• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT| Canvas Warfare

Graciaus

Ok I am now in Chapter 8 and people talking about a difficulty spike. When does this happen? So far it is going pretty ok. I do not get As for sure sometimes even a D but I still manage to beat these without bigger problems unless something really stupid happens in the mission and I am totally screwed because suddenly I have to defend a post I have abandoned XD

But So far its really fun and I like the 4 main characters Claude, Kai, Raz and Riley. You also understand the Character of RAZ way more after a certain Interlude. And in this context alone the ass grabbing or some people call it sexual assault is really nothing.
The only difficult part around there was chapter 10 I think. Only because I was trying to actually play the map. Got fed up after 20 minutes and generic beat it in one turn.

Maps that have near invincible leaders can be annoying. But even those have work arounds.

Thiagosc777

SJWs truly ruin everything. VC4 has lots of stuff they would like, but they are too dumb to realize it. Rosetta is a trans character (in a Western way and not some anime way), there's an entire side quest involving discrimination and Alladin is a feminist according to his bio.

Well, this game has had this stuff about discrimination since the first one, so it isn't pandering. And it's done in a way that is not intrusive and makes sense with the story.

Neolombax

I’m currently at chapter 9. Along side DQXI, VC4 has become my GOTY.

Would you mind giving some reasons why this is your GOTY? I've been looking for a good game to play, to get away from Forsaken for a while. Currently considering back and forth between Spiderman and Odyssey, but VC4 seems an interesting choice too. I've dabbled in VC1, didn't finish it, but the thing that I remember the most from VC1 was the impactful story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Would you mind giving some reasons why this is your GOTY? I've been looking for a good game to play, to get away from Forsaken for a while. Currently considering back and forth between Spiderman and Odyssey, but VC4 seems an interesting choice too. I've dabbled in VC1, didn't finish it, but the thing that I remember the most from VC1 was the impactful story.
I personally LOOOVE the gameplay of VC series and VC4 improved it even further. I like characters and story and I especially love the fact your squads have individual story which makes me care about my squads more than VC1. The graphics isn’t at all technical marvel but I just love the aesthetics for this game. There is nice demo you can try and so you can judge the game yourself.

Durask

SJWs truly ruin everything. VC4 has lots of stuff they would like, but they are too dumb to realize it. Rosetta is a trans character (in a Western way and not some anime way), there's an entire side quest involving discrimination and Alladin is a feminist according to his bio.

Well, this game has had this stuff about discrimination since the first one, so it isn't pandering. And it's done in a way that is not intrusive and makes sense with the story.

They are a fundamentalist cult and with such cults when things deviate from the sacred scripture even a tiny little bit, it is HERESY.

Durask

For me for some reason playing VC games has always been extremely relaxing, this is why I like them. Not sure why.
Some games, you play and it feels like work almost, this one - complete relaxation.

Neolombax

I personally LOOOVE the gameplay of VC series and VC4 improved it even further. I like characters and story and I especially love the fact your squads have individual story which makes me care about my squads more than VC1. The graphics isn’t at all technical marvel but I just love the aesthetics for this game. There is nice demo you can try and so you can judge the game yourself.
Nice, didn't know there was a demo. Thank you for that. Will definitely give it a try.

Danjin44

Ok Chapter 10 is a real ass chapter. I hate these twins so fucking much.....
They honestly don't do that much damage but forget about trying fighting them head on. The Twins kind of remind me of the psychopath children in Eureka 7.

Dunki

They honestly don't do that much damage but forget about trying fighting them head on. The Twins kind of remind me of the psychopath children in Eureka 7.
They kill my sniper in one hit..... and they walk right into my base as well.... After they went up and killed Kai of course... I had not much trouble until now but these bombs you have to destroy are really annyoing...

Danjin44

They kill my sniper in one hit..... and they walk right into my base as well.... After they went up and killed Kai of course... I had not much trouble until now but these bombs you have to destroy are really annyoing...
What I did was put my snipers both side of the map and have shocktrooper as protection. They mange kill one of my snipers but I called another one. The good thing is both of them would go after one of my snipers which give me time to take out those bombs with my other sniper. Out of curiosity, what level is your snipers? For me it takes at least 2-3 hits from twin to kill my snipers.

Dunki

What I did was put my snipers both side of the map and have shocktrooper as protection. They mange kill one of my snipers but I called another one. The good thing is both of them would go after one of my snipers which give me time to take out those bombs with my other sniper. Out of curiosity, what level is your snipers? For me it takes at least 2-3 hits from twin to kill my snipers.
Snipers are level 11 And I think I upgraded all the armor as well. Mabye I do something wrong here but this one is kind of frustrating so far^^

Danjin44

Snipers are level 11 And I think I upgraded all the armor as well. Mabye I do something wrong here but this one is kind of frustrating so far^^
The right side sniper spot has sand bags so make sure your sniper is crouching which not only make harder for twins to get one hit kill on your sniper but also there is chance for them to doge the attacks. Also make use of your order to increase their defence or Evade.

Durask

I moved my tank towards them, instead of going after my troops they spent the rest of the scenario shooting at the tank, they do some damage but nothing a repair order can't fix.
Last two rounds they cast demolish order on themselves so you may want to use fortify armor order.

Last edited:

Graciaus

If you care about spoilers and are playing on Steam don't look at the trading cards.
Save scuming gave me a decent idea of how their AI worked. They like to separate after awhile and you can block their pathing by putting your tank just right. They usually one shot the snipers not in cover. I would have them shoot then go down to cover to help the damage. Chances are high if you aren't saving each round at least one sniper will die so bring a few.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Phew, the train yard level rekt me. I made some bad choices. Lost like 5 soldiers for good. Barely won. But I ain't save scumming. This is the cost of war.

tumblr_m3wbwdGvuj1qg4blro1_500.gif

Last edited:

Graciaus

I'm on the final battle and it is a pain in the ass to beat how I would have in all the other games. Going to have to change my weapons and strategy and it should be easy. Had to go to sleep and work before I could beat the game.

The story in this is bad.

I´m up to chapter 14 and am enjoying it but there are some tactical issues that persist from VC1. My main issue is that much like the first game, defense boost seems completely absurd. If the victory condition for a mission is to capture an enemy base I´m literally going to win on turn 1 every time if I just use defense boost on Raz and gun it to the objective. "All units defend" is crazy too, pretty much turns everybody into a walking tank.

I also feel like lancers are worthless and have never used one. Why would I try to shoot the enemy tank with a slow-moving, squishy human with low accuracy and no self-defense capabilities when I can just roll up with an invincible death tank that is impervious to 99% of interception fire. It moves faster, does more damage, is more accurate, has versatility, and has powerful interception fire. They even made it so that using the tank only costs 1 point in this game instead of 2.

Does this have a Hard EX mode unlock like the first one did? I´m happy with the game overall but I think I would really dig it on a second go with increased difficulty and a `no vehicles` handicap. Games like VC are great when they make you use your brain but currently I feel like its way too easy to just brute force my way through everything.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
The AI is basically story driven. It forces you to play in a certain way and only if you deviate does it kick in. Chapter 17 suddenly changes everything. All fallen characters die in one turn. I guess I'll waste the reserves in this one to be prepared for the final battle.

Graciaus

Lancer are situational. They are only useful on a small amount of maps. Spawning them in a captured base to go around for a tank is all they are good for. Since the tank only takes 1 cp now they are even less useful overall. You can also make the grenadiers do the same thing but from a distance.

Engineers on the other hand are useless. Only 1 map (if you wanted an a rank) and 1 squad story would you ever need them. I went into the last mission with them at level 1.

Sub_Level

Flamethrowers are quite useful. Also regarding watch towers, one thing I like to do is get a sniper or scout up there, have them take their shot, survey the area, but then climb back down the ladder which doesn't take any CP. They are too exposed up there to just leave during an enemy turn.

I´m up to chapter 14 and am enjoying it but there are some tactical issues that persist from VC1. My main issue is that much like the first game, defense boost seems completely absurd. If the victory condition for a mission is to capture an enemy base I´m literally going to win on turn 1 every time if I just use defense boost on Raz and gun it to the objective. "All units defend" is crazy too, pretty much turns everybody into a walking tank.

I also feel like lancers are worthless and have never used one. Why would I try to shoot the enemy tank with a slow-moving, squishy human with low accuracy and no self-defense capabilities when I can just roll up with an invincible death tank that is impervious to 99% of interception fire. It moves faster, does more damage, is more accurate, has versatility, and has powerful interception fire. They even made it so that using the tank only costs 1 point in this game instead of 2.

Does this have a Hard EX mode unlock like the first one did? I´m happy with the game overall but I think I would really dig it on a second go with increased difficulty and a `no vehicles` handicap. Games like VC are great when they make you use your brain but currently I feel like its way too easy to just brute force my way through everything.

- Agreed on Capture Enemy Base missions being too easy. I think its more fun to take out all enemy units.
- I thought lancers were pretty shit too until I realized its better to go the Accuracy weapon upgrade route rather than Standard. They went from being a shot in the dark to being a 99% 1-hit kill on enemy tanks. Plus unlike tanks you can spawn lancers at friendly bases which, while situational, does come in handy.
- Nope I don't think so. Hard skirmishes DLC is comin out next month but its gonna be like 5 dollars.

PhoenixTank

- I thought lancers were pretty shit too until I realized its better to go the Accuracy weapon upgrade route rather than Standard. They went from being a shot in the dark to being a 99% 1-hit kill on enemy tanks. Plus unlike tanks you can spawn lancers at friendly bases which, while situational, does come in handy.
I was so frustrated with them until that branch opened up. Standard branch is just awful so far - An extra hundred or so armour damage... which means nothing if you're going to miss a third of the time, even at ranges which they should be able to physically throw the entire lance and hit their mark.
Was this something I'd forgotten about early VC1? I just don't remember it being that bad - maybe the lack of a lancer leader (i.e. better stats) in this one?

cireza

Lancers are there to destroy tanks and turrets first and foremost. I don't really get the critics, they are useful for what they are designed for. Exactly like all other units. Unless snipers can destroys tanks, or Troopers navigate the whole map as easily as Scouts ?

Sure you can use a tank to take out enemy tanks, but there are many missions where :
- you don't have a tank
- the tank cannot access the enemy tank as easily as a lancer
- you need more firepower and there are many lancers VS 1 or 2 tanks
- you need to scatter you firepower because tanks or turrets are far apart

Lancers have other advantages :
- you can always one hit kill most enemies with a head-shot, which is almost guaranteed at the right distance, guaranteed from the back, just like every other unit
- lancers can be moved around by Captains, unlike tanks
- lancers are extremely strong against all kinds of cross fire and explosions, even without a Defense order
- lancers can be summoned from camps, which includes instant summon with the correct order

Engineers are also extremely useful :
- they can repair sand bags for free
- they replenish ammo for free, this includes tanks, snipers and lancers
- they are the only unit able to repair the tanks
- they can resurrect a fallen troop immediately with ragnaid, which is absolutely awesome and a huge gain of time
- they move almost as far as Scouts
- they will one shot enemies from behind just like other units

I finished the game and I am currently playing the hard skirmishes, and let me tell you this : all units are useful. Nothing forces you to use them, but I find all of them useful. I have 95% A ranks by the way. So I believe that I am playing it right :)

Something that I did not find very useful, is the ability to use the Captain command when you play as a sniper, grenadier or lancer : they don't move very far and you won't have the guys following you join the attacks. Only useful for scout, trooper and engineer if you ask me.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I also have all a ranks. Since speed > everything most of those pros aren't important with engineers. You shouldn't be staying in one spot so repairing sandbags isn't needed. If your troops didnt have unlimited ammo that would be useful. Even those that have limited regain 1 bullet each round. You also have the resupply order if you really need it.

The good thing about the game is you can make it as easy or hard as you want. You can choose not to use your tank, orders, save mid mission, or reload at all. You will probably lose at least 1/3 of your troops and have a completely different experience. A lot of missions look easy then do a 180.

cireza

You shouldn't be staying in one spot so repairing sandbags isn't needed.
How do you defend a camp where the enemies were crouching and you had to destroy the sandbags ? By sending an engineer, repairing the sandbag, taking the flag, then crouching him. This happens often. If you don't crouch your unit, the camp WILL be taken back by the enemy.

It seems to me that you are playing a certain way, rushing the game. There are many missions where having an A rank is done in 4 or 5 turns, which means that you can play properly, not rushing. Because the game allows you to play this way, does not mean that you are forced to and that some units are useless.

Hard skirmishes, as well as some missions, require getting all the camps to win by the way.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Generally a flag has 4 sandbags and 1/2 enemies inside. It's rare to destroy all of them. Most missions don't last longer then 3 rounds having a base recaptured rarely ever happened. A shock trooper inside does the trick. Of the 50 maps I've played only 8 took 4 rounds and 1 took 5. Almost all of those were at the beginning.

If you like them there is nothing wrong with that. But the way I play they are useless.

psorcerer

Banned
But the way I play they are useless.

You're actually scamming the game instead of playing it.
All units are useful and you can do rank A without any in-mission re-loads.
I have reloaded 5 times or so in the whole game (starting the mission from scratch each time).
Engineers are extremely useful for direct-command-ing of the low ammo units: lancers, snipers, grenadiers.

Sub_Level

I haven't used direct command or ship orders once heh

The game really gives you a ton of options. Just yesterday i barely remembered my units could equip items and my tank could equip a decal.

cireza

my units could equip items
Some of them really give a significant boost. For example, equipping troopers with Defense +2 or +3 helps a lot.
Scouts can see at 270° (unlike other units that only see at 90°) so you should put Evade bonuses on them.
You also have boosts to accuracy and shoot distance, useful for snipers.

Sub_Level

Valkyria in this game: lol i thro rocks at u

Valkyria in the first game: rev up that anus cuz im steamrolling every1 holy shit

petran79

Banned
I haven't used direct command or ship orders once heh

The game really gives you a ton of options. Just yesterday i barely remembered my units could equip items and my tank could equip a decal.

In the last chapter direct command is necessary to save up time, as you only get a few turns initially.
Reached the final battle finally but will continue tomorrow. Every battle towards the end takes 1-1.5 hour at least.

I finished the game and I am currently playing the hard skirmishes, and let me tell you this : all units are useful. Nothing forces you to use them, but I find all of them useful. I have 95% A ranks by the way. So I believe that I am playing it right :)

Glad to hear that there are still challenges ahead. Actually I was thinking about base capture missions earlier and I think my problem ultimately just boils down to the fact that your rank is exclusively determined by the number of turns taken (I think?). Feels like the easy fix to make the game more challenging would be to change the ranking so it also factors in variables like damage taken, enemies killed, etc. Hope they go that route in the future if they make more of these games (fingers crossed).

I played a mission earlier where I totally screwed the pooch and had to evac two soldiers, but still ended up getting the maximum rating. Might be a bit of a harsh punishment but I think if even one of your units gets downed it should automatically lock you out of getting an A rank. No mistakes allowed on the battlefield.

Graciaus

The post game skirmish maps are what the regular game should have been like. Very impressed with the level of difficulty. Also laughed at the 1 mil I had saved up being blown in 1 minute.

I was just going to quit after the campaign but these are fun.

Sub_Level

The post game skirmish maps are what the regular game should have been like. Very impressed with the level of difficulty. Also laughed at the 1 mil I had saved up being blown in 1 minute.

I was just going to quit after the campaign but these are fun.

Good to hear. Plus you may as well keep your save file in case you decide to get any of the random dlc next month.

petran79

Banned
Something strange happened in the final battle. 2 radiators were remaining. I destroyed 1 with a lancer on top. FMV scene with Belgar plays, enemy troops respawn and I am ready to blast the last radiator and finish the game. But after the cutscene, radiator disappeared! Even on the map, the tank is missing the blue spot.
Had to forcefully end the phase, tank had to redive and reemerge and to my relief final radiator appeared normally and I destroyed it. I was at turn 14. If it was 20, I'd have lost out of nowhere.

Is this a glitch? Still have the save game prior to this event.

cireza

Something strange happened in the final battle. 2 radiators were remaining. I destroyed 1 with a lancer on top. FMV scene with Belgar plays, enemy troops respawn and I am ready to blast the last radiator and finish the game. But after the cutscene, radiator disappeared! Even on the map, the tank is missing the blue spot.
Had to forcefully end the phase, tank had to redive and reemerge and to my relief final radiator appeared normally and I destroyed it. I was at turn 14. If it was 20, I'd have lost out of nowhere.

This is how it is designed. You can only blast one radiator per turn. All others are automatically hidden after you blast one.

Last edited:

Graciaus

You can destroy all 4 at once with the right setup. Other then that you have to do it the long way unfortunately.

cireza

Ok, there is a map with trains that was already quite a pain in the ass during the campaign.

And of course, there is a hard skirmish on this map... and its hell. Totally brutal. I couldn't even do half of the objectives in 6 turns. This one is going to require some thinking and preparations...

petran79

Banned
This is how it is designed. You can only blast one radiator per turn. All others are automatically hidden after you blast one.
You can destroy all 4 at once with the right setup. Other then that you have to do it the long way unfortunately.

I see. I had already shut the other exits for the tank so it appeared at the same spot. Was not much of an issue.

After unlocking the extra stories, I have to say VC4 while better in gameplay, it lacks in story and drama when compared to the original. It is sad that while in VC1 the only chance the crew met with the enemies was by giving a burial to an Empire soldier, here they meet by taking a hot bath and adding fanservice instead. I struggled to find any character that could match the ones of VC1. Maybe Walz , whom I liked more than Jaeger. Miles was so bad compared to Isara. Same for the rest.

Even so, after VC it is difficult to play any turn based strategy games due to the empty characterization. I am into XCOM2 now and characters look so empty, even though they lack fanservice and meet diversity standards.

Danjin44

I see. I had already shut the other exits for the tank so it appeared at the same spot. Was not much of an issue.

After unlocking the extra stories, I have to say VC4 while better in gameplay, it lacks in story and drama when compared to the original. It is sad that while in VC1 the only chance the crew met with the enemies was by giving a burial to an Empire soldier, here they meet by taking a hot bath and adding fanservice instead. I struggled to find any character that could match the ones of VC1. Maybe Walz , whom I liked more than Jaeger. Miles was so bad compared to Isara. Same for the rest.

Even so, after VC it is difficult to play any turn based strategy games due to the empty characterization. I am into XCOM2 now and characters look so empty, even though they lack fanservice and meet diversity standards.
I'm currently in Ch.13 and I personally loving the characters and story even more than first game but to each their own I guess.

petran79

Banned
I'm currently in Ch.13 and I personally loving the characters and story even more than first game but to each their own I guess.

Probably has to do with the fact that the original cast behind VC1 and Sakura Wars 1-5, producer Shuntaro Tanaka and director Ryotaro Nonaka, did not take part in the production. Instead chief director became Kei Mikami, who was a game designer in VC1 and producer became Kohei Yamashita who produced also Valkyria Revolution. No wonder something felt different compared to the original.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Probably has to do with the fact that the original cast behind VC1 and Sakura Wars 1-5, producer Shuntaro Tanaka and director Ryotaro Nonaka, did not take part in the production. Instead chief director became Kei Mikami, who was a game designer in VC1 and producer became Kohei Yamashita who produced also Valkyria Revolution. No wonder something felt different compared to the original.
Even so, I' actually really liking the VC4 casts but thats just me.

Graciaus

I really don't like Riley. Claude I find boring. Raz and Kai get on my nerves. A lot of the side characters in their sub episodes are great though. It's to bad they don't get much screen time.

I finally finished cleaning after renovation and started playing and holy hell Raz is just huge douchebag. He makes me pissed off whenever he opens his mouth and most of his behaviours are at least bordering on insubordination.

Also Minerva attitude is really getting on my nerves.

Still gameplay is there and rest of squad looks promising.

Top Bottom