• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Dev on X1 & PS4 Cross-Play "Please ask Sony"

It's not always that clear because 2 games aren't adding XB1 for cross-play because of MS's policies. People are being a bit antsy here Psyonix believe they are working on it and are confident it will happen with time.

They have
This is a non answer on political levels. What ifs and might bes are basically boogeymen.

If they can't divert resources to figure this out then fine. Say it's not going to happen and everyone can move on.

Wheatly

You're purposely being obtuse. You really think "Talk to Sony" means they want the customers to do it from them? I'm sure they have talked to Sony, and didn't get a satisfactory response, and so now they want the consumers to put them over the fire.

And we are all well within our rights to villainize Sony or MS for allowing it. MS were being dicks before, but seem to be cool now, and Sony has been beating the cross platform drum for years now, yet now they seem to have their lip sealed.

You guys are the ones jumping to criticism (and for you, assumptions) off of a uninformative tweet.

And in terms of being obtuse, what resounding evidence do you have for MS - Sony crossplay for the bolded above?

Head.spawn

Sony's official statement to follow:

mjl.gif

In all honesty, that would be better than saying nothing at all.

It's really simple. The leading console blocks crossplay so that if you want to play with friends you don't buy the other console. MS did it last gen Sony might be doing it this gen.

do you think people would switch from XBO to PS4 because of T7? seriously? I don't think so, if anything it just benefits the developer and publisher, more players = more sales in all platforms

and on the other hand, I really, really doubt Sony was pro-crossplay last gen, actually they didn't offer any help or initiative towards that, unlike MS this time, so don't jump in to that conclusion so easily

Didn't MS say that cross play would be between any platform that is on W10? So PS4 would have to be running W10 in some way to allow cross play with XBL?

You guys are the ones jumping to criticism (and for you, assumptions) off of a uninformative tweet.

And in terms of being obtuse, what resounding evidence do you have for MS - Sony crossplay for the bolded above?

I'm only going off what I've been told here. But there is also this:

I-hate-u

Of course, but uniting the community is way more important.
This is an step to unify all platforms no matter where you play.
More players = more possible connections (near you) and skill levels = better game.

Of course, but it's the next best thing. Sony is too stubborn to approve this.

Right, not the fact that their playerbase is dwarfed by their main competitor. No sirree.

Microsoft has not even said they're down for T7 cross play.

Where is a statement of Microsoft pushing for cross play with Sony?

That's vague. I'm talking about MS publicly stating they want cross play, specifically saying Sony or PSN.

Sony doesn't need to do anything as long as you have those like this trudging the forums laughing at how Microsoft is now in desperate need to get more players at a time when the company has shifted gears from consoles sold announcements to active Xbox Live users .

Head.spawn

I'm only going off what I've been told here. But there is also this:

Yeah, their immediate response was to posture up like cross-network play is a trivial aspect, since they're pros at doing it since wayyy back.

Didn't MS say that cross play would be between any platform that is on W10? So PS4 would have to be running W10 in some way to allow cross play with XBL?

This first part is correct, your second part leads to the wrong assumption. It was "they natively support between xbox and any win 10 game that uses xbox live" and "cross network with any network a developer chooses".

Kayant

This is a non answer on political levels. What ifs and might bes are basically boogeymen.

If they can't divert resources to figure this out then fine. Say it's not going to happen and everyone can move on.
That's just a silly way of thinking. They found out the same time everyone did they are not going to just say yes when MS had already had time to consider what they want before announcing their plans. What Yoshida said was actual decent PR and the reality of how things happen.

The fact is things take time Psyonix themselves have said the same thing as Sony so far I don't see why you somehow think it's just been "PR".
Again with this shit.....
Edit -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207492856&postcount=47
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204514215&postcount=76
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198315354&postcount=93

wapplew

do you think people would switch from XBO to PS4 because of T7? seriously? I don't think so, if anything it just benefits the developer and publisher, more players = more sales in all platforms

Of course it will make people choose one or another. This might be a matter of big player pool or bigger player pool in the US/EU, but it is a huge factor in smaller region.
Sure, in an ideal world, one big unify player pool is the best thing ever. But things don't work like that in reality.
It's like asking Facebook to share their users with Google+, it's very pro consumer but they won't do it.

All that is assuming Sony being a dick and reasonably so. But we don't know for sure yet.

It's not about playing with friends, it's about non-AAA games with small and continually dwindling communities coming together to make bigger ones so that you might actually be able to find a game. What about that's hard to comprehend?

It even applies to AAA as well. Easy example being Titanfall. Way more popular on Xbox than PC. If Titanfall 2 has players from all 3 platforms in one pool then it is a complete non issue.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That is not true at all and you shouldn't present your opinion as fact unless you have evidence to back it up.

If they did, Sony would be under far more pressure than they are now. Its just a simple fact.

I'm not here to argue for whether or not it would be a pro consumer oriented move or not, it obviously would be.

But does it benefit Sony outside of that goodwill or MS more? And is there enough of an actual outcry from users to have Sony care about such a thing? Notice how i'm not talking in terms of if its good or not. This conversation is strictly related to whether or not it makes sense business wise for Sony to bother with it.

Its the same argument you could have for EA access, where Sony would make the argument that having these subscription services devalue PSN's own subscription service and would set a bad precedent for other similar subscription services.

4 the players
Greatness awaits or you can already have it on XB1 which supports cross-play.

But, PS4 supports crossplay with PC in their games far more than Xbox 1. We're talking about crossing over Sony and MS consoles specifically.

sense

It can be both. Just increasing the userbase is obviously easier but doing that can lead into having players play against people on "other" via in-game features.

I don't understand this. You don't use mute?
Unless I hear ms/sony/a dev say it is possible to party up with someone on another system through some in game feature, this cross network play doesn't really benefit anyone that much unless the game has a smaller player pool and needs to combine to have a healthy player pool. Games like cod, battlefield, destiny are never really going to run into this issue.

I usually don't mute right away unless someone is really annoying which happens more often than not but I do give it a shot. Obviously it isn't really a big issue but there are no real benefits to me with the way it is currently being presented as so I don't really care if it happens or not.

Inuhanyou

What some people have to understand about Sony when they bring up consumer oriented moves, is that "4theplayers" is just a cheap marketing gimmick. While they care about retaining users and growing their base, they are not going to destroy their own competitive advantage in the market with the only payoff being for you and me.

Sony are still a faceless corporation who operate with their own self interest in mind no matter who they put on twitter or what their PR is.

The sooner people realize these corps are not their friends, the better. The only question is, do you like their content and what they put out there enough to support their operations.

In the end, PC will benefit most with these kinds of deals. I could see a situation where there is PC cross over with both MS and Sony users but no overlap between the two, so PC gets 3 userbases and the others only get 2.

That's just a silly way of thinking. They found out the same time everyone did they are not going to just say yes when MS had already had time to consider what they want before announcing their plans. What Yoshida said was actual decent PR and the reality of how things happen.

The fact is things take time Psyonix themselves have said the same thing as Sony so far I don't see why you somehow think it's just been "PR".

Edit -

Don't worry. He'll pretend he didn't see this post and bail.

Oh ok.

IGN said:
Psyonix vice president Jeremy Dunham says work on Rocket League's proposed cross-network play between PS4 and Xbox One is now complete, could be up-and-running within "a few hours", and only requires Sony's approval to be released.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/07/2...w-ready-for-release-only-needs-sonys-approval

What's your next BS qualifier?

Kayant

Sigh...

Almost as if there was more said there -
Sony's such a big company that I'm sure it takes a while for them to figure out what it is that the roadblocks are, what sort of issues they might run into with other titles, any number of things that I can't even begin to speculate on. We definitely ask them for updates often, and we're still very confident that they're eventually going to open those doors and welcome us in, but we also are really understanding that it's going to take a while especially given all the ramifications of everything. It was just as much of a surprise to them as I think the rest of the world when Microsoft said that they would do it.

At the risk of sounding naïve, I do think it will happen. Whether or not it'll be soon is another question. The sooner the better for us, and for our fans, and fans of other games [...] I do think it's inevitable, I think the industry is going to get there, because I don't see the downsides from it.

Do you actually read what was said or are you just being obtuse just because.

shoreu

Sigh...

Not specifically referring to you at all just going to make a statement/ ask a question.

Since sony has been championing Cross play for so long shouldn't they have already been looking at ways to deal with these roadblocks and such. I understand things take time but communication is key here and they have been slow to respond on the subject "recently"

cross platform play?

looks like we gotta add that to the chalkboard then amirite?

if it happens, great, the select few will be happy. if it doesnt, life goes on.

Inuhanyou

Not specifically referring to you at all just going to make a statement/ ask a question.

Since sony has been championing Cross play for so long shouldn't they have already been looking at ways to deal with these roadblocks and such. I understand things take time but communication is key here and they have been slow to respond on the subject "recently"

Let's be real, they have never seriously considered crossplay with Xbox, only PC. And probably still are not seriously considering it.

Pretty much confirms Sony is the decision-maker to implement cross-play for Tekken 7 and strongly implied that this is what the Tekken devs want. A shame Sony holding back innovative features, really.

lol now your reaching here.

and seeing that avatar you have i guess i shouldnt be surprised

Edit -

Well I still don't know what way it works so I'm just assuming. Not against it or anything, just curious to what way it would work.

Sigh...

I'm not the one moving goalposts with every reply. In fact this is my last one because your insane defence of a company over something so open in terms of software and community is just ugh idk.

You said Psyonix made a vague PR move. They've done the work to get their product cross platform ready. Tear down this wall already.

I wish Sony would let devs do this. I look forward to a future where I can play a game on my PC that doesn't have a dead online community thanks to it's console brethren.

Kayant

Well I still don't know what way it works so I'm just assuming. Not against it or anything, just curious to what way it would work.
Sure Sure you don't even though you were in the same thread the policy was announced and iirc I shown you what the announcement meant before.
I'm not the one moving goalposts with every reply. In fact this is my last one because your insane defence of a company over something so open in terms of software and community is just ugh idk.

You said Psyonix made a vague PR move. They've done the work to get their product cross platform ready. Tear down this wall already.
Ha now the lies begin...

Please please show me where I have said this and show the goal post I have moved so far.

Getting a better picture of how things are/trying to understand the business side of things /=/ Rapid defense force.

Bl@de

Serious question: How many people even buy Tekken on Xbox? 10%? Always seemed like a Playstation title to me. So why should Sony care? Their playerbase will be big enough anyway.

shoreu

Let's be real, they have never seriously considered crossplay with Xbox, only PC. And probably still are not seriously considering it.

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

if this is is truly the case,Then they pulled a pr stunt similar to what people are acusung MS of doing right.

Inuhanyou

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

if this is is truly the case,Then they pulled a pr stunt similar to what people are acusung MS of doing right.

With online play? Sure. Of course, then, with FF14 people were mad that Xbox didn't get the MMO to begin with. Of course i don't think SE really cares about Xbox anyway, and just wanted an excuse not to put it on another platform

Montresor

This is a first-page sampling of some people's reaction to Rocket League initially not having any cross-play on Xbox One. There is a lot of snark, and a lot of legitimate concern, and a lot of justified anger. All of the below comments are 100% justified. No cross-play on Xbox One for Rocket League was a shitty move. I find it very curious that not as much of the same is found in this thread. From skimming the first page of this thread I already see lots of comments justifying Sony's stance, talking about how Sony's bottom line will hurt, how Sony shouldn't be concerned because it "only benefits Microsoft and their <dwarfed userbase>".

Nothing unexpected.

Well that's going to hurt the game's longevity on the xbone. Shame they couldn't get it worked out.

Shock. Such a shame though.

Lame. Why is it closed off like that?

So... Rocket League on a Microsoft console can't play with people owning Rocket League on a Microsoft OS... but the latter can play with the Sony console.

Pretty much tells how is Microsoft totally wrong with crossplay and PC.

Yeah, pretty terrible but what you gonna do.

Building that walled garden.

Not even cross-play with W10? Not that I know any PC players that I'd play with but still, that blows.

Yup.

MS dropping another ball.

Game probably won't last long with just the XB1 playerbase.

Microsoft

No doubt about it.

Ugh. Once again, Microsofts separate servers rule screws gamers over. Atleast xbone owners can play the game, unlike FFXIV.

That's a shame

Not surprising. In the same way we will never see a cross platform MMO like Final Fantasy IX was on the 360. I honestly can't see how this benefits Microsoft, but I guess it is along the same lines as region coded games.

Not seeing how anybody can defend this. This is pants.

This sucks, all it does is hurt xbox gamers. Fuck sake MS, sort your shit out.

Assuming there's anyone to play with :p

Crazy how you can do cross platform with Sony/PC

But the company that has been talking about Xbox/PC for the past 7 months won't allow it

They don't have their head in the game at all

But hey, you get those first class citizen warthogs right?

First (class) citizens and so on..

Will be interesting to see how big the playerbase is after some weeks. Can't imagine that many people will be thrilled to see only a couple of hundreds players on Xbone compared to the daily 30k-80k players on PS4/PC

Should have been the first and only reply needed

As an XB1 owner - this is a shame as surely it will hurt the longevity.

Microsoft always make great strides - and then hurt themselves continually (if it is microsoft decision)

Really bad news. Hurts the longevity. No doubt.

First class citizens of the Walled Garden.

Not quite first class.

Let's just say, if street fighter v was not an exclusive and also came out on Xbox one

PC/Sony would still be able to play together

But Xbone could only play with other One owners

DAT Spencer's parity clause.

EDIT - Beaten.
Sucks for Xbone only owners, too: game will be dead in just a few months. :(

Its a shame, but its expected.

You kind of have to chuckle at the people that had hope Microsoft would allow Xbox players to play with PS4 players as well

Alright, guess I was wrong and this is all on Microsoft.

Kayant

They could have but you have to consider that for majority of the X360 era MS don't support cross-play then with XB1 they allowed cross-play between Win10 store games/Xbox before becoming "Open" to close back so you can see why they might not have being thinking about anything before hand. Also am not 100% but they may also need to consider MS's policies meaning making predictions would have been pointless.

It's not that they are have been "championing" cross-play but they haven't been opposed to it for a while as seen by the PS3/PS4/PC, PS4/PC and PS3/PC games we have so far.

shoreu

With online play? Sure. Of course, then, with FF14 people were mad that Xbox didn't get the MMO to begin with. Of course i don't think SE really cares about Xbox anyway, and just wanted an excuse not to put it on another platform

Honestly I have no clue what do think about that situation.

This is a first-page sampling of some people's reaction to Rocket League initially not having any cross-play on Xbox One. There is a lot of snark, and a lot of legitimate concern, and a lot of justified anger. All of the below comments are 100% justified. No cross-play on Xbox One for Rocket League was a shitty move. I find it very curious that not as much of the same is found in this thread. From skimming the first page of this thread I already see lots of comments justifying Sony's stance, talking about how Sony's bottom line will hurt, how Sony shouldn't be concerned because it "only benefits Microsoft and their <dwarfed userbase>".

Lol man I wanted someone to do this and you came through.

wapplew

What's so curious about it? It was stupid for a smaller community refuse to join a bigger community. It was equality stupid to give up a major advantage to your direct competition on business stand point.
I don't see those statement on both thread contradict each other.

Three

and on the other hand, I really, really doubt Sony was pro-crossplay last gen, actually they didn't offer any help or initiative towards that, unlike MS this time, so don't jump in to that conclusion so easily

Because of T7? Probably not but say you want to play rocket league with your friends the likelhood that they own a PS4 is greater simply because of the install base. That avalanche effect of the consoles will be less pronounced. Not sure what you are saying about that last paragraph. They made an active effort for crossplay last gen. Integrated with steamworks and everything as well as their own platforms. Their SOE games released on multiple platforms with crossplay too. What active effort have we seen this gen exactly outside of win10/xbox? What effort is beyond last gen or even this gen?

Head.spawn

Because of T7? Probably not but say you want to play rocket league with your friends the likelhood that they own a PS4 is greater simply because of the install base. That avalanche effect of the consoles will be less pronounced. Not sure what you are saying about that last paragraph. They made an active effort for crossplay last gen. Integrated with steamworks and everything as well as their own platforms. Their SOE games released on multiple platforms with crossplay too. What active effort have we seen this gen exactly outside of win10/xbox? What effort is beyond last gen or even this gen?

Does that not count or something?

We are discussing cross network play here between different consoles. The PC to Console is a complete aside... Sony's leniency with PC-Console crossplay dealings clearly has no merit on how they're handling or feel about Console-Console crossplay. Their effort in the past has no bearings here or else this would've been a non-issue and Rocket League crossplay would've been given the greenlight and put up "within hours" the day they finished the functionality.

Talax

As much as I want this to happen, I don't think Sony cares enough to implement it. I mean if I don't get to play with XB1 users, I'll just play with the ones on PS4. Neither the dev nor Sony loses me in that case. And at this point of the console's lifecycle, it's not gonna be just me. On the other hand, closing off XB1 players from the PS install base might force them to switch to PS4 if the community end up being small on XB1. I feel like people are overestimating the negative goodwill that Sony might get from saying no to this. At the end of the day, it's only forum users discussing this which is probably a negligible minority for them.

shoreu

They could have but you have to consider that for majority of the X360 era MS don't support cross-play then with XB1 they allowed cross-play between Win10 store games/Xbox before becoming "Open" to close back so you can see why they might not have being thinking about anything before hand. Also am not 100% but they may also need to consider MS's policies meaning making predictions would have been pointless.

It's not that they are have been "championing" cross-play but they haven't been opposed to it for a while as seen by the PS3/PS4/PC, PS4/PC and PS3/PC games we have so far.

Now i'm certain this is a part of it but they aren't saying anything other than "We have always been open to it"

That makes them seem like they did "champion" the issue at one point

You quoted me, but I reacted the same way toward Sony's refusal :")

shoreu

What's so curious about it? It was stupid for a smaller community refuse to join a bigger community. It was equality stupid to give up a major advantage to your direct competition on business stand point.

but see many in that thread are mad at the lack of policy for the games sake as well as their own fun.

you as a consumer should give no fucks about the company's position on something like this.

and some using it as a valid excuse not to vie for it is lame. Because if Ms was denying this they would certainly shit talk
as they should

mcrommert

Banned

The mental gymnastics you are doing are impresive

Top Bottom