• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Dev on X1 & PS4 Cross-Play "Please ask Sony"

Scrawnton

Why do people really want this? What's the point of having cross system servers? Do you really think you would be able to group up with your friends and voice chat with them even if Sony gave the okay?

I really don't get the obsession over this lately. If you're in a situation where you're friends have a different system then enabling cross play won't be the magic fix to bringing you together.

I'll file this one under: "Man, that'd be awesome, but as a Playstation gamer, it really doesn't affect me too much."

No big deal either way. If they work it out, awesome. If not, that's cool too. 40 million people own Playstations, I'm sure I can find one other person to play Tekken with. I won't be able to use a Playstation party with my friends on Xbox, or invite them to my games specifically, or any of that stuff presumably, since most of those functions call up the Playstation OS...

Not really sure why this is such a big deal to people.

Why do people really want this? What's the point of having cross system servers? Do you really think you would be able to group up with your friends and voice chat with them even if Sony gave the okay?

I really don't get the obsession over this lately. If you're in a situation where you're friends have a different system then enabling cross play won't be the magic fix to bringing you together.

- increasing the size and life of playerbases for games
- let's your privately match up with your friends at a minimum (e.g. rocket league)
- less need to buy two or more platforms just to play with friends

there is literally no downside for consumers. none.

farisr

I think people are mainly interested due to it boosting online multiplayer population counts. It'll be really helpful for some less popular titles.

Anyways regarding this, I don't know if there's technical or policy hurdles that need to be worked out. But if there are, then MS played their hand brilliantly, work out everything within the company (which could've taken a long time for all we know) and then announce or let developers know that they're fully open to it, whereas Sony's just caught off guard and then have to start internal discussions on how to do this, which they didn't do before as MS was so adamantly against it.

Or on the other hand, Sony's just against it and are remaining silent hoping it goes away. Who knows...

Bigger pool of players would give the game longevity.

Portugeezer

It's funny how before MS ok'd cross platform play you'd always see posts like "Oh Sony is totally down for cross play and have been since the PS2, it's MS that's not letting it happen!" Yeah they were always down with play with PC, but I figured they weren't interested with it happening with other consoles, and now we have proof.

It's easy for MS to allow it now that their console is behind and they have less to lose, for example, if MS keeps someone playing on XB1 and not needing to buy a PS4 to play with friends then they are benefiting from cross-play more than Sony. In general, it will be MS benefiting more from it because PS4 has sold a lot more.

PS4 is leading and Sony wants people to buy a PS4, and to buy games for PS4. I don't think cross-play will happen, at least not between AAA games. Maybe some indie games in future will have it, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They don't even have anything setup it seems. Much more of a generic answer unlike the previous devs.

Edit: Also, the hype for random matchmaking or voice less rooms cross play seems pretty high for what's being provided. We aren't getting friends chatting with each other anyways, so half the reason for my excitement is gone.
Xbox is getting a Discord UWP app, maybe PS4 will get an app too?

daman824

I don't think a GAF thread that hits 5-6 pages every now and then warrants a new PR statement, especially when they'll be largely meaningless anyways.

Either we'll have a PR statement in a few months or the silence will be telling.

As for the other poster, SE isn't going to port FFXIV to XB1 before getting the policy hurdles cleared with MS.

I mean... Microsoft first broke that they were implementing xb1/PC cross play and open to other platforms back in March. It's already been about 5 months. Sony going that long without saying anything meaningful should already be telling.

So everybody can play with everybody

Eolz

It's pretty incredible how people were calling for MS' head in the last thread and how people (not necessarily the same) find weird excuses for Sony this time.
Cross-play will be great for everyone, and won't make people suddenly buy more X1s either. It also won't be a dangerous thing or whatever for next gen, people transitioned from 360s to PS4s even by losing friendlists in the process.

Massa

I think people just don't realize they have zero communication with players from other platforms.

MW_Jimmy

There are already released digital games on the Xbox like #IDARB and Killer Instinct that support PC cross play too. Not just "1 game".

These comparisons are getting silly.

Those titles are not cross-network play - they are all within Xbox Live infrastructure so are actually not anything of note. It's exactly the same as PS4 and PSVita games that connect to each other.

As far as I am aware, Rocket League still stands as the sole title with Cross Network play which is between Xbox Live and Steam.

It's an important distinction to make, and shows just how early we are on this road of networks that talk to each other. Lets give it another year and see how many more titles are even open to talk to PC on both Xbox and PS4. I suspect there will not be many.

I think people just don't realize they have zero communication with players from other platforms.

Or most don't care. There are other ways to get around the communication problem. Discord, Mumble, etc. Also its probably possible for the developers to put in a chat system in game. I don't understand why people have such a problem with a unified community and would rather have a fractured community where people suffer for not choosing the right platform.

iceatcs

Not sure if MS interested in cross platform with other than Xbox & W10, after Steam/PSN is not compatible with Xbox One rocket league.

sense

Where did I say this? It would obviously help the system with the lower overall user base a bit more but there's nothing to lose. Xbox sales aren't going to greatly rise to PS4's overall sales if Sony accepts this move and (as I said above) this would also possibly help people to stay with PS4 instead of buying an Xbox just to have the ability to play with their friends.

you do realize this is not about playing with friends on the other system right? all this does is throw both sets in the same pool and increase the overall user base for the game. i am sure more people will be receptive if it involved being able to add a friend on the other system and play "with" them because then neither system owner is forced to get the other and everybody is happy.

As a gamer i don't need more shit talking in public games than there already is. if this is about some sort of unified friend's list then sure i am fully supportive of that idea but i doubt that is going to happen.

people have zero communication with people on other platforms already

only with crossplay you have a bigger pool of players. Considering Tekken isn't selling Diablo 3 numbers, more players would be welcome.

or we can just focus on the negatives like how you can't talk to them because consoles are now AOL Instant Messenger instead of devices that you play video games on apparently

Kayant

I mean... Microsoft first broke that they were implementing xb1/PC cross play and open to other platforms back in March. It's already been about 5 months. Sony going that long without saying anything meaningful should already be telling.
Wouldn't say it's that easy given Psyonix part of the reason MS "Opened" their network and the only other party outside MS that knew of this before it was announced has said this -
VP Jeremy Dunham(Psyonix) said:
They are not going to be able to say anything more meaningful if they indeed working on it atm.

IvorB

A larger pool of available players means more chance of many games getting active multiplayer bases. This is especially true for fighting games which aren't as popular as they used to be and can suffer from split communities. It surely can't be that difficult to appreciate that.

It's funny how the mood on this issue has changed now that it's Sony holding out.

thelastword

Banned
It'll continue to happen as well. For some, apparently all MS did was flick a switch and that's all Sony needs to do as well, lol.
We all know that's not the case....Who's going to pay Sony for their bigger userbase in virtually every game. Have people seen the divide between PS4 vs Xb1 in any typical multiplatform game or those who engage in online play per platform on these titles. Why would Sonly allow MS/MS players to tap into a bigger userbase of players that are not paying PS PLUS because suddenly it's a neat thing to do? This is business, beyond monetary issues, there are so many loopholes and restrictions on the network side of things.

People who believe MS is being the good guy here and is concerned about consumers are deluded, MS is just trying to push negative PR on Sony without discussing deep details with the public. If anything, Sony is more about cross platform play than MS will ever be, they've shown it so far back and in this generation as well. Some people questioned why they allowed SFV to be on PC, but it's there and there are a few games coming up that are PS4/PC crossplay as well.

All of a sudden MS is pro crossplatform play because they're trying to push their own titles on Windows 10 (their own software platform), so they offer crossplatform play on a few titles between PC and XB1...., doesn't mean it makes sense for Sony to expose their players to limited connectivity and communication with XB1 players, which benefits MS a million times better than it benefits Sony. MS was so much against the thought of crossplay last gen when it dominated proceedings massively, but now it's Sony hindering progress of crossplay ;) This could not be more transparent.

There are enough PS4 subs that any game has a good pool of players on the PS4, it's is up to MS to sort out it's lower player base and dwindling live subs.

Bigger pool of players would give the game longevity.
USF4 survived on each platform for so long, so did tekken tag 2. PC's have a billion+ installbase, a game will survive if it's good or people want to play it. I don't think Killer Instinct is lighting the charts on fire since it went to PC. There's a reason why individual console eco-systems has had their own advantage for so long. Quality is better if you concentrate on one platform, people will quicker leave a game and stop playing if quality is compromised across a million different platforms.

Look at Rocket League crossplay. Having friends on another platform is extremely hard to take advantage of. It's private rooms without voice chat or parties.

Not exactly something to be super excited about.

However, private rooms with a a friend is sufficient for a game like Tekken

Unknown?

Why should we be the ones doing Namcos work? They're making the damn game, sounds like they haven't actually done any talking with Sony and very lazy. They have more sway than we do, this is just to rile up gamers and nothing more than PR to get people talking about their game. If Sony is actually not responding with an answer and deciding the details on allowing this then us saying anything won't speed anything up.

Jawmuncher

We all know that's not the case....Who's going to pay Sony for their bigger userbase in virtually every game. Have people seen the divide between PS4 vs Xb1 in any typical multiplatform game or those who engage in online play per platform on these titles. Why would Sonly allow MS/MS players to tap into a bigger userbase of players that are not paying PS PLUS because suddenly it's a neat thing to do? This is business, beyond monetary issues, there are so many loopholes and restrictions on the network side of things.

People who believe MS is being the good guy here and is concerned about consumers are deluded, MS is just trying to push negative PR on Sony without discussing deep details with the public. If anything, Sony is more about cross platform play than MS will ever be, they've shown it so far back and in this generation as well. Some people questioned why they allowed SFV to be on PC, but it's there and there are a few games coming up that are PS4/PC crossplay as well.

All of a sudden MS is pro crossplatform play because they're trying to push their own titles on Windows 10 (their own software platform), so they offer crossplatform play on a few titles between PC and XB1...., doesn't mean it makes sense for Sony to expose their players to limited connectivity and communication with XB1 players, which benefits MS a million times better than it benefits Sony. MS was so much against the thought of crossplay last gen when it dominated proceedings massively, but now it's Sony hindering progress of crossplay ;) This could not be more transparent.

There are enough PS4 subs that any game has a good pool of players on the PS4, it's is up to MS to sort out it's lower player base and dwindling live subs.

USF4 survived on each platform for so long, so did tekken tag 2. PC's have a billion+ installbase, a game will survive if it's good or people want to play it. I don't think Killer Instinct is lighting the charts on fire since it went to PC. There's a reason why individual console eco-systems has had their own advantage for so long. Quality is better if you concentrate on one platform, people will quicker leave a game and stop playing if quality is compromised across a million different platforms.

This just seems like a lot of broad assumptions. The fact is that atm we're at one side trying to allow cross platform with a competitor. Regardless of the past actions, that's a pretty big deal. If the ball is now in Sony's court, then it's in sony's court. No side stepping the issue because of how many more sales and what not they have over MS changes anything. If they're in such a powerful position allowing cross platform play isn't going to be a issue. More players is more players when all platforms are combined, regardless on the size of player bases per system. I wouldn't even say individual systems are even that much of an advantage. We've had cross platform further back in the case of FF11 and all versions of that game were fine for what the systems could do during that time frame. Setting up cross play is in fact easier than some believe. Awhile back even Defiance was trying to do cross play with PS3 and 360, but ended up just scrapping it since they couldn't budge MS or Sony.

All in all, there's no reason to be against cross platform play.

Think about it. MS are are ones struggling for a player base here.

This means zero to Sony and everything to Microsoft this gen since they're struggling to stay relevant and it's online player numbers are probably droping by the day.

Not saying it's right but the sudden motivation to have this seems suspect considering how hardline they were on this for years.

The crap people keep posting in defense of Sony on this forum is astounding. Do you people actually sit down and read the shit that you type before hitting the reply button. My goodness.

Agent X

I believe that the console manufacturers should work toward enabling cross-platform play. However, I don't believe it's as simple as "flipping a switch" as some people would have you believe. There are surely other technical and legal obstacles that need to be dealt with first.

For example, WaterAstro brought up a good point earlier in this thread:

Both Sony and Microsoft have guidelines strictly saying that the game cannot contain branding from its competitors.

You can bet that all three console makers will make sure they don't see competitor branding in this game for this feature if it even happens.

If someone is playing on PlayStation 4, how would the game distinguish a player on Xbox One? For example, would it display an Xbox logo next to his name, or the letters "XBL"? If the console makers don't want to promote competitors' branding, then both sides need to agree on a common ground of how they want to handle this.

There are other technical hurdles, too. Would the PS4 player be able to add the Xbox One player to an in-game "friends list"? Would they be able to engage in voice chat together? Would voice chat use the same protocols and codecs? If not, then would the protocol conversion processes be handled by Sony and Microsoft, or by the developer?

Again, I firmly believe this should happen, and the sooner the better--but this is not an instantaneous process. If developers have discussed this in depth with both Microsoft and Sony, and if one side truly is holding up the process, then I think they would and should be more specific about this when making their public statements. Since all of the developers' statements so far seem rather vague on what the hold-ups are, I can only guess that there are matters being worked out behind the scenes, and not outright opposition to the concept.

It's easy for MS to allow it now that their console is behind and they have less to lose, for example, if MS keeps someone playing on XB1 and not needing to buy a PS4 to play with friends then they are benefiting from cross-play more than Sony. In general, it will be MS benefiting more from it because PS4 has sold a lot more.

PS4 is leading and Sony wants people to buy a PS4, and to buy games for PS4. I don't think cross-play will happen, at least not between AAA games. Maybe some indie games in future will have it, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

What is there to lose? People talk like cross platform would completely unify the two consoles, but I seriously doubt it, I'd be surprised if you would even be able to talk to other console owners. The only advantage being given to anyone here is the consumers, and for Sony to tell use to fuck off after all that "#Fortheplayers" bullshit is trash.

LowParry

I kind of expect PC to cross play with consoles but between PS4 and XB1? Doubt it. But I certainly hope PC and PS4 can play.

Yudoken

I kind of expect PC to cross play with consoles but between PS4 and XB1? Doubt it. But I certainly hope PC and PS4 can play.

If Sony would only give their ok....
Actually in this case it's not that ''important'' for pc gamers if MS/Sony can fight against each other.
Rocket League is PC against PS4 or Xbox one and for a game like Tekken there is only need for one player (other than for private lobbys) but nonetheless Tekken needs full xplay.

Calm Mind

Think about it. MS are are ones struggling for a player base here.

This means zero to Sony and everything to Microsoft this gen since they're struggling to stay relevant and it's online player numbers are probably droping by the day.

Not saying it's right but the sudden motivation to have this seems suspect considering how hardline they were on this for years.

Get up out out of your chair, pick up your keyboard and throw it out of the window. Power down your computer and lay down and think about what you've done young man.

Head.spawn

It's just funny to me that the old narrative was that Sony always supported this feature and of course they were going to allow it, then it shifted to it not being technically easy and now "Sony doesn't need to do MS favors". When all the while MS hasn't said anything past their initial announcement and it has been developers pushing the button. When it was CDPR, people claimed it was because they were in MSs pocket... now it's Namco, a company that has been hand in hand with Sony since Day One of PS.

Maybe we can just skip all of the political nonsense and just get a solid answer from Sony.

Going for it? Awesome, glad to hear.

Fucking nope? At least we have a clarified point.

Ball is in Sony's court, if they don't want to play, just say so. It doesn't need to be this complicated and devs don't need to waste their time on solutions if the answer is going to inevitably be "No.".

It's especially good for when Game populations would normally drift away and become lean. Normally without cross-play it can be a game killer, with cross play, all of those lean pools can add up to keep it interesting.

Hubble

Pretty much confirms Sony is the decision-maker to implement cross-play for Tekken 7 and strongly implied that this is what the Tekken devs want. A shame Sony holding back innovative features, really.

Bgamer90

Banned
you do realize this is not about playing with friends on the other system right? all this does is throw both sets in the same pool and increase the overall user base for the game.

It can be both. Just increasing the userbase is obviously easier but doing that can lead into having players play against people on "other" via in-game features.

As a gamer i don't need more shit talking in public games than there already is.

I don't understand this. You don't use mute?

Top Bottom