• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Elgato HD60 leaked, $179.99 and exclusive to Best Buy

MildSoss

I have a question, they have the recommended settings for this thing and I'm wondering if that's just for streaming. Would the card itself be able to handle recording from a console without much help from a pc?

Just want to tell you that when you write MB/s, it means Megabytes, when in actuality you are talking about Megabits, (Mb/s, notice the small b). Sorry for pointing it out it's just a bit confusing to keep reading Megabytes even though you mean Megabits.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. My bad on that. Major thanks for the info. :)

Mystic654

I have a question, they have the recommended settings for this thing and I'm wondering if that's just for streaming. Would the card itself be able to handle recording from a console without much help from a pc?

From What I recall elgato uses CPU for most of the processing. If you don't meet the min spec, your going have a bad experience.

My older PC(which is an i7) met all the specs it still has problems recording. Picture keeps flickering.

I suggest looking into HD-PVR 2 since it uses very little PC resources.

If you want to go portable HD-Rocket or Avermedia Live Gamer portable will do the job too.

Recording is i5 and streaming is i7. I have an i5 and I can easily record 1080/60fps with no problems. The weird part is that I can livestream in 720p/60fps with no problem, so it's a hit or miss.

Smokey

Shadow what settings do you use for audio in OBS? I did a few test streams yesterday using it and there was audio lag. When I stream directly from the Elgato I don't have that problem. Has to be something in OBS.

SerTapTap

Shadow what settings do you use for audio in OBS? I did a few test streams yesterday using it and there was audio lag. When I stream directly from the Elgato I don't have that problem. Has to be something in OBS.

Is your voice coming before the game audio, which is in-sync with the visuals? Old Elgato did this too. You have to add delay to only the mic track, it's somewhere in the main OBS settings, quite annoying. If you watch the preview in the Game Capture app you should notice it's delayed a bit--this is where the audio desync is coming from.

Smokey

Is your voice coming before the game audio, which is in-sync with the visuals? Old Elgato did this too. You have to add delay to only the mic track, it's somewhere in the main OBS settings, quite annoying. If you watch the preview in the Game Capture app you should notice it's delayed a bit--this is where the audio desync is coming from.

No. The actual audio of the game lags behind what is happening on screen by 3-5 seconds.

Has the lag been addressed yet?

How is voice sync from webcams? I read some complaints about this. Does anyone know if or how you can separate the in game chat from the game sound etc?

Will it capture 5.1 for recording if you are not streaming?

DocSeuss

Quote from my support email to Elgato.

Hey, so I did some more trouble shooting, and I found the problem. The issue appears to come from my Onkyo sound system (here's a link for details).

When I plug directly from console to HD60 to television, no issues. When I go from console to the Onkyo amplifier to the HD60 to the television, then I start to experience major connection issues up to and including audio buzzing, video not displaying at all (the software asks if the cable is even connected). This issue also happens if I go from the console to the HD60 to the Onkyo to the television. Essentially, if the Onkyo is connected in any way, I experience severe issues.

This is a problem, as I'd like to be able to listen to my sound system while I'm playing the game.

I had hoped to have a setup like this: PC + consoles under TV, HD60 connected to PC for recording, consoles connected to Onkyo, with the ability to switch freely between them and record footage at any time, reducing my need to constantly change HDMI cables from various consoles to the elgato.

What can I do?

Any ideas, guys? It's annoying having to switch cables all the time, and I'm worried I'll break something/have to replace it with frequent changing.

My streams are are having that issue as well. I have yet to find out how to fix the 3-5 second lag, but I do know that the page from OBS about the Elgato mentioned adjusting the ms lag by + or -50 to max it more perfect. I'll keep messing with it and see what I can find out.

Son Of D

Is the 60FPS worth paying the extra £34 that Amazon UK are asking? Or are there other perks of getting the HD60? I only have a PS3 and Wii U in terms of consoles so any PS4/Xbox One functions won't be of use to me.

My streams are are having that issue as well. I have yet to find out how to fix the 3-5 second lag, but I do know that the page from OBS about the Elgato mentioned adjusting the ms lag by + or -50 to max it more perfect. I'll keep messing with it and see what I can find out.

Hmm... Try a different USB port, and check where in the chain it is, make sure it is in the "first" USB (don't ask me which it is lol), and make sure you don't go through a hub. While I only had issue with webcam delay, changing the USB ports helped. Please note that I have an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable, so this suggestion might not help you.

@Smokey, you can try this as well.

Is the 60FPS worth paying the extra £34 that Amazon UK are asking? Or are there other perks of getting the HD60? I only have a PS3 and Wii U in terms of consoles so any PS4/Xbox One functions won't be of use to me.

For PS3 & Wii, you are better off with the regular Elgato HD. No use getting the HD60 if you can't utilize all of the functions.

Hmm... Try a different USB port, and check where in the chain it is, make sure it is in the "first" USB (don't ask me which it is lol), and make sure you don't go through a hub. While I only had issue with webcam delay, changing the USB ports helped. Please note that I have an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable, so this suggestion might not help you.

I'll see what I can do and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Mystic654

Quick Question:

Does it matter what framerate I record at with HD60? With some games being 30FPS would it cause any problem? Like bad motion/choppy playback or doesn't it matter what FPS I record at?

Sorry for newbie question never owed Elgato capture device.

-------

Whats up with .ts splitting in the library folder. Why not record entire clip with one file. Only Elgato & Avermedia portable does this. Avermedia does it due to file system of the SD card. Not sure why Elgato does it when most have NTFS formatted harddrive.

Quick Question:

Does it matter what framerate I record at with HD60? With some games being 30FPS would it cause any problem? Like bad motion/choppy playback or doesn't it matter what FPS I record at?

Sorry for newbie question never owed Elgato capture device.

-------

Whats up with .ts splitting in the library folder. Why not record entire clip with one file. Only Elgato & Avermedia portable does this. Avermedia does it due to file system of the SD card. Not sure why Elgato does it when most have NTFS formatted harddrive.

Recording native frame rate is usually the best but it depends if you are talking about streaming or direct upload. For direct uploads, YouTube will convert your footage to 30fps regardless of the resolution for now(and it will be worse, see shadowkingpins posts), so just stick to 30fps even if the game is 60fps. For streaming it's 720P 60fps or 1080P 30fps, not sure if some partnered streams can go higher on twitch.

nynt9

I can't go through the thread on mobile but can someone tell me if I can view the game on the PC screen as its being streamed without massive lag? So can I essentially play a game through this on my computer without looking at the TV?

Recording native frame rate is usually the best but it depends if you are talking about streaming or direct upload. For direct uploads, YouTube will convert your footage to 30fps regardless of the resolution for now(and it will be worse, see shadowkingpins posts), so just stick to 30fps even if the game is 60fps. For streaming it's 720P 60fps or 1080P 30fps, not sure if some partnered streams can go higher on twitch.

For some reason, there are benefits to quality and options when you are partnered with Twitch. :(

SerTapTap

I can't go through the thread on mobile but can someone tell me if I can view the game on the PC screen as its being streamed without massive lag? So can I essentially play a game through this on my computer without looking at the TV?

There is less lag than prior models but this is definitely not a device to play games through a capture window. I use a second monitor and an HDMI splitter for this BTW, it works great. Only annoyance is switching between HDMI and DVI inputs on the monitor to use it as a console/third monitor.

Mystic654

You would need a USB 3.0 device like Extreme Cap U3 from Avermedia.

Can anyone here do me a favor and see if you can hear the game audio while recording with Live Commentary turned on? I have the dimming audio box unchecked and I don't hear anything, but the audio is perfect in the recording. Elgato thinks I am crazy. Make sure to have your headphones plugged into your PC when you do this.

Mystic654

ExtremeCap U3 or Elgato 60?

I wanna buy one of them

I had both. ExtremeCap software did nothing but crash or give me no signal. If you want to record uncompressed. You better have some very impressive hardware.

I currently use Elgato, much better in my opinion.

Voror

Not sure what to go with since I've been looking into getting one to capture and edit. This new one is nice but from what I understand it can't capture PS3 footage whereas the previous version can.

Granted, there probably won't be too many games I'd capture from a PS3 but the option would be not.

Mystic654

Not sure what to go with since I've been looking into getting one to capture and edit. This new one is nice but from what I understand it can't capture PS3 footage whereas the previous version can.

Granted, there probably won't be too many games I'd capture from a PS3 but the option would be not.

You can strip out the HDCP with the correct HDMI splitter. I never had a problem recording via HDMI from PS3.

Theirs also Component to HDMI.

I plan to use this thing mostly for PS4 capture, but can I also capture TV shows with it so I can back them up to my HDD and watch them whenever I want? I kind of have a feeling the networks probably implement some kind of copyright protection so I can't do that, even though it's just for my personal use. :/

Mystic654

I plan to use this thing mostly for PS4 capture, but can I also capture TV shows with it so I can back them up to my HDD and watch them whenever I want? I kind of have a feeling the networks probably implement some kind of copyright protection so I can't do that, even though it's just for my personal use. :/

It changes from provider to provider. With mine PPV is encrypted with HDCP. You can get around it if you know how. The rest is clean.

You will be recording in either 1080i30 or 720p60. Where most games will be 60fps with 1080 res if game is 60fps or not.

Caayn

Anybody know how to change the screenshot directory? I don't want to have my desktop full of screenshots after each session :(

Caayn

Hope that Elgato is going to fix the screenshot from clip function. Most of the times the screenshot is a few frames off from the frame that is being showed. And also fix the screenshot quality. Screenshot from a live input seem to have a lower IQ than when I take them from an uncompressed recording.

Here's an example:
Direct capture with Elgato software said:
knackdcaaynscreenshotgouh7.png
Capture from lossy recording with Elgato software said:
Capture from lossy recording with CCCP said:
PS4 share button: USB export said:

Voror

Curious of anyone has been having a similar issue to me. I can get the image to show up on the capture software but not on the television I'm using.

I've looked over the troubleshooting section on their site regarding this but none of the possible issues they described seem to be the case with me. I've tried a different television as well with no luck.

Caayn

Just e-mailed support about the low quality when using Elgato's own tools and that third party software delivers a much higher quality when using the HD60.

Wonder if they'll respond.

Caayn

Really late, but I got a reply from Elgato. At first they thought I was contacting for a problem with my unit >.>

The support person told me that (s)he would pass it along to tech, but haven't heard anything since and there's been zero updates since. So I've got no hope that Elgato will ever fix this :(

Coins

Banned
So I picked up the new Elgato device a couple days ago for twitch. I read a lot of reviews and somehow I missed the delay problem. Does anyone stream to twitch with this with no problems or should I just return it? I cannot eliminate the audio delay.

Top Bottom