• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World new Video

ivysaur12 said:
I still can't believe that they used motion capture on Dawn of the New World and not Vespiera. Not like I'm complaining, but Vesperia is the mainline Tales and DTNW is just a side-story.

Hmm...a side-story where the main protagonist of the predecessor entry is a major villan in a story that takes place sometime after the last entry. Usually I see side stories as events occuring the same time as the main story. I'll need to play the game to find the truth to that.

Datschge

Just a note that I got confirmation that ToS-R is indeed mainly developed by Namco Tales Studio. As assumed before it's a mix of old (like Kasutoshi Sato who was last seen in ToS GC is now this game's main programmer) and totally new staff, so it may indeed be/become the third team ("Team Ratatosk"?). Consequently the composers/arrangers are Sakuraba and Tamura again. Supporting developer was Mineloader (which also participated in TotA and ported ToP PSP) besides some NBGI staff as usual. I'm in the progress of transcribing the staff list, will put it on my site once done so and may report again if there's something else noteworthy.

Sagitario

Datschge said:
Just a note that I got confirmation that ToS-R is indeed mainly developed by Namco Tales Studio. As assumed before it's a mix of old (like Kasutoshi Sato who was last seen in ToS GC is now this game's main programmer) and totally new staff, so it may indeed be/become the third team ("Team Ratatosk"?). Consequently the composers/arrangers are Sakuraba and Tamura again. Supporting developer was Mineloader (which also participated in TotA and ported ToP PSP) besides some NBGI staff as usual. I'm in the progress of transcribing the staff list, will put it on my site once done so and may report again if there's something else noteworthy.

YAY! I consider that really good news! :D

Thanks Datschge :) ...

IceIpor

I really do love the motion capture scenes.
It makes the game much more interesting and emotionally captivating than TotA or ToS ever was.

I hope they dub it well when it comes over to NA... especially the scenes like when
Marta beats up Colette

Now it's time to prevent spoiling myself more than I already have.

GamerSoul

IceIpor said:
It makes the game much more interesting and emotionally captivating than TotA or ToS ever was.

I hope they dub it well when it comes over to NA... especially the scenes like when
Marta beats up Colette

Now it's time to prevent spoiling myself more than I already have.

I'm trying not to spoil myself a lot story-wise but I really want to see the battles. Would it kill someone to try using Marta in battle?

IceIpor

GamerSoul said:
I'm trying not to spoil myself a lot story-wise but I really want to see the battles. Would it kill someone to try using Marta in battle?

Considering the demography of a somewhat stereotypic series, most players would be guys...

It would demean them too much too use a girl/healer, so you probably won't see someone upload a good video of her until a few days after the release.

mugwhump

I'm really glad they're using mocap for cutscenes. One of the things that made ToS's cutscenes so bad was the terrible animation, so hopefully they'll be better this time.

IceIpor said:

Marta beats up Colette
That sounds awesome. I'm sure jiggy will like it.

Arde5643

Threi said:
never played a tales game but damn i need a rpg.

would you recommend for a chrono trigger/cross fan?
Both Chrono Trigger and Tales have awesome-tastic battle systems, so there.

Even better, Tales is one of the RPGs with the best battle systems - ever.

ivysaur12

Banned
Datschge said:

Woooohooo!

Combine

Banned
Datschge said:

Glad to hear it. Finally can put that issue to rest with some saying this game was just a "side story" or "half-hearted attempt".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mejilan said:
What's this? Things looking up for this "throw-away spin-off" project, then?

Rock on!
where's ethelred when this thread needs him..

ivysaur12

Banned
Combine said:
Glad to hear it. Finally can put that issue to rest with some saying this game was just a "side story" or "half-hearted attempt".

It is a spin-off considering the gameplay changes. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Why is this suddenly looking better to me than Vesperia? After the awful Vesperia demo (no mocap? Seriously?) and graphics that seem to be dumbed down from Eternal Sonata, this game is looking better and better for me. I fear of a Tales overload and not beating either game though, but I will definitely get them as soon as they reach US. Day one... and I am more hyped for this than Vesperia now.

ivysaur12

Banned
Relix said:
Why is this suddenly looking better to me than Vesperia? After the awful Vesperia demo (no mocap? Seriously?) and graphics that seem to be dumbed down from Eternal Sonata, this game is looking better and better for me. I fear of a Tales overload and not beating either game though, but I will definitely get them as soon as they reach US. Day one... and I am more hyped for this than Vesperia now.

I sort of agree, but I'm most excited about DTNW because of the gameplay changes. I will not be using the ToS characters unless I have to.

Jiggy

GamerSoul said:
This one shows why Alice is ...well Alice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ot5GPMC6u58
Only one brief appearance and Alice is already a better villain than Tales of Symphonia's.

mugwhump said:
I assumed it was his fanwishes speaking rather than knowledge--but even if not, I actually would like such a scene.
Marta
is pretty well positioned to potentially become my second or third favorite Symphonia-universe character, at least from the looks of things in the intro, so seeing
her
go one-on-one with
the other "her" being discussed in this context (<_<)
would be totally awesome. :O

Anyway, I think I'll be backing out of here to avoid potential spoilers. D: Not that I care too much about plot, but for just a little while longer I want to be able to pretend that Lloyd truly has gone evil and that I'll get to kill him, even though I know there's zero chance of that being true. ;_;

Joule

Wow Decus is going to be such a hilarious recurring villain. Since Alice has beasts with her I imagine her fights will be as fun as the Arietta fights in ToA with multi play.

----

Battle-wise the speed looks perfect and the visuals/art direction for the various skills impressive. Very different impression compared to ToV's slower feel and less impressive skills (with exception to spells which are simply ace).

jrricky

Banned
Oh snap. This game is fully mocapped?

Plus the skits are all voiced.

Plus gameplay looks friggin awesome.

September needs to come now.

Jiggy

jrricky said:
September needs to come now.
Wait, do we have a solid English release date? If this game makes September, I just might explode from the concept of Dragon Quest IV, Kirby Super Star Ultra, and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW in a single month... That would account for three of my four most-anticipated games, and it's crazy enough to me that two of them are already definites for that month.

IceIpor

mugwhump said:

The beating isn't as bad as I made it out to be. It's more of a... "I hate you" thing. I was just being vague to avoid spoiling the scene completely.

One comparison that I would make between Vesperia and Ratatosk is that while Vesperia is like playing/watching an anime (well animated complex scenes at certain points, while having stiff non-dynamic scenes inbetween)... Ratatosk is sort of like watching a drama with scripted/choreographed screens (obviously).

It looks a little more life-like, at least to me.

Sagitario

The expressions of the characters during the Zelos introduction are funny :lol ...

And the boss battle music was really cool, I'm digging it :D ... [I still don't like the menu bips]...

Time to stop watching videos... I don't want to spoil myself too much [thankfully I don't remember my Nico password otherwise I'd have watched that spoilerific video]...

Jiggy37 said:
Wait, do we have a solid English release date? If this game makes September, I just might explode from the concept of Dragon Quest IV, Kirby Super Star Ultra, and Tales of Symphonia: DotNW in a single month... That would account for three of my four most-anticipated games, and it's crazy enough to me that two of them are already definites for that month.

The retailers have the game for a November release...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
September was the initial idea for a US release, I *think* it was mentioned as a possible date in Nintendo Power many months ago.

Rpgmonkey

I was bored, so I spoiled the story for myself. >_>

I don't really like the story and the ending.

The gameplay looks fun though (though a bit dull around the first couple of hours), and I like the cut-ins (Emil's Hi Ougi is boring and looks kinda cheaply done to me though).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mejilan said:
I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean, but ethel quit GAF. :)
he would've explained to you in details why this game is nothing but an inferior spin-off. now with him gone this thread can drown in its own pool of ignorance.

Prax

Haha, I always had optimistic hopes for this games. It looks like it'll turn out decent. I remember ethel trying to "correct" me when I used to refer to it as TOS2. What a jerk. XD

For some reason, the characters for DotNW seem a lot more fun than Vesperia's, but maybe that's because I'm getting a little sick of cool and detached characters (or Yuri reminds me too much of FE4's Shannon, and I just don't like Estelle).

Thanks to IceIpor though, I already got spoiled quite a bit... :(

i dont want to see to much or i spoil it for myself but then it take so long for it to come out in uk (if at all) i forget about what i see

*fingers cross it will come over to pal areas*

Datschge said:

Wow, this game just went further up on my must buy list.

One thing's for sure, the confirmation of who is working on this game is a relief because I always felt it looked well above average.

Datschge

The person who's director and lead planner for this game (and as such is likely the head of "Team Ratatosk" similarly to Hasegawa of Team Symphonia), Akihiro Arahori (&#33618;&#22528; &#26126;&#24344;), has directed Kagero 2 in 2005. May explain why the game has plenty (if only implied) violence as far as I can see from clips so far.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, not really going into total media blackout, just saw some videos and the motion capture gave some really sweet results. I'm trying to stay clear of major stuff, so please guys, spoiler tags are appreciated.

Farore said:
Your old icon was better...
Just testing some stuff, I'll probably change it back later. :)

Edit: done.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Relix said:
After the awful Vesperia demo (no mocap? Seriously?)
Not that you could tell much from that short demo. We'll have to see from more lengthy cutscenes in the final product.

Relix said:
And graphics that seem to be dumbed down from Eternal Sonata
The cel-shading style is different from Eternal Sonata. It's a simpler style, so it may not seem as impressive, but the graphics themselves are not any worse than ES.

There's definitely more reason to be excited for this game than Vesperia, but not for the reasons you're mentioning.

GamerSoul

IceIpor said:
Considering the demography of a somewhat stereotypic series, most players would be guys...

It would demean them too much too use a girl/healer, so you probably won't see someone upload a good video of her until a few days after the release.

:lol Heh, true, true but so far I haven't seen anyone take advantage of Emil's aerial prowess and would I like to see more variety. But then again, it is very early so it's wishful thinking and i'm grateful their sharing their first playthrough.

kiryogi said:

:lol So random good.....

icecream said:
Not that you could tell much from that short demo. We'll have to see from more lengthy cutscenes in the final product.

The cel-shading style is different from Eternal Sonata. It's a simpler style, so it may not seem as impressive, but the graphics themselves are not any worse than ES.

There's definitely more reason to be excited for this game than Vesperia, but not for the reasons you're mentioning.

Yea that's another thing that concerns the hell out of me about Vesperia. What's with the Wii title having mo cap and the 360 title not having or seemingly not having any?

We have seen far less of Vesperia so maybe that's all there is to it, but the cutscenes I've seen in this game so far seem more elaborate, but then we haven't seen any of the good stuff from Vesperia yet. Plus, considering the team involved with Vesperia maybe I'm worried for no reason at all.

icecream

Public Health Threat
CowboyAstronaut said:
Yea that's another thing that concerns the hell out of me about Vesperia. What's with the Wii title having mo cap and the 360 title not having or seemingly not having any?
Perhaps Vesperia doesn't need it? For a game cutscene that's trying to model anime and not real life, maybe it wasn't as necessary during the allocation of resources to things such as HD modeling and animation.

To me a game like Idolm@ster requires motion capturing. Not so much an RPG cutscene.

icecream said:
Perhaps Vesperia doesn't need it? For a game cutscene that's trying to model anime and not real life, perhaps it wasn't as necessary during the allocation of resources to things such as HD modeling and animation.

To me a game like Idolm@ster requires motion capturing. Not so much an RPG cutscene.

Even Anime has to look properly expressive and not end up looking too stiff.

If it isn't there I probably wont care either way, but it definitely helps give that little extra something special to the presentation. No doubt there. I disagree that it isn't needed. It surely is, but even as I say this we've seen so little and I don't want to derail too much. This thread is about Dawn of the New World :)

Top Bottom