• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman - (Second) Best action movie of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this, my country decided to cut the whole church scene many people are talking about. I watched the movie yesterday, it's awesome but then I go look at review/discussion and see people talking about church scene that I had no idea about.

Magwik

Banned
I can't believe this, my country decided to cut the whole church scene many people are talking about. I watched the movie yesterday, it's awesome but then I go look at review/discussion and see people talking about church scene that I had no idea about.
Yeah it's a bunch of shit you missed the best scene in the movie

Toothless

One of the most fun movies I’ve seen in a while. Take the fun self-mocking I love so much, add in the best brutal action I’ve seen, along with great, hammy performances by SLJ, Firth, and (making the most of his little screentime) Hamill. The story is pretty much the hero’s journey, but there’s enough style and badassery to make it definitely worth your while. Some of the most fun I’ve had in the theater in a long while.

Seriously though, Hamill was using his Joker voice for the professor and that just made me laugh everytime he was on screen.

Rootbeer

Banned
My afternoon showing was fully packed. I could've sworn someone brought a 9-year old kid into the theatre o_o

I was at a showing yesterday and I literally saw at least 3 kids under the age of 10, probably more, I didn't look around too much.

I think back to myself at that age and I was already watching R-rated films on cable and the like so I try not to judge, but still, it's interesting. I just hope all of those parents know what they were getting into bringing young kids to a movie with so much violence and language.

But yeah during the church scene people were for the most part silent except for some cringing. I think they were stunned that they'd do such a bloodbath in a church like that.

Was so epic.

Barzul

This movie was waayyy better than the trailers gave away. That Church scene man, such violence lol. It was pretty funny too.

Toothless

Also, everyone who said in The Interview threads
the U.S. would never be okay with a fictional killing of a sitting president in a movie
can officially get fucked now.

Heh, I was thinking this too
along with that I'll never view "Thanks Obama!" in the same way again.

Korey

What happened at the beginning, in the middle east? I didn't catch what happened where the guys surrounding the hostage and then there was an explosion and then the guy was on the hostage?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What happened at the beginning, in the middle east? I didn't catch what happened where the guys surrounding the hostage and then there was an explosion and then the guy was on the hostage?

There were 2 mentors and 2 students.

It was a test for the students. While interrogating the terrorist, the mentor doesn't notice the terrorist puts his head down and pulls a grenade pin. The student (protagonists' father) jumps onto the terrorist to prevent it from killing the others. This is what makes the mentor promise his wife and child he owes them one. The surviving student gets promoted to Lancelot.

ezekial45

Banned

Hart searched him, but missed the explosive device. When they realized he was going to blow himself up, Eggsy's father sacrificed himself to save them.

That hostage had info that these Kingsman wanted. But hostage didn't want to give it up. Harry Hart was not fast enough to stop Eggsy's dad from taking the brunt of the suicide bomb, so the dad dies. Then Harry goes over to Eggsy's house for the condolences and to recruit Eggsy into the Kingsman scheme with the pendant that has the phone number and secret code.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think I should elaborate why I hated this movie so much, even though literally no one will care.

The movie itself, which I'm assuming is from the comics, is a lampooning of classic spy stories like James Bond but it also tries to embrace certain elements of the old series as well. It just completely falls flat in every regard.

First, the edgyness. Boy, when the movie started and the british dude said fuck a couple times, ho boy, SO EDGY. This is constant throughout the film too, either it be the har har anal sex joke at the end, or the hyper violent action, it tries so so so hard to be a movie for the hip youngsters.

It also has the problem of never deciding what it actually wants to be. They talk about being a gentleman but also act like 13 year old boys throughout.

Then you have they poorly handled script with the incredibly boring spy school shit, or Roxy being thrown to the side because they didn't know what to do with her, or punk kid not really having a believable turnaround.

The movie has some style I guess and I completely hated it. So without that, I was left with a vulgar, violent, unfunny attempt on modernizing a classic series like Bond, which really is punch a bit above it's weight class.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I think I should elaborate why I hated this movie so much, even though literally no one will care.

The movie itself, which I'm assuming is from the comics, is a lampooning of classic spy stories like James Bond but it also tries to embrace certain elements of the old series as well. It just completely falls flat in every regard.

First, the edgyness. Boy, when the movie started and the british dude said fuck a couple times, ho boy, SO EDGY. This is constant throughout the film too, either it be the har har anal sex joke at the end, or the hyper violent action, it tries so so so hard to be a movie for the hip youngsters.

It also has the problem of never deciding what it actually wants to be. They talk about being a gentleman but also act like 13 year old boys throughout.

Then you have they poorly handled script with the incredibly boring spy school shit, or Roxy being thrown to the side because they didn't know what to do with her, or punk kid not really having a believable turnaround.

The movie has some style I guess and I completely hated it. So without that, I was left with a vulgar, violent, unfunny attempt on modernizing a classic series like Bond, which really is punch a bit above it's weight class.
This was trying to lampoon Bond about as much as Inglorious Basterds was trying to lampoon Saving Private Ryan.... meaning, it wasn't. I'd say it's just a pulp style spy movie.

Either way, man, I can't believe anyone could watch this movie and be as dour about it as you are. I'm not trying to insult you, either. I just genuinely am put off by a number of your complaints. But, well, different strokes for different folks, right?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ok that makes sense, thanks guys.

Also,
so that failed recruit went on to work for Valentine?

Not quite. His family happened to be invited to the bunker because they were really rich. So since he was embittered over his experience at training, he decided to try and help Valentine when he happened to spot Eggsy at the party.

Chuck

Still without luck
This was trying to lampoon Bond about as much as Inglorious Basterds was trying to lampoon Saving Private Ryan.... meaning, it wasn't. I'd say it's just a pulp style spy movie.

Either way, man, I can't believe anyone could watch this movie and be as dour about it as you are. I'm not trying to insult you, either. I just genuinely am put off by a number of your complaints. But, well, different strokes for different folks, right?

Did you miss the multiple times the actors in the movie said "it's not that kind of movie" referring to James Bond? or how they literally mentioned James Bond by name? Or how when Eggsy asked for a drink it was the exact opposite of what James Bond would order?

It was meta out of the ass and it stunk like shit.

For a violent movie it didn't seem to contain much in the way of actual bloodletting and gore. Aside from a really tasteless joke at the end I mostly enjoyed this, Kick-Ass and First Class remain my favorite Matthew Vaughn flicks.

Trey

+great action (especially one crucial scene)
+decent acting
+Samuel L Jackson was great and his right hand lady was cool
+whiz gadgets and nice suits
+dogs
+the Princess scene
+delightfully British

-uneven tone
-undercooked female lead
-why was Caine in this film?
-clunky ending

7. I really disliked the ending. I was having such a good time before the final act.

Hamlet

Gotta say one of the biggest surprises of the film was Mark Strong actually being a good character and not a baddie ha. Kept expecting him to turn any moment and reveal he was evil when I first saw it.
Loved his gun line towards the end.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Great action. Fast and frantic without incomprehensible shaky-cam. Liked the goofy limb-chopping.

Terrible story. "Hero's Journey" cliched boring garbage, with massive plot holes I couldn't ignore and almost zero interesting character development. Not a single surprise, except that I was surprised everything was so damn predictable. John Wick and Raid 2 and pretty much every other hailed recent action movie are way better in this department.

Overall, the action alone was enough to make it an okay experience.

devonodev

I saw this last week knowing nothing about it, and loved it. I wanted to see it again straight away. Especially the church scene.

It reminded me so much of Kickass, one of my favorite movies of all time. Then it wasn't until the next day I found out it was the same director, it all made perfect sense.

RedStep

For a violent movie it didn't seem to contain much in the way of actual bloodletting and gore. Aside from a really tasteless joke at the end I mostly enjoyed this, Kick-Ass and First Class remain my favorite Matthew Vaughn flicks.

Did you see the US or UK version? The US one is uncut for once, it had quite a bit of gore (
the church scene and ending in particular had lots of chopped-up people and bloody headshots
). Apparently around 51 seconds was cut from the UK version to get a 15, which is substantial when it's only spraying blood.

The movie has good critical reviews and even better audience reviews (including here). That doesn't make you wrong (in the "no opinion is wrong" philosophy), but there's not much to discuss with you when your hatred comes from things like:

Lots of movies have violence and cursing. not sure why this one is trying to be "SO EDGY" and not just being the movie that it is. I thought it was excellent and was glad they put it together they way they did, including keeping the sex, violence, and cursing that they wanted to instead of cutting it down for a lower rating (here).

Linsies

Saw the movie with my husband on Thursday and we both loved it (as did the rest of the audience). We are hoping to go see it again soon. I loved the plot, action, humor, etc. I think it's one of the best films I've seen in a while (and we go to the theater quite a bit).

I honestly think you are overthinking this. Most of the films I've seen from the UK are similar with regard to language and action and they aren't trying to be EDGY. They just have a different style.

Say the movie earlier today, goddamn I loved it. I'm suprised the metacritic rating for both the critics and the users is so low.

My only complaints are the use of Roxy, a somewhat clichéd and weak story, and I thought
SLJ's death was kind of disappointing, as he himself did no ass kicking in the movie, as good a character as he was though.

Overall I'd definitely give the movie a 9/10. I should probably go see John Wick now.

tumblr_lyrro3TvbF1r9v3eso1_500.gif

Trike

+great action (especially one crucial scene)
+decent acting
+Samuel L Jackson was great and his right hand lady was cool
+whiz gadgets and nice suits
+dogs
+the Princess scene
+delightfully British

-uneven tone
-undercooked female lead
-why was Caine in this film?
-clunky ending

7. I really disliked the ending. I was having such a good time before the final act.

The bolded were huge for me. Relatively unknown actress having little impact on the film was a little upsetting. Big waste of Michael Caine. (Caine spoilers)
Was not upset/shocked when he turned out to be evil.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Say the movie earlier today, goddamn I loved it. I'm suprised the metacritic rating for both the critics and the users is so low.

My only complaints are the use of Roxy,a somewhat clichéd and weak story, and I thought
SLJ's death was kind of disappointing, as he himself did no ass kicking in the movie, as good a character as he was though.

Overall I'd definitely give the movie a 9/10. I should probably go see John Wick now.
This was easily my biggest gripe with it. I really did enjoy the shit out of this movie but she was severely under-utilized.

I watched this at the Alamo and I swear this was the first time we ever had so many fucking loud people in the theater. Probably due to Valentine's day but it was so fucking satisfying to have the couple next to us shushed by one of the employees as she tells them "we got a noise complaint. If we're told about you again we'll ask you to leave"

Meier

Absolutely loved it.
This was easily my biggest gripe with it. I really did enjoy the shit out of this movie but she was severely under-utilized.

Yeah, my wife was a bit disappointed into how she was essentially marginalized at the end due to how quickly SLJ corrected the thing she did but she still played what would have been a huge role. Otherwise though, she loved the movie as much as I did.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I wished we could've seen SLJ more. He's really amazing with comedy, and Valentine could've been amazing if they fleshed him out a bit more.

BTW, there was this great video from Comic-Con last year of SLJ answering a press guy's phone during a junket. It's awesome.

http://youtu.be/oJN8jUa2ON0?t=11m25s

Absolutely loved it.

Yeah, my wife was a bit disappointed into how she was essentially marginalized at the end due to how quickly SLJ corrected the thing she did but she still played what would have been a huge role. Otherwise though, she loved the movie as much as I did.

they marginalized what both of them did. Remember that Eggsy went to grant access to the computer, then he ran all the way back while avoiding bullets, only to reach the plane and be told "you gotta go back he has a thing I can't hack" and now he has to fight even more people.

They couldn't have
had her join in the fight because the invitation was only for one person, Arthur, and as far as I know these agents tend to fight solo. If they have two of them fight sexy legs lady then reverse ninja rule applies and both of them don't fight as effectively

Great movie. May see it again with some friends next week.

they marginalized what both of them did. Remember that Eggsy went to grant access to the computer, then he ran all the way back while avoiding bullets, only to reach the plane and be told "you gotta go back he has a thing I can't hack" and now he has to fight even more people.

They couldn't have
had her join in the fight because the invitation was only for one person, Arthur, and as far as I know these agents tend to fight solo. If they have two of them fight sexy legs lady then reverse ninja rule applies and both of them don't fight as effectively

People are missing the obvious reason she's marginalized at the end: It's a reference to old (and even new) Bond films, where you'd have an ostensibly highly-trained female protagonist who doesn't actually do anything.

That said, if somebody went up to me and gave me a choice between riding a balloon into the stratosphere or jacking some guy's laptop, I'd go with the laptop every time. Roxy had the more dangerous mission by far, considering how it was only through sheer luck that things went south in the bunker.

Dominator

Sweet baby jesus, the
church
scene. I just about orgasmed during that, the music was PERFECT.

Going again tomorrow night with a friend, can't wait to watch it again.

kai3345

Banned
did anyone else notice that shot during the climax where eggsy is suplexing a dude or whatever and his head is SUPER CLEARLY PHOTOSHOPPED ON

it was almost as jarring as the gopro shots in the hobbit

Every Vaughn film makes me love him more and more. He is my favorite action director.

The fighting was pretty fucking spectacular. Can't believe how cool Firth looked.

it was a good movie but I feel like some of the stylistic approach to the money was inconsistent and threw me off, but it might just be me.

Every Vaughn film makes me love him more and more. He is my favorite action director.

The fighting was pretty fucking spectacular. Can't believe how cool Firth looked.

Yep. I actually didn't really care of like Firth, this made me like him though.

edit: also how funny is it that something as simply as a lisp could do so much to make me laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom