• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

So anyways, just for fun I threw my resume up on Craigslist in the area I currently live. I just had an hour long chat with a guy who wants to hire me for his headhunting business.

Anyways, I'd love some thoughts from an outside perspective here.

Sounds like a massive scam. Approach with caution.

tim1138

I want to say I really like this new trend I'm seeing with DC and new trades for digital versions and selling them less than print cover price. For example Wonder Woman Earth One. Cover price $22.99. CMX Price? $14.99.

Maybe it's an Amazon influence? The print HC is $15.89 and Kindle is $13.79. But then marvel new trades on CMX are not. So who knows.

But this is great stuff. Not something I expected to see in the digital storefront.

I noticed this a month or so ago, I can dig it.

Bii

This is 100% off topic (and a repost from the Mental Health thread), but I care about what you guys think and I need as much advice as possible, so here goes:

Also, in case you forgot, I was offered (and accepted) an assistant manager position at Banana Republic in New Hampshire. My start date is the 24th and I plan to leave on Friday or Saturday of this week (well, depending on the decision I make obviously).

So anyways, just for fun I threw my resume up on Craigslist in the area I currently live. I just had an hour long chat with a guy who wants to hire me for his headhunting business.
I'm gonna think about it today and tomorrow and get advice from my parents and whatnot, but yeah. That could happen...
Also worth noting that I'd still be moving away and buying a house, except I'd be just a couple hours driving distance from home instead of 45 hours. I'd be living in a gorgeous mountain town which is one of the places I would love to live at, but the main issue is that there aren't really any jobs up there. This is a work from home position though, so I'd be able to live there and work.

The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling like I'm gonna do this. Here are my reasons:
- Now that I actually have an opportunity to move far away from home, I've realized that I don't think I actually want to move away from my family.
- Retail has never been my passion, it's just something that I've done for a while and don't mind at all and so I've rolled with it. This "executive search" (headhunting) business on the other hand seems like something that I could possibly enjoy enough to make a career of. Or at least something that could lead to something else I enjoy more than retail. It seems more intellectually stimulating and like something that would be a little more fulfilling in terms of taking advantage of the potential I have. It really does seem like something new and interesting that I could end up really enjoying.
- It seems pretty lucrative. I'm skeptical about the $70k-$100k that the guy was telling me I could reasonably expect to make (it's mostly commission based pay), but even if I made half that I'd be completely pleased. And I don't really have any logical reason to be skeptical. The guy went into great detail about everything and it all added up.
- Worst case scenario, the job doesn't work out and I have all of my savings and moving back in with my parents to fall back on. Best case scenario, I strike it rich doing something I enjoy. Those aren't too bad of odds.

Am I crazy here, guys? Am I just fishing for any opportunity to not move away and doing it for all the wrong reasons? Or does this actually make sense?
Right now it sounds really great to me, however, I'm really worried that I'd be making the decision just because it's the easy thing to do rather than it being the right thing to do. But then on the other hand, being the hard choice doesn't by default make it the right choice (if that makes sense).
My parents are totally on board with the idea. Mostly due to the fact that they really don't want me to move so far away, but also because they think it could be a good fit for me.

Anyways, I'd love some thoughts from an outside perspective here.

I think that you were already skeptical of the legitimacy of this headhunting position and it does sound too good to be true. I can't give you advice on what you should do but here's what I would do:

I would take the assistant manager position at Banana Republic.

Boogiepop

Guys, does the Hellboy in Mexico trade that just came out overlap with the Hellboy: House of the Living Dead trade I already own? Do I need both for my collection?

Also, is the Superman: Emperor Joker trade worth buying, or is it not?

Okay, I'm just going to assume at this point that nobody has read Emperor Joker despite the reason I'm asking being because I recall it coming up in here. (Seriously though, just one opinion on whether it's good or not would be nice.)

Also, I was looking at the Absolutes that exist and I noticed one for Batman: Haunted Knight, and I'm actually not familiar with that one. How is that/what is that?

Okay, I'm just going to assume at this point that nobody has read Emperor Joker despite the reason I'm asking being because I recall it coming up in here. (Seriously though, just one opinion on whether it's good or not would be nice.)

Also, I was looking at the Absolutes that exist and I noticed one for Batman: Haunted Knight, and I'm actually not familiar with that one. How is that/what is that?
I have it but haven't read it yet. But back in the day on an older board. A huge superman fan loved that arc and spoke highly of it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
It's incredibly difficult for me to know right now if I'm thinking clearly or just acting on my emotions, so I need all the outside opinions I can get.

One issue with the working weekends and evenings is that since you're calling people at their work, you obviously have to call them on weekdays during work hours. However, since I'd be working retail in this hypothetical situation, I'd be working mainly on weekends and during irregular hours anyways, so that wouldn't be an issue. AKA that could certainly work and is definitely something I'll consider. Thank you!

And regarding your skepticism about the legitimacy of the job, I guess you'll just have to take me at my word that I feel 99% sure that this is legit. Trust me, I'm incredibly skeptical when it comes to Craigslist, but I feel like I've got a pretty good radar for this kind of thing. I mean, I did get my first full-time job using the exact same method of throwing my resume on Craigslist and everyone on here was telling me that it was a scam then too.
But yeah, with that said, I feel quite confident that this is legitimate, so that's not really one of the things I'm worried about.

Have you googled the guy and his business? I would be super skeptical of any job that is entirely commissions-based. Especially a work-from-home situation. It seems too good to be true to me, too. It sounds like you've done your homework but make sure you triple check everything before you give up a job with a more stable wage. I would seriously spend hours on google looking for this guy before accepting his offer, and if I caught even a whiff of shadiness I would turn it down.

On the other hand, it really does sound like you should be giving up that job in New Hampshire regardless. It just doesn't sound like you want to move out there at all, and I don't blame you...moving across the country can really suck if you don't have a support system there. So why not try the headhunting thing and see if it works out?

Is there any particular reason you have to move to this mountain town to get started? Is that something you could push down the road...try out this new job and if it works out, then you buy a house? I'd hate to see you get into a new mortgage in a town with no jobs and then discover that your work-from-home job is kind of a scam.

Sorry Boogie, I haven't read it

Boogiepop

I have it but haven't read it yet. But back in the day on an older board. A huge superman fan loved that arc and spoke highly of it.

Sorry Boogie, I haven't read it

Thanks for the response, guys. I realize that's just how forums go sometimes, but it's always a little frustrating when you post something more than once (I had asked last week) and don't get any response. Just kind of feels like yelling into the void. But yeah, I'm interested in the premise and I guess it's fairly cheap, so I guess I could just give it a shot...

Owzers

Hey guys! What did I miss?

Just kidding. If it's not Dark Souls III, I don't care.

i wish i had dark souls 3 now, *waits for mail to deliver it*. I don't feel like watching any of the nba games on tv, just the warriors tmw to see if they get the record, but this season is so done.

I could read comics...

The real Game of the Week is Ratchet and Clank, sorry guys

Thanks for the response, guys. I realize that's just how forums go sometimes, but it's always a little frustrating when you post something more than once (I had asked last week) and don't get any response. Just kind of feels like yelling into the void. But yeah, I'm interested in the premise and I guess it's fairly cheap, so I guess I could just give it a shot...

I hope you don't get discouraged from posting your reviews when nobody responds, while we're on the subject. I love reading them, I just don't always have anything to say. Sometimes I do though! ;)

Have you googled the guy and his business? I would be super skeptical of any job that is entirely commissions-based. Especially a work-from-home situation. It seems too good to be true to me, too. It sounds like you've done your homework but make sure you triple check everything before you give up a job with a more stable wage. I would seriously spend hours on google looking for this guy before accepting his offer, and if I caught even a whiff of shadiness I would turn it down.

This is the main thing. Any decent recruiting firm should have a strong web presence since they are trying to attract corporate clients. If this guy doesn't then its a huge red flag. Two other questions:

1. What does this firm specialize in? A true headhunting shop delivers value because its recruiters have a deep understanding of their industry so they can find quality candidates. A more general staffing firm like Adecco hires people off the street but their reps make waaayy less than $70K per year.

2. Are you being paid for finding candidates or for getting companies to use your company? My understanding is that most recruiters are actually the second. They spend most of their time trying to get employers to use them and finding people is the easy part.

Boogiepop

The real Game of the Week is Ratchet and Clank, sorry guys

I hope you don't get discouraged from posting your reviews when nobody responds, while we're on the subject. I love reading them, I just don't always have anything to say. Sometimes I do though! ;)

Thanks for that, definitely nice to hear! The funny thing is I do it a ton (despite responding to people relatively infrequently I do read pretty much everything posted in here, barring stuff that has spoilers), so even though I understand that there's more people reading than responding, it's still easy to forget sometimes.
------------------------
Oh, and in addition to that question about Haunted Knight, is there a good thing to pick up for Cassandra Cain? Reading Brubaker Batman (which I'm liking quite a bit and will probably have more thoughts on when I'm done), and she had a small cameo and the question came to mind.

I'd personally go with the guaranteed job in NH if I'm honest. This sounds good but I'm a bit skeptical myself. Like everyone is saying, do your research and do you man. Your last craigslist job worked out so maybe this one will too.
Oh, and in addition to that question about Haunted Knight, is there a good thing to pick up for Cassandra Cain? Reading Brubaker Batman (which I'm liking quite a bit and will probably have more thoughts on when I'm done), and she had a small cameo and the question came to mind.
They're actually reprinting the Cass run right now, so Batgirl: A Silent Knight is a perfect place to start. I read about... 40ish issues I think? I really enjoyed it. It's really nice to see Cass kind of grow throughout the series. Plus Stephanie Brown is in it and Steph is the best.

TheFlow

Banned
Go with Craiglist offer and I promise you Kipp we will see you in OT complaining how you got fooled and lose a sure fire job.

Boogiepop

I'd personally go with the guaranteed job in NH if I'm honest. This sounds good but I'm a bit skeptical myself. Like everyone is saying, do your research and do you man. Your last craigslist job worked out so maybe this one will too.

They're actually reprinting the Cass run right now, so Batgirl: A Silent Knight is a perfect place to start. I read about... 40ish issues I think? I really enjoyed it. It's really nice to see Cass kind of grow throughout the series. Plus Stephanie Brown is in it and Steph is the best.

Huh. I guess is there a good Steph run to read then, for that matter? I actually now realize I only read a very little bit of anything with her in it ever.

Edit: Also, thanks.

Huh. I guess is there a good Steph run to read then, for that matter? I actually now realize I only read a very little bit of anything with her in it ever.

Edit: Also, thanks.

Bryan Q Miller's run on Batgirl had her as Batgirl and it was great. I think the trades are out of print-- I have it digitally though.

There's also one issue of Batman Inc. with her that was really good too. But all of Batman Inc. is dope.

Boogiepop

Bryan Q Miller's run on Batgirl had her as Batgirl and it was great. I think the trades are out of print-- I have it digitally though.

There's also one issue of Batman Inc. with her that was really good too. But all of Batman Inc. is dope.

Yeah, I think Batman Inc and maybe a little bit of what I read of Eternal make up all I've ever read of her. And thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

jackdoe

That issue of Batman Inc is hilarious since New 52 happened so he drew her as Spoiler, then editorial said screw it and she went back to being Batgirl.

Owzers

Groot #4 was great, very comicsy humorous comic. I'm finding it to be a better book than the previous Rocket Raccoon one and i don't regret reading it even though it's a comic.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Groot #4 was great, very comicsy humorous comic. I'm finding it to be a better book than the previous Rocket Raccoon one and i don't regret reading it even though it's a comic.

Was the Rocket Raccoon one the Scottie Young one? I find that his writing leaves something to be desired. The Loveness/Kesinger Groot book is fantastic though.

Received Absolute Transmet v2 today. The insert still says volume 2 of 3, so it looks like DC is not extending it to 4. Love the art they are using for the covers and the slip case. Pretty great colour choices for spine designs too.

dExUvHk.jpg

Still need to find an Absolute Authority v1 under cover price.

Owzers

Was the Rocket Raccoon one the Scottie Young one? I find that his writing leaves something to be desired. The Loveness/Kesinger Groot book is fantastic though.

Yes, it was the Young one. I'm willing to read more on MU but dropped it monthly at around issue #8 because of the writing/story, just seemed rather blah and then Young stopped doing the art very early too.

i was baited on clickbait mostly b/c i wanted to see how much i would disagree

'List of most powerful comic book characters ever'

#2 is wrong

#3 is wrong

#4 is wrong

Owzers

I'm leaning towards dropping Patsy Walker, Howard the Duck, and Ultimates in favor of MUing them. Also, MUing is the actual term to use when talking about waiting for a book to hit Marvel Unlimited. It's a thing.

That would leave me with only Black Panther, Gwenpool, Doctor Strange, and Power Man/Iron Fist on my pull list from Marvel which is kind of low but also that's Marvel's fault?

That issue of Batman Inc is hilarious since New 52 happened so he drew her as Spoiler, then editorial said screw it and she went back to being Batgirl.
Yeah it's great lol. I love how they made Burnham to draw the New 52 suit in that one flashback later on on top of that.
I'm leaning towards dropping Patsy Walker, Howard the Duck, and Ultimates in favor of MUing them. Also, MUing is the actual term to use when talking about waiting for a book to hit Marvel Unlimited. It's a thing.

That would leave me with only Black Panther, Gwenpool, Doctor Strange, and Power Man/Iron Fist on my pull list from Marvel which is kind of low but also that's Marvel's fault?

I forget, did you read Mockingbird? It feels sillymonkeyish.

Owzers

Yeah it's great lol. I love how they made Burnham to draw the New 52 suit in that one flashback later on on top of that.

I forget, did you read Mockingbird? It feels sillymonkeyish.

No, i didn't give it a dcbs pre-order try but that's definitely on my list of things i am looking forward to on Mu as opposed to "i'm only reading you because you are on MU but i don't like you and you should know it", also known as Bendis books.

MU is a lot like Gamefly, it only works if you don't buy everything you're interested in. I was tempted to request DCBS add Mockingbird #1 to my order but i didn't go through with it.

Boogiepop

So am I looking at things right that about one more Absolute would finish off Morrison Batman? I'm interested in grabbing the ones that are currently out, but it's totally going to bug me a bit if I need to get the rest of the run in a different format...

Mifune

Mehmber
Does anyone have The Invisibles Omnibus? Under 100 bucks for that entire series in a nice hardcover format strikes me as a good deal. How's the binding on it?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

On the other hand, it really does sound like you should be giving up that job in New Hampshire regardless. It just doesn't sound like you want to move out there at all, and I don't blame you...moving across the country can really suck if you don't have a support system there. So why not try the headhunting thing and see if it works out?

Is there any particular reason you have to move to this mountain town to get started? Is that something you could push down the road...try out this new job and if it works out, then you buy a house? I'd hate to see you get into a new mortgage in a town with no jobs and then discover that your work-from-home job is kind of a scam.

The guy co-owned a headhunting company for a few years but he sold his half of it to the other owner so that he could start his own headhunting company that doesn't operate in an office to reduce overhead (and because the guy likes working from home much more). Because this current business has only been around about a year, it doesn't have much presence online, so I'm going to find out what the previous business was so that I can look into it and make sure it was legitimate.
Also, it's not completely commissions-based. There's a base-pay too.

And I don't know... I feel like I do want to move, I'm just scared of giving up my comfort and stepping outside my bubble of familiarity. Whether or not moving across the country is a wise first step out of my comfort zone (rather than doing a less-crazy move first to kind of warm up to it) is another question though.
But like you said, besides the fact that I'd be turning down this job in NH, there really isn't much risk involved. Worst case scenario, it's a total scam and I've got my savings still and will still be living at my parents' house with no bills to pay. And to be honest, I got this job in NH super easily. I was offered the first two jobs in New England that I applied for. If I regret that decision I could just find another job out there pretty quickly, most likely. So yeah, it's not like I'd be making some crazy risk.

And yeah, I for sure wouldn't buy the house immediately. I'd probably work the job for at least a few months before even starting to look at houses out there. I could work the job just as easily from my parents' house, so that's exactly what I'd do until I decided I felt secure enough in the job. And again, worst case scenario, I'd just rent the house out. In fact, my parents want to buy a home up there solely to rent out, so that wouldn't be a bad thing at all even if I did buy the house and the job didn't work out.

Anyways, thank you for the advice. I really, really appreciate it.

I think that you were already skeptical of the legitimacy of this headhunting position and it does sound too good to be true. I can't give you advice on what you should do but here's what I would do:

I would take the assistant manager position at Banana Republic.

Thanks for the advice, Bii. I appreciate it.

Also, just FYI, my new favorite option would be to move to NH and work the assistant manager position while working part-time doing this headhunting thing. If it doesn't work out, who cares, I've still got the assistant manager gig and nothing has changed. If it does work out and ends up going really well, then I'll move back after 6 months or so and start working full-time. Basically I could have my cake and eat it too. I just emailed the guy to ask him if that was an option, so that could be great.

Thanks, Tyrant. I really appreciate the advice.

Does anyone have The Invisibles Omnibus? Under 100 bucks for that entire series in a nice hardcover format strikes me as a good deal. How's the binding on it?

I have it. It's an excellent omnibus. Super high quality binding and paper and everything.

jackdoe

I own the Absolute Edition of Batman Incorporated where Burnham redrew that scene to feature the correct oldschool blue and grey costume. Which makes no damn sense, but it's great.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Good news! The guy thinks it'd be a good idea to start off part-time while I work for Banana Republic in NH. So I get to have my cake and eat it too. No risk whatsoever.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Good news! The guy thinks it'd be a good idea to start off part-time while I work for Banana Republic in NH. So I get to have my cake and eat it too. No risk whatsoever.

I just bought a blazer and a shirt from there for $80. Gotta love everything being on 40% sale all the time.

I thought that the point was to not have to work all the damn time, lol.

Still, money sounds great, assuming it actually pans out. Commission-only 70k-100k jobs are... rare.

Top Bottom