparation for the most affecting scenes of the series.

In a passionate exchange with Shido, Kurumi reveals the nature of her supernatural powers and the reason she has been ceaselessly consuming others. If there was any remaining doubt in the watcher's mind about the righteousness of her actions, it now vanishes as they realise that she is justifiably utilising the less talented to extend her own superior existence. The mutual affection between the fated lovers reaches new heights as Kurumi expounds her desire to become one with Shido, and then rescues him from certain death as he throws himself from the building to test the strength of their bond.

After a literally gut-wrenching moment between the pair, Mana makes yet another unwanted interruption. On this occasion, however, Kurumi is no longer willing to entertain her foolishness and unleashes the most wondrous, the most elegant, the most insurmountably spectacular ensemble of techniques known to fiction, bringing her adversary to her knees within moments. Tohka and Origami arrive on the battlefield shortly afterwards but are similarly no match for the goddess(es), an eventuality highly symbolic of their futile struggle to win Shido's heart in the face of such an overpowering opponent.

Then Ifrit shows up and some other stuff happens.

Date A Kotori 10-12

Worst girl.

Date A Origami 13 (OVA)

2nd best girl. I retroactively retract anything negative I've ever said or implied about her, aside from her inferiority to best girl.

Final Ranking: Kurumi
I = Kurumi II = Kurumi III = Kurumi IV = Kurumi V = Kurumi VI = Kurumi VII = Kurumi VIII = Kurumi IX = Kurumi X = Kurumi XI = Kurumi XII
>(2^100) Origami > Yoshino > Tohka > Kotori
Final Comments: I liked that girl with the clock in her eye.
Series Rating: XII out of X.

Thoraxes

Elfen Lied 1

POP QUIZ TIME:

You find a naked, bloodied, uncommunicative, cognitively-impaired young girl washed up on a beach. Do you:

a.) immediately take her to a hospital and contact the police?

or

b.) immediately think MOMMY CAN WE KEEP HER? and take her home with you like a stray kitten?

Elfen Lied is a show so bad even I hate it.

And that's saying a lot.
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 5

Comedy mostly fell flat in this episode. Between the "I can't touch girls" comedy routine and the comparison of dating to files storage system, it was all around bad, barely any laughs. On the other hand, the anime has been making quite a convincing argument that cake isn't best thing so there is that.
sWXZxH4.gif
It's friggin' beautiful.

Based Anno launch scene.

It's really not. I can understand why people liked MoS despite it's glaring flaws. The action is nowhere near good enough to justify liking ASM2

But it is? Regardless of what you think of the movie, it doesn't change the fact that aggregate-wise, about 50% of critics liked it and 3/4 fans who rated it in Rotten Tomatoes and metacritic liked it. If we're looking only at aggregate opinions then yes, it's a very polarizing movie.

Imho this new Spiderman entries were more romantic focused than the first trilogy. I still enjoyed it as a movie mainly because the Spiderman banter makes it better for me. He has always been this snappy comeback superhero, glad to see it on screen. As to the McGuire vs Garfield thoughts, I think Garfield could've been less hipstery as Peter and more nerdy. But his Spiderman is so much better, and ultimately that's what matters. Toby was too nerdy and not witty, and Andrew is the opposite. Honestly they should've gone with Childish Gambino, he's the correct amount of cool and nerdy.

blessedbrian

Neo Member
Heh, my MAL tells me apparently I liked Elfen Lied a little bit!

Must have been one of those days. Probably something about watching lolis piss themselves like invalids! Who the hell knows.

Elfen Lied 5

aRNUEtS.png

the last ten seconds of the episode ahahahahahahahahahaha
My sides .. i can't laugh anymore ....
Ah ah ah ah

Date A Kurumi 7-9

I = Kurumi II = Kurumi III = Kurumi IV = Kurumi V = Kurumi VI = Kurumi VII = Kurumi VIII = Kurumi IX = Kurumi X = Kurumi XI = Kurumi XII
The only thing you got right was kurumi ranking place...
The important thing was done i guess.

Elfen Lied had Beach Cop though, who was best character. They should have just made the entire anime about him and his adventures cleaning up the beach.

sonicmj1

Spice and Wolf 4

Raising the stakes.

iPpiFC1PYYOgG.jpg

This episode tried pretty hard to communicate the character's moods almost solely through their body language. It didn't succeed all the time, but the small moments that do succeed are some satisfying storytelling.

The scheme seems to have something to do with
cornering the market on the currency by buying it up when the price falls
, but we haven't learned more at this point. This episode was more interested in telling us about Lawrence and Holo, bringing them closer together.

ixRysRAwf1NUP.jpg

Bow chicka bow wow~

I really like how their relationship is evolving. For sure, they each have their attractive qualities, but their growing intimacy comes more from a shared need for a companion they can count on than anything else. This episode really emphasized just how isolated Holo has been for so long, and even Lawrence's own dreams of owning a store arise from his desire to have a place he can call home and a community he can be a part of. That's a mutually beneficial transaction for now, but it's not the most stable one.

A lot of people don't really like the MC but he's bearable. Watch for the fights though as most of the characters are very meh .

Taku isnt meh!

I need to buy it on bd, after finishing it three times (once dubbed), just never made it around to the purchase. I miss so many fights they were so impressive.
tumblr_madswr4yuV1qdmk7ho2_500.gif

Jarmel

Banned
But it is? Regardless of what you think of the movie, it doesn't change the fact that aggregate-wise, about 50% of critics liked it and 3/4 fans who rated it in Rotten Tomatoes and metacritic liked it. If we're looking only at aggregate opinions then yes, it's a very polarizing movie.

Imho this new Spiderman entries were more romantic focused than the first trilogy. I still enjoyed it as a movie mainly because the Spiderman banter makes it better for me. He has always been this snappy comeback superhero, glad to see it on screen. As to the McGuire vs Garfield thoughts, I think Garfield could've been less hipstery as Peter and more nerdy. But his Spiderman is so much better, and ultimately that's what matters. Toby was too nerdy and not witty, and Andrew is the opposite. Honestly they should've gone with Childish Gambino, he's the correct amount of cool and nerdy.

Dude 50% on Rotten Tomatoes is awful. Spider-Man 3 had a higher rating and that's universally lambasted. It's Rotten on their review system. On Metacritic, it has a lower score than Iron Man 2. Also the viewer voter systems anywhere are pointless due to self selecting bias and recency bias.

The film is filled to the brim with useless scenes that due nothing to further or enhance the narrative. The rest of the stuff is half-assed as a result of this, leaving the movie as highly unfocused. A better director would have taken a chainsaw through most of this film and script.

Acosta

Date A Kurumi 7-9

9932825yxra2.jpg
9932826aeoq6.jpg

Time itself appears to freeze mid-flow as the goddess finally descends onto the stage. The ethereal chord accompanying her entrance is strongly evocative of her status as a heavenly being without equal, a truth reinforced by the immaculate, peerless grace with which she writes her name on the blackboard. Without hesitation
fearless of the consequences, immediately marking herself out as the boldest and most courageous of the cast.

Her opening gambit is to ask Shido to guide her around the school, a development I found pleasantly surprising and arousing, as it was typically her initial move in my fantasies. These feelings persist when she renders not only Shido, but also the entire Ratatoskr crew spellbound as she gradually and sensually raises her skirt at his request. Had it not been for the inferior girls' interruption, he would have been fully ensnared by her charms at this point. Her tantalising teaser as she exits leaves the viewer enamoured by her bewitching guile, and perplexed as to why she was not made the heroine of the franchise.

hahahaha, that was great, a fitting text for a goddess.

Jintor

Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie

T5D59lX.png

I had a couple of minutes in english for nostalgia then I realised actually it was terrible. So I switched to Japanese. It's astounding how much better it fits, at least partially because I think they change the OST as well. I mean, not that the English is terrible... it's just not right. Oddly heavy on the synth though, I think.

Anyway, Sakura 'wins' a trip to Hong Kong (by unconsciously magically cheating) and it's a great excuse to look beautiful and for Tomoyo to film her 24/7. There's something... really damn cool about the whole thing. Very beautiful backgrounds.

RP26wqm.png

NKBhUEb.png

Z6bg6Rx.png

Lol, Sakura don't give a damn about the Masquerade. Just jumping all over HK when she sees two birds wearing amulets. Haha, holy shit the screaming fangirl club... Li's sisters. Coldly recalculating when the two guys walk into the room...

QXFMZ0h.png

Man, Chinese magic doesn't fuck about, huh. Neither does Li's mum.

M4H84HK.png

53JmlDa.png

I've always loved the way Cardcaptors approaches the weird mystical stuff. It's never simply formalised or anything; it's always dreamlike, strange and vaguely threatening.

DsEvFzX.png

Then she's mistakenly kidnapped by a crazy waterbender.

Hy3Bnd5.png

Anyway a bunch of stuff happens and Sakura's totally the hero and gets a cool new costume and rescues everyone. But by golly it's fun! Surprisingly touching resolution, too.

Saint Seiya Omega 34-40

Eden works through his issues and sort of (kind of) helps Koga and the gang by taking on Virgo himself. Out of the current Golden Saints, I think I find Virgo the most interesting, since he isn't batshit insane like Taurus (who surprisingly came around to help Aries with the Marsian problem), Gemini or Cancer. I do like that Libra is still on their side, despite their initial impression of him back at the waterfalls in Goroho.

Of course, Medea must be getting desparate, since she's giving Gold Cloths to people who might not exactly deserve them (Tokisoda) or someone who can't use it properly (Sonia).

I finished this batch with Soma's fight against Sonia, which was tragic sure, but it was probably the most even fight in the entire arc.

Tenumi

Banned
Date A Live: 04

That was a fun episode, and Shido got to show off his badassness once again. Plus, the side characters got to show off a little as well. Looks like we end one arc only to jump into another, not to mention the little cliffhanger at the end.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry about that man. But the reaction of most was to copy/paste into google. And I did spoiler tag it. And the particular spoiler has been part of the comic mythos for ages now. Still, didn't expect somebody to click on a spoiler without knowing what it is. So sorry?

edit: at the very least I'll edit it the title to make sure it doesn't happen again, out of goodwill.

Its ok. It was just Spider Man. You didnt hurt anything.
I would advise to make it clear what youre spoiling in the future though.

Today's foreign language Seki-kun OP: Portugese.

These are pretty interesting though I wonder why this particular little series has this available.

Elfen Lied 4

Nice selective intelligence, guys. Meet a young girl who might be a runaway? I DUNNO, MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL THE POLICE. Meet a naked bloody girl who can only speak in cat noises? BOY SHE'D SURE LOOK NICE IN OUR LIVING ROOM.

I don't even know how to parse the fight in this episode. For two opponents that are supposedly well-acquanted with the nature and extent of each others' invisible noodle arm power levels, it was mostly a back-and-forth of combatants acting shocked and completely failing to anticipate each others' attacks until it was time for
Nyutwo to lose like an idiot

This is purely speculative, but if Nyu is simply going to be fending off wave after wave of attempts to retrieve her, this grinder of suffering that the show is shoving its cast through isn't going to work when virtually all of the characters are going to be disposable. It's all supposed to be this gut-wrenching tragedy or whatever, but if no one survives long enough to give us a reason to care that they've died, it's empty and exploitative. That's tragedy for tragedy's sake, where characters are constructed solely as a cheap delivery vehicle for a momentary shot of DEM FEELY FEELS, are discarded once the dose is administered, and another new dose trotted out in the last one's place. Given the reputation that this show has with AnimeGAF, I fear for the worst.

Elfen Lied is honestly not a bad enough show to rage about. I never saw the big deal. Its watchable and not special in any way but nobody ever got furiously angry or felt like it was the worst show ever when it was airing. That said to each their own.

Isshuukan / One Week Friends 3-5

VZXz2VW.gif

Man. This continues to be the best show of the season for me.

I thought a lot of things happened in episode 3 too fast, and certain scenes werent as impactful as they were in the manga but episode 4-5 got things back in the right direction. The anime adaptation for OWF is so much better than the source.

Saki is just absolutely adorable and that mall scene where they were trying out clothes pretty much destroyed me for how cute and adorable it was. WARNING: CUTE THING SPOILER Ugh. So cute.

Hase being a creepy jealous dude is enjoyable as is Shogo being a total bro. Eagerly waiting for next weeks episode.

An user on Reddit has been doing translations for the weekly entries by Fujimiya. Episode 3's entry is just too damn sweet.

This show might kill me when all is said and done.

Keep watching. I'd say there's enough surviving characters that give the viewer a reason to care.

Though I may be a bit biased since as far as I know, I'm the only animegaffer that legitimately unironically likes Elfen Lied.

I like it too. Enough to buy the DVDs back then. It was amusing.

Psycho-Pass 1

Damnit. Why can't I just get a cool future police procedural? Why you gotta be a weird sci-fi super anime thing?

Oh well, no point complaining about show's not being something it's not. Maybe I should just rewatch GiTS instead.

Watch something like Burn Up/Burn Up W.

Is their a reason for why Aniplex's bluray/ DVD releases are expensive.

Reverse importation prevention.

Accel World 1

Huh. Surprisingly okay. I mean, the main character is a pathetic dweeb, but his life's not quite so pathetic that I can't stand watching him. Perspective is fucked on so many of these shots though.

Accel World is pretty decent. I enjoy it a lot but the backgrounds were the subject of a lot of ridicule here for good reason. Otherwise its a pretty fun show with characters that mostly dont make you hate them, except one that appears designed for exactly such a reason. Kuroyukihime is an excellent goddess. Some other characters will surprise you as well. If this show was more popular it might have more figures, because the in-game character avatars were great.

Was it that bad because I haven't seen it yet.

Spiderman 1 was alright but I never actually watched 2 or 3. I got enough from one Spiderman movie. I think its the actors in it that just annoyed the shit out of me.

Maybe the corrupting influence of the Fedora hasn't reached Japan yet and that's just sweet and innocent. I blame GAF for my cynicism!

---

cm8sQYdl.jpg

Also, gaoism has gotten much more advanced these days.

I need to see this for the sheer amount of cute girls it seems to have.

Date A Kurumi 7-9

9932825yxra2.jpg
9932826aeoq6.jpg

Unfortunately, her irresistible beauty is such that she attracts the attention of some unscrupulous youths on her way home, but she handles the situation with characteristic aplomb and improves the gene pool of the populace at the same time. Given her tendency to target the more contemptible aspects of society, her 10,000+ body count implies that she has achieved far more for humanity than supposed visionaries such as Light Yagami ever managed.

Despite this evident truth, Mana's closed-mindedness renders her unable to appreciate the merit of Kurumi's actions, and following a brief confrontation she viciously murders Kurumi in a fit of prejudiced rage. Fortunately, it transpires that this event is merely a vehicle to emphasise the purported prodigy's ineffectiveness, as the 'corpse' reappears the following day with her enchanting visage intact.

Some slight suspension of disbelief is required at the episode's end, as Origami incredulously does not enjoy being molested by Kurumi and even looks quite fearful.

9932828fmxb2.jpg
99328270acl8.jpg

Understandably by this point, Shido can restrain himself no longer and confesses to Kurumi his undying desire to accompany her on a date. Despairingly, due to some underhanded trickery from the lesser girls, he is then cruelly forced to commit to going out with Tohka and Origami at the same time. Although his vehement, consuming grief upon realising he will not be spending the day entirely in Kurumi's company is not overtly shown, it is clear from his subconscious gestures that this is his true state of mind.

The date itself arrives and, again consequent to Tohka's deviousness, he keeps Kurumi waiting past their scheduled meeting time, a misdemeanour that she forgives with her saintly understanding and generosity. Overcome by her kindness, he candidly reveals his genuine feelings to her - he wishes to take her to a lingerie shop and have her model luxury undergarments. This revelation provides a valuable insight into Shido's lustful, irrepressible longing for the goddess. A further suspension of disbelief becomes necessary when Kurumi changes into the aforementioned lingerie and neither Shido nor anyone else within a 5 mile radius falls to their knees and professes their servitude to her.

After some dilly-dallying with insignificant characters, Kurumi's next moments reinforce her proactive, socially concerned nature as she encounters another gathering of miscreants torturing a small cat with pellet guns.
In an inspired moment of moral wisdom, she decides to impress upon them the error of their ways by painting bloody bulls-eyes on their chests and turning them into swiss cheese with her own firearms. Shido comes across the scene but, unfortunately, completely misinterprets Kurumi's blameless actions and then decides to tactlessly vomit everywhere. She brings him close to her in a tender, compassionate manner to reassure him that his fear is misplaced, but frustratingly their reconciliation is cut short by a cowardly surprise attack from Mana. The episode concludes with a camera pan of the interloper's back half, a deliberate reflection on how the audience wants nothing more than to see the back of her by this point.

99328327nxl2.jpg
9932833efknn.jpg

In a fitting testament to her brash, violent, vacuous personality, Mana yet again brutally and unjustifiably murders Kurumi. The latter's dying words of affection towards Shido despite her pitiable circumstances further emphasise the kindliness of her spirit.

But of course, Kurumi's magnificence transcends even death and she materialises at school the following day as if her tragic passing had not occurred. Shido, driven by his heartfelt desire to prevent such an embodiment of perfection from perishing in front of his eyes again, affirms that he will protect her from his sibling's vindictive, homicidal rampages. It is here that the viewer fully understands that Kurumi is indeed the predestined True Route and that any other outcome is nothing more than an unsatisfactory, non-canonical mistake.

However, a route without adversity is but a hollow, meaningless one, and Kurumi decides to playfully test our hero by effortlessly taking the entire school hostage. She then summons him to the rooftop in preparation for the most affecting scenes of the series.

In a passionate exchange with Shido, Kurumi reveals the nature of her supernatural powers and the reason she has been ceaselessly consuming others. If there was any remaining doubt in the watcher's mind about the righteousness of her actions, it now vanishes as they realise that she is justifiably utilising the less talented to extend her own superior existence. The mutual affection between the fated lovers reaches new heights as Kurumi expounds her desire to become one with Shido, and then rescues him from certain death as he throws himself from the building to test the strength of their bond.

After a literally gut-wrenching moment between the pair, Mana makes yet another unwanted interruption. On this occasion, however, Kurumi is no longer willing to entertain her foolishness and unleashes the most wondrous, the most elegant, the most insurmountably spectacular ensemble of techniques known to fiction, bringing her adversary to her knees within moments. Tohka and Origami arrive on the battlefield shortly afterwards but are similarly no match for the goddess(es), an eventuality highly symbolic of their futile struggle to win Shido's heart in the face of such an overpowering opponent.

Then Ifrit shows up and some other stuff happens.

I see youve finally come around :D
Of course you knew the best girl already and the show just solidified the fact. I wonder how your brain didnt explode when you saw Kurumi
in lingerie
But yes shes the best, shes basically immortal, she goes yandere on people, she has excellent styling sense, and she just lords over everyone else beneath her from the goddess cloud.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie

T5D59lX.png

I had a couple of minutes in english for nostalgia then I realised actually it was terrible. So I switched to Japanese. It's astounding how much better it fits, at least partially because I think they change the OST as well. I mean, not that the English is terrible... it's just not right. Oddly heavy on the synth though, I think.

Anyway, Sakura 'wins' a trip to Hong Kong (by unconsciously magically cheating) and it's a great excuse to look beautiful and for Tomoyo to film her 24/7. There's something... really damn cool about the whole thing. Very beautiful backgrounds.

RP26wqm.png

NKBhUEb.png

Z6bg6Rx.png

Lol, Sakura don't give a damn about the Masquerade. Just jumping all over HK when she sees two birds wearing amulets. Haha, holy shit the screaming fangirl club... Li's sisters. Coldly recalculating when the two guys walk into the room...

QXFMZ0h.png

Man, Chinese magic doesn't fuck about, huh. Neither does Li's mum.

M4H84HK.png

53JmlDa.png

I've always loved the way Cardcaptors approaches the weird mystical stuff. It's never simply formalised or anything; it's always dreamlike, strange and vaguely threatening.

DsEvFzX.png

Then she's mistakenly kidnapped by a crazy waterbender.

Hy3Bnd5.png

Anyway a bunch of stuff happens and Sakura's totally the hero and gets a cool new costume and rescues everyone. But by golly it's fun! Surprisingly touching resolution, too.

The CCS movie did have some seriously amazing artwork, both animation and art backgrounds.

I need to rewatch the first movie, I haven't watched it in a long time. Too long.

Link Man

Banned
The Eccentric Family 2

So yeah, this show is a bit strange with gender. I guess when you're a shapeshifter, it doesn't matter quite as much.

Interesting that tanuki can alter their size so wildly as well, but I'm wondering if it's all illusion like fox magic, or if they actually take on the physical properties of the species they're imitating. Like, if they transform into a bird, would they be able to fly?

The characters are all fun, except for the shithead twins, of course.

Oreca Battle Episode 5

Loved the battle against Heat the flame summoner, Fire is definitely not right in the head sometimes though.

I hadnt noticed that Bahn was in the opening, I guess if I had paid attention then the Bahn plot an episode ago wouldnt have been so surprising.

Joe Molotov

Date A Kurumi 7-9

9932825yxra2.jpg
9932826aeoq6.jpg

9932828fmxb2.jpg
99328270acl8.jpg

99328327nxl2.jpg
9932833efknn.jpg

6VIMoI6.gif

Mr.Jeff

Elfen Lied 3
Cousin-chan isolates herself from Kouta because he's such a hentai baka, and, worst of all, doesn't remember a festival they went to together as kids. What a fucking lowlife, not obsessing over her after eight years of no contact. This gives her time to ruminate alone on her fond memories of their time together as children, and she begins to realize the true nature of her feelings, yes, those feelings, toward Kouta. This culminates in a heart-to-heart discussion at the end of the episode between the two where they resolve their differences and..........fuck, just look at the images below.
Oh man, rereading the series through your thoughts really rams how stupid this plot point becomes later on.
All the horrible memories flooding on back to me. I wonder if everyone is fooled by the OP?

Am I horrible person to want you to keep watching this series purely for your reactions to it?

Mr.Jeff

This.
It really wasnt an awful series by the standards of what animegaf views as truly awful.
From what I recall, either due to lack of current material or due to season restrictions, they cut out some of the source material and made the anime it's own beast. Probably for the best since one of the new characters introduced had a medical problem where she kept wetting herself.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
From what I recall, either due to lack of current material or due to season restrictions, they cut out some of the source material and made the anime it's own beast. Probably for the best since one of the new characters introduced had a medical problem where she kept wetting herself.

Diaper girl is hard to forget. Also that dumb ending in the manga.

Elfen Lied is, to this day, the only anime I've ever dropped 3 episodes in. I usually like finishing what I start, especially if it's short, and I can handle bad things (I even enjoy bad things), but Elfen Lied just didn't click with me. At all.

cajunator

Banned

Thats good because the one time Nyuu did it was too much.

You're making me want to stick another episode of that on you know.

:D

Midonin

Shuffle! 19-21

Much like School Days, I knew who went crazy (Kaede) and the vague idea of why she went crazy, but there's something to be said for seeing things in context. That dead-eyed stare she gave when cooking nothing was effectively creepy. In this span of three episodes, it looks like things may have resolved, but I also have three/four episodes left to go, so I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. Kaede was always too perfect, and while some of her backstory was hinted at earlier, seeing the story use it to push things forward makes the Primula/Lycoris storyline appear tame. Unlike School Days, it's neither as violent nor as sexual (so far), but the mood of the show has been effectively turned over. With the rain filter applied, even the super bright color palette can look washed out and nearly gray.

The sunset confession to Asa was nice, but this is just as much Kaede's story. I still find it interesting that a story about demons and gods bases its climax on the only two regular humans of the cast. But both of them have illnesses - mental and physical - to such a degree that the demons and gods' problems look less problematic in comparison.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Probably hasnt. Or is very particular about what they watch.

The latter is often how I am sadly. And sadly I don't always have an exact formula for what does/doesn't work for me. People have told me "It's easy, you watch anything that's cute" yet, for example, to this day I've not watched Hidamari Sketch. I don't know why, but something just keeps pushing me away from it and I can't put my finger on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom