• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

Palmer_v1

I've also been looking at VisualAnte2's posts and it seems that he (or she?) is very cautious when posting. Not to mention that visualante has the lowest post count from any other players.

Vote: VisualAnte2

Have you really? I don't think I've seen you mention him at all previously. This just looks like a shitty bandwagon vote to me.

Kevyt

Have you really? I don't think I've seen you mention him at all previously. This just looks like a shitty bandwagon vote to me.

He only has ten posts and I also looked at the goddamn.

Anyone with low post counts is automatically suspicious to me.

Kevyt

If anyone played in the AC game, then they would know that players like Toma, Darryl, Razmos and RNH made it to the end game mostly because they weren't as active as Squiddy or Haly, who got taken out in the mid game.

I'll stick to the theory that Mafia tends to "hide" and play safe while trying to go with the flow. They won't be very active until mid-game to late game. Hence I'm looking at players with the lowest post count.

Not very deep indeed. But then again, not much has been said from anyone in here that makes me go "oh he/she could be KGB" given that it is the first day.

That's my reasoning.

...actually, never mind about my previous vote for QuantumBro; that was just trolling to make a point. So:

Unvote: QuantumBro

Of course, now I still need someone to actually vote for... Seeing as EzekelRAGE currently has no other votes that have managed to stick to him, and as he still hasn't replied to me since yesterday:

Vote: EzekelRAGE

Cool, didn't really want to vote for you.
Unvote: cooljeanius

Basically echoing my thoughts when I read through that post, so I'm going to change my vote back to him.

Vote: Visualante2

x____x

It's not yet 5 am here. Oh man I'm so sleepy zzzzz

Anyway! I'm here! Will reread a bit then I'm ready to help out with votes if required o7

Quick impression: Seath had decided to play for real yaaaaaaaay

Kk. Catchin up mode: On. Brb.

Palmer_v1

I think that makes it:

Tiger - 4 votes
Cool - 3 votes
Visual - 3 votes

Squidyj, what are your thoughts on Tiger and Cool at this point?

Burbeting

Banned
Squidy does have a point, since from the 12 posts VisualAnte has posted, I could see only two posts that are really contributive to the overall game, one of them being the last post which Squidjy thinks is the suspecting one. And other things he too said are pretty good point too. One funny thing is that everyone else who have voted for Tiger so far have done it with bit half-baked reasons, now I can even add Ante to the list too.

That said, I dunno if I want to change my vote from GreatLord Tiger, either, since he has been more suspecting in my eyes even now, especially he seems to have disappeared completely (although I think someone might have mentioned a reason for that, but I can't find it suddenly?). But squidjy is kinda right too, that mafia would try to evade most obvious mistakes, or at least help them with addressing them...

Kinda many people have quickly jumped with Squidjy to vote Ante now, it almost feels like bandwagoning, at least with Seath.

I'll still keep my vote on GreatLord. There is still two hours of the day left, so I do hope that VisualAnte would come here and address these concerns, otherwise he will look pretty suspecting now.

Palmer_v1

I'm also very tempted to vote Tiger so Haly makes it into the mission.

I should really stick to my instincts about eliminating inactive players though. I couldn't do it last game thanks to Raindoc being one of the inactives.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd like to know as well. Visual is definitely a candidate going by those posts, but when you started look at Visual, Mazre already fell behind and Cool was in the lead. Any thoughts on Cool?

I am incredibly wary of all this attention being put on these last-minute candidates. This is especially because, as Palmer has said, the only thing keeping him from voting for Tiger is the lack of pushes towards anyone else.

But in the past couple of hours there have been solid pushes towards two new people, to the point that both of these people are one vote shy of being in a tie with Tiger.

Haly

I'm also very tempted to vote Tiger so Haly makes it into the mission.
Aw, thanks Palmer. I <3 you too but may I ask why? You didn't read me as town before but suddenly you want me near you at night it's...

Well it's moving a bit fast if you know what I mean.

Forgot to note that I'll try to stick around as long as I can in this critical period. It's past three in the morning now, though, so I might pass out.

I've been trying to articulate my thoughts for the past hour (and possibly changing my vote), but this new development has postponed that slightly.

Fell asleep while writing my poster analysis and somehow everything got deleted. 2 hours before deadline I won't be able to go full analysis again in that amount of time. Even if I could there wouldnt be time for any discussion due to deadline. But did make observation that although Goddamn has 10 posts in the thread, I think only 7 of them come after the game started. Ill have my analysis for each voter posted at the start of the new day

I'd like to know as well. Visual is definitely a candidate going by those posts, but when you started look at Visual, Mazre already fell behind and Cool was in the lead. Any thoughts on Cool?
Only reason he voted for me was because other votes didnt stick to me or something apparently?

Also, idk if it is because I skimmed or something Seath seems to be bandwagony? Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else due to avatar or something.

Haly

Seath is using the same Avatar YesNo started the game with.

I dunno what he's up to but it's Seath.

squidyj

I think that makes it:

Tiger - 4 votes
Cool - 3 votes
Visual - 3 votes

Squidyj, what are your thoughts on Tiger and Cool at this point?

My thoughts are that neither one is particularly town but there are a lot of people I also don't like voting on them.
I think in the first part of the day cooljeanius only went after me and he had nothing, just nothing. Then he started moving around and I thought maybe he was just bandwagoning and trying to get some shit going but I think that possibility is less likely now.

As for greatlord he was among the first to push this whole "look at the mission team" thing and I never like it when people make posts like
Ok then I should probably start talking

I didn't like that his response to being called a bandwagoner on mazre was to immediately switch votes to septimus. The read he gave at the time wasn't very strong either.

I can see why both of these guys would get votes but I'm uncomfortable with who might be voting for them although it's possible we were having a race, mafia sees their guy in trouble and piles on the other one to avoid a lynch.

Palmer_v1

Aw, thanks Palmer. I <3 you too but may I ask why? You didn't read me as town before but suddenly you want me near you at night it's...

Well it's moving a bit fast if you know what I mean.

I honestly dont remember discussing you much at all? Its a gamble but your experience is probably more valuable in the mission chat than tigers.

roytheone

Even though visual2 his posts are indeed suspect, I am not a fan of accusing somebody completely new in the last few hours, because that could lead to them not being able to defend themselves. I will keep a closer eye on him during day 2 though (if we both make it of course).

squidyj

Even though visual2 his posts are indeed suspect, I am not a fan of accusing somebody completely new in the last few hours, because that could lead to them not being able to defend themselves. I will keep a closer eye on him during day 2 though (if we both make it of course).

but Ante already said they wouldn't defend themself. It's in the post.
I don't think we should let it hold us back, Ante has had a lot of time to make more of an impression, or a better impression at least. If we carry this into tomorrow I think it's just going to drag out even more with people waiting for ante to respond to something.

Hobohodo

I'm pretty suspicious of him, heck I voted for him initially, but my concern with Tiger (think its been brought up before) is that he has been leading for the bulk of the day phase. I feel Mafia may have been more proactive in fixing that.

Seath is using the same Avatar YesNo started the game with.

I dunno what he's up to but it's Seath.

Seath has a 'gay archer' avatar similar to one YesNo used to have.

Yeah, I pointed that out earlier, and YNNNY changed it as a result.

I've realized that the addition of Visualante doesn't really change what I was thinking about the frontrunners:

I've just gone over cooljeanius's posts again, and he really hasn't said much of his own opinion, nor has he done much at all to defend himself. He also has not voted. And with less than three hours before the deadline, this all combines to be is extremely anti-town. At worst, he's a terrible scum; at best, he's a terrible townie.

Then there's Tiger, whose posts I've also reviewed. If he is mafia, there are two factors at play here: 1.) his absence from the game. He is new, so this prolonged time off could be based on the advice of his more experienced fellow scum-- keep himself out of the limelight near the end of the first day, and leave it up to the other mafia to draw heat away from him. 2.) The fact that no one did draw attention to another target all day is something that works toward his favor-- as Palmer said, that is a reason he's hesitant towards voting Tiger.

But look at this sudden interest in cooljeanius and Visualante, and at the very last (figurative) minutes of the day. Now there is a fairly close race tie between these three, when not a few hours ago, Tiger had double the votes of cooljeanius and quadruple the votes of Visualante. Tiger's votes have remained fairly static, as well, as opposed to the changing of the other two.

Add the fact that Tiger is someone who will go on a mission, and that none of the people who have begun to vote for cooljeanius/Visualante are mission members (this means that I'm casting my own suspicions on Haly, squidy, Seath, and QuantumBro, the last of which has been very difficult to read)...

I'm going to

Vote: GreatLord Tiger

Eh, I accused him yesterday and he already gave a weak response to that.

roytheone

but Ante already said they wouldn't defend themself. It's in the post.
I don't think we should let it hold us back, Ante has had a lot of time to make more of an impression, or a better impression at least. If we carry this into tomorrow I think it's just going to drag out even more with people waiting for ante to respond to something.

Why in the hell wouldn't you try to defend yourself when you are suddenly pushed forward as one of the prime candidates to be lynched? That doesn't make sense.

squidyj

Squidy does have a point, since from the 12 posts VisualAnte has posted, I could see only two posts that are really contributive to the overall game, one of them being the last post which Squidjy thinks is the suspecting one. And other things he too said are pretty good point too. One funny thing is that everyone else who have voted for Tiger so far have done it with bit half-baked reasons, now I can even add Ante to the list too.

That said, I dunno if I want to change my vote from GreatLord Tiger, either, since he has been more suspecting in my eyes even now, especially he seems to have disappeared completely (although I think someone might have mentioned a reason for that, but I can't find it suddenly?). But squidjy is kinda right too, that mafia would try to evade most obvious mistakes, or at least help them with addressing them...

Kinda many people have quickly jumped with Squidjy to vote Ante now, it almost feels like bandwagoning, at least with Seath.

I'll still keep my vote on GreatLord. There is still two hours of the day left, so I do hope that VisualAnte would come here and address these concerns, otherwise he will look pretty suspecting now.

I don't know how to quantify seath but if he wanted to bandwagon why wouldn't he pick an existing and more popular target? I mean especially if he's going to do it so poorly, without a word of explanation.

I highly doubt we're going to see visualante before the end of the day. I think they will hold out hope that if they say nothing they can skate through to the end of today and force a mislynch and put mafia just that little bit more ahead.

Well, Palmer already voted Tiger, as I was putting finishing touches on that post (#1026), but my point about Palmer's stance still stands (and has been reinforced).

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just wanted to check in and let everybody know that I'm here, keeping up with the thread, just don't have much to add to the conversation (although the conversation keeps growing as I try to finalize this post. This took way too long to cobble together lol). Noting what people say, keeping my own notes. I'm hesitant to jump on any kind of last minute band-wagon. I'll change my vote only if it's down to two or three players I feel strongly about. I'll respond to a couple of things:

Arkos - okies, so he's active and that's nice, but oozes a lot of cluelessness and he's super cute when he's relieved that the spotlight is not on him. You ask, examples? Well! YNNNY has them!
1) 794 - This is ... probably the first time since Squidy's sauron eye weakened its grip on Arkos. And he latches on to fellow players' pick on on Seath very eagerly.
2) 813 - Now he's cutely raising his voice towards other people's concern on EzekelRAGE's changed playstyle.... even when he admitted that he didn't read the AC thread
3) 886 - Casually agreeing with Palmer that Septimus is suspicious.

1) Like I said, most of what I have to say is just keeping up with the conversation and noting what other people say that I agree with, which was all I was trying to do in these posts, give some encouragement to people / let them know that I follow their line of thinking. In the Seath situation, I had already questioned that post earlier so I was glad to finally see somebody else question it. Still never got an answer about the strange rabbi that visited Seath. 2) I wanted to make it clear that I hadn't read the AC thread so that people wouldn't mistakenly take my post as first hand knowledge of the situation. 3) See 1

Arkos : Early volunteer and seems to have it out for squid, but his reasons why are weak at best. He even acknowledged the fact that a day 1 choice will have flimsy reasons, so why risk it to accidentally lycnh a potential useful town player? He is suspect to me

I already noted that my vote for squidyj is contingent on the fact that he's not in any danger.

Arkos made some mistakes right at the start of the game in regards to how missions worked but as the confusion didn't persist to long I could see that as genuine.I'm not a fan of this post 424 as he is not trusting of squidy because squidy is asking question. Seeing as that's the whole point of the game this is like not trusting a swimmer because he got in the water. As has been mentioned the big post against squidy didn't have much to it ( the top town/top scum method is apparently complicated?) As squidy is quite a relentless player maybe he is just crumbling user the pressure. Not sure if scum or misguided town. I change what way I swing slightly every time I reread his posts.

1) Looking back I wasn't clear, I guess it was more the tone of his questions that rubbed me wrong. Didn't seem like the most constructive tone. This seems like it may be squidyj's squid-style, but that was my gut reaction to his posts. 2) The volunteer method wasn't complicated in and of itself, but considering the logistics of actually doing it, yeah it seems more complicated than is necessary/ideal. I tend to agree more with Palmer's feelings about volunteering (we can use reason and talking rather than some "system" to decide)(please god don't let Palmer be scum lol)

As for the crumbling under pressure, this post alludes to it too:

Arkos - Novice player who understandably overreacts at pressure, nothing to see here. Newer players to revenge vote/press because they don't know what it means to present town, what it means to present scum, but they know they're town, so anyone who accuses them must be out to get them, a.k.a. scum

I do want to point out that, while this is undoubtedly partly true, I was suspicious of squidyj before he started addressing me, whether I'm right or wrong. I don't feel like I'm just reacting. Of course, having honest suspicions and then having them turned around on me is leading me to be more suspicious, but I do feel like I have a perception of squidyj independent of that that makes me suspicious of him. For what that's worth. Note again that at no point have I been pushing for others to vote on squidy, I didn't even vote for him for a long time, I'm just trying to voice my honest perceptions and contribute something unique to the conversation. Nothing personal squidface

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ALL OF THAT. Other people I've noted:

Seath: fluff posting (and conspiring with squidyj about VD tests and chillis)
Septimus: playing dumb
Ezekel: apparently changed style of play? His explanation sounded somewhat reasonable though
Hobo: quick to clarify when he changed his vote from GLT. Maybe because he doesn't want to be id'd as starting bandwagon?
Mazre: this one is well-covered by others, I also thought the random vote was kind of odd, although apparently he did it last game too (right?). Maybe trying to project the same playstyle from game to game?

The visualante post that squidyj quoted first just reads as unintelligible to me. There's some sentences in there lacking verbs or subjects. Not sure what to make of it, but I do fail to see how putting people on missions is a bad idea. If anything it gives mafia the opportunity to slip up by killing one of them so that we have an immediate 1/3 shot at one of the mafia. And he hasn't posted much. Not sure.

squidyj

If I die tonight, don't trust Haly, I haven't pushed to get him gone because he's been active but he hasn't exactly been reading as town to me.

I've flipped in my opinion of Arkos, I think he's just a weak town, and I trust cabbeh as well (thanks ouro)

Quantumbro, Burbeting and Palmer all lean town for now as well.
slightly town is ynnny

I'm not sure what to make of hobohodo, seath, or mike_hawk, just not enough for me to grasp there.

cooljeanius, greatlord, Zubz, razmos, visualante2 are all leaning scum to me but I think it's impossible that they're all scum together, particularly jeanius and greatlord.

Haly

this means that I'm casting my own suspicions on Haly

This is a fair accusation, but keep in mind that if GreatLord is lynched, I'm pretty sure the rules say I get to go in the mission
-1. In the event one of the players is assassinated (NOTE: Assassinated = Lynched = Evicted = Detained, etc.) during the day phase, they will be replaced by the next player in line for the mission.
Why in the hell wouldn't you try to defend yourself when you are suddenly pushed forward as one of the prime candidates to be lynched? That doesn't make sense.

People latch onto defensiveness. It's not unreasonable. This is the same strategy Mazre is using to stay in the clear. Keep cool, brush it off. He used to be tied with GreatLord, and now it's all but disappeared.

It works both ways, you see?

Accuse someone -> They get defensive -> Clearly trying to keep the heat off of themselves
Accuse someone -> They brush it off -> Scum staying calm and waiting for the storm to pass

Kevyt

x____x

It's not yet 5 am here. Oh man I'm so sleepy zzzzz

Anyway! I'm here! Will reread a bit then I'm ready to help out with votes if required o7

Quick impression: Seath had decided to play for real yaaaaaaaay

Kk. Catchin up mode: On. Brb.

You changed your avatar because of mine? D'aww I'm sorry! I would have changed it because you had yours first.

Palmer_v1

If I die tonight, don't trust Haly, I haven't pushed to get him gone because he's been active but he hasn't exactly been reading as town to me.

I've flipped in my opinion of Arkos, I think he's just a weak town, and I trust cabbeh as well (thanks ouro)

Quantumbro, Burbeting and Palmer all lean town for now as well.
slightly town is ynnny

I'm not sure what to make of hobohodo, seath, or mike_hawk, just not enough for me to grasp there.

cooljeanius, greatlord, Zubz, razmos, visualante2 are all leaning scum to me but I think it's impossible that they're all scum together, particularly jeanius and greatlord.

Can you give me more on Haly? I'm partly voting tiger cause I thought getting Haly into the mission might have value. If I can't trust him, i'm wasting my time.

roytheone

People latch onto defensiveness. It's not unreasonable. This is the same strategy Mazre is using to stay in the clear. Keep cool, brush it off. He used to be tied with GreatLord, and now it's all but disappeared.

It works both ways, you see?

Accuse someone -> They get defensive -> Clearly trying to keep the heat off of themselves
Accuse someone -> They brush it off -> Scum staying calm and waiting for the storm to pass

Someone being defensive when being accused doesn't scream mafia to me, I think Town aligned people want to avoid getting lynched almost as much as mafia does. Accusing someone and then seeing him becoming defensive as a sign that he really is scum just seems to me that you want to confirm your own suspicion at any cost. But in the end this is still my first real mafia game and I didn't really read up on the other ones, so there are still a lot of things I have to find out for myself.

Septimus agrees with this idea of loading up the mission with KGB later on as well and they both have an exchange based on the wrong information even though it has been explained to Enker all ready.
To be clear, I no longer think that. That was a faulty assumption, based on bad information. I do think there is advantage in having at least one KGB on the mission, but that falls in line with what everyone else believes and has been saying. At this point, the only reason to load up the mission with KGB is for them to avoid players with abilities. I am assuming--based on offline Mafia games I've played--that there is at least one player who can investigate other players, one at a time, to see their affiliation (and there may also be one KGB member who will appear as Agency even when investigated), so it might be beneficial to avoid the gaze of this player, but that wouldn't come into play much until later, since--again, as everyone else is saying--if the KGB kill someone on the mission now, it'll give away that one or more of the three returning from the mission is probably KGB.

Now, regarding my vote, I have a few suspicions, but I think it's too early for me to act upon them, so my best bet in staying in play is to increase another player's vote count so they get lynched instead of me. And since GLT voted for me and is a front runner on votes, then, well, it's an easy decision for me to counter-vote for him.

El Topo

Just slightly injured/cut my finger. Won't type much. New vote. Not convinced of anyone, we have no valid information. That said, cool didn't post much and hasn't voted, I can't let that slide.

UNVOTE:roytheone
VOTE:cooljeanius

Palmer_v1

Someone being defensive when being accused doesn't scream mafia to me, I think Town aligned people want to avoid getting lynched almost as much as mafia does. Accusing someone and then seeing him becoming defensive as a sign that he really is scum just seems to me that you want to confirm your own suspicion at any cost. But in the end this is still my first real mafia game and I didn't really read up on the other ones, so there are still a lot of things I have to find out for myself.

People definitely get confirmation bias in mafia. They read into somebody's reactions in whatever way supports their opinion. Mazre sort of reacted the way I do, which is why I never pressed too much. If the accusation is flimsy, I'll barely respond and trust others to make their own decisions.

squidyj

My notes on are not as good as I would have hoped so I will likely have to run through the thread to generate my arguments.

One point I have here is that the system Haly suggested is exploitable by mafia but he didn't seem to realize that, It took burbeting to point out that it was.

He went on to suggest and then insist, emphatically, that unanimous support for a system (re missions) was required for it to work at all, to the point that it felt like he was sabotaging any potential for anything other than First come first serve.

I remember I had a problem with the specifics of Haly's vote against Roy, who I consider to be town.

He also agreed with visulante's post talking about cutting inactive posters slack which I found worrying from someone who I think should know better.

This is the stuff I can remember from my far too vague notes, I'll start going through the thread and maybe pulling quotes.

This is a fair accusation, but keep in mind that if GreatLord is lynched, I'm pretty sure the rules say I get to go in the mission

Yeah, I understood that. I was being really transparent about my train of thought in voting for Tiger, in the sense that if my reason for voting Tiger is because there's a sudden push for other people, then that does mean I have to be wary of those that did the pushing.

(I'm running on fumes. I don't know how much longer I can stay awake.)

Just slightly injured/cut my finger. Won't type much. New vote. Not convinced of anyone, we have no valid information. That said, cool didn't post much and hasn't voted, I can't let that slide.

UNVOTE:roytheone
VOTE:cooljeanius

Cool voted for me and had a vote for QB before that.

Fell asleep while writing my poster analysis and somehow everything got deleted. 2 hours before deadline I won't be able to go full analysis again in that amount of time.
Well isn't that convenient...

Only reason he voted for me was because other votes didnt stick to me or something apparently?
No, because you never really addressed my question about whether you were going to keep your vote on me or not.

I've just gone over cooljeanius's posts again, and he really hasn't said much of his own opinion, nor has he done much at all to defend himself. He also has not voted.
This isn't true; I've voted for EzekelRAGE.

Anyways, I'm heading out to a concert now; looks like I'll miss the lynching... guess this means my vote for EzekelRAGE today is final...

Palmer_v1

Barring a major reason to distrust Haly, I think I'm committed to Tiger at this point. If he flips Mafia, look hard at all cooljeanius and visualante votes, including any unvotes if it becomes clear Tiger is going down. If he's town, do the opposite.

Also, Archer will be incredibly sad that we're killing a tiger.

YrYNQ0M.gif

No, because you never really addressed my question about whether you were going to keep your vote on me or not.

Well it is at least partially true since you stated it here

Seeing as EzekelRAGE currently has no other votes that have managed to stick to him, and as he still hasn't replied to me since yesterday:
You couldve just said the latter part w/o mentioning no one else is voting for me.

Burbeting

Banned
I don't know how to quantify seath but if he wanted to bandwagon why wouldn't he pick an existing and more popular target? I mean especially if he's going to do it so poorly, without a word of explanation.

I highly doubt we're going to see visualante before the end of the day. I think they will hold out hope that if they say nothing they can skate through to the end of today and force a mislynch and put mafia just that little bit more ahead.

With Seath it just felt kind of weird that he arrived pretty quick-ish after you had posted your thoughts about Ante to say "yeah I have also doubted him" with only evidence being his own word, none of his earlier posts do (I think?).

And yeah, it's a real possibility Visual won't be coming here today, since it's only bit more than an hour till the end of day. Same thing with GreatLord Tiger too.

Zubz

Banned

Just double-checking: that's because you think my posts have been fluffy, right?

Barring a major reason to distrust Haly, I think I'm committed to Tiger at this point. If he flips Mafia, look hard at all cooljeanius and visualante votes, including any unvotes if it becomes clear Tiger is going down. If he's town, do the opposite.

Also, Archer will be incredibly sad that we're killing a tiger.

YrYNQ0M.gif

I, uh.... Huh. I guess Palmer's gunning for that "Knows the Source Material" award.

Top Bottom