• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

nib95

Banned
I think it's more like Uncharted. The sequel will have it. But I'm surprised Sony greenlit a game without it. Tough sell these days.

Agreed, but I think Sony probably realised asking multiplayer as well might have been a bit of a tough ask for a company as young in this area as RAD. End of the day this is their first console game, and they have spent a massive amount of time and resources just getting the engine where it is let alone the game. 4 years total dev time for The Order, even without the multiplayer.

As you mentioned, I'm also expecting it for the sequel and will be quite disappointed if it's missing.

I think the craziest part about all of the debates surrounding this game is that all the GAF impressions have been positive. Some had more issues than others but the consensus so far is that it's worth playing.
What I am afraid of is that GAF's impressions and opinions don't reflect accurately impressions of mainstream reviewers and customers. I am glad to see those positive reviews from GAF, and I hope to see the same ones from the press :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did Rapier ever post how long it took him to finish the game? The 5 hour Youtube playthorugh is a lot less than what some other people here reported - that is unless the youtuber was recording his/her 2nd playthorugh, which in this kind of game always goes much faster.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't understand why the game needs multiplayer?
It's a single player game, that is not a 100 hours long

God of War 3 was short (imo) it didn't have multiplayer, it was still a fine game, I rate it highly in the fun factor

I really don't want to be rude, but the OP's feels full of weird apologies. It's like he wants it to succeed so badly but doesn't want to say anything bad about it, but when he does, he has to excuse it somehow. Like he's afraid people are just not going to like the clearly linear and cutscene focused approach of the game. If that's how it is and you liked it, just spit it out. Don't try to make excuses for it.

I have to agree. It's seems like all of the OP's impressions are framed as counter arguments. Which I guess makes sense given the climate. From what I've watched of the later-stage fighting on YouTube though, I have no clue how the OP could compare The Order's combat to Killzone's.

Killzone 2's combat engagements were much larger, and offered the player much more variety in tactics & options. The Helghast enemies appeared in far greater numbers, and featured much more advanced AI that could react dynamically to what the player was doing, allowing fights to unfold in different ways. The better firefights could withstand multiple play-throughs thanks to these systems.

The Order's gameplay, from what I've watched, features none of this systemic complexity and seems much closer to how a Call Of Duty campaign would play out in third person. Straightforward, highly funneled, and rigidly directed (complete with discreet action events ala turrets, etc.)

That's not a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Wasp

This game seems to be the PS4 equivalent of Ryse: Son of Rome.

Stunning graphics, very short, super linear, QTE heavy and basic one-note gameplay.

nib95

Banned
I called this a while ago. The Order 1886 is a renter at best. How can anybody justify $60 for a 5 and a half hour game where a large portion is cutscenes and QTEs? This project would have been much better if they had ditched the gameplay altogether, added a few hours, and sold it as episodic content.

The games problems are tied directly to its format. A highly scripted game costs too much and can't produce enough content for the price it'll have to be sold for. Gameplay, Scripted Narrative, Acceptable Price: Pick two.

GAFers who have completed it so far and their completion times.

OsirisBlack - 14 hours
Theman2k - 12 hours
Rapier - 9 hours
Verendus - 10 hours

5 and a half hours in going to be on the fairly rushed, uncommonly short side of the completion spectrum, one completely ignoring all collectibles and viewables, and also playing on a lower difficulty. Not really a fair default barometer.

Stunning graphics, very short, super linear, QTE heavy and basic one-note gameplay.

Yeah, it does seem that way, but Ryse had a fairly enjoyable co-op-capable arena/challenge mode to keep you playing past the short single player campaign.

GobFather

Agreed, but I think Sony probably realised asking multiplayer as well might have been a bit of a tough ask for a company as young in this area as RAD. End of the day this is their first console game, and they have spent a massive amount of time and resources just getting the engine where it is let alone the game. 4 years total dev time for The Order, even without the multiplayer.

As you mentioned, I'm also expecting it for the sequel and will be quite disappointed if it's missing.

I agree totally.

Ishan

you can frame almost any aaa linear game into that farmework. The balance of gameplay and the other aspects changes things as does the the narrative and in those this is not like ryse. Think midway between ryse and tlou.

Vena

OsirisBlack - 14 hours
Theman2k - 12 hours
Rapier - 9 hours
Verendus - 10 hours

5 and a half hours in going to be on the fairly rushed, uncommonly short side of the completion spectrum, and not really a fair default barometer.

I'd honestly not use GAF as a metric of time because we're rather partial to a title and can get absorbed in loving it over being critical of its length. Just look at Toad and how utterly absurd some of the timers are for players and the dialogue that evolved around the title. The game will take you ~5 hours to beat if you set out to beat it and nothing else (some variance since it is a puzzler and can lock up people from time to time with spatial conundrums) but people will still take their sweet time beating it to just take in the visuals of the game (I'm talking about Toad). (MMFM takes about as long as the game proper to beat unless you are god-like, but that's extra content after the meat of the game and is a lot of repetition.)

And that game was 40$, almost entirely game-play driven with almost no downtime to cutscenes, and it still go hit by reviewers for its brevity.

DavidDesu

It's either a factor in your decision making as a studio as you approach a game, or your studio isn't going to be around very long. Spending $100 million to make a game that will sell 100,000 copies is a fantastic way to find yourself unemployed.

Games - like any other entertainment medium - need to sell in proportion to their budget. Musicians, directors, designers...if they consistently produce work that doesn't sell and as a result loses money, they quickly find it very hard to find work. The bigger the budget, the closer you aim to where the mass interests lie.

I'm pretty sure it won't sell just 100,000 copies. I'm pretty sure pre orders alone are over that but that's besides the point. I do fully understand what you're saying but if you boil down that philosophy then everything would be literally the same as the last best selling thing that came along. Chasing a market isn't always the wisest way to do business. Just look at Apple. That notion of the customer not knowing what they want until you give them it is very true. If everything was made according to market research and copying previously successful trends (which it 90% IS) then the world would be (kind of is) a horrible place.

I've seen this comparison before and it comes across as so lazy and only made because both are exclusives. Ryse was shat on before release, even from major publications in previews which rarely ever happens and it all end up being true in the final product. The Order has been getting mostly positive impressions dating back to PSX and now with the broken street date.

Call me cynical but it seems like when this comparison is made to a game as poor as Ryse it's more out of hope than genuine belief because impressions leading up to both releases are quite opposite.

Thanks for the impressions! I don't like interactive movies in general but after playing games with non-stop action like Diablo III UED, Samurai Warriors IV, Resogun, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, MK8, FIFA 15, NBA 2K15 and Daytona USA, I'm giving The Order 1886 a shot.

Variety is a good thing and a change of pace is always welcome. Those unskippable cut scenes will truly test my patience though.

DavidDesu

I'd honestly not use GAF as a metric of time because we're rather partial to a title and can get absorbed in loving it over being critical of its length. Just look at Toad and how utterly absurd some of the timers are for players and the dialogue that evolved around the title. The game will take you ~5 hours to beat if you set out to beat it and nothing else (some variance since it is a puzzler and can lock up people from time to time with spatial conundrums) but people will still take their sweet time beating it to just take in the visuals of the game (I'm talking about Toad).

And that game was 40$ and it still go hit by reviewers for its brevity.

Going by NeoGAF reckoning the universe is either 5000 years old or 13.5 billion years old. The analogy works. On too many levels :p

I'm looking forward to sinking some hours into this world that RAD ave built, absolutely no one seems to have denied that they were very successful at that.

For those worrying about gameplay length, please stop. I've been playing it nonstop since 2:45pm; it's now about 10pm, and I have 6 chapters left to finish. And yes, there is plenty of gameplay; it's not mostly cutscenes. The beginning of the game is heavy on exposition, but things heat up midway, and now I would say it's heavy on combat. Some very interesting story developments going down now; I could easily finish this in one sitting, it has me hooked, but The Walking Dead is calling me lol.

I can't stress enough how crazy the visuals are. No slowdown, crazy smooth frame rate, (it's gotta be above 30) it really is playable CGI.

The good thing with this game for me is that I know for a fact it will take longer then 5 hours, hell even 8 hours for me to beat it. Length shouldn't even be discussed because it's all very "personal" based on whose playing.

^ see? No need to fear.

iratA

OsirisBlack - 14 hours
Theman2k - 12 hours
Rapier - 9 hours
Verendus - 10 hours

5 and a half hours in going to be on the fairly rushed, uncommonly short side of the completion spectrum, one completely ignoring all collectibles and viewables, and also playing on a lower difficulty. Not really a fair default barometer.

Yeah this is what I'm hearing. I can't wait till Friday!

Ellite25

For those worrying about gameplay length, please stop. I've been playing it nonstop since 2:45pm; it's now about 10pm, and I have 6 chapters left to finish. And yes, there is plenty of gameplay; it's not mostly cutscenes. The beginning of the game is heavy on exposition, but things heat up midway, and now I would say it's heavy on combat. Some very interesting story developments going down now; I could easily finish this in one sitting, it has me hooked, but The Walking Dead is calling me lol.

I can't stress enough how crazy the visuals are. No slowdown, crazy smooth frame rate, (it's gotta be above 30) it really is playable CGI.

This makes me very excited.

LuuKyK

Has someone else expanded on how the character interaction is dealt with?

This is probably the most important aspect of story-centered games for me. I don't mean just how they talk to each other in cut scenes, but if there is any dialogue while exploring, shooting, etc. and most importantly if it all feels realistic.

This is something I feel the Uncharted series really hit the spot. All the talk between the characters in every single moment, doesn't matter if it is a silly and/or serious one, it always feel like something people in real life in a similar situation would actually say. It makes the characters way more engaging than the usual robotic "cover me, follow me" and so on. Although I guess a big part of it is based on the voice actor delivery/performance, but a good script certainly helps.

Sometimes these small things make me enjoy a game even if it fails to deliver in other aspects like a nonsensical or flawed plot/game mechanic. You just relate to the characters and enjoy playing as them and seeing how they develop throughout the game.

Sorry if I missed a discussion about this in this specific thread, I am avoiding most Order threads lately.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really feel bad for QTEs. They were enjoyable little action sequences in Shenmue and now you have people claiming Ryse was "QTE heavy" when in reality it was just "press the correctly colored button, of which there are two." I mean, talk about your descendants not appreciating their heritage.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really feel bad for QTEs. They were enjoyable little action sequences in Shenmue and now you have people claiming Ryse was "QTE heavy" when in reality it was just "press the correctly colored button, of which there are two." I mean, talk about your descendants not appreciating their heritage.

I know this sounds horrible, but at least in God of War they made me feel badass because there was no way I could do some of those movements in normal gameplay.

I don't know dude, I think using GAF as a metric for how long it could take other GAFers to complete the game is pretty logical.

Also might as well never use GAF for anything, because they could be partial. Or not use the internet because some people could be partial. Or you know what? I'm just going for my own opinion or time. That works! (not against you Nib heh)

Lunar15

Some games do them fine. Platinum Games usually have some fun ones. God of War as well.

Honestly, it's never bothered me too much. If it's just added in as super cool looking icing on an already satisfying cake, then great. But if it's just there to cover up a lack of a compelling gameplay system, then no thanks.

hatchx

Banned

OsirisBlack - 14 hours
Theman2k - 12 hours
Rapier - 9 hours
Verendus - 10 hours

Sounds about the same as Uncharted 1 to be honest. I love my games around 10-12 hours, I find games at that length don't feel padded or bloated, and are easier to replay.

Has someone else expanded on how the character interaction is dealt with?

This is probably the most important aspect of story-centered games for me. I don't mean just how they talk to each other in cut scenes, but if there is any dialogue while exploring, shooting, etc. and most importantly if it all feels realistic.

This is something I feel the Uncharted series really hit the spot. All the talk between the characters in every single moment, doesn't matter if it is a silly and/or serious one, it always feel like something people in real life in a similar situation would actually say. It makes the characters way more engaging than the usual robotic "cover me, follow me" and so on. Although I guess a big part of it is based on the voice actor delivery/performance, but a good script certainly helps.

Sometimes these small things make me enjoy a game even if it fails to deliver in other aspects like a nonsensical or flawed plot/game mechanic. You just relate to the characters and enjoy playing as them and seeing how they develop throughout the game.

Sorry if I missed a discussion about this in this specific thread, I am avoiding most Order threads lately.

Idk if this answers your question but I asked a couple days ago if the humor/banter between the characters were good and the person replied saying that's how a lot of the story is told and its done very very well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know this sounds horrible, but at least in God of War they made me feel badass because there was no way I could do some of those movements in normal gameplay.

Also might as well never use GAF for anything, because they could be partial. Or not use the internet because some people could be partial. Or you know what? I'm just going for my own opinion or time. That works! (not against you Nib heh)

Some games do them fine. Platinum Games usually have some fun ones. God of War as well.

Honestly, it's never bothered me too much. If it's just added in as super cool looking icing on an already satisfying cake, then great. But if it's just there to cover up a lack of a compelling gameplay system, then no thanks.

I like QTEs. But this is like people saying Kingdom Hearts 2 had QTEs because it had a triangle prompt for special moves.

kyser73

The human AI on default difficulty - aka medium - has been non-threatening. I've been sitting back and pulling off headshots using pistols with ease. I've only died once so far and that was against the Lycan from the E3 demo during an insta-death QTE sequence. Hoping the challenge ramps up.

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game. The real star of the show is the universe itself; the settings, the characters, the way the story is told bit by bit instead of just flooding you with information. If someone were to walk in on you playing this, at first glance they would think you were watching a movie, which is what I believe RAD was aiming for. It looks eerily lifelike at times. I'm playing on Hard, with aim assist off, and I've died about 10 times so far.

So I guess there's a pretty steep ramp up in difficulty between medium & hard then?

Or perineumlick is just rubbish at games ;P

BokehKing

Banned

OsirisBlack - 14 hours
Theman2k - 12 hours
Rapier - 9 hours
Verendus - 10 hours

So it will take me 20 hours
I always tack on an extra 10 hours to whatever people say the definitive time limit is.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'd honestly not use GAF as a metric of time because we're rather partial to a title and can get absorbed in loving it over being critical of its length..

Yes, let's use random short playthrough on YouTube as a metric of game length, and not the ones by MULTIPLE members of this community. That certainly makes sense. Not like YouTube dude is a statistical outlier or anything.

braves01

Banned

It's not mostly cut scenes, but there are a lot. I'd say the 25%-33% range is about correct based on the first 8 chapters. I agree with you about the visuals though, they really do look pretty amazing. I especially like the "pick up object and look at it" sections. The wrist movement and gloves look super nice.

I like QTEs. But this is like people saying Kingdom Hearts 2 had QTEs because it had a triangle prompt for special moves.
Jave you seen the cutscenes in this game?

Vena

I don't know dude, I think using GAF as a metric for how long it could take other GAFers to complete the game is pretty logical.

I'd usually agree... post release and/or with a different title.

The best example I can make is, simply, this very thread, or more accurately its start, and how third person shooting was described in colorful words for, what, after much ado and discussion turned out to be... context-heavy third person shooting. There's nothing bad about that but why were the descriptions of it as if someone were describing a Matisse? I don't think anything would have been lost from the description of how strong the world building is for the game if the mechanics had been more dry-cut described for what they were. This is what I mean when I say that GAF can be a poor indicator, and we saw much the same with Toad in terms of its length from a "fan" to a "reviewer" perspective.

Yes, let's use random short playthrough on YouTube as a metric of game length, and not the ones by MULTIPLE members of this community. That certainly makes sense. Not like YouTube dude is a statistical outlier or anything.

Never did I say to do such a thing. Please do not let us fall into reductio ad absurdum.

schaft0620

tumblr_makkmdAsFd1rr82nd.png

He said I had no idea what I was talking about in terms of the games file size. I had 2 guys attacking me (Now 3). The Order is going to be the 55th game I've played on PS4, I have my masters in MIS and BA in Computer Science and I got this guy telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about. Yeah you can play pong for 15 hours but, you get to get an idea how much game there is when you see the file size. There was no reason to attack me without asking for an explanation.

steven28

Just finished the Lycan encounter that's been shown at E3. The visuals seem to have been upgraded; it looks incredible. The fight itself reminds me of RE4; very visceral and hard hitting. I think this game will be very divisive; I like slow burn, atmospheric games, which The Order most certainly is. Those who crave constant, in your face action will probably be disappointed, because it's just not that type of game.

Sounds excellent.

Good to hear man, glad you're enjoying it. Let us know what you think overall when you're done with it, thread could do with a few more impressions.

Comparisons to Ryse are being exceptionally disingenuous about the issues in Ryse. The positive impressions we have about the core game mechanic of shooting in The Order put it head and shoulders above Ryse as being a competent game.

m@cross

Hmmm this game might be for me.. maybe.

I love quality over quantity, 7-10 hours of a great experience is worth more than 40-80 hours of filler shit.

I am fine with QTE

Story trumps almost everything else - I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.

My one concern s actually how horror filled the game is. Dark places with jump scares are not my thing.

Korten

Banned
Maybe not the best place to ask...

But is The Order a international organzation? I feel like if their goal is to defend Humanity from half-breeds...

That saying: "We will defend Humanity- that is so long as you're in Europe that is." Kind of goes against their own belief. xD

I called this a while ago. The Order 1886 is a renter at best. How can anybody justify $60 for a 5 and a half hour game where a large portion is cutscenes and QTEs?

It might not be your equation but it costs less than filling up the petrol tank on my car, and I can't think of an alternative title that is atmospheric, cinematic and has great graphics, either now or on the horizon, or on the app store for $4.99.
So for many people the length just isn't an issue EVEN IF we play it only once.

My problem isn't money, is that there are just not many games good enough.

I'll buy anything that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna play all the way through, and a good deal of stuff that I probably won't.

nib95

Banned

I fully agree with both parts of your post. Yes GOW's QTE's were atypical combat finishers that did indeed make you feel badass, and imo worked in context, and secondly that ultimately we should really only rely on our own opinions as anything conclusive.

In terms of opinions prior to getting my own chance though, I personally see more validity in many GAF opinions than I do of random YouTubers or even Journalists. Namely because I know many of us here are hardcore gamers, that appreciate things beyond a typical scope. I mean, just look at the impressions of the game so far, positives or negatives, these are GAFers who really invested their full attention in to the world Ready at Dawn created, exploring, analysing, collecting, appreciating etc, and I relate to that. Developers put so much effort in to things like art, scene set up, controls, mechanics, physics systems, lighting, textures, sound score etc, it can be frustrating to me personally, when some people just gloss over it. I fully respect that people play games differently, and that's fine, its just not the way I play games myself.

kyser73

I think that it's also worth bearing in mind that the vast majority of people who buy this game will be non-hardcore gamers who will be perfectly well challenged by the medium difficulty level.

I suspect that Mr 5.5hrs doesn't fall into this category of person purchasing.

Top Bottom