• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT| Canvas Warfare

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
My Contributing to the saga friends.

DoPGudpVsAAX_La.jpg

Sorry about the photo quality, its night right now.

I like it at all, im shocking how is huge the boxart, and the tank is a good quality, i dont see the artbook to avoid spoiler, but checking quick is beautiful.

It worth this edition.

In fact I arrived on Tuesday, but because of the work I just opened it today =(

i love the smell of the tank :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Graciaus

So I finally got to play again and saw the sexual harassment scene. Talk about a non issue. Did people even watch the entire scene?

Anyone playing on pc? The story event in chapter 3 right before the next battle I can't fully view. The text is just blank and won't advance. You can scene skip but now I've no idea why there is a battle.

petran79

Banned
So I finally got to play again and saw the sexual harassment scene. Talk about a non issue. Did people even watch the entire scene?

Anyone playing on pc? The story event in chapter 3 right before the next battle I can't fully view. The text is just blank and won't advance. You can scene skip but now I've no idea why there is a battle.

Plus they ignored completely that you can also kill women enemies in the game. Not even SJW-friendly Uncharted does this. They have actual voice grunts this time. I am sure they' d have picked this instead if it werent for that scene.

YThe Siegval chapter is huge. 3 grand battles in one chapter. I stopped after the second. First side story chapter with the siblings was also tricky. Map symbols confuse me sometimes, thinking I can advance when there is a dead end ahead, wasting time

Just reload the scenes, they'll play the next time.

My only gripe is that if you capture a base and call for reinforcements,they appear in random spots away from the base, thus becomng cannon fodder for enemy soldiers and tanks.

CyberTRex

Neo Member
Bought VC4 yesterday, I liked how I was able to import the demo save and play from where the demo ended. So far I have noticed is that scouts are not as overpowered as in VC 1, maybe that changes later in the game.

That Chapter 3 butt grab scene, totally overreaction, typical anime trope scene.

Graciaus

I never watched any trailers or played the demo. So when I first saw Minerva I assumed she was the female MC love interest and I was happy with that. My ship sunk pretty fast when Riley showed up.
My hopes were up when she said she had something to tell me. Then she just says she hates me and always did. Lol

PhoenixTank

My hopes were up when she said she had something to tell me. Then she just says she hates me and always did. Lol
"Just like the simulations"

Got through Chapter 4 and I'm really glad you can replay missions after beating them once. While a better ranking system would be nice, at least there is no pressure to A rank them immediately - happy to take my time and destroy everything I can see.
Is this a new QoL change in VC4? VC1 limited it to new game plus AFAIK.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was very interested in this but fortunately saw late game on a stream and hoooo boy there were way too many BS mechanics. A strategy game has to be logical, otherwise it's just arbitrary trial and error, not strategy.

Got to chapter 6 and man, the game's already taken me for a crazy ride in just 5 chapters. Holy heck, chapter 4 - the battle of Siegval puts you right through the wringer from the get go. It reminded me of the Battle of Naggiar Plains in VC1, except that was towards the end of that game.

Absolutely loving the game so far. The characters are all as endearing as you'd expect from a VC game. Story and gameplay are also fantastic. My only regret is that Minerva is not part of my squad. Minerva is beast and I'd love to have a lead scout like her on my team. Why U do dis to me gamz?

Last edited:

zenspider

Exactly, it was funny and fitting. No issue here at all.

I get it, I really do - but the most "problematic" thing about it is that is impossible to discuss it with people who are #outraged. I don't think they even realize how insulting and belittling it is to force everyone, be it a fictional character or the player - or even themselves - into a victim role by some half-baked heuristics.

I legitimately enjoyed the tank gag however. I think it was genuinely funny, showed a naivety and obliviousness to counter/complement Claude's stoicism and personal desire to be a great leader, and put an obstacle right smack in the middle of two people trying to figure out how to respect each other.

petran79

Banned
I was very interested in this but fortunately saw late game on a stream and hoooo boy there were way too many BS mechanics. A strategy game has to be logical, otherwise it's just arbitrary trial and error, not strategy.

In stage 6 you get a message that troops can not march through fire, only tanks. Then the opponent issues an order where his troops can march through fire, destroying any strategy you had prepared. This is the reason they made the enemy AI so lenient or else game would be unbeatable without cheats.

cireza

I have just completed the first battle of chapter 15. The later battles of the game are pretty challenging. It looks like I am getting close to the end.

Chapter 4 might look difficult the first time, but it is really nothing compared to some of the recent battles I fought.

sublimit

Banned
I have just completed the first battle of chapter 15. The later battles of the game are pretty challenging. It looks like I am getting close to the end.

Chapter 4 might look difficult the first time, but it is really nothing compared to some of the recent battles I fought.
In general is it more or less challenging than the first game? Personally i never found the first game as hard as some people thought it was.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
aaj4vga.jpg

0ed.jpg

In general is it more or less challenging than the first game? Personally i never found the first game as hard as some people thought it was.

Less challenging. Mortar class is overpowered. Can't wait for the Expert Skirmishes dlc in November.

petran79

Banned

Here your tank can be destroyed with one blow. Same for enemy tanks. First game was more lenient in tank endurance. Everything else seems easier.

Last edited:

cireza

The game does not seem much different to me. Pretty much the same difficulty. There are battles where you are forced into elaborating a strategy to win. At least if you are aiming for an A rank. I got mostly A ranks by the way, and I am not particularly trying to rush things. I am simply pretty experienced with the level-design as a whole, having played and mastered the first game.

Two of the more recent battles I fought were A ranks, but in 4 and 5 turns. Because you have to build up a strategy and stick to it in order to win, so it takes time. You probably can't easily be faster than this. It is much more difficult in the big battles to simply rush inside enemy field, even with a Defense order. There are a lot of enemies everywhere, and there are also tanks and turrets that shoot continuously at your tanks when you advance. As well as grenadiers, that also empty your movement bar. So I think that they were smart if the gameplay adjustments, and manage to force you into actually building a strategy and play "properly".

Last edited:

It was sexual harassment followed by assault, that should have been more than enough to have gotten Raz discharged from the army

sublimit

Banned
The game does not seem much different to me. Pretty much the same difficulty. There are battles where you are forced into elaborating a strategy to win. At least if you are aiming for an A rank. I got mostly A ranks by the way, and I am not particularly trying to rush things. I am simply pretty experienced with the level-design as a whole, having played and mastered the first game.

Two of the more recent battles I fought were A ranks, but in 4 and 5 turns. Because you have to build up a strategy and stick to it in order to win, so it takes time. You probably can't easily be faster than this. It is much more difficult in the big battles to simply rush inside enemy field, even with a Defense order. There are a lot of enemies everywhere, and there are also tanks and turrets that shoot continuously at your tanks when you advance. As well as grenadiers, that also empty your movement bar. So I think that they were smart if the gameplay adjustments, and manage to force you into actually building a strategy and play "properly".

That's good to hear. Even the 2nd time i played the first game when i knew how i could get A ranks i still preferred to play slowly and methodically rather rush my way to victory because to me that felt like the "proper" way to play the game.

petran79

Banned
Enemy grenadiers are way too accurate compared to the ones you control. Plus their targeting system is one of the worst I've seen. Cant utilise them at all since it is impossible to shoot accurately from far away and use them very seldom as a result.

It was sexual harassment followed by assault, that should have been more than enough to have gotten Raz discharged from the army

But Raz covers for another female character, helping her not to be discharged from the army. One of the worst articles I've read.....

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Enemy grenadiers are way too accurate compared to the ones you control. Plus their targeting system is one of the worst I've seen. Cant utilise them at all since it is impossible to shoot accurately from far away and use them very seldom as a result.
Really!!? I actually find grenadiers more accurate than Lancers. I was take able to take down Tanks in one shot in long range compare to Lancers (even close up). I do agree when its enemies turn, our grenadiers will barely hit their mark compare to enemy's grenadiers.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Are there more fantasy elements like in VC1 or is this one more grounded? Also, am I going to find out what is up with the two Kai’s?

Danjin44

Are there more fantasy elements like in VC1 or is this one more grounded? Also, am I going to find out what is up with the two Kai’s?
Well first this takes place in same world and same war and second, by "fantasy" you mean
Valkyries
then yes they are in VC4 as well.

Graciaus

I find the game to be much easier. Ive got a rank on every mission up to chapter 8.
What do you mean? You need a spotter to show the grenedier where to shoot. Riley is crazy accurate and one shots everyone. Now if you mean interception fire that is a different story.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Chapter 4 The Battle of Siegval caught me off guard, dang pillboxes and enemy grenadiers.
Yeah, tough but also the most fun mission for me yet. I was so caught up in it that I cleared out all enemies and thus got a D rank since it took me like 6 or 7 turns :D
This is exactly the kind of battle I wanted from the game, bullets flying by, tanks rolling across the battlefield, mortar fire, snipers, pillboxes, anti-tank guns. It was AWESOME! More like this PLEASE!

The one thing I love about this game is how you only need 1 activation point for tanks. On the other hand orders seem really weak. I can't find a use for them. Like this one that gives boost to anti-tank, it barely boosted the damage despite costing 2 points. It is a million times more efficient to activate a unit 3 times (like a lancer or a tank) than to activate one and use an order.

mean? You need a spotter to show the grenedier where to shoot. Riley is crazy accurate and one shots everyone. Now if you mean interception fire that is a different story.

Riley can be accurate but it sometimes takes up to 3 rounds to destroy a machine gunner. I really don't understand this. The projection says she needs one hit to kill and despite getting a direct hit it sometimes takes a bit over 1/3 of hp, sometimes half and sometimes kills insantly. It is weird.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I find the game to be much easier. Ive got a rank on every mission up to chapter 8.

What do you mean? You need a spotter to show the grenedier where to shoot. Riley is crazy accurate and one shots everyone. Now if you mean interception fire that is a different story.

Is this ability unlocked in later levels? I am on 11, elite status. I see no spotter available, just the option to shoot the grenade

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is this ability unlocked in later levels? I am on 11, elite status. I see no spotter available, just the option to shoot the grenade
I believe you can have any unit establish visual contact with your target and the mortar can attack it through indirect fire. But I'm not very far into the game, so maybe "spotter" is a different option.

dionysus

Yaldog
Question about the damage mechanics.

Sometimes my headshots or mortars are 1 hit kills, and the damage calculation displayed in game agrees with this. Yet, often they do much less damage. I am thinking this is because of cover or being prone? So even though the visuals show a head shot, it is applying some type of damage mitigation for being behind sandbags/gun turret? On the mortars, does this damage mitigation apply if the mortar round lands in front of the cover, and not apply if it lands behind the cover?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Question about the damage mechanics.

Sometimes my headshots or mortars are 1 hit kills, and the damage calculation displayed in game agrees with this. Yet, often they do much less damage. I am thinking this is because of cover or being prone? So even though the visuals show a head shot, it is applying some type of damage mitigation for being behind sandbags/gun turret? On the mortars, does this damage mitigation apply if the mortar round lands in front of the cover, and not apply if it lands behind the cover?
Yes, splash damage, direct attack (the shell literally plonks them on the head), and splash damage through cover will each result in different damage.

Last edited:
Chapter 4 The Battle of Siegval caught me off guard, dang pillboxes and enemy grenadiers.
Me too, had an enemy who slipped through, back track and take my base as maybe I was being a little too aggressive trying to take out pillboxes, capture bases and advance all at once. Got it no problem the second time and finished the battle after that Siegval battle too.

Such a great game, Valkyria Chronicles games in general are ones I can easily lose track of time in and end up playing for hours, I think Im about 12.5 hrs in and have gone back in through the menu to do some of the squad stories missions (not the ones with squad 7) I'm saving those.

I've also come to the conclusion I still like the music better in VC1, although the soundtracks are super close and probably even some of the same songs, VC1 has the slight edge in soundtrack.

Durask

So, any idea how the game is selling outside Japan?
Since it pretty much bombed in Japan, it's up to us now.

Chapter 8.....HOLY S***

I KNEW IT! IT'S HAPPENED! MINERVA HAS JOINED SQUAD E!

That's it. Best scout (girl) is now in my squad. That's all I wanted from this game, a scout lead. I could put the controller down at this point and be content, but obviously I can't. The story just took an epic turn all of a sudden after the depression that was chapter 7 and I frikin' love it. Man, this is gonna be like OG VC1, running the unstoppable scout train through the enemy lines with Alicia, except this time it'll be with Minerva.

So, any idea how the game is selling outside Japan?
Since it pretty much bombed in Japan, it's up to us now.
I really hope it does sell well here because if not then that it for entire VC series.

It's depressing that the game barely sold about 100K in Japan.

BUT, on a (sad) positive note, the VC series has never been that popular in Japan. The majority of the franchise's sales come from the west. For example, the original VC1 only sold about 0.2 million in Japan, while it sold around 1 million total in the west, making it a cult classic. Similar cases for VC Remastered and VC2, so I'm pretty confident with the positive word of mouth and good critic scores, VC4 also has the same opportunity to become a cult classic like its predecessors. I'm sure the game's budget doesn't require it to sell tens of millions to be profitable. They could probably make a good profit from modest sales.

This is mostly anecdotal, but pretty much all the special editions were sold out in all online retailers I checked before the game even came out. So that's a bit of a positive news.

Graciaus

Chapter 8.....HOLY S***

I KNEW IT! IT'S HAPPENED! MINERVA HAS JOINED SQUAD E!

That's it. Best scout (girl) is now in my squad. That's all I wanted from this game, a scout lead. I could put the controller down at this point and be content, but obviously I can't. The story just took an epic turn all of a sudden after the depression that was chapter 7 and I frikin' love it. Man, this is gonna be like OG VC1, running the unstoppable scout train through the enemy lines with Alicia, except this time it'll be with Minerva.
the true waifu joining was the highlight of the game so far. She's also got great stats and abilities.

I'm on chapter 12 I think and starting to get a little bored. The combination of story, dialog, and characters are so cheesy even by anime standards. And I love anime. The difficulty is so brain dead easy the only real fun is save scuming for A ranks.

zenspider

I believe you can have any unit establish visual contact with your target and the mortar can attack it through indirect fire. But I'm not very far into the game, so maybe "spotter" is a different option.

This has been working for me. If my grenadier does not have LoS, but another unit does, I can cycle (L trigger?) to that unit for a direct hit.

Danjin44

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/media-create-sales-9-24-18-9-30-18

[NSW] Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Sega, 09/27/18) – 5,596 (New

Either there aren't many valkyria chronicles fans on switch or everybody that wanted the game got it on ps4 when it released months ago in japan
Damn it!!! Its like VC1 in 2008 all over again. It got great reviews but it just doesn't sell.

I've been too busy to start my playthrough but this is good to hear.
If you enjoyed original VC the there lot to love in VC4.

Last edited:

Dunki

Ok I am now in Chapter 8 and people talking about a difficulty spike. When does this happen? So far it is going pretty ok. I do not get As for sure sometimes even a D but I still manage to beat these without bigger problems unless something really stupid happens in the mission and I am totally screwed because suddenly I have to defend a post I have abandoned XD

But So far its really fun and I like the 4 main characters Claude, Kai, Raz and Riley. You also understand the Character of RAZ way more after a certain Interlude. And in this context alone the ass grabbing or some people call it sexual assault is really nothing.

Last edited:

CyberTRex

Neo Member
Unlocked the squad story: A Prayer for the Broken. A very well written side story, loved how Nico's personality clashed with Godwin. Rosetta explaining the world to Nico, just solid writing.

Danjin44

Unlocked the squad story: A Prayer for the Broken. A very well written side story, loved how Nico's personality clashed with Godwin. Rosetta explaining the world to Nico, just solid writing.
I really enjoyed squad stories and I like how other squads other than main characters join the conversation in main story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom