• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Finishoff

Manage to pick up the last steel case at my local best buy without pre-ordering it. Purchased the ps3, pc and now ps4 version of the game.

Nope. All launch editions / first run editions. I dont think a non steecase edition exists in NA for VC Remastered right now.

Awesome, will go by Gamestop and try to get one. I would buy from Amazon to get the discount but I know they will ship it in a bubble envelope >.>

Baalzebup

So the standard edition for the UK is steelbook case?

No, there are no steelbook releases in EU. The first print edition in EU is the Europa edition, which is a normal plastic case release with some extra swag. The NA first print release is the metal one.

Never played this before, but I've seen all the Gaf hype. Is the Story generally considered to be good? Considering going to grab this now
Yes, the story is good. Not amazing, but it is not completely black and white, there are some twists to it, the characters are heartfelt and the story handles the war theme pretty well in general. There are some decidedly 'anime' moments to the game and the cheery little victory poses your troops do after mowing down enemies can be slightly jarring, but that is more about the dreaded ludonarrative dissonance than going against the story in general.

You can easily get the feels multiple times during the story, and the Behind Her Blue flame side story bit, if you have a tendency for feels.

Cornbread78

Does this mean that the western PS3 version did also include all original DLC?

Thanks

So basically I said I'm curious about VCIII and would like to play it, but no longer on PSP. I don't want anything like VCII again. However the first Valkyria Chronicles was amazing and I'd love another one in that style.

Picky, picky sheesh. I mean NA/EU versions.

I'll reword it for you bullies..

Also, going to probably guess that Sega Japan probably advised them not to pack the initial VAR demo in. Way I hear it, feedback in Japan wasn't exactly positive for that build.

microdot

I'll be playing tonight. This should be a good game to keep me entertained till Blood & Wine which should get me to a time when UC4 is cheaper lol.

Baalzebup

As a general advice which covers the whole game, listen/read when the game is trying to tell/teach you something. You are expected to remember that shit and actually use it on the field.
Is anybody playing this with japanese VA? Or do you guys prefer the english va?
Japanese, definitely. The dub ain't bad, but it isn't quite on par with the originals and I dislike some of the additions and changes they made in the dubs. Making Welkin more of a weirdo wasn't really necessary :p It is always worth noting that the subs are strictly those of the English track, so they can get pretty weird on occasions when using the Japonski track.

Nyoro SF

Other general advice:

Defense orders are active during the enemy's phase as well.
Attack orders are active during the enemy's phase until that buffed unit counter-attacks, then it goes away (likely a glitch, never fixed)
Evade orders are not active during the enemy's turn.

Other general advice:

Defense orders are active during the enemy's phase as well.
Attack orders are active during the enemy's phase until that buffed unit counter-attacks, then it goes away (likely a glitch, never fixed)
Evade orders are not active during the enemy's turn.

Someone I was talking to was adamant about scouts hurting the game. Is he referring to anything legitimate?

Mugenjin

Someone I was talking to was adamant about scouts hurting the game. Is he referring to anything legitimate?

IIRC Rank which determines how much XP and $$$ you get after a battle is pretty much only reliant on the number of turns used so rushing objectives/flags with scouts is kind of "cheesing" the game. But that's down to to how the scoring system works. Just don't worry about it on your first playthrough.

Baalzebup

Yes and no. High level scouts, when buffed with a goods set of orders, can sometimes trivialize large portions of some missions by blitzing through the enemy lines while shrugging off a monstrous wall of fire and just snag the enemy main camp that is likely the objective to complete the mission.

But it is bullshit in the sense that there are many missions where the scouts are not the solution and you are certainly not forced to use such tactics, though the ranking system does favor fast resolution of whatever is going on. I just find it funny that people are essentially complaining about Blitzkrieg being a viable strategy... in a game heavily based on WW2 :p Beside speed, the game also rewards you for taking out enemy leadership, ace soldiers and tanks, but gives nothing for mowing down the rank and file. Which also makes very much sense, if you stop to think about it.

Shahed

Yeah Scouts can rush through things and even make some classes obsolete if you know what you are doing with Orders and stuff. For example instead of dragging a Lancer using several turns to kill some Tanks, you could use Damage/Demolition Boost and have the Scout attack the weak point in order to kill Tanks easily. Shocktroopers can do the same withouit the order if they have a powerful enough gun. That won't work against certain storyline Tanks or enemies though where you'll still need Lancers or a Tank shell.

But yeah the Defence Boost and Awaken Potential (both single and all target) orders are the most useful. Some Scouts have Double Movement as a Potential so they can run the full bar twice in a single turn. That's insane coverage and you can practically take a single Scout corner to corner in two turns if it kicks in.

LOL, my bad, I quoted the wrong post.... dammit.

I meant to quote the one below yours:

Trying to multitask here.. lol
Ahh that makes more sense. I was confused!

Welp, these trophies look few and far between
It wasn't until like Chapter 9/10 that I got my first trophy that i realised I hadn't got one yet. They just use the in game Medal system for them

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is anybody playing this with japanese VA? Or do you guys prefer the english va?

I always played it with Japanese VA cause they are really good, and i got used to the anime VA cast which was carried over from the game.

Considering the setting and time period, it seems to make more sense to play this in English.

Seriously though, its an animefied WW2esque setting with certain tropes and conventions, its not a documentary. A conventional beach episode is even involved at one point. They barely skipped an opportunity to throw in an ill fitting onsen vacation segment.

Fisty

It wasn't until like Chapter 9/10 that I got my first trophy that i realised I hadn't got one yet. They just use the in game Medal system for them

Which is kinda annoying, since they obviously had those medal triggers since PS3 launch and patched the game multiple times for DLC but just couldnt be arsed to add in the trophies.

Baalzebup

Considering the setting and time period, it seems to make more sense to play this in English.

Nnnnnn.. Gallia, as far as a being a country is concerned, is a mix of Switzerland, Netherlands and perhaps Finland, named after a large bit of mostly French Europe of yore. The Empire is a mix of Germany and Soviet Union. There is nothing inherently English in the game setting nor time period, beside perhaps Gallian language being possibly based on their Latin equivalent. Ambassador Townshend is pretty much the only anything in the game that could be argued to be English.

Plus everyone and their dog is likely to speak languages based on that of the Valkyrur people, considering the history of the game world.

Yes and no. Here's a rebalance mod that fixes most of those issues, largely by making Rank less important. It does make the game more difficult (Scout cheesing is less viable).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498442298

Posting a PC/Steam game mod link in the PS4 version thread.....

Boke1879

Went to my Gamestop on my lunch break to pick this up. They had plenty extra aside from preorders. My God it's such a beautiful case.

oWhNIVj.jpg

I've never owned a video game case so beautiful in my entire life.
I love how the PS4 PVC slides away to reveal a full art that wraps around the case, 0 text, pure art, and when you open it there just metal gray and that's it.

Saved for posterity.

f2f2e02f2c.png

The crying at work part, I mean.

Anyway, honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about VC2. There's no way it'd be remastered first. The only way I see that coming is as a pack-in with VC3, ala FFX-2 HD being with FFX HD (The real event people came for)

And, I mean, when VC1 got re-released on PC, all the VC2 threads on Sega's forum got thrown in the Memory Hole. They know people don't like VC2.

Speak for yourself I love VC2 even more than the first game.

Nyoro SF

Yes and no. Sorry for the late response.

Let me give some backstory. After the PC version released, I decided to see if there was any truth to your average person figuring out how to mass rush the game with Scouts by watching new players play on Twitch. For the record, it never occurred to me for a moment on my first playthrough to attempt rushing. So I decided to see if it was just me being a mentally slow lunk or if the problem was overblown. So onto Twitch:

Over the course of probably 100 streamers who went through various motions of learning the game (including many people who skipped tutorials and complained afterwards; don't do this), I have determined the whole "I just rushed through the game from mission 1 so ez didn't even have to think and so did everyone else" to be completely bunk. In order to rush early on, you have to do a shit-ton of save reloading (for cases of ambushing or surprise environment changes) and play in ways that are really unorthodox compared to what the game has shown you so far. The only way to avoid this style of play becoming immensely frustrating would be to look up youtube strategies, which obviously defeats the purpose of playing a strategy game in the first place.

Now, around halfway through the game... the game DOES give you options that make Scouts way too strong and turns them into "the problem". However by this point in the game, there are only 3 "capture" missions left (the rest are either killing enemy leaders or other types) so even if you wanted to cheese, there weren't many missions left to abuse. And even then, despite the game making Scouts too strong at this point, once again the mass majority of streamers never attempted any rushing.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's definitely a flaw, one that sticks out on the edge of being major (one Hard Skirmish can be beaten in roughly 1 min with said problem), but it's not the defining flaw of the game that even the producers thought it was. The mass majority of players, and I really do mean the mass majority, never attempted rushing strategies.... and the rare few that did, couldn't really pull it off in a satisfactory way until there were very few missions left where it was possible.

I'm confused on the gameplay even after watching youtube vids, is it a turn-based game? And are headshots pointless?

Basically think Fire Emblem. You and the enemy have turns. During your turn, you select a unit, and then you assume direct control of that unit. That's where the strategizing begins in the third-person. Headshots are very important, they're considered critical hits and multiply damage to enemies by x3.5.

I'm confused on the gameplay even after watching youtube vids, is it a turn-based game? And are headshots pointless?

Think of it sort of like XCOM except you move and aim with your soldiers individually. Headshots are actually an essential part of gameplay. Moving and aiming are active, and enemies shoot at you while you're moving, but will stop when you enter aim mode.

Baalzebup

Turn-based with realtime elements in that enemies shoot intercept-fire at your troops when you are in the active/movement mode. And headshots are far, far from pointless, but the very simple on/off cover mechanic makes units 100% immune to headshots when they are in cover. Indeed, headshots are a must if you want to get shit done anytime soon, and keep your own dudes alive.

Alucrid

Banned
great, amazon package is arriving tomorrow and the tracking number is one that i've never seen and isn't pulling up any results in google

Dragun619

Received my copy in the mail and damn, this steel case is ballin especially with its sleeve case.

Looking hella forward to replaying this great game again.

Top Bottom