• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT| Canvas Warfare

sublimit

Banned
NzJWeSH.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Release Date:September 25 2018
Platforms:PS4,XB1,Switch,PC
Developer:Sega CS3
Publisher:Sega
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Review Thread

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Versions
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/19/complete-guide-to-the-valkyria-chronicles-4-preorder-bonuses
EWeT6Cu.jpg

TQWCC82.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trailers

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

jRfujO0.jpg

The setting is the fictional continent of Europa. Specifically, the entire western region of the largest continent in the northern hemisphere.
Since ancient times, many battles for supremacy have been fought in pursuit of
the country’s unification.

In the 1800s, the continent of Europa was divided into two major powers in the east and west: the allied nation called the “Autocratic Eastern Imperial
Alliance,” which governs the country with an emperor at its center, and the federation of republic states known as the “Atlantic Federation,” which abolished Imperial rule.
Eventually, both powers fought over the mineral resource known as “Ragnite.”

In 1935, world affairs steadily worsened, and the Imperial army violated the non-aggression treaty and began advancing onto the Federation. And the
greatest war in history, the “Second Europan War,” which engulfed the entire continent of Europa, suddenly commenced.

Claude Wallace, who participated in the war as captain of the Federation army’s Squad E, fought an early battle in the war and struggled to attain
victory.

However, three months after the war began, the Federation army, which was repeatedly defeated by the Imperial army’s overwhelming resources
ended up in a difficult situation.

After finishing a battle, Claude returned to base and was informed by his superior of a large-scale strategy having begun. It was “Operation Northern
Cross,” a major counterattack to raid the empire’s capital city in order to overturn the Federation’s numerical inferiority.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sc6uvt3.jpg

Claude Wallace
Side: Edinburgh Army
Unit: Ranger Corps, Squad E
Role: Tank Commander
Class: Scout

Riley Miller
Unit: Federate Joint Ops
Role: Artillery Advisor
Class: Grenadier

Minerva Victor
Unit: Ranger Corps, Squad F
Role: Senior Commander
Class: Scout

Raz
Role: Fireteam Leader
Class: Shocktrooper

Miles Arbeck
Role: Tank Operator
Class: Driver

Kai Schulen
Role: Fireteam Leader
Class: Sniper

Ragnarok
Unit: Squad E
Role: Mascot
Class: Medic

__________________________________________________________________________________

ZFmx2IJ.jpg

The “BLiTZ” battle system, which blends strategy and action, has carried out various evolutions including the series’ largest maps, a higher number of
units, new classes, and more. Actively move the characters on the field with a heightened sense of reality from the addition of counterattacks when
under fire, and repel the enemy force while running about in real-time.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

New Features Trailer

______________________________________________________________________________________

Small-(GIF-1)-People-running-dramatically.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nice job on OT!! I can’t wait to pick up my Premium Edition. I need that Tank.:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

sublimit

Banned
Nice job on OT!! I can’t wait to pick up my Premium Edition. I need that Tank.:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I'll be getting it too (in a few days from now). I'm currently contemplating whether or not i should play it alongside DQXI or if i should wait until i finish the later...

Danjin44

I'll be getting it too (in a few days from now). I'm currently contemplating whether or not i should play it alongside DQXI or if i should wait until i finish the later...
Thanks to the way chapters structured in VC4 you kind of can play it bite size. I haven’t finished DQXI yet but I think I can manage to play VC4 alongside DQXI.

-MD-

PC version unlocks in like 11-12 hours.

I'm only 20 hours into DQXI but I plan on playing them both together.

Holy snap. Really nice OT dude. Just as great as the game.

This game is gonna be a masterpiece. After playing the demo, I can FEEL it. Now I just gotta wait out the night to get my copy of the game delivered tomorrow. The wait is excruciating but will be well worth it.

gloone

I have the CE for ps4 preordered and paid for and I'm picking it up today. Feel like I should've gone with the Switch version though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I really hope more people will buy the game cuz it is available on pretty much every modern platform, were as the first game was PS3 exclusive for a long time and the other two... well, it's better not to talk about them.

I've pre-ordered Premium Edition (cuz I also want that tank) which will be delivered to me only next week or so, but I've Fire Emblem Warriors to keep me occupied so I really can't complain cuz I usually play just one game at a time anyway.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
In one of the biggest electronics shops in my country the Premium Edition has been sold out. I barely managed to secure a copy but i might have to wait for a few days to get it.

In any case this is good news for the game's early sales. Hope it continues its momentum.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
"This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour "

Nice. The one positive about the graphics is I might be able to play it on my Surface Book 2 in native resolution (3240 x 2160). How well does the original VC run in 4k on older cards?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's cool that certain characters are unlocked based on which side-characters level up or fall in battle. Was that in the previous games? I remember characters joining you randomly, but I don't remember having to meet certain criteria for unlocking more. Anyway:

Let Curtis Blackwell fall in battle (but it's okay to save him with your medic) and his sister -- an Engineer -- will join up.

PhoenixTank

It's cool that certain characters are unlocked based on which side-characters level up or fall in battle. Was that in the previous games? I remember characters joining you randomly, but I don't remember having to meet certain criteria for unlocking more. Anyway:

Let Curtis Blackwell fall in battle (but it's okay to save him with your medic) and his sister -- an Engineer -- will join up.
Yeah there were a handful to unlock in VC1, a couple of them need someone to fall in battle:
https://www.ign.com/wikis/valkyria-chronicles/Hidden_Recruits

Shai-Tan

Banned
How long does it usually take to prepare the pre-order for launch? Steam has been preparing to launch for like 10 minutes.

edit: laptop CPU to blame I guess? because the storage is a Samsung NVME. kind of silly that I could download the entire game instead in the time it takes to decrypt

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Got it for Switch last night but passed out before it unlocked. I'm so excited to play when I'm off work. Great job bringing it to Switch! Excellent OP btw.

Ulysses 31

How long does it usually take to prepare the pre-order for launch? Steam has been preparing to launch for like 10 minutes.

edit: laptop CPU to blame I guess? because the storage is a Samsung NVME. kind of silly that I could download the entire game instead in the time it takes to decrypt
PC version uses Denuvo. >.>

Last edited:
I was gonna play it last night (I assume it was unlocked at the time) but found out quickly I didn't have the Japanese voice pack downloaded yet *shudder*. So I went to the eShop to start downloading it and... my internet connection was gone, lol. It's fixed now and the DLC has been downloaded, so I can't wait to start playing tonight.

Shai-Tan

Banned
PC version uses Denuvo. >.>

Sure but that only figures after the game is ready to launch. I know people complain about it but I've played plenty of Denuvo games with no issues including hundreds of hours of Total Warhammer. Anyway I'm playing now. I'm getting 34-48fps in the native res of the Surface Book 2 3240x2160 on a gtx 1060 with all options turned up.

sublimit

Banned

I'm pretty sure there was nothing like that in the original. New recruits appeared as you progressed in the game. Good thing they are mixing it up a little in this game although i doubt i will leave any of my members to die.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
coming to my house the LE Edition via amazon.

I pick ps4, beause i dont have yet Nintendo Switch, but definitive i was pick this one.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Finally got my copy and I LOOOOOOOVE the Tank. Damn!!! so much detail on it. This is by far the best statue I got in Collectors edition in any game.

Shai-Tan

Banned

Im not disagreeing with the criticism but this:

The issue with the problematic nature of the writing within Valkyria Chronicles 4 is that video games don’t live in a bubble. Although many would like to argue otherwise, video games are inherently political and are influenced by the political leanings of their creators. Furthermore, video games can influence a person’s views.

is armchair social science . It mirrors earlier efforts by social conservatives to censor media with inflated claims about media effects.

PhoenixTank

Does anyone, that has played the demo, know what gets imported to the main game? I know in the demo recruits were capped at something like level 4, but wondering whether the excess xp/money gets imported too.
My copy is late to arrive so I might replay the available missions if it does.
Cheers!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finally got my copy and I LOOOOOOOVE the Tank. Damn!!! so much detail on it. This is by far the best statue I got in Collectors edition in any game.

Pictures? I haven't seen anything outside of the PR promotional material shots.

sublimit

Banned
Does anyone, that has played the demo, know what gets imported to the main game? I know in the demo recruits were capped at something like level 4, but wondering whether the excess xp/money gets imported too.
My copy is late to arrive so I might replay the available missions if it does.
Cheers!
I would like to know that too.

Also does anyone knows if Minerva has a love interest in the game? Just say yes or no please.

Graciaus

I only played the first two missions on pc. They might have improved the mission balance a bit but you really shouldn't be able to select the same unit more then once. More then half the squad I never moved. I reloaded exp gains and beating the 2nd mission in 3 rounds gave less then 4 rounds when I killed all the enemy leaders.

Eteric Rice

I guess we'll have some Era people returning to the boards soon. Lol.

As for the grab ass thing... I mean, the character is an asshole. He will do asshole things, of which sexual harrassment is one of those things. Will we not be able to have asshole characters because people will freak out if they do bad things?

Everyone has become a prude these days, god damn.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So what are the max stats one can get from the demo -- I have a cunning plan of grinding in the demo to the max so not having to grind for as long as possible in the game: )

Last edited:

Danjin44

So what are the max stats one can get from the demo -- I have a cunning plan of grinding in the demo to the max so not having to grind for as long as possible in the game: )
I think 4 is the max level for the demo.

petran79

Banned
Steam version supposedly supports ultrawide resolutions, yet it is still not implemented. There is even an option to move the HUD display outside the centre. Enabled both options yet got a HD resolution

kingbean

Era flipped more because of this pic >.>

I fucking hate that place more than I can peacefully describe.

Why is it so bad to have a shit character in a game? He's acknowledged as a shithead IN UNIVERSE.
It's like watching a fucking cop show and bitching and complaining that a criminal done did something wrong.

For fucking goddamn shit sucking sake! I could fucking scream.
I mean is every motherfucking piece of media supposed to be a beacon of progress?

How do these people enjoy anything?

I'm glad I bought the game. Work is real slow right now and I'm actually able to put some decent time into it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

As for the grab ass thing... I mean, the character is an asshole. He will do asshole things, of which sexual harrassment is one of those things. Will we not be able to have asshole characters because people will freak out if they do bad things?

Everyone has become a prude these days, god damn.
These days having characters with flaws = bad character. I personally more in to interesting characters even tho they not exactly "likeable". there also assholes like Rez in movies like The Fury.

Are we missing some kind of patch ? I've tried ps4 version today and there was ton of aliasing and my pro was dead quiet so it looks like Pro support is missing.

PS. Great job on OT

Last edited:
Era flipped more because of this pic >.>

hqdefault.jpg
I fucking hate that place more than I can peacefully describe.

Why is it so bad to have a shit character in a game? He's acknowledged as a shithead IN UNIVERSE.
It's like watching a fucking cop show and bitching and complaining that a criminal done did something wrong.

For fucking goddamn shit sucking sake! I could fucking scream.
I mean is every motherfucking piece of media supposed to be a beacon of progress?

How do these people enjoy anything?

I'm glad I bought the game. Work is real slow right now and I'm actually able to put some decent time into it.

Yeah, they're very pathetic. You don't see any other messageboards like this complaining about things like that or silencing others opinions about it by banning them.

It's also funny because I also post there, but I tend to avoid controversy subjects like that.

Last edited:

Durask

Because an asshole character who does things like that should be immediately condemned by all other characters and then disemboweled in a quick time event. The game should then pop up a reminder for you to check your privilege. This is the only acceptable way of dealing with this kind of issue.

Mecha Meow

Their reaction to Master Roshi was even more precious! You poor sheltered, closeminded, children....

Of course sexual harassment is bad, but shit, it's a fucking videogame. A work of fiction if you would.

Jesus.......

Top Bottom