• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT| Canvas Warfare

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess I'm one of the few people who liked VC4 casts. At first Raz was getting in my nerves but eventually I warm up to him not now really like his character.

Little bit behind the rest of the thread I think but I made it to chapter 6 last night after playing a bit of Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Super Mario Party over the weekend. Its getting to be that time again where there are lots of good games and unfortunately not all the time to play them, I'll get there tho.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Little bit behind the rest of the thread I think but I made it to chapter 6 last night after playing a bit of Assassin's Creed Odyssey & Super Mario Party over the weekend. Its getting to be that time again where there are lots of good games and unfortunately not all the time to play them, I'll get there tho.
Tell me about it! I'm playing VC4, DQXI and Fist of the North Star and all them are long games. These three games should keep me busy till January when KHIII and RE2Remake comes out.

cireza

You can destroy all 4 at once with the right setup. Other then that you have to do it the long way unfortunately.
Very surprised, I did not seem to me that you could do this, and the battle will give you an A rank even if you take 4 or 5 turns if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed the cast and story of VC4, but the first game left a stronger impression. Particularly the main enemies, in VC1 they were really great, in VC4 I did not like them at all.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Very surprised, I did not seem to me that you could do this, and the battle will give you an A rank even if you take 4 or 5 turns if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed the cast and story of VC4, but the first game left a stronger impression. Particularly the main enemies, in VC1 they were really great, in VC4 I did not like them at all.
You definitely aren't supposed to do it this way.
put Riley at marker and take the west camp. Clear out the soldiers near it and call for a grenadine equipped with armor killing. Next turn area blast up and weak point orders. If you aim correct which isn't easy you can take all 4 out in 2 shots. I had trouble and did it in 4.

petran79

Banned
Spoilers ahead:

First game explored also the Darcsen discrimination and lore,as well as the continents history and the Valkyries. VC4 assumed players were familiar with all of this, but on the other hand did not go into any further details,expanding upon the universe and adding more. I assumed at least I'd see the Emperor and the repercussions of the death of Maximilian. VC1 explored Gallia's governing officials at least. While the Federation staff are informed about the early events in Gallia, later they do not mention it at all,not even the death of the Prince.

VC4 is better in gameplay, but I'd sacrifice few stages for a bit more backstory.

sublimit

Banned
Sega posted this on their fb page:
43877925_10156705610591796_1948556907631345664_n.jpg

I like Raz since he reminds me of my army days being around a bunch of morons shooting the breeze and talking about asses. The people getting offended over that grab-ass scene must not be big fans of soldiers considering its a relatively accurate representation of military humor.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't recommend the beach DLC. If you have played one game or watched one anime with a beach episode, you really have seen them all.

Save yourself the $5 and get a sandwich instead.

zenspider

SJWs truly ruin everything. VC4 has lots of stuff they would like, but they are too dumb to realize it. Rosetta is a trans character (in a Western way and not some anime way), there's an entire side quest involving discrimination and Alladin is a feminist according to his bio.

Well, this game has had this stuff about discrimination since the first one, so it isn't pandering. And it's done in a way that is not intrusive and makes sense with the story.

Does Rosetta trigger the male or female potentials i.e. 'Husband At Home'?

EIther way, I think it's a 1,000 word Polygon/Eurogamer/kotaku article that ain't gonna click itself $_$

Sub_Level

The valkyria in this game isn't really intimidating. But the game let me beat her with a flamethrower so it gets points for that.

Komatsu

Do we have updated sales figures for VC4? This is the one franchise coming out of one SEGA's internal studios besides Yakuza that has been consistently interesting. I'm playing on Switch but might get it for PC as well.

Kazza

With the talk of sales, how much does this game actually have to sell in order to be considered a success by Sega? While the sales figures on Steam haven't been nearly as impressive as for the first one, it needs to be kept in mind that this has been released as a full priced (£49.99 in my region) game, rather than as a budget one like last time. Taking that into account, the PC sales seem to be ok, plus it will have long legs on steam, especially once the price drops to around £20 after a couple of years. Apparently, the (much cheaper) original version on the Switch has been outselling this latest instalment despite being released at the same time, so price definitely seems to be a factor here.

This does seem to be a relatively low budget AA game which is using an enhanced version of the original game engine, so hopefully this will be like the situation with Yakuza, where they save money by asset recycling etc. Yakuza has only needed sales in the hundreds of thousands in order to be a viable franchise, so the same should be the case here.

Kinda stupid that they are releasing DLC so slowly - it's ready anyway as game came out months ago in Japan so why wait till people move on ?

Graciaus

The theory is to drip feed it to people so they can buy them all. If you release them all at once people might only get one.

I would think what actually happens is the majority play however long they want then never touch the game again.

Durask

With the talk of sales, how much does this game actually have to sell in order to be considered a success by Sega? While the sales figures on Steam haven't been nearly as impressive as for the first one, it needs to be kept in mind that this has been released as a full priced (£49.99 in my region) game, rather than as a budget one like last time. Taking that into account, the PC sales seem to be ok, plus it will have long legs on steam, especially once the price drops to around £20 after a couple of years. Apparently, the (much cheaper) original version on the Switch has been outselling this latest instalment despite being released at the same time, so price definitely seems to be a factor here.

How do you know Steam sales? I thought once Valve plugged the exploit that SteamSpy was using, you can only get true sales figures from Valve directly.

Kazza

How do you know Steam sales? I thought once Valve plugged the exploit that SteamSpy was using, you can only get true sales figures from Valve directly.

I don't unfortunately. I'm just using the figures from steamspy which are, as you implied, not so accurate anymore. Still, I think you can still use the "Peak concurrent players yesterday" (1,098), the number of reviews (534) and estimated sales figures (20k - 50k) as a kind of heuristic to estimate how well it's doing.

Komatsu

Did some research, apparently the Switch answers for a good chunk of the overall sales figures (39%), at least in the UK. Couldn't find numbers for America, though the game was sold out in all of the places I checked in the DC area.

In Japan, it is unfortunately the worst-performing VC game.

Valkyria Chronicles - 77,000
Valkyria Chronicles 2 - 94,000
Valkyria Chronicles 3 - 102,779
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 63,000 (PS4 figures)

Let's hope for the sales to pick up as this series is indeed a jewel. Best thing to come out of SEGA CS3 in ages.

Hudo

Did some research, apparently the Switch answers for a good chunk of the overall sales figures (39%), at least in the UK. Couldn't find numbers for America, though the game was sold out in all of the places I checked in the DC area.

Let's hope for the sales to pick up as this series is indeed a jewel. Best thing to come out of SEGA CS3 in ages.

I've played VC4 on my Switch, too. And it's awesome. I've played the first VC on PC and the port is actually quite good. I hope VC4 sold well enough (globally) to warrant further investment in the franchise.

Sub_Level

New steam patch today.

• Option to set cutscenes to letter boxed for players using ultra wide resolutions
• Fix for hard lock seen in later chapters
• Tweaks for fixes to the controller drift issues
• UI and localisation tidy up

Well at least when VC1 was cutting edge game for ps3 era, VC4 is more of AA release today so budget should have been much more manageable.

Madflavor

So I finished playing the game.....at Chapter 15.

Ugh, I've been wishing for a proper VC console sequel for 10 years, because I loved VC1 so much, it's one of my favorite Jrpgs. But storywise, this entry just doesn't measure up imo. I liked the improvements to the gameplay a lot, but I didn't find the cast interesting at all, and the story was so boring. I was excited when I initially heard we were playing as The Federation, because during VC1, I was always interested to know what was going on in the larger theaters of the war. With this, I expected massive battles, and taking on the top brass of the Empire's officers. Possible even get to finally see who's running the whole show. I mean if there's a Prince, there's gotta be an Emperor right?

And at first, that seemed to be what VC4 was going for. My favorite battles came from the first few hours of the game, especially the Siege of Siegval, when you're in a large battlefield and machinegun fire is constantly raining on you. But once Winter hits in the game is where the quality of the storytelling goes downhill imo.

Kreydo

Hey, sorry if it has been already answered... But can we start this game without done the 3 first game?
Note that I hate when a game throw you things at face without explaining plot, just because you are supposed to know it from previous title.

Hey, sorry if it has been already answered... But can we start this game without done the 3 first game?
Note that I hate when a game throw you things at face without explaining plot, just because you are supposed to know it from previous title.
Yea you'll be ok without playing the other games.

Sub_Level

Ugh, I've been wishing for a proper VC console sequel for 10 years, because I loved VC1 so much, it's one of my favorite Jrpgs. But storywise, this entry just doesn't measure up imo. I liked the improvements to the gameplay a lot, but I didn't find the cast interesting at all, and the story was so boring. I was excited when I initially heard we were playing as The Federation, because during VC1, I was always interested to know what was going on in the larger theaters of the war. With this, I expected massive battles, and taking on the top brass of the Empire's officers. Possible even get to finally see who's running the whole show. I mean if there's a Prince, there's gotta be an Emperor right?

And at first, that seemed to be what VC4 was going for. My favorite battles came from the first few hours of the game, especially the Siege of Siegval, when you're in a large battlefield and machinegun fire is constantly raining on you. But once Winter hits in the game is where the quality of the storytelling goes downhill imo.

Finish playing the game you deserter! You just have a few chapters left and they are some of the biggest levels in the franchise.

cireza

VC1 wasn't anything special in terms of story either. If you want a good story, VC is probably not the place to go. It is nothing special, it simply serves as a excuse to go to war.

In terms of gameplay however, VC4 is a pretty significant upgrade and the last battles are very challenging and entertaining.

Madflavor

VC1 wasn't anything special in terms of story either. If you want a good story, VC is probably not the place to go. It is nothing special, it simply serves as a excuse to go to war.

In terms of gameplay however, VC4 is a pretty significant upgrade and the last battles are very challenging and entertaining.

Sorry man I disagree. VC1's story struck a cord with me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I especially liking VC4 casts a lot.
Same here. The cast in VC4 elevates the story. The plot has always been 80s-anime-tier handwaving and forced plot-progression since VC1 but it was VC1's cast that caught me. VC4's main cast is better, in my opinion, and since VC4's overall cast grows during the side-stories I'd argue that the secondary characters are better too.

However, it's possible that I'm just not remembering all the side-story content from VC1 and VC2.

VC1 story was pretty good and great cast made it really enjoyable for me.

It's completely different front than the one in previous games.

But VC1 was remastered and can be played on PS4, Switch, PS3 or PC and it usually dirt cheap so I'd suggest playing it first :)

Malakhov

Banned
I tried this game yesterday and put in 8 hours so far, it's the first title in the series that I play, I absolutely love the battle system. I just finished chapter 4 where the difficulty was cranked up and the fight lasted an hour, am I horrible at this or the fights are that long from now on?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I tried this game yesterday and put in 8 hours so far, it's the first title in the series that I play, I absolutely love the fighting system. I just finished the chapter 4 where the difficulty was cranked up and the fight lasted an hour, am I horrible at this or the fights are that long from now on?
A new convert!

No, it's not you. The fights do sometimes drag on. Improving your own strategy and leveling up stuff can help the battle go faster, but some battles are just long.

Malakhov

Banned
A new convert!

No, it's not you. The fights do sometimes drag on. Improving your own strategy and leveling up stuff can help the battle go faster, but some battles are just long.
Ah ok, I thought it was me. I was having B grades but I got a D for the chapter 4 fight. I wasnt expecting that difficulty jump all of a sudden.

At one point in the fight, Riley missed a gatling gun tower 3 times in a row even if I was dead spot on, is it just bad luck or I might be doing something wrong?

And will we get access to medics at one point in the game?

And yeah I'm a convert, this is the first game in years that Ive played that much and cant wait to play more of it, as soon as I finish this one I'm getting the remasterd on ps4.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ah ok, I thought it was me. I was having B grades but I got a D for the chapter 4 fight. I wasnt expecting that difficulty jump all of a sudden.

At one point in the fight, Riley missed a gatling gun tower 3 times in a row even if I was dead spot on, is it just bad luck or I might be doing something wrong?

And will we get access to medics at one point in the game?

And yeah I'm a convert, this is the first game in years that Ive played that much and cant wait to play more of it, as soon as I finish this one I'm getting the remasterd on ps4.
Several of your unit types can use Ragnaid. I'm not far enough into the game to comment on whether or not you get a dedicated medic. I imagine a Scout + medic abilities would be useful.

I think the Red Circle is the possible area where a shot lands. You can be lined up and the "preview" at the top might say "1 Hit Kill" but it still misses. You want your target to be in the Red, so sometimes it pays to aim for a chest shot and hope for a headshot.

Malakhov

Banned
Good thing about repeating missions for better rank is you get cash and experience for it so it saves from grinding :)

Yeah I'll replay them eventually for the EXP!

Several of your unit types can use Ragnaid. I'm not far enough into the game to comment on whether or not you get a dedicated medic. I imagine a Scout + medic abilities would be useful.

I think the Red Circle is the possible area where a shot lands. You can be lined up and the "preview" at the top might say "1 Hit Kill" but it still misses. You want your target to be in the Red, so sometimes it pays to aim for a chest shot and hope for a headshot.
Yeah but that was ridiculous, the whole tower was circled and it missed 3 times in a row. Yeah I know about the ragnaids but I thought I had read that there was a medic class.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I'll replay them eventually for the EXP!

Yeah but that was ridiculous, the whole tower was circled and it missed 3 times in a row. Yeah I know about the ragnaids but I thought I had read that there was a medic class.
Maybe you can specialize the

Engineer class?

I honestly don't know. Others will have to chime in, but as far as I know you don't get it as a "class", you just have the option to specialize certain classes to be better at healing, if you wish.

Malakhov

Banned
Maybe you can specialize the

Engineer class?

I honestly don't know. Others will have to chime in, but as far as I know you don't get it as a "class", you just have the option to specialize certain classes to be better at healing, if you wish.
Yeah I just looked on sega's website and it's not in the available classes. Must have misread something.

Sub_Level

I tried this game yesterday and put in 8 hours so far, it's the first title in the series that I play, I absolutely love the battle system. I just finished chapter 4 where the difficulty was cranked up and the fight lasted an hour, am I horrible at this or the fights are that long from now on?

The final boss is a good hour and a half.

Per attempt.

Sub_Level

Damn thats insane lol

Another question, grenadiers cant destroy those gatling gun stations with hard concrete tops right? Just the ones with the camo tarp over it?

They can but it takes forever. Don't expect many of the weak bunkers, that was mostly mission specific to chapter 4.

For concrete bunkers your 3 options are
- look for a Ranga crate nearby to destroy with sniper, scout, or grenadier. Sometimes they are hidden at angles you don't look. Takes 1 turn.
- destroy with your tank. Takes 2-3 turns.
- destroy with lancers. Takes 3-4 turns (but worth doing as a last resort if one is giving you trouble)

Malakhov

Banned
They can but it takes forever. Don't expect many of the weak bunkers, that was mostly mission specific to chapter 4.

For concrete bunkers your 3 options are
- look for a Ranga crate nearby to destroy with sniper, scout, or grenadier. Sometimes they are hidden at angles you don't look. Takes 1 turn.
- destroy with your tank. Takes 2-3 turns.
- destroy with lancers. Takes 3-4 turns (but worth doing as a last resort if one is giving you trouble)

Yeah I noticed with the ranga crates but sometimes they're pretty well hidden behind :(

I just finished chapter 4 today, I can manage b grades in the skirmishes but during the story battles I get horrible D grades, I really suck at this. I dont like the fact that grades are given in how many turns you finish the fight. I often finish them without losing anyone and yet I get a D.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah I noticed with the ranga crates but sometimes they're pretty well hidden behind :(

I just finished chapter 4 today, I can manage b grades in the skirmishes but during the story battles I get horrible D grades, I really suck at this. I dont like the fact that grades are given in how many turns you finish the fight. I often finish them without losing anyone and yet I get a D.
Strategically overextending yourself allows you to beat the missions much faster. But it's tougher.

Sub_Level

The grades are meaningless so you are right to dislike them. A rank is just finishing the mission asap. Any dimwit can do that with scouts + orders lol

If you win and don't lose anyone, you are doing good and playing smart :)

When you actually start losing people is when you know shit is getting real. You have to adapt to situations cuz sometimes events happen mid-mission such as mini bosses appearing or the environment changes. You are supposed to be nervous like the characters.

Top Bottom