• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

Kalor

Unless I'm mistaken this day only has four hours left. I don't want to be lynched if the swell doesn't pass on by then.

No we have a day left.
t1438815600z4.png

Unless I'm mistaken this day only has four hours left. I don't want to be lynched if the swell doesn't pass on by then.

Check the third post for remaining time. I wish I could update more at work, but my employer blocks NeoGAF so it's difficult.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Nevermind, 5:00 AM, not 5:00PM.

*Splinter

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, a well thought out post that highlights all the reasons why I look suspicious.

Now for my rebuttal.

I'm the unluckiest person in the world. Goshujinsama and rest were pure coincidences. I just so happened to be the wrong/right post at the wrong time. I will admit that many of my earlier posts were void of analysis and accusations. That was because I was observing and reading what I could. Unfortunately, day one is, from my admittedly limited experience(all of 2 games, 3 if you count this one) always like this. We have to squeeze info from nothing and hope it sticks.

I understand that this probably won't convince you, but it is what it is.
While that's not the strongest defense in the world, I appreciate that it can also be the truth. I came to the same conclusion you did: it is what it is.

My vote remains with tera, and I urge anyone thinking of voting for Rest to consider the situation carefully. Some people have expressed doubt on Rest before now, that's fine, I'm not trying to change any opinions on him as mine aren't that strong to begin with.

I'm personally going to keep my vote on Rest for now, but will consider changing it as we draw closer to the final hour of the Day.

From now on, so as to avoid clutter, I'm not going to be posting decisions with 0 votes on them. If you want to see voting history, consult the spreadsheet in the third post of the thread.

Time Remaining in the Day Phase:
t1438815600z4.png

Current votes
(12 votes needed for majority):
Names with a strike voted, and then unvoted.

A Human Becoming (1)
Crab
*Splinter

Zippedpinhead

TL21xx (2)
franconp
goshujinsama

SalvaPot (1)
Kalor
Pau

Crab

ViviOggi (1)
BarryLocke
kingkitty

Sawneeks (1)
swamped
kgtrep
swamped

Rest (4)
Sawneeks
Kalor
kingkitty
Terrabyte20xx
CornBurrito

Makai (2)
Crab
CzarTim
Zippedpinhead
Pau

kingkitty (3)
AbsolutBro
CzarTim
CornBurrito

ViviOggi
Rest
Hagi

Hagi (1)
Sawneeks
swamped

Terrabyte20xx (1)
Sawneeks
*Splinter

No Punishment (2)
Makai
SalvaPot

Just a reminder, we are playing with a plurality - meaning if one decision has more votes than any other at the end of the Day Phase, that is the decision that goes into effect.

Also, let me know if I made a mistake. It's a little tricky keeping track of votes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently voting SalvaPot; I think you missed it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
While I'm still reading carefully through the thread I've read enough arguments that I'm voting no punishment. It's too much of a risk for Hope. The Night Phase should be more telling.

VOTE: No Punishment

I hope by tonight I'm caught up so I can contribute more.

franconp

While I'm still reading carefully through the thread I've read enough arguments that I'm voting no punishment. It's too much of a risk for Hope. The Night Phase should be more telling.

VOTE: A Human Becoming

First you just post enought to avoid getting a prod, all of your post don't have any info, you didn't gave your opinion on anything saying that you are taking your time making notes and now you vote No Punishment. To me that isn't good for Hope.

Kalor

What arguments exactly pushed you towards this decision?

Welcome TL21xx.

Unvote: TL21xx

Good to see the substitution mechanism works smoothly. We should have all active participants now. I will return with further inputs once I caught up.

Welcome TL21xx.

Unvote: TL21xx

Good to see the substitution mechanism works smoothly. We should have all active participants now. I will return with further inputs once I caught up.

I'm actually a bit surprised it went as quickly as it did. Good communication from everyone involved.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What arguments exactly pushed you towards this decision?
It was actually something kgtrep said a couple days ago in favor of it that made me side with no punishment. He disagreed with Makai that something should be done to save power roles, and instead that those with power roles should stay quiet. He further went on to say that people should be lynched partially so this would go down as the first GAF Mafia to get Despair and if a Hope is mistaken the person did not have a power role.

I see a fault in this argument as from the beginning people who are not inactive have been targeted, despite mixed opinion on whether silence is an indicator of role. If power roles should be quiet and being quiet leads to be voted on, the strategy does not make sense.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Power roles shouldn't be quiet, it makes them stand out from the rest. Well, that's not strictly accurate, they shouldn't be noisy either, they should hide in the middle of the pack - but they shouldn't be explicitly quiet. I find mafia tends to kill people who they suspect, and they suspect people who act differently from the norm.

It was actually something kgtrep said a couple days ago in favor of it that made me side with no punishment. He disagreed with Makai that something should be done to save power roles, and instead that those with power roles should stay quiet. He further went on to say that people should be lynched partially so this would go down as the first GAF Mafia to get Despair and if a Hope is mistaken the person did not have a power role.

I see a fault in this argument as from the beginning people who are not inactive have been targeted, despite mixed opinion on whether silence is an indicator of role. If power roles should be quiet and being quiet leads to be voted on, the strategy does not make sense.

What exactly will we know tomorrow that we don't know today? How much more will we really know? The last mafia games that started with a No Punishment, did they all end Day2 with a sure fire Despair punishment? Was the lynched person someone who was completely unsuspected on day1? These are real questions that I don't know the answer to.

kgtrep

Nice try, but you misread my post, either by mistake or deliberately.

Everyone, if you read my response to Makai's post on #449 (you can see both of our responses for context), you will see that,

(1) I disagreed with Makai's stance that we should do nothing because we can lose a power role.

I said, we have as much chance of losing the person with a power role from the mafia's night kill, so our inaction does not prevent us from saving Hope with power roles.

(2) Reading Makai's response first, it's clear that I meant, Hope with power roles should stay quiet about the role, not about engaging in discussions in the first place. How much each of you decides to talk is not my concern.

kgtrep

(Edit)

(2) In other words, I was agreeing with Makai's stance that Hope with power roles should stay quiet about their roles for the time being (i.e. Day 1).

kgtrep

Oh and being the first GAF Mafia to lynch a despair on the first day is a very weak argument to do it. The chances are too low.

The chance of lynching Despair if we do nothing is 0.

The chance of lynching Despair if we vote is small (my estimate is 1/6), but definitely bigger than 0.

franconp

1.- What exactly will we know tomorrow that we don't know today? How much more will we really know?
2- The last mafia games that started with a No Punishment, did they all end Day2 with a sure fire Despair punishment?
3- Was the lynched person someone who was completely unsuspected on day1? These are real questions that I don't know the answer to.

1- If Despair plays well not much. We can't relay in PR at this stage of the game as if someone gains some info they shouldn't be exposing themselves yet. We must engage in discussions so we can find discrepancies further in the game.

2- No. The SW game got a Hutt kill the first nigth but it was a lucky guess.

3- I'm only talking about AC game as it was the one I played and the answer is yes. I was mafia in that game and we tried to evict (instead of kill) someone who didn't said much. We wanted to gave the least information posible to town so we could get an easy second day. When the second day started town didn't have any info so it was similar to the first day and they tried to evict blindly.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. I do exactly what francop did as mafia. You keep town in the blind. Kill quiet people early on, and they don't have any more information than they did earlier - yet another reason voting No Punishment is bad. Later on, you switch to noisy people - strips town of drive and leaders.

kgtrep

Everyone, you can see post #449a

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
(Edit)

(2) In other words, I was agreeing with Makai's stance that Hope with power roles should stay quiet about their roles for the time being (i.e. Day 1).
Okay, than I just misunderstood you. I was going by my note which said:

kgtrep:
Disagrees with Makai nothing should be done to save power role, but those with role should stay quiet
Despair do not know who has power, Hope with power have as much chance of dying at night as day
Says should lynch because go down as first GAF mafia to get Despair, if Hope taken by mistake did not have a power role
The chance of lynching Despair if we do nothing is 0.

The chance of lynching Despair if we vote is small (my estimate is 1/6), but definitely bigger than 0.
The chance of lynching Hope if we do nothing is 0.

The chance of of lynching Hope is > 1/6, your estimate. That's still bad reasoning. Maybe it was an off comment, but who cares if this is the first GAF mafia to kill a mafia on the first day? That's a rather minuscule accomplishment for the risk taken.

Maybe I'll will vote to lynch someone, but for the time being I'll hold my current vote.

kgtrep

The chance of of lynching Hope is > 1/6, your estimate. That's still bad reasoning. Maybe it was an off comment, but who cares if this is the first GAF mafia to kill a mafia on the first day? That's a rather minuscule accomplishment for the risk taken.

Maybe I'll will vote to lynch someone, but for the time being I'll hold my current vote.

Yes, from a Hope's perspective, the chance is actually higher than 1/6, since he or she would not count himself/herself. I had simply rounded it down to 1/6 as a worst-case scenario, and so that I could make an analogy to rolling a die, which is something everyone must have all done at one point.

Okay, than I just misunderstood you. I was going by my note which said:

The chance of lynching Hope if we do nothing is 0.

How do these odds change tomorrow? Other than the obvious that one Hope (minimum) will be dead, thus slightly improving the odds that we punish a Despair. But the odds still won't be in our favor. We won't necessarily have a solid target of who to punish tomorrow simply from the loss of one Hope member.

If a Day1 lynch is blind, a Day2 lynch seems like Velma from Scooby Doo without her glasses.

Pau

How do these odds change tomorrow? Other than the obvious that one Hope (minimum) will be dead, thus slightly improving the odds that we punish a Despair. But the odds still won't be in our favor. We won't necessarily have a solid target of who to punish tomorrow simply from the loss of one Hope member.

If a Day1 lynch is blind, a Day2 lynch seems like Velma from Scooby Doo without her glasses.
I agree with this. (Although no one seemed to answer when I asked the same question.) Tomorrow we'll just be reducing our odds by one person and given the number of playets, that's pretty neglible.

kgtrep

It's also possible that a Doctor could save the person from the mafia (believe in Hope!).

CornBurrito, Pau, let's worry about Day 2 when it comes. We do not even know yet who will die on Night 1 and what some of us may learn during this night. For now, finding the right person to lynch is utmost crucial.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yep. I do exactly what francop did as mafia. You keep town in the blind. Kill quiet people early on, and they don't have any more information than they did earlier - yet another reason voting No Punishment is bad. Later on, you switch to noisy people - strips town of drive and leaders.
1- If Despair plays well not much. We can't relay in PR at this stage of the game as if someone gains some info they shouldn't be exposing themselves yet. We must engage in discussions so we can find discrepancies further in the game.

2- No. The SW game got a Hutt kill the first nigth but it was a lucky guess.

3- I'm only talking about AC game as it was the one I played and the answer is yes. I was mafia in that game and we tried to evict (instead of kill) someone who didn't said much. We wanted to gave the least information posible to town so we could get an easy second day. When the second day started town didn't have any info so it was similar to the first day and they tried to evict blindly.

Alright, I've been persuaded. I'm still very new to this game.

Unvote: No Punishment

Does that work or do I just vote for someone to overwrite it?

SalvaPot

That works.

I want to make a note that voting is so close than a tie is highly likely, in that case there will be a no-lynch situation, right? Just letting everyone know to plan your voting accordingly.

It's also possible that a Doctor could save the person from the mafia (believe in Hope!).

CornBurrito, Pau, let's worry about Day 2 when it comes. We do not even know yet who will die on Night 1 and what some of us may learn during this night. For now, finding the right person to lynch is utmost crucial.

Personally I'm not making any assumptions as to what/how many power roles Hope has. So I'm working under the assumption that we have none for my example.

As for worrying about Day2 when it comes, I agree. I believe my vote is still cast on Rest.

Makai

You want me to guess who is Mafia based on my "gut." There is zero utility in killing people over what amounts to personality evaluations. You need at least partial information to form a conjecture. We know nothing about individual players on Day 1. But here's what I do know - Power roles will be king in this game. The special rules clearly point to that:

While it’s advised that students remain in their dorm rooms during the night, there will always be rule-breakers. To those rule-breakers, I would advise caution - where you are going is not as important as how you get there. I'll let you figure out what that means, though many of you will figure it out on the first night. upupupu

Launchpad bolded that, not me. My guess is Despair have to grab a murder weapon from one of the four main rooms before making a kill. Hope has power roles who can watch a room and see who went into it. If I were Despair, I would pressure people into revealing their roles and then prioritize killing power roles. Hope shouldn't jump the gun so soon. We will know a lot more on day 2 and Launchpad explicitly said so. Day 1 No Punishment.

You can do either.

Unvoting will negate your vote and replace it with nothing.

Voting will automatically overwrite a previous vote, meaning you do NOT need to unvote before changing your vote.

You want me to guess who is Mafia based on my "gut." There is zero utility in killing people over what amounts to personality evaluations. You need at least partial information to form a conjecture. We know nothing about individual players on Day 1. But here's what I do know - Power roles will be king in this game. The special rules clearly point to that:

Launchpad bolded that, not me. My guess is Despair have to grab a murder weapon from one of the four main rooms before making a kill. Hope has power roles who can watch a room and see who went into it. If I were Despair, I would pressure people into revealing their roles and then prioritize killing power roles. Hope shouldn't jump the gun so soon. We will know a lot more on day 2 and Launchpad explicitly said so. Day 1 No Punishment.

I'm going to say that I believe a Day1 lynch will bring far more information than simply waiting ever could, even if that Day1 lynch ends in us accidentally punishing a Hope player.

For example, I am suspicious of Rest and several other people based on the whole kingkitty situation. If Rest is eliminated and ends up being Despair, well now my suspicions about those other people are worth something. If Rest is eliminated and ends up being Hope, well I now have to reevaluate everything I thought initially. I may come to some good conclusions.

With the exception of accidentally killing a crucial Power Role, there's still value in a misfire punishment.

If we punish nobody, we're still possibly left in the dark. Our Power Roles (if we do have any that can gather intel) may know some stuff, but they can't just openly state that when they do. And then we'll be spending all of Day2 trying to figure out who to trust. We'll still be in the dark.

Though technically we could all change to No Punishment at the last moment, use the intel we gathered by voting for people in the first place, and then use that information with the only solid piece of information we'll have (the death of a student) on Day2.

I suppose the real value in a Day1 punishment comes from people talking about who they are choosing and why. But you can have all of that and still end the day with No Punishment. If we want to play an ultra-defensive Hope game.

franconp

And what do you intend to do on day 2 if we have no new info? or day 3? Because basically what you are saying is that we should be voting No punishment until a PR (that we don't know nothing yet) gives us a Despair player. And that's insane.

kgtrep

My guess is Despair have to grab a murder weapon from one of the four main rooms before making a kill. Hope has power roles who can watch a room and see who went into it. If I were Despair, I would pressure people into revealing their roles and then prioritize killing power roles. Hope shouldn't jump the gun so soon. We will know a lot more on day 2 and Launchpad explicitly said so. Day 1 No Punishment.

"how you get there" didn't make sense to me, so I decided not to give thought from the beginning. For the record, Monokuma had said that many of us will figure it on Night 1, not Day 2.

I'm going to note that you gave a theory and are (maybe inadvertently) asking for others to verify or deny it, thereby testing if they have power roles.

Makai

And what do you intend to do on day 2 if we have no new info? or day 3? Because basically what you are saying is that we should be voting No punishment until a PR (that we don't know nothing yet) gives us a Despair player. And that's insane.
We'll have information just off of who died. That's something to go off of. Of course, vote on Day 2. And sure, we have even more information if we have two dead people on Day 2, but I think the risk of killing a power role on Day 1 is not worth it.

kgtrep

LaunchpadMcQ, SalvaPot mentioned this earlier and I'd like to know your official answer. What happens if there is a tie, with both options having more than one vote? Does the day end in no punishment?

LaunchpadMcQ, SalvaPot mentioned this earlier and I'd like to know your official answer. What happens if there is a tie, with both options having more than one vote? Does the day end in no punishment?

If there is a tie, there will be no punishment, as much as it saddens me.

Swamped

Banned
Back from work! Seems like a lot of exciting things happened in my absence

I´ve been mostly quiet because I stand by my decision of a no-lynch for now, I honestly has always felt is the best course of action in every mafia game I have played (forum or chat based).

I find it far too stressful to start throwing accusations around, last time I was so into it that I was in a "thrust no one, suspect everyone" stand, and this clearly clouded my vision and led to my eviction when I was ordinary villager, also it didn´t help that most of the people I used to suspect turned out to be innocent.

So I realized taking a more calm stand is better for me to make my judgement.

My Vote is still a No lynch and that won´t change unless there is someone who I find is obviously despair or is needed to hammer a vote, in that case I´ll most likely choose swamped, who I find the most suspicious:

Again, her attitude at first was weird, since a good mafia player acts that way in two situations, most of the time: When they have nothing to lose (Their role is not essential, like an ordinary student), or they are mafia but want to divert attention from someone else, trying to lead the game to their convenience. If so, both plays are fairly standard and I´ll say they are fine ways to play, but the way she retracted this attitude once she was called out on it makes me think that she started fearing her strategy may have backfired so she tone it back, action that I feel is telling and means her, regardless of alignment, is important. And I think this is more telling of a scum player than a town player.

I honestly don´t see other players that have changed their playstyle as much as her, kingkitty is the one that is been thrown around a lot but I honestly feel it was just a silly strategy and I can respect that, for now.

Other than that, I really appreciate how everyone is questioning everyone and getting so much information out there, even if a lot A LOT sounds like paranoid safe fluff, but that is going to be vital later on to find contradictions. For now everyone seems to be playing it safe, except kingkitty who might be crazy.

This post worries me for a couple reasons, and not because you think I am suspicious. I started out the game with that random vote fully aware that people would question me and my alignment. But Mafia is a game of suspicion and proving yourself, so I hoped that through my posts I would be able to show my Hope-ness. Your suspicion is not the issue.

1. Clearly, you didn't read my post 652. I'll re-iterate: I can't post at all when I'm at work, it's impossible. The most I can do i check my phone a couple of times a day. On weekends I'm usually free-er, that's why I started the game gung-ho. I don't know if you accidentally ignored my post (which, if you are, doesn't help Hope at all) or willfully ignored it, which is pretty anti-Hope imo. Even with my lower weekday post count, I want my posts to be useful, so please if you have any particular untrustworthy posts in mind show me so we can talk about it!. Honestly it feels so weird that I have to explain my weekly schedule to you in a game of Mafia. I make two posts with breakfast. I get back from work, read thread and make more posts. Explaining this doesn't feel right.

2. You briefly mentioned suspicions on Makai in a previous post, but you have mentioned me on almost every one of your posts, with the vague reason 'she changed her posting style'. You have no reads on any of the other players, which is VERY strange for Day 1, since almost everyone is suspicious lol. I'm starting to think you've latched on to me for some different, anti-Hope reason...

Your no-vote doesn't bother me much yet because you explained your reasoning even though I don't agree with it. Overall, there is something off about you but I don't know if it is because you are part of Despair. I'm not voting for you because I still feel more confident about my vote for Hagi (even though I probably won't get much traction there).

Anyway, conclusion: if there is something in particular, engage me!

Having caught up with the thread, this is where I stand at the moment:

My probable Hope Alignment list:
  • Crab - Level headed, experienced player. Good posts with enough clarity on why or who are suspicious.
  • CzarTim - Highest post count with some very short posts which can be quite jabbing, even if done in jest.
  • Swamped - Actively challenges various people to yield reads.
  • Kalor - Moderate. Contributes insightful posts.

The following are notes-as-at-the-moment:
  • Pau - Seems well liked. Likely because of out of game presence.
  • CornBurrito - High activity poster. Able to hold confrontations.
  • Rest - Playstyle comes across aggressive.
  • ViviOggi - Responsive and makes contributions.
  • Terrabyte - Active. Posts players analysis when he can.
  • Sawneeks - Active. Has been using her votes effectively to garner responses.
  • francorp - More on the quieter side, but makes solid posts when he posts.

Hard to read:
  • AbsolutBro: Only voted for kingkitty, then unvoted. Apparently more is expected from this player but he is not playing at his previous level?
  • A Human Becoming: Publishes his newness to the game quite frequently. Only vote from him has been a No Punishment vote, followed by Unvote of said No Punishment vote.
  • Barrylocke: Not enough activity
  • Hagi: Barely generating any reads. Seems defensive when swamped voted against him.
  • Zippedpinhead: Middle of the road player, so far.

Question marks:
  • kingkitty: Play has been daring and posts are responsive. Though I put him under Question Mark, he is more Hope than Despair to me.
  • kgtrep: Oddball. Not sure what that card game was all about.
  • TL21xx: substitute player

Then there are Makai and SalvaPot, who refuse to agree with Day 1 lynch. They are both consistent with their stance, despite multiple challenges from various other players.

At this stage, I am leaning towards a vote for either Makai or SalvaPot. I understand that past games have shown that a No Lynch Day 1 have had some success - but I think 2 or 3 prior games cannot quite be regarded as statistical pattern. The logistic of information generation would suggest that it would benefit Hope more if we commit to a Day 1 lynch, if only to obtain better reads on the players for Day 2.

Swamped

Banned

Crab whyyyyyy are you giving Despair ideas

kgtrep

If there is a tie, there will be no punishment, as much as it saddens me.

Everyone in support of voting, we need to narrow down our choices to two people, just for Day 1.

Since there are more people on Monokuma's current tally, the mafia can vote so that the day ends with a tie and no punishment, i.e. guaranteed safety for them.

I need all of you to list two people on your mind (without using the highlight tag). Say 6 hours before Day 1 officially ends, we will tally those votes and the two people with the most votes, we will choose to lynch from using the highlight tag.

To avoid confusion in tallying, please make sure to choose two people just one time (do not decide to change your answer later).

Makai

Everyone in support of voting, we need to narrow down our choices to two people, just for Day 1.

Since there are more people on Monokuma's current tally, the mafia can vote so that the day ends with a tie and no punishment, i.e. guaranteed safety for them.

I need all of you to list two people on your mind (without using the highlight tag). Say 6 hours before Day 1 officially ends, we will tally those votes and the two people with the most votes, we will choose to lynch from using the highlight tag.

To avoid confusion in tallying, please make sure to choose two people just one time (do not decide to change your answer later).
No Despair would dare forcing a tie. That's definitely a tell.

Swamped

Banned
I'm not going to be around for tomorrow's deadline :(. That's always the most fun and frenetic time lol. Really hoping you won't need me to tie-break :/

Still so many posts to catch up with - this is fantastic!

kgtrep

No Despair would dare forcing a tie. That's definitely a tell.

Yes, that is the ideal case I'd want to see. However, given that the number of high votes on Monokuma's list currently is 2 and 4 (e.g. not 7 or more), it's quite easy to render a tie even with a single vote.

By forcing ourselves to choose from two people, I'm hoping that it's more difficult to create a tie.

Top Bottom