• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Ryan Phillippe to play Iron Fist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhengi

Nick Fury was white and they got a white guy to play him in the movies.

Not that I want an Asian to play Iron Fist, but some of the comments in this thread *shake*

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They could satisfy both groups by making Daniel Rand half asian half white. His father Wendell Rand could be Asian, which would be an easy way to show him first visiting Kun'lun, while his mother is an American Wendell married. The family goes back to the homeland of his father for a visit, a place Daniel doesn't understand or care for, Tragedy happens and Daniel finds safety in Kun'lun.

It is pretty obvious which people know who Iron Fist is and those that don't.

Also we are likely going to have this problem with Dr. Strange unless they are smart enough to have a lot of the students there be multiracial.

CryptiK

Nick Fury was white and they got a black guy to play him in the movies.

Not that I want an Asian to play Iron Fist, but some of the comments in this thread *shake*
Nick Fury(Ultimates) was also Black before the movies. Should be shaking at your own comment there.

Sephzilla

Nick Fury was white and they got a white guy to play him in the movies.

Sam Jackson Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe predates Sam Jackson Nick Fury in the Movie Universe

UltimateNickFury.jpg

edit- beaten

Slayven

Sam Jackson Nick Fury in the Ultimate Universe predates Sam Jackson Nick Fury in the Movie Universe

UltimateNickFury.jpg

edit- beaten

Sam actually told them they could use his likeness but only if he get to play Nick in the movie. Sam probably thought nothing would come of it.

Is it more racist that an Asian actor can't be cast as Iron Fist cast coz he's a blonde guy in the comics...

..or that non comic readers assume he was Asian because he's a Marital Arts hero?

Bebpo

Banned
Would love to see the other Immortal Weapons, but I doubt they're going to dive into them in the first season.

If they don't do the first major story arc with the immortal weapon tournament, the whole point of an Iron Fist show will be wasted. Just having him beat up Hydra thugs for an entire season would be incredibly dull and probably get the show cancelled.

They don't need to go super crazy mystical CG in season one, but they need to at least have Orson and some of the Immortal Weapons. The Tournament arc would be awesome and really shouldn't be prohibitively expensive if they just set the tournament location to NYC.

bro1

Banned
Captain America should be black. Iron Man should be played by an Indian.

Or we should not make every last thing into a race issue for no goddamn reason.

Slayven

If they don't do the first major story arc with the immortal weapon tournament, the whole point of an Iron Fist show will be wasted. Just having him beat up Hydra thugs for an entire season would be incredibly dull and probably get the show cancelled.

They don't need to go super crazy mystical CG in season one, but they need to at least have Orson and some of the Immortal Weapons. The Tournament arc would be awesome and really shouldn't be prohibitively expensive if they just set the tournament location to NYC.

Archie Kao as Dog Brother Number 1

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What the FUCK at people wanting Danny to be Asian. I can only imagine they never touched a comic book and just assumed "kung fu guy so must be asian"

suzu

Not that I care too much about the casting, but some people keep assuming Asian = Asian American/or any other westernized country. It's not the same.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So wait, why is there outrage about the white character being played by a white guy?

It's an overall larger issue of many of the most popular comic characters being white. Since many of the movie and TV show adaptions today are based on those comics, most of the characters are going to be white. Iron Fist comes from the 70's, a time when Martial Arts and Asian Mysticism became very popular in America. It follows the "Outsider visits an unknown place, trains, and ends up being the best or chosen". Iron Fist was made white likely because it was supposed to relate to their largest reader group, white males.

Slayven

Janet Pym went from white to asian. Nick Fury went from white to black. Marvel's changed race before between interpretations of the same character.

Ultimate Wasp shouldn't be a badg of honor. In fact, the Ultimate were shit and gladly forgotten.

guek

Banned
So Moon Knight should be egyptian?

He could be. Why not? I don't think many people are saying Danny should be asian, just that he could be and still be great. Speaking personally, as an Asian American who grew up with extremely few media role models that looked like me, I see casting an asian Danny to be a viable choice without sacrificing much, if anything, from the character. Having a great asian superhero would have been great as a kid and I think it would positively impact millions of asian kids growing up now. The switch in ethnicity also feels natural to me and could see the adaptation going smoothly. Why is it wrong to think this way? None of this means that a white Danny is somehow offensive or a terrible idea. I don't see any problem with thinking it'd be nice to have.

Slayven

I will just say this. I am gainst race switch characters cause 9/10 there is a character that fits profile already in existence. Asian Iron Fist? Give me Amaduos Cho or Mickey Musashi. instead.

I love diversity but i hate tokenism.

guek

Banned
As far as costumes, yeah no doubt Ultimate Universe has some dope costumes. But as far as storylines and character development no way.

Dude. Ultimate Spider-man is godly. Millar's Ultimates Run was pretty decent. Hickman's Ultimates arc was fucking amazing. There's a respectable amount of fun stories elsewhere too. Both Tony Stark and Nick Fury in the MCU are much more like their Ultimate version than 616. The ultimate universe gave us plenty of great stuff that echoes on in the MCU. Was it perfect? Hell no, a lot of it ended up becoming garbage, but let's not say there wasn't anything good that came from that universe. Ultimate Janet Pym is not a bad character anyway.

just put Shang-Chi in it as Danny's companion, problem solved

As long as he's not a side-kick, sure. Shang-Chi needs to be a fuckin beast, someone that would go toe-to-toe with MCU cap due to shear skill alone.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
The MCU owes alot aesthetically to the Ultimates, not to mention black Nick Fury.

a lot? Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Falcon,

Guardians dont look like anything
Cap looks like he was ripped from a Steve Englehart scrap book
Iron Man was the 616 Extremis inspired look
Hulk is definitely a different hulk and banner

Ultimates was a huge vol 1 success but it quickly fizzled and its plan to remold and become the prime marvel U got kicked in the dick when other things like Marvel Knights and Marvel Maxx took off by the heroic age/ secret invasion / Dark Reign era it was over for anything Ultimate Marvel style.......

guek

Banned
I will just say this. I am gainst race switch characters cause 9/10 there is a character that fits profile already in existence. Asian Iron Fist? Give me Amaduos Cho or Mickey Musashi. instead.

I love diversity but i hate tokenism.

Amadeus and Mickey are not on Danny's level as a property or character. Neither is Shang-Chi. When was the last time you saw a great run of Shang-Chi comics? There are no Asian characters available to the MCU that is comparable to Iron Fist in terms of character popularity and depth of comics history, and Iron Fist is B-tier at best. That's pretty sad. Kamala is probably more popular but she's a really young character without a lot of history. People are clamoring for her too but we probably wont see her in the MCU until 2019 at the absolute earliest.

number47

a lot? Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Fury, Ultimate Falcon,

Guardians dont look like anything
Cap looks like he was ripped from a Steve Englehart scrap book
Iron Man was the 616 Extremis inspired look
Hulk is definitely a different hulk and banner

Ultimates was a huge vol 1 success but it quickly fizzled and its plan to remold and become the prime marvel U got kicked in the dick when other things like Marvel Knights and Marvel Maxx took off by the heroic age/ secret invasion / Dark Reign era it was over for anything Ultimate Marvel style.......
Dude.check your timeline. Ultimates 2 was just as great and came before dark reigns. Ultimates 3 on the other hand makes great toilet tissue.

D i Z

I have to laugh at this "rumor" article that basically speculates that he could play any of the main roles yet to be revealed in the entire Netflix phase 3 production cycle. Is he Iron Fist? Is he Bullseye? How about the Punisher? None of the above?
Just because he's in talks for something, doesn't tie it to Iron Fist at all.
I think he'd be a decent Danny, but he's a bit old to jump into that role.

number47

Amadeus and Mickey are not on Danny's level as a property or character. Neither is Shang-Chi. When was the last time you saw a great run of Shang-Chi comics? There are no Asian characters available to the MCU that is comparable to Iron Fist in terms of character popularity and depth of comics history, and Iron Fist is B-tier at best. That's pretty sad. Kamala is probably more popular but she's a really young character without a lot of history. People are clamoring for her too but we probably wont see her in the MCU until 2019 at the absolute earliest.
Daken, psylocke ,x-23 ,morph? I think you're starting to lose sight of what you're saying.

Slayven

as far as the tv/movie audience are concern they are on the same level. Unknowned, like the rest of the marvel universe.

He could be. Why not? I don't think many people are saying Danny should be asian, just that he could be and still be great. Speaking personally, as an Asian American who grew up with extremely few media role models that looked like me, I see casting an asian Danny to be a viable choice without sacrificing much, if anything, from the character. Having a great asian superhero would have been great as a kid and I think it would positively impact millions of asian kids growing up now. The switch in ethnicity also feels natural to me and could see the adaptation going smoothly. Why is it wrong to think this way? None of this means that a white Danny is somehow offensive or a terrible idea. I don't see any problem with thinking it'd be nice to have.

I can see both sides of this. I am also an Asian-American and I think they can do a lot with Iron Fist as an Asian-American character. There's a lot of story to mine about an AA trying to balance his Western upbringing with his Eastern roots. It's a problem that a lot of AA are experiencing. I think it adds a lot to the character.

As as an Asian-American, let me tell you that to me, the culturally appropriating white savior with Asian sidekicks trope is much worse than the all Asian know Kung Fu stereotype (to me).

But I also understand fans who want Iron Fist to look the way he always looks. I still can't really accept Michael B Jordan as Johnny Storm because I love the FF and I want him to look right. I mean, I even had a problem with Chris Evans because the buzzcut did not look right at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom