• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think they should involve Mistwalker in this project. I believe I read somewhere that FF7 came to be during a rough period in Sakaguchi's life. It wouldn't be proper to exclude Uematsu and Sakaguchi either.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Someone in the "What is it about FFVII in particular that made people crave a remake so badly?" thread mentioned that 7 was the last cool Final Fantasy setting that wasn't completely ridiculous. Thinking about it a little more I actually think I am kind of prone to agree. FFVI and FFVII's worlds are over the top but somehow manages to retain a grit and believably to it (as well as other games before it), but one issue I had with 8 onwards was that the worlds just didn't feel believable to me.

That's easily one of 7 's greatest strengths- this industrial pseudo future that has real dirt and pollution. It feels lived in. There are slums.

Square never created another world with a similar setting, and it's absolutely one of the most appealing things about the game.

Wazzy

Banned
Watch them switch things up and Tifa dies in place of Aeris. I'd be ok with that actually as I always wanted Cloud to end up with feisty Aeris instead of that basic flop Tifa.

Aeris >>>> Tifa
OMG preach it sis!

You have my buster sword.

They better leave the aspect of you deciding who Cloud ends up with in

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They did alter some events. Off the top of my head, they expanded on Cecil's parents and Golbez's youth with flashbacks, they changed the infamous scene where Golbez is reduced to a disembodied hand yet remains alive, they made it so that the guest characters rejoin your party at the end instead of just encouraging you.

Interesting. Was it anything sacreligous that took away from what the original game had in mind or it was all more or less relevant additions?

I'm going to have to make a commitment and get through all of the games again someday.

That's easily one of 7 's greatest strengths- this industrial pseudo future that has real dirt and pollution. It feels lived in. There are slums.

Square never created another world with a similar setting, and it's absolutely one of the most appealing things about the game.

I agree. It definitely rooted it in reality and you could feel how it relates to social issues we deal with -- even in this "fantasy setting" we have corruption and dystopian aspects

z8HlduN.jpg

Auron is in the trailer.

Shouta

I'll probably draw flak for this but I'd really prefer that they toned down or got rid of the love triangle between Tifa/Cloud/Aeris so they can focus on making the connection between Aeris and Zack stronger. It'd be part of integrating him more into the story, not directly but better referencing him and all that. I mean, there is that element already in the story but I'd really like them to make it clearer.

Granted, that's if I had my way with it but Zack gonna get the short end of the stick again. ;_;

Customization would be awesome. Offer new default costumes for characters but also offer "classic" or make the old ones unlockable

Yeah, this could be the ideal.

By the way, I don't think this outfit is too sexy:

They could make her skirt longer and that would be all right to me. The concept white top + black skirt + suspenders + gloves + sneakers is all I care. They can modify the size to cover more of her skin if that's the case

Wazzy

Banned
I'll probably draw flak for this but I'd really prefer that they toned down or got rid of the love triangle between Tifa/Cloud/Aeris so they can focus on making the connection between Aeris and Zack stronger. It'd be part of integrating him more into the story, not directly but better referencing him and all that. I mean, there is that element already in the story but I'd really like them to make it clearer.

Granted, that's if I had my way with it but Zack gonna get the short end of the stick again. ;_;
The problem is Zack and Aeris's connection is never meant to be that big. It's why VII ignores most of it with only some mentions of Zack.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
More thoughts on changes I'd like as I continue replaying the game~

Make the Temple of the Ancients puzzle a playable puzzle! It could be a fun simple lil thing like most puzzles in the game are and gives Cait Sith more time ta shine. But... don't reintroduce him until the second discs escape from Junon segment.

While doing the Wutai pagoda I thought something similar could be done for the KotR materia. Makes its cave several stories where ya gotta beat 13 knight-like bosses ta earn the materia.

No more permanant missables!! Just expand Bone Village abit an make everything dig-upable!

Make the 1/35th Soldier items a collectible! Think of the toy capsules in Shenmue in which ya can view the lil toy figures. These Soldier toys could include the various Shinra MP types, Turks, famous SOLDIERs like Sephiroth, Zack (not findable until late game obviously),
Angeal, Genesis
!

Also the affection system could use a revamp. More dialogue choices, more often!

Maybe?
3PBAEZD.jpg

Also, it has a train moving. Could be the train that avalanche is in?
I find problems with them being the same place. I mean, while the playground in the remake's teaser resembles the original one, it doesn't look like it's the slums. If it is, they really fucked up with showing how desloate and beaten down the slums are supposed to be, ESPECIALLY with all those shiny sky scrapers in the background. Stuff like that was supposed to be on the upper plate sectors, not the slums. Also, there's too much light to be underneath the plate. The slums were in a state of perpetual night because the sun was obscured by the plate above(the rotting pizza). A lot of the teaser(the train station, the playground) seems to take place on the upper plate, while the transition from point 0:59 and after is into the slum area and the contrast between the upper plate.

The only problem I had with that teaser was that a lot of the "upper plate" people were seen in the slums. Well, not a problem with the people more than what they were dressed in. They looked too chic to be mingling with the downtrodden. Though, I can guess it was simply just a mock-up for the time being.

Tifa needs a new outfit, the miniskirt is too silly, it was ok with stylized graphics like those early PS1 polygons, but with a more realistic look it doesn't work (see Quiet). Her redesign in Advent Children was awesome, so they can do something similar.

She's not going to be redesigned. This is FFVII-era version of Tifa, pre-AC and after. She's going to be dressed like she was in the original, or at least a tweaked version that draws HEAVILY inspiration from the original, like the flashback scene from the opening of AC. We aren't going to get "modestly dressed" Tifa.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Personally, I think they should involve Mistwalker in this project. I believe I read somewhere that FF7 came to be during a rough period in Sakaguchi's life. It wouldn't be proper to exclude Uematsu and Sakaguchi either.

They dont want to be apart of SE anymore, they have their own projects and are happily divorced based on Sakaguchi's statements. Also, Mistwalker is not a large studio, there are only several people making mobile games at this point in time.

OMG preach it sis!

You have my buster sword.

They better leave the aspect of you deciding who Cloud ends up with in

Only one dies. There you go.

Wazzy

Banned
They dont want to be apart of SE anymore, they have their own projects and are happily divorced based on Sakaguchi's statements. Also, Mistwalker is not a large studio, there are only several people making mobile games at this point in time.

Only one dies. There you go.
Love beyond the grave yo.

Plus something about them always being connected blah blah

I was watching the Gamersyde video, it looks like "OPEN JUNE 15 JUNON DRIVE".. maybe Junon's drive in theater

Edit: Tifa vs. Aerith is about to get real again lol

Yeah. I also see "open june 15 junon drive" looking at it in their copy of the trailer.

That's a really cool easter egg. I'd love a PE PS4 game someday.

Shouta

The problem is Zack and Aeris's connection is never meant to be that big. It's why VII ignores most of it with only some mentions of Zack.

But it's played up in the material that came up after it, heh. I think FF7 is a better tale with Zack being a more notable existence in the story than note, personally. If there's anything good that came out of The Compilation of FF7, it was his expanded presence.

wmlk

But it's played up in the material that came up after it, heh. I think FF7 is a better tale with Zack being a more notable existence in the story than note, personally. If there's anything good that came out of The Compilation of FF7, it was his expanded presence.

And the Turks.

I don't think you can go wrong either way with how you include Zack in FFVII. Zack overall was great.

It's been a while since I played FF7 but I barely remember Zack and don't give two craps about him

If they do expand his presence I hope it makes sense in the context of the game and doesn't require me to be familiar with the compilation material

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zack was Aerith's ex. Not sure why you'd tone down Aerith as a potential love interest when Zack is dead and gone?

Wazzy

Banned
Zack was Aerith's ex. Not sure why you'd tone down Aerith as a potential love interest when Zack is dead and gone?
Pretty much.

Zack is her young love and then she grows up and falls for Cloud.

I'm personally mixed on Zack's story. On one hand, I did really like his character in CC and his design was great. On the other, his scenes stealing iconic moments from Cloud, having way too much influence when the original game ignores it and his ridiculous over done ending when the original get's right to the point and is far more brutal makes me hesitant about him. If they want to have his influence a bit more in the remake, I think it should go solely to Cloud since his connection is far more important to his character.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Love beyond the grave yo.

Plus something about them always being connected blah blah

Eh, i don't think that's even a factor in regards to the outcome of the pairings. In the end, everyone is connected through the lifestream which is a really great mental image in of itself.

I would expect both Aerith and Tifa's bonds to be shown in different but equal manners for this story in a set scenario(although the date scene i think they'll let you choose just to give a nod to the original)

In the original(and even in AC) it almost felt almost like a 3 way relationship where Tifa and Cloud both acknowledged Aerith in some kind of weird intangible way as someone of equal standing, i really liked that so i hope they keep and expand on that dynamic.

Regardless of that, i do have my biases so who i want to see shown more of, so there's that in addition

Meowster

This is true. Zack's small cameo is part of what makes him so great and interesting. He doesn't need any more time.

Razmos

Lmao, I just reached the part on the Cargo Ship. How on earth are they going to render Red XIII standing on his hind legs dressed in a Shinra uniform pretending to be human?

And the goddamn dolphin jump sequence, and the parade, ahaha.

Fdkn

I don't expect the dolphin on the remake at all. Goofy moments are one thing but that is just absurd. I'd take an infiltration minigame instead.

Yeah, FF7 as is feels kinda lacking without really explaining what happened in Crisis Core. Not that we need to revisit all the Angeal/Genesis shenanigans but at the very least we could use a few flashbacks of Cloud and Zack's relationship

wmlk

FFVII setting doesn't hold up much outside Midgar and few other locations, I much prefer FFIX's overall setting.

Midgar is one of the most iconic locations in video game history. Even if you say it doesn't hold up, the whole point of a remake is to make it hold up as well as it did 20 years ago.

I prefer FFIX's overall narrative, but Midgar is a location that's brought up by a lot of people. It's pretty special.

Yeah, that was a great setting.

Wazzy

Banned
Eh, i don't think that's even a factor in regards to the outcome of the pairings. In the end, everyone is connected through the lifestream which is a really great mental image in of itself.

I would expect both Aerith and Tifa's bonds to be shown in different but equal manners for this story in a set scenario(although the date scene i think they'll let you choose just to give a nod to the original)

In the original(and even in AC) it almost felt almost like a 3 way relationship where Tifa and Cloud both acknowledged Aerith in some kind of weird intangible way as someone of equal standing, i really liked that so i hope they keep and expand on that dynamic.

Regardless of that, i do have my biases so who i want to see shown more of, so there's that in addition
Well I say they solve the LT by making it a threeway relationship!

But on a serious note, I understand having a biased. For me, I prefer the more tragic approach because it really is what makes the game stand out. The impact is so much bigger when you have Cloud losing someone he loved.

But as I've said before, the creators don't want the LT solved. They've purposely avoided answering it because the original is vague and open ended. I mean, imagine if AC never happened and peoples last moment was the ending? Where humanity might have died?

This is true. Zack's small cameo is part of what makes him so great and interesting. He doesn't need any more time.
Exactly. I think you get enough of him anyway once you realize who he is in the misrepresented scenes.

Interesting. Was it anything sacreligous that took away from what the original game had in mind or it was all more or less relevant additions?

Seemed relevant to me. The most controversial change I think was the removal of Golbez's disembodied, creeping, talking hand. I'm not that much of an FFIV fan though so I'm not sure what's the consensus in the fanbase.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Vincent needs 1-2, 2-2, and 3-2 Limit Breaks...
...an make 'em based on his gunplay as opposed ta more transformations.

Red XIII's Sled Fang oughta be replaced by Blood Fang straight up and have something new replace Blood Fang.

Cait Sith should at least get a Level 3 limit. Based maybe on playing cards?

Meowster

It's interesting to me how close Aerith and Tifa were to each other. If you don't have either of them in your current party, they are always out together and having a good time. I hope they keep this relationship in-game.

Yeah, this could be the ideal.

By the way, I don't think this outfit is too sexy:
tifa_1280_1024-794754.jpg

They could make her skirt longer and that would be all right to me. The concept white top + black skirt + suspenders + gloves + sneakers is all I care. They can modify the size to cover more of her skin if that's the case

Yeah, I always thought this would be fine for the classic outfit option thanks to AC. And like you said they can modify it a bit more if they want to.

It's interesting to me how close Aerith and Tifa were to each other. If you don't have either of them in your current party, they are always out together and having a good time. I hope they keep this relationship in-game.

Yeah.

FFVII setting doesn't hold up much outside Midgar and few other locations, I much prefer FFIX's overall setting.

Interesting...I find IX more charming (who doesn't) but...none of the locations feel as iconic for me as places like Midgar do. I can think of more quirky/landmark/interesting things (again, imo) from VII locations like Kalm (yeah...a medieval/steampunk looking town in a dirty industrial cyberpunk world), Junon (the cannon obvs), Nibelheim etc. I mean for me it's mostly nostalgia but y'know.

It's because FFVII's setting is not focused into one sole setting. It's comprised of different settings, and the multiple settings contrast with each other to show the nature of the world they live in. I have a feeling that's what FFXV is doing too.

alexein

guys you argue about tifa / aerith but what i'm interested to see are the summons.
Finally they will be usefull again which they werent in the 13rd installment.
shiva,ifrit, bahamut, ramuh, phoenix, knight of the rounds...
i love how they were super powerfull and have utiity in 7-8 but after not so much in 9 since only 2 character were able to do it, and 10 where they were mostly a shield.
I hope that they will do it like 10 a scene that can select to pass.
and i hope for some new summons Alexander...

I don't expect that to happen. I do wonder how significant story changes will be though. What if we can actually save Aerith?

Kadin

I know there aren't many right now but which current version of FFVII would most people say is the best to play?

I can't watch that teaser without crying.

I still can't accept it exists and SE is doing it.

I'm fighting back tears of joy.

Man, I'm a fan of Max's too. I saw his salty video of the PC to PS4 announcement.

God, I've watched that trailer at least 20 times since it hit YouTube and can't avoid crying every time.

Yeah, I've watched it a lot, the dream is finally real (or atleast on it's way). They did a great job with that narrator dialogue as well once you realize he's talking to the fans.

It's because FFVII's setting is not focused into one sole setting. It's comprised of different settings, and the multiple settings contrast with each other to show the nature of the world they live in. I have a feeling that's what FFXV is doing too.

Yeah, it made a nice impact when you got out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom