• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT| Canvas Warfare

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Era flipped more because of this pic >.>

hqdefault.jpg
Is it like that on the PS4 too?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m playing Squad 7 DLC and...
yap, Rose is still as racist as ever against dark hair.

Senhua

The sad things about this is some people think all/majority Japanese seem extremely permissive of everything pervy.
I can definitely say that such things aren't really accepted by the mainstream over here. What can seem huge and mainstream from over here is, in fact, niche content for a tiny audience.

I think what really separates Japanese and Western sensibilities when it comes to things like that is the fact that in Japan, people generally don't poke their noses into things that don't immediately interest them, and everyone tends to keep their hobbies to themselves.

Last edited:

Pantz

Bought the CE for the tank model and was not disappointed. Models half that size cost like $40. Kinda wish I could remove it from the snow display plate but it looks like it might be glued on.

blackjon24

Might get shit on for this but era is probably right on this one. I love the original game and dabbled in 2&3. Always wanted a true console follow up. But between the game looking like it's 10 years old, doing the same war again and pandering to the neptunia crowd (you know what I mean) it's a direction I didn't really want the series going.

Danjin44

Might get shit on for this but era is probably right on this one. I love the original game and dabbled in 2&3. Always wanted a true console follow up. But between the game looking like it's 10 years old, doing the same war again and pandering to the neptunia crowd (you know what I mean) it's a direction I didn't really want the series going.
well they take place in same war, also are you kidding me with “neptunia crowd” nonsense.

FINALLY! picked up my CE, only have about 2 hrs in + 4 hrs of the demo time. Seems to pickup where you left off after the demo, I can't help but wonder if I missed out on some trophies, I might replay some of the missions from the beginning later on. The tank is a good size! I was a bit worried as the Edelweiss from VC1 was very small compared to this one, beautiful CE tho.

gg8TMvQ.jpg

Below is my Valkyria Chronicles collection, including the ultra rare Japanese CE for VC1. Some mini figures from VC1 and larger ones from VC2. To the right the anime series for VC1 and the artbook for VC1 underneath of everything. I love this series.

li0PYTK.jpg

Last edited:

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member

Your reply already betray you for armchair critic and just jump on the bandwagon of a very small group of vocal angry people. Just like me you didnt even play VC4 ( I doubt even the other 3) and based your opinion on maybe some PR and the buttslap picture.

Btw Neptunia is more like *hihi a buttslap* and in VC4 the female defend herself by smacking him in the face.

Last edited:

blackjon24

well they take place in same war, also are you kidding me with “neptunia crowd” nonsense.

We had just revisited this time period in valkyria 3 it would have been nice to explore a different era. A different look wouldn't have hurt either. I guess the snowy area makes it look a little different but still. Didn't mean to offend with neptunia comment i just meant fan service jrpg. I've never played any games in that series but I've seen enough of it to recognize it in other games. I wouldn't put it at that level in vc4 but it's more fan service than anything we've had in the series up until now.

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member
We had just revisited this time period in valkyria 3 it would have been nice to explore a different era. A different look wouldn't have hurt either. I guess the snowy area makes it look a little different but still. Didn't mean to offend with neptunia comment i just meant fan service jrpg. I've never played any games in that series but I've seen enough of it to recognize it in other games. I wouldn't put it at that level in vc4 but it's more fan service than anything we've had in the series up until now.

So you pirate VC3 or just bought it at the local store ?

You didnt offend any one with your neptunia comment. We have a thicker skin then that, some people should learn from it. Your comment is just BS.

Even if you change the setting you will still have maps with trees, grass, mountains , sand and flowers.

Just keep your *outrage* over some pixels for yourself and grow up.

cireza

Game is actually pretty good so far, and that ass scene that "very important people talk about" did not particularly feel out of place, and Raz gets destroyed afterwards anyway.

Enjoying a game must be very difficult for some persons. Actually, they probably never play the games. Simply brag about how bad and inappropriate they are.

blackjon24

So you pirate VC3 or just bought it at the local store ?

You didnt offend any one with your neptunia comment. We have a thicker skin then that, some people should learn from it. Your comment is just BS.

Even if you change the setting you will still have maps with trees, grass, mountains , sand and flowers.

Just keep your *outrage* over some pixels for yourself and grow up.

You have problems man. The only person outraged in this topic is you

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm loving it so far. I'm only a few chapters/skirmishes in, but I can already see the variety of strategies opening up. I still feel pretty constrained because I don't have many vehicle options (like the APC) or alternative equipment loadouts.

Storyline is hitting all the right notes so far. It doesn't drag itself out too much. It doesn't take itself too seriously but it isn't afraid to touch on tragedy. The characters are comfortably trope-y but not too predictable. I like Claude. He has the "pure heart" of Welkin but isn't as sickeningly idealistic.

What do you folks think of the uniforms and characters? I think character design this time around is waaaay better compared to VC1 and VC2.

>

>

>

sublimit

Banned
I'm loving it so far. I'm only a few chapters/skirmishes in, but I can already see the variety of strategies opening up. I still feel pretty constrained because I don't have many vehicle options (like the APC) or alternative equipment loadouts.

Storyline is hitting all the right notes so far. It doesn't drag itself out too much. It doesn't take itself too seriously but it isn't afraid to touch on tragedy. The characters are comfortably trope-y but not too predictable. I like Claude. He has the "pure heart" of Welkin but isn't as sickeningly idealistic.

What do you folks think of the uniforms and characters? I think character design this time around is waaaay better compared to VC1 and VC2.

>

>

>

I like both styles the same but i appreciate that they tried to do something different with VC4. Costumes have more variety this time and every character seems to bring something from his/her own character traits into his/her own costume which is very nice.

PhoenixTank

I would like to know that too.
So what are the max stats one can get from the demo -- I have a cunning plan of grinding in the demo to the max so not having to grind for as long as possible in the game: )
My copy arrived so I can answer my own question. You literally "Load Game" and it lists demo save data - as best as I can tell it picks up exactly where you left off, with everything imported. Items assigned to units are still assigned to them and so on.
As mentioned before the max class level in the demo is 4, though I think I read you can increase the rank (Private, 1st class etc.) up to Corporal. None of my units are that buffed. You seem to be able to have a limit of 10000 EXP and 15000 DCT leftover/accrued in the demo - this amount gets carried over too :)

cireza

>

>

>
VC4 looks like it is making all the subtle changes and improvements we could hope for. I am not too far in the game either, but I can already tell that it is very well designed and improves a lot over the original. Which is a classic to me, one of the best Sega games of the decade.

Can't wait to play some more.

Danjin44

god damn.....
the chapter 4 trying taking dow that Iron wall was kind of tough!! Scouts are not as power here as they were in VC1, thats for sure.

I guess my memory isn't as good as it used to be :)

Hmm grenadiers are bit weird - I've used all their shots and then they start lobbing grenades as reaction fire

I put in about 4 hrs yesterday on top of my previous demo time, absolutely loving it. I played my remastered copy of the original Valkyria Chronicles the night before and took down General Gregor and his war train over top of the Darcsen concentration camp to brush up before Valkyria Chronicles 4. These games both play so similar, although I've really come to appreciate the Grenadier Class being added, to knock down sandbag bunkers and pick off infantry with snipers and other assorted fire power. The visuals have definitely improved since VC was last on a console during the PS3 days, yet VC4 is still faithful to the original art style and comic panel format for dialogue. Sega has given the core audience exactly what they've wanted, a faithful successor to the original VC with a handful of improvements.

I've found the story to be decent so far, although nothing huge has come up in the plot, a bit of back story/ character building in the beginning with Claude, Raz and Kai, I guess I have one question about that segment...
I guess one thing I'm a little unclear on, is... Kai is originally a guy, then becomes a girl? In the back story Kai was one of the guys and then Kai in your squad is very much a woman. I've heard that it was like sibling swap kind of thing but I'm not sure I ever caught on to how that took place. If the story explains it later on (if someone has made it to that point) then so be it I can wait but it was just kind of random.

And how about that collectors edition?! definitely one of my favs for everything that was included in a reasonably priced CE.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess one thing I'm a little unclear on, is... Kai is originally a guy, then becomes a girl? In the back story Kai was one of the guys and then Kai in your squad is very much a woman. I've heard that it was like sibling swap kind of thing but I'm not sure I ever caught on to how that took place. If the story explains it later on (if someone has made it to that point) then so be it I can wait but it was just kind of random.
E.
Y'know, I was wondering the same thing. The game isn't shy about "non-binary" characters, but it doesn't put a spotlight on them, either.

Rosetta Valeriano

Edinburgh army Squad E scout, age 28. Presents as feminine. Birth name is Rossano. Fights to end the war, and combat anti-Darcsen discrimination. Prefers women's clothing—partly out of a genuine wish to look beautiful, but also in an effort to encourage others not to judge by appearances.

Source

I wonder if the same people who complained about the "butt slap" were aware of Rosetta.

sublimit

Banned
CloudStrife please spoiler tag that bit about Kai.

Edit :Unless it was mentioned in her character bio from the start but i think i would have remembered it from the demo.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I was fooled by Rosetta at first.

I'm not far enough in the game. But I would assume those two are brother and sister. The brother dies at some point and she takes over as Kai. She is called a different name once but says she doesn't go by that anymore. Typical anime stuff.

Not a spoiler I'm only on chapter 3 just guessing.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Guys story bits that weren't told in the trailers or in the demo and they are in the chapter 3 and onwards are considered spoilers. That bit about Kai is a spoiler and i would have preferred to learn about it in the game. So please use spoiler tags even if it is for assumptions.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I guess we'll have some Era people returning to the boards soon. Lol.

As for the grab ass thing... I mean, the character is an asshole. He will do asshole things, of which sexual harrassment is one of those things. Will we not be able to have asshole characters because people will freak out if they do bad things?

Everyone has become a prude these days, god damn.
Got it! (sorry for the bad quality of the pic)
XU5ZxQf.jpg
Where are the pics of the tank?

sublimit

Banned
"Oh... heh heh... .what are all these amazing games I accidentally took a picture of in the background. Ohh... heh don't mind me..."

1266538891676.jpg
Haha i swear it was accidental! And anyway my collection of physical PS1 games is very small. But i love 100% each and everyone of them. :)

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31
It's inside the box. :p I just got it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The mission when....
you have to rescue Raz and Kai was pretty tough for me. I thought I could easily use scouts to get to them but nope, enemie's grenadier will tear you to pieces so I have use APC get my shocktrooper and one grenadier up there to take out machine gun and grenadier but what I didn't know that there was anti-tank gun was waiting for me up there. I'm loving this game.

Danjin44

Should I play the squad 7 dlc missions straight after chapter 2 or should I leave them for later?
You can play it when ever you want. I played after chapter 2 myself.

Once you beat it you can use squad 7 crew in battle.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Are folks keeping their teams pretty balanced (1-2 scouts, 1-2 shocktroopers, etc) or are you heavily loading up on particular classes for specific missions?

Danjin44

Are folks keeping their teams pretty balanced (1-2 scouts, 1-2 shocktroopers, etc) or are you heavily loading up on particular classes for specific missions?
I always bring atleast 1-2 shocktrooper and scouts but I choose between grenadier or Lancer or sniper base on what type of mission I'm dealing with.

cireza

You should always leave a shocktrooper crouching in your base, so I take 2 of them.
1 scout. 1 sniper. 1 engineer. 1 grenadier. These four are mandatory.

You don't have to fill all the deployment spots. Most of the time, I don't start with more than that. You can summon more troops once you get an enemy camp by the way.

You eventually get options that help move around more people, so this helps a lot.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You should always leave a shocktrooper crouching in your base, so I take 2 of them.

You don't have to fill all the deployment spots. Most of the time, I don't start with more than that. You can summon more troops once you get an enemy camp by the way.

You eventually get options that help move around more people, so this helps a lot.
Good point about summoning. Totally forgot about that. I haven't been threatened with my base getting overtaken, but I'm assuming there are missions later where that is a bigger risk. I'm still fairly early in the game.

Danjin44

Yap,
once you get APC moving around low stamina troops like Lancer and grenadier becomes much easier.

Also it in VC4 shocktrooper are much useful than scouts. It much harder to scout rush missions this time around.

sublimit

Banned

Great promotional video about the lore and history of VC 1&4 especially for newcomers to the series!

Last edited:

cireza

Good point about summoning. Totally forgot about that. I haven't been threatened with my base getting overtaken, but I'm assuming there are missions later where that is a bigger risk. I'm still fairly early in the game.
Yes, you should be careful. The AI will rush your base if opportunity is given.

Also, retreating a unit from the map is possible, it is very useful. It is free if the unit is in a camp.

There will be another way too. You will see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom