• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS - The oFFicial Thread

Click

Banned
More GIFs!
Slow-mo FTW...

9kbdj6_th.gif

ORIGINAL

21aerq_th.gif

ORIGINAL

53s6dx_th.gif

ORIGINAL

2iiflmd_th.gif

ORIGINAL

xfvvys_th.gif

ORIGINAL

2d7wsvd_th.gif

ORIGINAL

h3ro

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Well, I'm in the U.S. (if it matters for code purposes), so the first person that PM's me can have my code for the blades.

I'll scratch off the card and give it to you tonite when im at home. I just dont want to use it if its going to make the game ridiculously easy.....

PM'd you. :D

Click

Banned
I still hate this recent trend of Gamestop/EB getting exclusive in-game content with pre-orders. I've already complained about it in this thread, but I'll say it again here.
It's fucking bullshit for developers to lock in-game content or make them exclusive downloads, requiring pre-orders to download.

Click said:
I still hate this recent trend of Gamestop/EB getting exclusive in-game content with pre-orders. I've already complained about it in this thread, but I'll say it again here.
It's fucking bullshit for developers to lock in-game content or make them exclusive downloads, requiring pre-orders to download.

I'd be very surprised if it dosen't come as DLC later. GOW and Heavenly Sword LBP items went that way.

Shurs

Click said:

I agree.

MvmntInGrn said:
I'd be very surprised if it dosen't come as DLC later. GOW and Heavenly Sword LBP items went that way.

I also agree.

guggnichso

Banned
Click said:

This man speaks the truth.

However, I liked that in saints row 2, the codes worked in every version of the game, regardless if you preordered or not.

Jim

iamcool388 said:
Does anyone know what time the embargo lifts? The review embargo is up today as far as I remember.

9am PST/12pm EST, just checked with SCEA.

Click said:
A 'certain banned site' (Joy____) on GAF has their review up.

Google it if you're at all interested...

Embargo breakers! Considering their timestamp suspiciously says 9:00am on the dot, they obviously were confused by PST/EST.

Arnie

Guys what time does the demo go live publically to people who didn't preorder? I have seen nothing of this game and want to be surprised.

Cruzader

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Well, I'm in the U.S. (if it matters for code purposes), so the first person that PM's me can have my code for the blades.

I'll scratch off the card and give it to you tonite when im at home. I just dont want to use it if its going to make the game ridiculously easy.....

EDIT-- Code claimed by h3ro....

h3ro you better make a dummy sharing account.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
mintylurb said:
Those scores are too good. We need some bad scores. EDGE make it happen!!

Fixed.

Can't wait until this is out, pre-ordered an official guide as well, last time I did that was for the original Doom.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The full game is days away.....anyone else besides me NOT getting the demo on Thursday from PSN? I totally want to walk into this game knowing/playing nothing.....can't wait!!!

guina

Reading the eurogamer review gave me a headache. It started comparing the game with other yet unreleased games, hated how coles power mimic real weapons, w/o mentioning the ones that dont, and ended with a silly end comment oh well, its eurogamer alright.

Click

Banned
deepbrown said:
Can we post these reviews? Or just say the scores - you know the text can be quite interesting...

It's best to just give links and/or interesting / controversial portions of the reviews.
Quoting the entire review is silly.

GeoramA

Click said:
LOL @ Eurogamer.
Why do people even give any credibility to that site anymore?
Somebody out there has to keep the "PS3 has no games" meme going.

Edge and Eurogamer are keeping the hope alive

guina said:
coles power mimic real weapons
Haven't played the game, so i don't really have on opinion on its overall quality. But that point seemed kinda silly. Not that it's not true, but rather... why hold it against the game? Is it a requirement to not have anything equivalent to rifle/nade/rocket/sniper rifle?

eznark

Banned
Click said:
It's best to just give links and/or interesting / controversial portions of the reviews.

Well, post some impressions please, for those of us who can't access the game sites.

deepbrown

Click said:
I didn't mean that - I mean actually posting the links. Cause everyone's just saying "omg 7, 7 , 7"

Click

Banned
GeoramA said:
Somebody out there has to keep the "PS3 has no games" meme going.

Edge and Eurogamer are keeping the hope alive

It's not just PS3 games. They completely fuck up with numerous reviews, regardless of console.
It's just that their reviews of PS3 games usually have horrendously low(er) scores, especially if they're made by non European developers.

eznark said:
Well, post some impressions please, for those of us who can't access the game sites.

I don't bother with Eurogamer.
It should be a banned site on GAF.

eznark

Banned
Click said:
It's not just PS3 games. They completely fuck up with numerous reviews.
It's just that their reviews of PS3 games usually have horrendously low(er) scores, especially if they're made by non European developers.

I don't bother with Eurogamer.
It should be a banned site on GAF.

Oh, not from Eurogamer, I meant in general.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jim's review sums up what I thought this would be. Are people seriously looking for games to score high to be vindicated these days? Read his view, good stuff.

Click

Banned
xKilltheMx said:

Well done, Jim.
Some highlights:

"inFamous is the real deal, and it stands out as one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences this year."

"Sucker Punch has hit all the proper bullet points; Regular guy who suddenly develops super powers, modern NYC-like city environment, bad dudes, some sort of impending disaster, and a gimmick or twist. inFamous has them all."

"However, if you want to really get the absolute most out of inFamous (or if you're a PlayStation Trophy collector), it will require a second play through from the opposite perspective."

"To just play through the main story, it would probably take the average, focused player around 14 hours. Almost double that if the various side-quests are included, and even more for Trophy collectors. So there are definitely plenty of hours of gameplay to go around."

"For an open-world, sandbox-style game with large streaming environments, inFamous is a really great looking game, especially with the amount of freedom allowed within the game world and the frequent bouts of on-screen chaos."

"There is some pop-in of structures and textures in the distance and it's nothing we haven't seen before in an open-world environment. The same could be said with the unlocked framerate which varies from 60fps down to the 30s, and infrequently a bit lower depending on the action. Due to the lack of anti-aliasing, expect to see some jagged edges and shimmering here and there, usually in the distance."

"In terms of complaints, there really isn't much of anything in inFamous to dislike. There are points where the city and the missions start to feel a little repetitive, although again, it's nothing abnormal for this genre."

"I'd say that even those who would not normally care for comic/superhero or sandbox-style games would find something to like in inFamous. The game has more than enough content and is enough of a challenge to keep most PS3 gamers busy for a while."

I'm well aware of the hypocrisy in me making this particular speech, but do we have to do this every fucking time? It got a 7 from Eurogamer. Lots of games get 7s from Eurogamer. On the upside, what's mentioned in the review is quite promising.

You head down a manhole occasionally over the course of the game to bring power back to new sections of the city, and these levels play out more like the linear platform-and-combat challenges of Sly Raccoon, introducing and focusing the design on a new ability each time (hovering, or an energy shield, for instance), and it's within these gloomy depths that Sucker Punch showcases its most confident work.

But just as the trouble on the surface threatens to wear you down, inFamous finds a second wind, and begins to throw up a variety of interesting and engaging missions that reign in the turret guns and enemies spammed into corridors, and focus on more dramatic encounters that make use of the superior platforming alongside a few more impressive new powers. There's a massive tower ascent, a dramatic prison break that puts you up against colossal robotic energy monsters, and some interesting pursuits - helicopters and hot-air balloons best among them.

It's by this stage that the previously stumbling narrative also regains your attention, as key players reveal themselves, and double-cross one another, and the mystery of the initial explosion is made plainer. All along you have been making good-or-bad decisions that feed into the karma system, conferring particular ranks (with a few different powers available at either extreme), and although it's rather forced, it also comes good in the end, finally evolving beyond save-myself-or-save-everyone junctions informed more by your preferred upgrade path than morals, and asking you to choose between a couple of clear and personal rights and wrongs. The beautiful, hand-painted story sequences thrown across the screen to bookend the more dramatic narrative pivots and confrontations take on greater resonance as Sucker Punch plays its final hand beyond an admittedly rubbish final boss battle.

Platforming? Awesome. Combat? Not always awesome. Sounds good, sounds Sucker Punchy, will buy.

Top Bottom