• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covfan

Just thought I'd warn you that the utterly detestable creature that is Katie Hopkins seems to think that the reports of racist abuse are because remain are sore losers.

Spladam

Sneering unelected MEP Eurocrat guffawing at our great elected MEP statesman who tells it like it is like we get all the good bits and no bad because BRITAIN HAS A FLAG

In other news, I loved this song anyway, but it encapsulates the feeling I have. Change NY to UK and a few other nouns and boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eohHwsplvY
Have you heard the Miles Davis youtube mashup of it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEtJw7pfLk&t=0s

Farage should be perma-juniored.
LoL

faragefacepalmuduiq.gif
Added to my facepalm.gif stock.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes. He has dealt harshly with anyone who gained too much prominence in his party and wanted some say in how it is run, or even what positions to take on matters.

And he is really about to get 50% in the next elections?

I cant even bend my mind that this is possible for a party with one member...

Ashes

Banned
I’m in absolute despair at how things are turning out. I keep thinking maybe things will turn out ok in the end, but I’m struggling to keep this optimism.

Politically, I cannot see myself voting for Labour anymore. They are a shambles and have been for a while, especially in Scotland. Even my resistance to Scottish independence has crumbled now...Ugh...

Don't be. We will be OK in the end.

Well, right now he is way below 50% of a majority vote :p
By my count he's at 20%. After next elections, probably 50% though, sadly.

Sorry, yeah, I should have clarified that I was talking about the current polls rather than the actual situation.

I am at least somewhat hopeful that other parties will use the UK as an example of what happens when you exit the EU. Once that starts becoming a campaigning point.

Zelias

Banned
Sad thing is, we really are the laughing stock of Europe right now. But Farage will be hailed as a hero telling those corrupt Eurocrats where to stick their unelected Europeanness. In-ger-lund!

We have such a warped self-perception.

jelly

Farage always wants the EU hate so he still has a job. I bet he wouldn't mind remaining in the EU if his gravy train and purpose continued. He is only in it for himself.

hodgy100

Is it still possible that Britain will not leave the EU after all? Or is it done and dusted 100%?

its looking increasingly likely that we will end up joining the EEA and everything will be the same, except we have no control over the regulations we have to follow and our economy will be worse off from the mess.

Biggzy

Is it still possible that Britain will not leave the EU after all? Or is it done and dusted 100%?

I say there is a 95% chance this goes through. I don't say 100% because it was a non binding referendum so it does give the government to ignore the result - highly unlikely though.

RedShift

Is there any chance of a sort of Denmark-Greenland situation where Scotland, London and Norn Iron can stay in the EU while the rest of the country leaves?

That seems like the best and most democratic solution if it were possible.

'I'm glad to see that Farage is working hard to sensibly negotiate an exit deal and prove he's not just an angry, vitriolic cunt. See, guys, we all thought Leave didn't know what they were doing but here we are!

Fuck experts and economists, scaremongering with lies of a falling pound! I went to Tescos and a mango was still 69p! Where the economic collapse they're going on about!? Nowhere, all lies'

I think my brain is breaking trying to imagine how these people actually think and reason. It's just unfathomable.

oti

Banned

As long as the UK doesn't invoke Art. 50 nothing will change, on paper.

But look at the last few days. The fallout is immense, the EU is prepared for negotiations, Germany/France/Italy have met in a new format already to discuss things and display unity, UK politics are imploding.

There's no going back after this.

I can understand that, and you need to try and get the wider perspective out of your mind, and plan your finances for you and your family accordingly, be selfish.

You can't change what has happened, but if you are smart with your income and outgoings, you can mitigate some of the risks.

Agreed. Any significant spending at this point should be to pay off as much debts as possible (credit, car, mortgage)

Take a look at outgoings, strip them to essentials, and even then shop for deals if out of contract.

Revisit savings, investments and pensions and do as much you can to to mitigate risk.

Look at your free time and what you can do to increase your income outside of work.

Most importantly (and this applies to everyone in this thread) sit down with a pen and pad and start writing down some concrete plans. The people who are going to suffer the most from the fallout are the people who are going with the flow and taking each day as it comes.

There has been a fundamental shift in the way we live our lives. The faster we accept it and change our habits, the better off we will be.

Zelias

Banned
It's possible, yes. The referendum is not legally binding and we haven't triggered Article 50 yet, basically officially declaring our intent to leave and starting negotiations on withdrawing.

Seems unlikely though, barring a miracle or some massive swing in popular opinion allowing the referendum to be ignored.

liquidtmd

Banned
Is there any chance of a sort of Denmark-Greenland situation where Scotland, London and Norn Iron can stay in the EU while the rest of the country leaves?

Impossible due to irony: The amount of immigration those parts of the UK would see from England and Wales would lead to the UKs irony-ometer blowing up

*Splinter

I'd be extremely surprised if London actually got some kind of independence from this. That seems like wishful thinking.

I can definitely see Scotland leaving over this, and I don't think it's entirely unrealistic to think Ireland would follow/join them.

DiGiKerot

Scotland and Northern Ireland I'm happy to let go their way - this isn't their mess - but regardless of how they voted, London need to face up and be made accountable for the fact that a large reason for this mess we've gotten ourselves into is due to years of aggressively londo-centric policy. They don't just get to seperate themselves from that. London rules England, they can't abandon it now they've ruined it.

PJV3

It's possible, yes. The referendum is not legally binding and we haven't triggered Article 50 yet, basically officially declaring our intent to leave and starting negotiations on withdrawing.

Seems unlikely though, barring a miracle or some massive swing in popular opinion allowing the referendum to be ignored.

There was a poll where a majority were happy for there to be some kind of recession but not to take a hit personally.

We shall see.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ule97jkRA

Farage making jabs at the MEPs as usual.
That guy behind Farage to the right at the end. My god. But those are also some new tones from him. Is this the way he intends to start negotiatons?

Bananas are serious business. In the war we had popular songs about how the shops didn't sell Bananas any more. No joke.
Same in communist countries. This was the cover of satirical magazine Titanic after German reunification, titled "my first banana":

8911-erstebananePK.jpg

Zaph

Something will go through, but what that looks like depends on the public reaction to zero change to the four freedoms.

With the amount of pressure the Tories must be under right now, we're about to see spin like never before as they try to make it palpable to delusional Brexiters.

jelly

You know what would be funny, so all that austerity and recovery over recent years, well we have wiped that out after this mess. Care for some more?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Scotland and Northern Ireland I'm happy to let go their way - this isn't their mess - but regardless of how they voted, London need to face up and be made accountable for the fact that a large reason for this mess we've gotten ourselves into is due to years of aggressively londo-centric policy. They don't just get to seperate themselves from that. London rules England, they can't abandon it now they've ruined it.
From what Ive heard is that the government of UK makes that Londoncentric policy.
So its not the fault of the city of London.

*Splinter

The most effective solution for too much londo-centric policy is to allow London to separate and do its own thing.
I don't see it happening but I disagree that London should be forced to clean up the rest of the country's mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom