• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS - The oFFicial Thread

Click

Banned
Reposting for top of the page, in case people missed it:

xKilltheMx said:

Well done, Jim.
Some highlights:

"inFamous is the real deal, and it stands out as one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences this year."

"Sucker Punch has hit all the proper bullet points; Regular guy who suddenly develops super powers, modern NYC-like city environment, bad dudes, some sort of impending disaster, and a gimmick or twist. inFamous has them all."

"However, if you want to really get the absolute most out of inFamous (or if you're a PlayStation Trophy collector), it will require a second play through from the opposite perspective."

"To just play through the main story, it would probably take the average, focused player around 14 hours. Almost double that if the various side-quests are included, and even more for Trophy collectors. So there are definitely plenty of hours of gameplay to go around."

"For an open-world, sandbox-style game with large streaming environments, inFamous is a really great looking game, especially with the amount of freedom allowed within the game world and the frequent bouts of on-screen chaos."

"There is some pop-in of structures and textures in the distance and it's nothing we haven't seen before in an open-world environment. The same could be said with the unlocked framerate which varies from 60fps down to the 30s, and infrequently a bit lower depending on the action. Due to the lack of anti-aliasing, expect to see some jagged edges and shimmering here and there, usually in the distance."

"In terms of complaints, there really isn't much of anything in inFamous to dislike. There are points where the city and the missions start to feel a little repetitive, although again, it's nothing abnormal for this genre."

"I'd say that even those who would not normally care for comic/superhero or sandbox-style games would find something to like in inFamous. The game has more than enough content and is enough of a challenge to keep most PS3 gamers busy for a while."

I wish inFAMOUS wasn't exclusive. then i wouldn't have to second guess everyone's opinion for or against it when compared to Prototype.

it's really annoying trying to work out what is coloured by system wars and what isn't.

Click

Banned
plagiarize said:
I wish inFAMOUS wasn't exclusive. then i wouldn't have to second guess everyone's opinion for or against it when compared to Prototype.

it's really annoying trying to work out what is coloured by system wars and what isn't.

I wish Halo (2, 3) and Gears of War (2) wasn't exclusive. then i wouldn't have to second guess everyone's opinion for or against it when compared to Call of Duty (2, 3, 4, WaW).

See what I did there?

Musashi Wins! said:
He's at least interesting. Same with Eurogamer, some of you people are big babies about that shit.

LOL, "interesting."
Right... that's what we call bad reviews, previews, and/or impressions these days.

N30RYU

Someone that have a retailer euro version, if you put the console in english does it show at least subtitiles in english??

I wanna know it there's a chance that UK version of the game will have multi-subtitles in french, germna, spanish or italian (I know taht won't have dubs, but subs?)

Majora

That Eurogamer review seems perfectly fair to me. My main reservation after playing the demo was that the mission design would not really make adequate use of the superpowers and instead just descend into rote cover and shoot/protect a box or vehicle mission and it seems like that is somewhat the case sadly. But he does have plenty of good things to say about the game. Still not sure whether to buy this, my gut tells me to wait for a price-cut.

Btw the constant Edge and Eurogamer paranoia is getting a bit ridiculous now. They've both given glowing reviews to numerous PS3 exclusives.

Musashi Wins! said:
He's at least interesting. Same with Eurogamer, some of you people are big babies about that shit.

Wow, people find Chick's current shtick "interesting"?

I liked his stuff when he wrote for Computer Gaming, he's bearable and clever when writing about the right subject.

Tonza

Click said:
I wish Halo (2, 3) and Gears of War (2) wasn't exclusive. then i wouldn't have to second guess everyone's opinion for or against it when compared to Call of Duty (2, 3, 4, WaW).

See what I did there?

Ofcourse it works both ways.

And generally some Sony "fans" are really eager to call out trolls or "xbots" when it comes to exclusive games. That's not to say that there aren't any of those but really the overly defensive attitude is annoying. This could be that just lately there's been so much PS3 exclusive stuff so the other camp hasn't had anything to defend.

That said I have inFAMOUS preordered and last time I preordered something was Infinite Undiscovery and that was for the preorder bonus. (which burned me some)

And I agree with Majora about the Eurogamer thing. Just some time ago they gave PS3 Exclusive Demon's soul 9/10 which was concidered a great score/review for the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You guys just pick out games your fighting for not getting 9's or 10's and ignore other stuff. Carry on, system warriors.

I haven't looked at this one, but yea, I like when Chick plays games for weeks and talks about them like Sacred and such. He often picks games that are on the sort of edge of the enthusiast interest and gives them attention. It's a pretty active blog, so I doubt it's all of stunning quality.

Still, ban any site that isn't on your system knob, right? lulz.

thuway

Musashi Wins! said:
You guys just pick out games your fighting for not getting 9's or 10's and ignore other stuff. Carry on, system warriors.

I haven't looked at this one, but yea, I like when Chick plays games for weeks and talks about them like Sacred and such. He often picks games that are on the sort of edge of the enthusiast interest and gives them attention. It's a pretty active blog, so I doubt it's all of stunning quality.

What the fuck does this even mean.

"5) Infamous is great about not letting you accidentally run off a ledge. Thanks for that, Sucker Punch! However, there is no easy way to go from standing on a ledge to dangling from it. Which wouldn't be a big deal if Infamous didn't constantly position collectibles in such a way that you have to jump off a ledge and then quickly turn around and grab it. This is worst when it's over water, which is instantly fatal to Coll."

Um, what? Last I checked you just hit circle, for example on a rooftop, and he will switch and dangle from the ledge?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Facism said:
I've read about people who receive their orders from Play.com before or on release.

Personally, they always manage to send my orders on release day so it arrives either monday or tuesday the next week :/

I have no experience with amazon. I wouldn't be preordering through play.com if it wasn't for the uncharted beta.
Thanks for replying, Live. Right, play.com it is!

IJoel

8) Just when you think Infamous isn't going to pull any of Sony's mandatory Sixaxis shenanigans, you get your final power. Because it wouldn't be a PS3 game without a Sixaxis controller gimmick!

Please tell me this is false, or at least optional.

Dre

MvmntInGrn said:
"5) Infamous is great about not letting you accidentally run off a ledge. Thanks for that, Sucker Punch! However, there is no easy way to go from standing on a ledge to dangling from it. Which wouldn't be a big deal if Infamous didn't constantly position collectibles in such a way that you have to jump off a ledge and then quickly turn around and grab it. This is worst when it's over water, which is instantly fatal to Coll."

Um, what? Last I checked you just hit circle, for example on a rooftop, and he will switch and dangle from the ledge?
So basically it works like in Uncharted ?

IJoel said:
it's basically optional, from me understanding you can partly direct the direction of that last attack.

And what the hell is #5, it's called a circle button. Anyone one spent 10 minutes with the demo knew that...

IJoel said:
If he is talking about the lightning then you can control it with the sixaxis if you wish, it seems more for small changes though, I played the demo and used the power several times before I know you could control it in any way. Works fine either way, dosen't feel awkward.

newsguy

I gotta say, after playing the demo I don't know what early complaints were about. This game is badass, very fluid movements. It was challenging too. I'm excited for next week.

IJoel

I'll still get it, but something like this is pretty annoying. Hopefully it's not too bad. The one thing I thought when I saw Trico's video was "please no motion controls".

Dre said:
So basically it works like in Uncharted ?

From the demo:

If you are on a rooftop run toward the edge (cole does not fall automatically) and press "O" he drops and hold onto the ledge.

Just checked it.

EDIT: People the game has gotten a lot of good reviews too you know, don't dwell on just one guy ranting, especially if you know from the past you don't tend to agree with him.
EDIT2:
5) Infamous is great about not letting you accidentally run off a ledge. Thanks for that, Sucker Punch! However, there is no easy way to go from standing on a ledge to dangling from it. Which wouldn't be a big deal if Infamous didn't constantly position collectibles in such a way that you have to jump off a ledge and then quickly turn around and grab it. This is worst when it's over water, which is instantly fatal to Coll.

Unless I am reading this wrong or the final game changed it (highly unlikely) its incorrect.

Dre

MvmntInGrn said:
From the demo:

If you are on a rooftop run toward the edge (cole does not fall automatically) and press "O" he drops and hold onto the ledge.

Just checked it.
Awesome, so it's like Uncharted and that's good news.
Thanks.

Dre said:
Awesome, so it's like Uncharted and that's good news.
Thanks.

I figured maybe it just works on roof tops but it works with anything isn't very short (to which Cole just jumps off, like the small fences by the ocean, which basically are too short to hang from anyway) rooftops, poles, sides of buildings, power lines, signs, etc.

Click

Banned
Tonza said:
And generally some Sony "fans" are really eager to call out trolls or "xbots" when it comes to exclusive games. That's not to say that there aren't any of those but really the overly defensive attitude is annoying. This could be that just lately there's been so much PS3 exclusive stuff so the other camp hasn't had anything to defend.

And I agree with Majora about the Eurogamer thing. Just some time ago they gave PS3 Exclusive Demon's soul 9/10 which was concidered a great score/review for the game.

"Overly defensive?"
Nah, not really.

I spot and call out trolls/Xbots whenever I have enough time or patience to bother with it.
You know why? Because it's "annoying" seeing every positive or PS3-exclusive related thread get trolled on hard and nothing is ever done about it by the mods most of the time. They usually are allowed to run wild on GAF so when they get out of hand, I feel the desire to drive them back into their caves.

It works sometimes, other times, it doesn't and it's impossible to weed out every troll on this forum. But it's better than to do nothing and see post after post of (stealth) trolling and/or flaming everyday.

Demon's Souls....
Oh, you mean 1 exclusive PS3 game that's only available in Asia only?
What does that review have to do with this discussion?

Musashi Wins! said:

You mean THIS and THIS and THIS and didn't happen? And those were just the times I can even remember off the top of my head, that proves Eurogamer is a ridiculous gaming review site.

Oh, and let's not forget their top 50 games of 2007 and 2008 lists...

Sure, they named LBP as their top game of 2008 but it was one of the only PS3 exclusive game in the top 30. They were like "Oh hey, we can't look like we're clueless and biased, so let's throw LBP up there to shut the PS3 fans up."

P.S. MGS4 was #30, lol.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
*reads Tom Chick's write up*

A corny story in a sandbox superhero game? No way! Color me shocked. We'll just leave his incorrect gameplay notes to speak for themselves too. Meh. What do people want? The Dark Knight or something (which was filled with its own corny shit)?

mintylurb

Musashi Wins! said:

Oh, come on now. In just about every gaming threads folks whine about review scores. It's gaf tradition.

Anyway, I can't wait for gamespot's infamous review. I haven't seen any infamous ads on gamespot's site so I'm expecting the game to get a 6.5.

Click said:
See what I did there?
erm, yeah. you imprinted a bias on me that isn't there.

there are definitely people slating this game purely because they only own a 360. there are definitely people slating Prototype purely because inFAMOUS is exclusive.

telling which from which is pretty damn impossible.

it wasn't written to attack mindless sony fans, or mindless xbots. it was just written to attack the mindless whichever 'team' they've used their complete lack of critical reasoning to decide to support.

we can only guess who is coming from which agenda. i was just saying 'wouldn't it be nice if there was NO reason for anyone to have an agenda on it'.

i suppose if you like, you can change my comment to say 'wouldn't it be nice if both games were exclusive'. wouldn't work quite as well, but if that sits better with you then you can pretend i wrote that.

i don't begrudge anyone exclusives frankly.

Click

Banned
plagiarize said:
erm, yeah. you imprinted a bias on me that isn't there.

there are definitely people slating this game purely because they only own a 360. there are definitely people slating Prototype purely because inFAMOUS is exclusive.

telling which from which is pretty damn impossible.

it wasn't written to attack mindless sony fans, or mindless xbots. it was just written to attack the mindless whichever 'team' they've used their complete lack of critical reasoning to decide to support.

we can only guess who is coming from which agenda. i was just saying 'wouldn't it be nice if there was NO reason for anyone to have an agenda on it'.

i suppose if you like, you can change my comment to say 'wouldn't it be nice if both games were exclusive'. wouldn't work quite as well, but if that sits better with you then you can pretend i wrote that.

i don't begrudge anyone exclusives frankly.

"Imprinted a bias on me..."
WTF? Damn man, you must be on drugs if though I did that with my simple post.

You obviously did not "see" what I did.
I was trying to convey the fact that your statement could be applied to all exclusive games when compared to another game that isn't an exclusive.

Oh, and Prototype isn't even all that similar to inFAMOUS. The only similarity between the 2 games is the fact that they're both considered to be in the same genre... a "sandbox," open-world action game genre.

Majora

Click said:
Demon's Souls....

Oh, and let's not forget their top 50 games of 2007 and 2008 lists...

Sure, they named LBP as their top game of 2008 but it was one of the only PS3 exclusive game in the top 30. They were like "Oh hey, we can't look like we're clueless and biased, so let's throw LBP up there to shut the PS3 fans up."

P.S. MGS4 was #30, lol.

You're crazy man. Off the top of my head Eurogamer have given 9/10 to Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Nobi Nobi Boy, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and 8/10 to the likes of Siren, Ratchet and Clank, MGS, Everyday Shooter, Motorstorm....and I'm sure there are more I've missed.

God the bias is just dripping off them! Damn those xbots!

h3ro

Majora said:
You're crazy man. Off the top of my head Eurogamer have given 9/10 to Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Nobi Nobi Boy, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD and 8/10 to the likes of Siren, Ratchet and Clank, MGS, Everyday Shooter, Motorstorm....and I'm sure there are more I've missed.

Off the top of your head? 13 games?

Wow. I wish my brain worked like an Excel spreadsheet.

Thrakier

I don't give a fuck about the EG review. I played the demo and after five minutes I instantly recgonized that I didn't have so much PLAIN FUN playing a game for a long time. It's a must have and a game with a lot of love and care in it and you can feel it.

Oh yeah, the complaint about coles powers are like normal shooter weapons is one of the most stupid things I ever read.

Thrakier said:
I don't give a fuck about the EG review. I played the demo and after five minutes I instantly recgonized that I didn't have so much PLAIN FUN playing a game for a long time. It's a must have and a game with a lot of love and care in it and you can feel it.

Oh yeah, the complaint about coles powers are like normal shooter weapons is one of the most stupid things I ever read.

yes but you know, some gafers need their reviews to sleep better at night.
"oh yeah, this game is awesome, i'm glad it got a x/10 from site y, i'm enjoying it a lot now"
:lol

Click said:
"Imprinted a bias on me..."
WTF? Damn man, you must be on drugs if though I did that with my simple post.

You obviously did not "see" what I did.
I was trying to convey the fact that your statement could be applied to all exclusive games when compared to another game that isn't an exclusive.

Oh, and Prototype isn't even all that similar to inFAMOUS. The only similarity between the 2 games is the fact that they're both considered to be in the same genre... a "sandbox," open-world action game genre.
really? those are the only similarities? the games are very similar i would argue. i mean, they definitely have different focuses and appeals, but there are plainly many more similarities than between Halo/Gears and the Call of Duty games.

it's unfortunate if you ask me that both these games are coming out so close to each other. i only see that hurting sales for both frankly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So the game could score a 5 and based off the demo, I wouldn't care. If I like a game enough I will buy. I won't buy every game.

Tonza

Click said:
"Overly defensive?"
Nah, not really.

I spot and call out trolls/Xbots whenever I have enough time or patience to bother with it.
You know why? Because it's "annoying" seeing every positive or PS3-exclusive related thread get trolled on hard and nothing is ever done about it by the mods most of the time. They usually are allowed to run wild on GAF so when they get out of hand, I feel the desire to drive them back into their caves.

It works sometimes, other times, it doesn't and it's impossible to weed out every troll on this forum. But it's better than to do nothing and see post after post of (stealth) trolling and/or flaming everyday.

Demon's Souls....

Well Im not going to argue more because I think its moot (and I see your point)but yeah I know there are people like Gantz that have trolled this thread but I don't see that many blatant trolls around here. Atleast compared to other sites. And Demon's souls was just an example of reviews that are concidered good even though they are from a site that "should be banned".

LiquidMetal14 said:
So the game could score a 5 and based off the demo, I wouldn't care. If I like a game enough I will buy. I won't buy every game.

Well its not like the game has even gotten a bad score. All 8+ with the exception on EuroGamer, and 7 isn't exactly bad you know.

Not to mention if someone played the demo and liked it most will know whether its for them or not.

Thread needs cool down.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Whatever happened to just enjoying the games you want to play and not worrying about scores? I miss old days, I REALLY DO! Now a days, if a game gets anything less than 9/A, everyone is like, fuck it! I'm cancelling my pre-order. Its ridiculous how dependant gamers are on scores these days.

ilanna said:
Whatever happened to just enjoying the games you want to play and not worrying about scores? I miss old days, I REALLY DO! Now a days, if a game gets anything less than 9/A, everyone is like, fuck it! I'm cancelling my pre-order. Its ridiculous how dependant gamers are on scores these days.

This is true, i can understand the wanting for reviews when there isn't a demo. Thats about it though...

You know what you'll like best.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ilanna said:

This, and sales.

I blame the internetz tbh, this information is so easily available to us these days, I can't believe all those years ago I used to walk into a shop and just buy a game based solely on the cassette cover art and synopsis on the inlay, ahhhhhh, those we're the days.

Xater

mintylurb said:
I'm sorry. Any gaming website that gives gundam dynasty warriors 2 an 8 is a credible site imho!

And there I thought it could not get worse from giving Saints Row 2 a 9/10. :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Majora said:

They gave LBP game of the year to throw people off their scent. Christ, internet people are nuts. Anyhow, that was actually a pretty good review at EG.

Top Bottom