• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
spineGT5.jpg

offshore said:
And if as Kaz says, that it takes 6 months to model 1 car externally and internally...it's pretty impossible to do 1000 without serious outsourcing.

That statistic is blown out of proportion. If a single person were to model a car in GT5 it would take 6 months. But there are multiple people working on those cars, so it takes much less time.

Where is the media!
It amazes me that this get this stealth released in Japanese. This is probably PD`s idea of a joke.:lol
I remember Kaz saying a while back that PD might surprise people with GT information via their website. I guess he wasnt joking.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm assuming that the 830 cars will have generic interiors (not faithful reproductions of the actual vehicles).

I can't see damange being specific to each vehicle, to be honest.

edit: full real-time collision deformation...that means all vehicles should have damage. I'm assuming deformation + decals are all that's needed. That is, unless they're actually doing additional texture work for damage modelling.

spwolf

Insane Metal said:
Wait, where does this come from? Was there a conference? An announcement? Sorry, I'm at work now and can't search for it, hope somebody helps me out!

Polyphony own website :D

RavenFox

Banned
tapedeck said:
Chill out duder. Im hoping all cars have damage and full interior. We dont know shit yet.
physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover]
Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)

Mr.NiceGuy

amar212 said:
Black Chamber on GTPlanet saves the day untill official transl:

■ models included
1,000 vehicles [I called it - 1,000+ vehicles!]
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, interior corresponds to damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before]

■ Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

■ physical simulation of vehicles
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover!]
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla

■ arcade mode
Single Race
2 player battle

■ GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test

■ Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms

Online Photo Album
ONRAINRIPUREIARUBAMU
YouTube replay output

■ Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

■ Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®
PUROGURESSHIBUDAUNRODO
Improved user interface
Continuous Play

■ Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

■ Sound
Custom soundtracks (PS3 hard-drive .Mp3 usage of songs)

■ User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of KOKUPITTOKAMERA interface (confirmed in three dimensions can be furnished)

My GOD.

amar212 said:
Black Chamber on GTPlanet saves the day untill official transl:

■ models included
1,000 vehicles [I called it - 1,000+ vehicles!]
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, interior corresponds to damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before]

That is the most potentially mind-blowing shit I have ever heard.

ypo

"Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)"

Holyyy shiet. Just like that, another bar has been raised. Analog stick control seems so passe. Time for lesser developers to take some notes.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'll shoot liquid children all over my lcd if the version that's playable on the show floor has damage enabled.

Speaking of which, hey gaming press, where the fuck are you already?!
:lol

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
RavenFox said:
physical simulation of vehicles
:lol Thanks for bolding or I would have missed those. Can we wait a bit for the US site to be updated, thanks.

BeeDog

Wax Free Vanilla said:
How's the head tracking going to work then?

If you turn your head you'll be looking away from the screen.

Game will most likely exaggerate your movements, if you turn your head just a little bit the ingame camera will pan much more.

chubigans said:
Not yet. Wait for the offical translation.

The new thread will just be a "only 170 cars have cockpit view/damage" speculation thread =/

We need a thorough explanation of the information given to us before we spread the word ;)

Wax Free Vanilla said:

Though if you keep your eyes on the TV (the camera will track your head, not the direction of your eyes right?), you will still see the game and the game will show you virtually where you would be looking now if your eyes look straight forward while your head is turned... anybody understands what I mean? :lol

amar212 said:
OK, this has been forgotten due to excitement:

[IG]http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/nws12506063473568327.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/nws12506063474317384.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/nws12506063473942805.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/nws12506063474675442.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/nws12506063475033054.jpg[/IMG]

These are the only types of cars that I expect to have damage in GT5. Everything else will fall under that 830 car count.

amar212 said:
Full translation from the BlackChamber at GTPlanet:

August 18, GamesCom, held in Cologne, Germany: Gran Turismo 5 has been announced! Here is the latest information on the game design:

■ models included
1,000 vehicles
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]

■ Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

■ physical simulation of vehicles

faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model

■ Arcade Mode
Single Race
2 player battle

■ GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test

■ Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms

Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

■ Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

■ Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®
Progressive Download
Improved user interface
Continuous Play for videos

■ Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

■ Sound
Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1

■ User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

Still not night/day and dynamic weather, but still 1000+cars, 80+unique tracks, tuning = jizz.gif

Wax Free Vanilla said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

Angst

BeeDog said:
PSEye head tracking? Shiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Calm down, it was just a wishful guess from my part. :) although I think it should be possible. Extra exciting if you have a pal watching the game and when he turns around the game looks around as well. :lol

Paracelsus

SolidSnakex said:
These are the only types of cars that I expect to have damage in GT5. Everything else will fall under that 830 car count.

You mean it won't have external damage, or just visible internal one?

Pallaris

SolidSnakex said:
That statistic is blown out of proportion. If a single person were to model a car in GT5 it would take 6 months. But there are multiple people working on those cars, so it takes much less time.

Never. Inside out modeling should take 6 weeks tops for an experience modeler. Maybe less on the ones they have full nurbs cad data for. Shaders, rigging/animating etc is another matter entirely though.

No doubt it's a collaborative effort though and getting all those cars in is a mahousive task.

Zhuk

Banned
The updated physics sounds promising, hopefully they have moved to tyre-based physics finally and joined the rest of the industry.

It also looks like weather and night/day modes won't be present either.

So they are saying that only 170 of the cars will have interior modelling and damage, while 830 of the cars will be without these premium features (i.e. no cockpit or damage).

What do you guys think of this? I think that releasing GT5 like this would be like releasing an incomplete game and certainly not up to the standards of perfection that PD's fans expect, or that PD expect of themselves. Maybe Sony is really pressuring them to release the game early? regardless it is very uncharacteristic of them to be only releasing the game with a quarter of the cars completed sounds very strange.

Regardless we should probably wait for clarification instead of relying on a dodgy translation, but still something fishy is going on..

Niks

830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]

Note the "some" not "all"...

So 170 cars have damage + cockpit view
830 cars have no damage + but some of them may not include cockpit view??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom