• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Dev on X1 & PS4 Cross-Play "Please ask Sony"

Like every corporation ? Stop being childish.

-d0hv

Microsoft is obviously after the profits too but has allowed this. What reason does Sony have to disagree or ignore it other than arrogance? It's a huge positive to the consumer and could possibly be a decision maker for prospective buyers.

farisr

Microsoft is obviously after the profits too but has allowed this. What reason does Sony have to disagree or ignore it other than arrogance? It's a huge positive to the consumer and could possibly be a decision maker for prospective buyers.
While I do hope Sony allows it, MS has more to gain from this than Sony does.

At this point, the XB1 online populations of multiplat games are generally lower (and for certain games that seem to appeal to the PS crowd more, even lower), which can reduce customer engagement/spending. Opening up crossplay for those titles, can result in "multiplayer population/more active community" not being a factor anymore when ti comes to console/game purchasing decisions for people which is what MS wants. Whereas, as it stands currently, it is an advantage that the PS4 has over XB1 for Sony.

While I do hope Sony allows it, MS has more to gain from this than Sony does.

Yes, but like I said, the party that has the most to gain is the consumer. Caring about the consumer in such a heavily consumer-focused product is probably a good idea, surely?

farisr

Yes, but like I said, the party that has the most to gain is the consumer. Caring about the consumer in such a heavily consumer-focused product is probably a good idea, surely?
I already said I want Sony to do it. It'll suck if they don't and will probably have a BS excuse for why they won't allow it, just like it sucks they don't allow EA Access to be on PS4 and had that BS "doesn't provide value for our customers" line.

But you're looking at it in isolation from consumer benefits rather than the whole picture. You asked why Sony may not do such a thing, I gave you the answer. Businesses are always in a balancing act cost vs benefit.

I mean looking at it from a strictly business perspective, if we go about "caring about consumers" where does it stop? Surely selling the console for $99 right now would also benefit the consumers, but there's no point if you lose a ton of money by doing that. It's a cost vs benefit situation.

If there are less people buying PS4 consoles or ps4 versions of the game, because the active community/online population is now the same on both consoles, rather than the ps4 holding the advantage in that aspect, and the potential lost revenue from that is too much compared to the benefit of doing such a thing in their opinion, they won't do it.

00ich

Again - how is it beneficial to PS4 players to not even have the option? Of course it's not going to give you access to the full set of features available within one platform, but there's plenty of workarounds for things like private voice chat rooms.
Not that I'm a fan of the platform lock in, but that sounds a lot like the early days of PS3 online. Which means everybody would hate the experience.

That's a different story for a MMORPG or something else with long gameplay loops.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Gonna quote myself:

Console warriors, man....
Still find it unlikely that Sony is just doing nothing on this for no reason. I suspect Microsoft had provisions and a nda making this seem like they're open when in fact they've tied it to Windows 10 or something pernicious like that.

charsace

Still find it unlikely that Sony is just doing nothing on this for no reason. I suspect Microsoft had provisions and a nda making this seem like they're open when in fact they've tied it to Windows 10 or something pernicious like that.

If that is the case someone would have said something. No one has said anything in months about anything like this and nothing has leaked.

The simple answer is that Sony doesn't want to do it.

Kayant

If that is the case someone would have said something. No one has said anything in months about anything like this and nothing has leaked.
There has been devs that have spoke about MS cross-platform polices not allowing them to implement cross-play. MS have their own requirements/policies but nothing along the lines of needing integration with Win 10 or something which was their previous stance before their announcement the only reason Rocket League now has cross-play with PC is because MS "Opened" to allow other networks like Steam to interact with XBL outside the Win 10 store.
The simple answer is that Sony doesn't want to do it.
What we know so far is that is not true and is more of a matter of things taking time atm.

May I ask the reasoning behind this line of thinking?

What do Sony/MS gain/lose?

If ive bought Rocket League on Xbox One. I've already bought it. What is Sony or MS losing or gaining by allowing cross play? If anything it KEEPS people with Sony.

My brother is starting to sway towards buying RL on Xbox One because all his relatives have it on Xbox One. As soon as he heard about this, he cancelled any plans to buy on Xbox. So It kept him as a Sony Rocket League player.

Just from the install bases of each machine, it should be obvious that your brother's usecase is uncommon. Sure. Sony would gain a sale by having people with XBox social circles be able to use their machine. But right now, they gain far more sales from people in Sony social circles only having one choice when buying a new console to play online with friends.

The math just never works out in Sony's favor. The only way I see this happening is if they charged Microsoft a service fee, essentially asking every user playing against Playstation players to pay for PS Plus. (Microsoft would then naturally pass that onto the consumers).

Top Bottom