• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2015 |OT| All of our teams suck!

MechDX

Browns requested permission for OC interviews w/ Cowboys OC Bill Callahan and DAL asst Scott Linehan, per source. Jags requested Callahan.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/01/09/Media/NFL-local.aspx

JN3x1S8.png

All dem Chickens lifelongs.

I know we talked about this earlier, but I was just catching up. I looked back at the Ravens first round draft history, and, unsurprisingly, it was really solid. There's a few whiffs in there for sure though.

1996- Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis
1997-Peter Boulware
1998- Duane Starks
1999- Chris McAlister
2000- Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor
2001- Todd Heap
2002- Ed Reed
2003- Terrell Suggs, Kyle Boller
2004- No pick, but it was basically the Kyle Boller pick
2005- Mark Clayton
2006- Haloti Ngata
2007- Ben Grubbs
2008- Joe Flacco
2009- Michael Oher
2010- Traded out of first after Dallas traded in front and took Dez. Ended up drafting Sergio Kindle right between the Gronk and Lamarr Houston picks. Ugh
2011- Jimmy Smith
2012- Traded out of first and took Courtney Upshaw.
2013- Matt Elam
2014- CJ Mosley

In Ozzie we trust. Dude can draft.

Thank fuck bill traded up to stop you guys from getting gronk.

I don't remember well enough if we were going to take Gronk there, but they were definitely planning on taking Dez until Dallas traded in front to take him. To think they missed on both Dez and Gronk in one draft like that is rough.

Bread

Banned
I don't remember well enough if we were going to take Gronk there, but they were definitely planning on taking Dez until Dallas traded in front to take him. To think they missed on both Dez and Gronk in one draft like that is rough.
Well I know Bill traded to the spot to make sure you guys didn't get him. Maybe I'm getting him mixed up with Hightower though, because I think he jumped their pick to take him too.

Pimpwerx

Hey Phins fans, did we extend Philbin yet? What are the odds we make a run at Foxy? I really, really think he's a good coach. He won in the playoffs with Tebow as QB. Threw out his original offense to accommodate the worst QB in the league. This seems like the best coaching option we'll find this year or next. Hickey and Tannenbaum need to get on this. PEACE.

Jarnet87

Hey Phins fans, did we extend Philbin yet? What are the odds we make a run at Foxy? I really, really think he's a good coach. He won in the playoffs with Tebow as QB. Threw out his original offense to accommodate the worst QB in the league. This seems like the best coaching option we'll find this year or next. Hickey and Tannenbaum need to get on this. PEACE.

They aren't gonna fire Philbin when Ross has already committed to him next year. Ross doesn't like being made to look like a fool. Shame he doesn't realize he is a fool and the organization is a laughing stock. Were talking about a guy who gave Sparano an extension just because it got out he was looking to hire Harbaugh. He would of been better off firing Sparano or just letting him coach that last year, and he would be better off going back on his word and fire Philbin. But he wont.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been doing these for Lions pre-season, but might as well do a retrospective.

Playoffs twice in four years. And two one and dones. Yet 11-5 and the playoffs for Caldwell's first season.

Free Agent Rookie Injured Reserve Cut during season

QB: Stafford
WR: Megatron, Tate, Jones, Fuller, Broyles
RB: Bush, Bell, Riddick, Owens
TE: Pettigrew, Ebron, Fauria
RT: Hilliard, Waddle, Lucas
RG: Warford
C: Raiola, Swanson
LG: Sims
LT: Reiff

The offensive line, despite having ranked 8th last year sure underperformed. The line (and Stafford's holding onto the ball longer than in previous years) gave up an unusually high 43 sacks compared to last years 23. Raiola, in addition to stomping like a jerk, was the worst lineman and Swanson performed just fine against the Packers during his suspension. Hopefully the end of the road and a new beginning. Tate continued his upward climb and filled in perfectly when Megatron was out ailing. No one stepped up behind those two, however. The TEs were non-existent this year. Hurray for a top 10 pick! Bell plowed through people the Chronicles of Riddick caught some balls. Stafford turned over less and had a middle of the road completion rate that was generally uninspiring but having Dan Orvlosky behind him kept any of us Lions fans for asking for a replacement.

DE: Ansah, Jones, Johnson, Taylor, Webster
DT: Suh, Fairley, Mosley, Fluellen, Reid
MLB: Tulloch, Whitehead
OLB: Levy, Van Noy, Palmer
CB: Slay, Mathis, Lawson, Bentley, random dude that a hobbled Romo abused
FS: Ihedigbo
SS: Quin

The defense managed to finish 1st against the run and 13th against passing. Ansah and Jones looked great this year. As did Suh and Fairley. Suh wants to get paid, as does Fairley. Suh continued his moves learned in soccer and basically killed Rodger's calf for all eternity. Whitehead filled in adequately for Tulloch who couldn't help but dance around. Levy went off and its a damn shame he was left out of the Pro Bowl and All Pro. Van Noy did little and never seemed to catch up after being injured for camp. Slay and Mathis actually looked like real corner backs, things the Lions haven't had since the 1970s. Unfortunately every potential nickleback spontaneously combusted. And when Mathis went out a fake plastic tree might as well have replaced him. Dig and Quin outclassed my initial predictions and Quin picked up All Pro honors in addition to leading the league's safeties in interceptions.

K: Freese, Henery, Prater
P: Martin
LS: Muhlbach
KR/PR: Ross

Martin was generally good but managed to pay off some gambling debts with ill-timed mistakes. Ross made lots of errors and contributed nothing to the passing game. The Lions decision not to bring back Kickalicious meant that we all got a few steps close to developing hypertension until Prater started to settle in around week 8.

Jarnet87

His receivers failed him pretty miserably. He put multiple balls on the dime on third down and they dropped them. Not his fault.

yes if those 2 drops are catches they win. wait wut? Oregon could of lost by 50 if OSU doesn't give them a couple turnovers, and Mariota likely looks worse with him just trying to throw against an OSU defense with ears pinned back.

To bad your state has the Bengals and the Browns to really represent you, oh and how about the Cavs this season...?

I'm a Bucs fan (from Florida). I don't like seeing Urban Meyer win but it's better then seeing Mariota succeed. This should secure Winston to Tampa and that is all that matters.

njean777

yes if those 2 drops are catches they win. wait wut? Oregon could of lost by 50 if OSU doesn't give them a couple turnovers, and Mariota likely looks worse with him just trying to throw against an OSU defense with ears pinned back.

I'm a Bucs fan (from Florida). I don't like seeing Urban Meyer win but it's better then seeing Mariota succeed. This should secure Winston to Tampa and that is all that matters.

From what I saw he didn't fail at anything, if anybody failed him it was his receivers and the defense.

LJ11

It wasn't even the drops that did Marriota in, his receivers couldn't beat press. OL played like dog shit too, specifically the Tackles. Biggest difference between the two teams was the OL play, OSU mauled them and their DL had no clue how to fit the run.

njean777

It wasn't even the drops that did Marriota in, his receivers couldn't beat press. OL played like dog shit too, specifically the Tackles. Biggest difference between the two teams was the OL play, OSU mauled them and their DL had no clue how to fit the run.

That is what I saw also. Blaming everything on Marriota is easy, but one needs to look at everything else before placing blame.

Mariota wasn't bad tonight. Still a better prospect than Winston, he's gonna knock out the interviews and big board as well. Chances are he goes 1st overall, but if not, he'll still go before Winston.

Winston would set your franchise back 5 more years.

LJ11

He missed some throws though. He didn't have a great game. But that was a team effort to secure the L.

Every QB misses throws. One of his best passes was a miss, one were he rolled out and hit the guy in the back of the endzone. That was a hell of a pass even though it wasn't completed.

Whatever, NFL teams already have their minds made up on what he can do on the field.

Mariota wasn't bad tonight. Still a better prospect than Winston, he's gonna knock out the interviews and big board as well. Chances are he goes 1st overall, but if not, he'll still go before Winston.

I don't know, when it comes to tools, no one is better than Winston. He dominated last season. But he may be a gigantic piece of shit. Glad I don't have to make a decision. It's hard finding a QB, any QB you draft early will set you back if he doesn't develop.

Bowser

I still think if Winston gets his shit together off the field, on the field he will blow Mariota away as a pro QB.

Every QB misses throws. One of his best passes was a miss, one were he rolled out and hit the guy in the back of the endzone. That was a hell of a pass even though it wasn't completed.

Whatever, NFL teams already have their minds made up on what he can do on the field.

Dude is fast. He's gonna run his 40 at the combine and teams will fall in love all over again.

cdyhybrid

The one where he got it just over the head of the safety(?) and the receiver got pushed out?

That was a really nice throw.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I'll be interested to see if Mariota understands pro football concepts. That'll be the important part of his interviews, not what a good guy he is. I just don't see the arm strength and accuracy, coupled with that offense, he has bust written all over him. I've only watched three of his games, though. I'll dive into the tape in a couple of months.

Bowser

That's a huge if though, and frankly not one I'm willing to risk the next half decade of my franchise on.

Generally, you see the same sad sack franchises picking at the top of the draft over and over: Oakland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Tampa, Washington, the Jets, etc. You've gotta take a chance to hit the jackpot. Given the cost-controlled rookie contracts, whiffing on a top 5 QB pick is no longer a death knell for a franchise. If the guy doesn't pan out in 2-3 years, move on.

LJ11

The one where he got it just over the head of the safety(?) and the receiver got pushed out?

That was a really nice throw.

Yeah, that's the type of stuff team like to see. Also, late in the game, he worked that pocket pretty well, had a lot of pressure coming his way, his OL played like shit. Not making excuses, just how I saw it. There's so much ball handling in that offense, he's throwing off some kind of action or fake half the game, no NFL team does that, and it definitely benefits him, large windows. Hard part about the process, separating the player from the coaching/scheme.

Syrinx

Generally, you see the same sad sack franchises picking at the top of the draft over and over: Oakland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Tampa, Washington, the Jets, etc. You've gotta take a chance to hit the jackpot. Given the cost-controlled rookie contracts, whiffing on a top 5 QB pick is no longer a death knell for a franchise. If the guy doesn't pan out in 2-3 years, move on.

Well a side point, it may not be the kiss of death for the franchise but it certainly would for the GM and coach. Whiffing on a 1st-round QB is the best way to guarantee your ejection.

And on main, I just don't see a scenario where he miraculously turns around. Not only putting my team's hopes into the hands of an accused rapist who steals crab legs and generally coasted the whole season, but having him be the leader of a group of professionals? I just don't see it working out.

LJ11

Who would you guys compare Leonard Williams to? Don't know all that much about him but it's looking like Leonard Williams future in TB.

Know you posted this in the other thread, but here's a nice discussion on Williams by Matt Waldman, who I like a lot. Long story short, he think Williams is best player in draft so far, and better than Aaron Donald who was one of his safest picks along with Mr. Watkins.

Sub to the channel, lots of good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8hJaiZvTY&list=PLX1Nx57UJgZnFoNiGj7K9qxCSXZVMtENm&index=1

Top Bottom