• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Dev on X1 & PS4 Cross-Play "Please ask Sony"

Why do people really want this? What's the point of having cross system servers? Do you really think you would be able to group up with your friends and voice chat with them even if Sony gave the okay?

I really don't get the obsession over this lately. If you're in a situation where you're friends have a different system then enabling cross play won't be the magic fix to bringing you together.

It's not about playing with friends, it's about non-AAA games with small and continually dwindling communities coming together to make bigger ones so that you might actually be able to find a game. What about that's hard to comprehend?

If there was any proof needed that GAF leans far Sony, this thread is certainly it.

If Sony stays with their no answer I hope PC and XB1 get crossplay at least.

cheesekao

If there was any proof needed that GAF leans far Sony, this thread is certainly it.

Let's not be presumptuous here. They have yet to flat out say no to the devs who requested for Xbox and PS crossplay.

CamHostage

Still a bit of a dick move, though.

I don't know if it's a dick move so much as a non-move. Nobody expected Microsoft to ever bend on the cross-platform issue, and when they suddenly did, Sony had no market research or plans or insight on the matter that they're suddenly the bad guy on. Plus, of course, as the market leader it's not in their better interest to make the move right now (and BTW, not only would cross-play be a plus for Xbox, it's also conceivably be helpful for Microsoft's Win10 gambit against Steam and other PC gaming providers.) It hurts us gamers, but it's probably the wise move to not jump into the fight until well equipped.

But also, on Sony's side, Microsoft doesn't seem to be saying how to do cross-console or what it means that they're open to allowing it (what's the matchmaking like? will any party or friend features become available via either console's player database APIs? will XBL cross-play features between Xbox and PC also be open for use where compatible on PS4?), they're just saying, "go ahead, knock yourself out." (We actually know that the answer is "no" so far to some of those questions based on previous cross-play between PC/mobile and either console.) Rocket League's Psyonix has its own service solution in place, but they haven't exactly talked about what that would look like if it happened or what they could or could not use from the XBL toolkit in linking the consoles. PC-to-PS4 cross-play in Rocket League has complaints about restrictions (I assume PC-to-Xbox has the same simple-matching-only?), it generally sounds like PS4-to-Xbox would be similarly rudimentary. I worry that if the walls broke down, both companies would fall into a blame battle over who left the most shackles on. And gamers looking at this opening move from Microsoft as a doorway to cross-platform CoD or Overwatch might not be expecting what few doors they'll find open to them on the other side if even either console allows cross-play to go that far.

People kept blaming MS, but it seems like it's all on sony now

MS seems to want it simply because they are in a poorer position, but it's too bad Sony wont be benevolent about this, despite allowing PC play

I guess Sony would rather starve MS out than provide them with a larger community

Son Of D

Because the PC is not a competitor platform for them, easy and simple.

But what if people buy the game on PC instead of PS4? Sony will lose the royalties from the sales. Instead of people wanting to buy a PS4 to play certain multiplayer games with their friends they can just play via cross-play on their PC.

cheesekao

But what if people buy the game on PC instead of PS4? Sony will lose the royalties from the sales. Instead of people wanting to buy a PS4 to play certain multiplayer games with their friends they can just play via cross-play on their PC.
I'm sorry that I can't provide a link since it's been a while but I'm pretty confident that Adam Boyes once said that while there is an overlap between PC and PS4, the overlap is not as big as some people think it is or whatever in response to cross-play or something. I might be wrong though so take it with a grain of salt.

MacTag

Banned
If you think that not answering or not yet giving an answer is an answer then okay man.
Refusing to answer is pretty good way of saying no without saying no. That said the Rocket League story just broke several weeks back so it's likely still a bit premature to expect Sony to have worked everything out for confirmation yet. Although the more developers who apply pressure the better and now it seems like major publishers are joining in.

I wonder if we'll hear the FFXIV issue revisted now that Microsoft is open to crossplatform online with other consoles?

Outrun

Pretty much confirms Sony is the decision-maker to implement cross-play for Tekken 7 and strongly implied that this is what the Tekken devs want. A shame Sony holding back innovative features, really.

This is it.

But the amount of gymnastics going on to discount this idea is stunning.

Unless you own shares in Sony, I don't see how this is a bad thing for gamers in 2016.

Heck, even if you own shares, this could be a great thing for the market leader.

cheesekao

Refusing to answer is pretty good way of saying no without saying no. That said the Rocket League story just broke several weeks back so it's likely still a bit premature to expect Sony to have worked everything out for confirmation yet. Although the more developers who apply pressure the better.

I wonder if we'll hear the FFXIV issue revisted now that Microsoft is open to crossplatform online with other consoles?
We can have two situations here.
1. A teacher asks a student to answer a question and the student keeps quiet. The student is more than likely not able to come up with an answer.
2. A teacher asks the class a question. Nobody answers because they either don't know but they also just can't be bothered to answer.

In some cases, it's pretty obvious like in case 1. Now you can't really apply the examples above to Psyonix asking Sony for permission because it's far more complicated than that.

enemy2k

Pretty much confirms Sony is the decision-maker to implement cross-play for Tekken 7 and strongly implied that this is what the Tekken devs want. A shame Sony holding back innovative features, really.
Yup, agreed. 3 different developers have now said its up to Sony.

1. A teacher asks a student to answer a question and the student keeps quiet. The student is more than likely not able to come up with an answer.
2. A teacher asks the class a question. Nobody answers because they either don't know but they also just can't be bothered to answer.

In some cases, it's pretty obvious like in case 1. Now you can't really apply the examples above to Psyonix asking Sony for permission because it's far more complicated than that.

What's complicated? If the answer wasn't no, they would have silenced any bad press by just saying "We're working on it, give us time." Yet here we are and another dev is saying that Sony is holding them back, and they still haven't said anything.

That's vague. I'm talking about MS publicly stating they want cross play, specifically saying Sony or PSN.

Now you're just in denial.

mcrommert

Banned
Microsoft opened up Xbox Live for all developers to create a cross play environment this year. No permission needed other than build it into your game.

Lol...how many devs will have to come out and say everything is waiting on Sony before the apologists believe...by my count we are at 3 now

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Lol MS said they support it. PR 101. Neither care in reality.

Yudoken

Even Sony says no Bandai can do PC & PS4 and X1 & PC cross-play separately.

Of course, but uniting the community is way more important.
This is an step to unify all platforms no matter where you play.
More players = more possible connections (near you) and skill levels = better game.

That's vague. I'm talking about MS publicly stating they want cross play, specifically saying Sony or PSN.
Jesus. No company is going to name drop a competitor unless that competitor shows any kind of interest. Mentioning "other consoles" was not vague because at last count there were two.

Two other platform holders.

Sony are purposely avoiding this open invitation and won't acknowledge that.

Wheatly

Of the thousands of competing businesses out there, I can't think one of that has openly let a competitor capitalize off their larger customer base.

I don't get the people who criticize Sony for not allowing this

Outrun

But the bigger question is why would Sony do it? It would just reduce console sales than help.

If I was gonna buy a Neo for Horizon, how does xplay diminish this want?

Xplay is about uniting gamers and benefiting titles through larger mp pool creation.

jaypah

Lol MS said they support it. PR 101. Neither care in reality.

Devs seem to care and also seem to think Sony is the holdup. I don't understand why this is being dismissed or down played. Well, I have an idea why but still, this is kind of ridiculous.

But the bigger question is why would Sony do it? It would just reduce potential console sales than help.
Lol how? It just means the people who play have a chance at matching up randomly with other platforms. For a start there's no unified friend list so it can't be anything other than random.

Secondly people will always but the console they want. Having a bigger player base (your install AND everyone else's) is gravy and biscuits.

jaypah

Of the thousands of competing businesses out there, I can't think one of that has openly let a competitor capitalize off their larger customer base.

I don't get the people who criticize Sony for not allowing this

Because MS was against it and rightfully got shitted on? Now Sony seems to be the temporary hold up and should also get questioned? If they never said they were with it I'd understand but they said they were super open to it and now devs are saying Sony is the hold up. I don't own an XB1 (PC, PS4, WiiU) but it seems pretty cut and dry.

MacTag

Banned

Right, this is a policy question. The classroom comparison doesn't make much sense, especially as in this case Sony would be in the position of authority (ie: the teacher).

My guess is Sony would prefer to block it (and have in the past with Nintendo btw) as it complicates networking and strategically might disadvantage more than benefit them, but there's now public pressure mounting with publishers/press and blocking it might damage the gamer focused image they're promoting. I feel like their eventual answer will depend on a lot of factors but if it's a no it'll be dragged out as long as possible or maybe not even ever answered directly.

wapplew

Lol how? It just means the people who play have a chance at matching up randomly with other platforms. For a start there's no unified friend list so it can't be anything other than random.

Secondly people will always but the console they want. Having a bigger player base (your install AND everyone else's) is gravy and biscuits.

Not if you live in Asia or Australia or any place with small player base to begin with.
People only buy the console with heathy player pool, that's like one of the most important deciding factor. Who ever have that will win that region by default.
No one going to give up that advantages just to score some PR points, or for the players.

Paracelsus

Because MS was against it and rightfully got shitted on? Now Sony seems to be the temporary hold up and should also get questioned? If they never said they were with it I'd understand but they said they were super open to it and now devs are saying Sony is the hold up. I don't own an XB1 (PC, PS4, WiiU) but it seems pretty cut and dry.

Microsoft is open to it now that they're being torn apart by competition, FFXIV on PS4-PC happened because Microsoft was refusing cross-platform.

daman824

Refusing to answer is pretty good way of saying no without saying no. That said the Rocket League story just broke several weeks back so it's likely still a bit premature to expect Sony to have worked everything out for confirmation yet. Although the more developers who apply pressure the better and now it seems like major publishers are joining in.

The rocket league story really broke 5 months ago when MS announced PC cross play and said they were open to other platforms.

The rocket league devs just recently said Sony has yet to approve anything

Wheatly

Sony said quote "We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Here we have these Tekken dev's asking the public to go talk to Sony - with no indication that they have initiated anything with them.

I mean, this is shallow news to go on. But even with Sony's statement, there was no guarantee that they'd simply allow it for everything

MS, Sony, whoever - shouldn't be villanized if they don't want to do it

jaypah

Sony said quote "We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Here we have these Tekken dev's asking the public to go talk to Sony - with no indication that they have initiated anything with them.

I mean, this is shallow news to go on. But even with Sony's statement, there was no guarantee that they'd simply allow it for everything

Oh, ok.

Microsoft is open to it now that they're being torn apart by competition, FFXIV on PS4-PC happened because Microsoft was refusing cross-platform.

Sounds like they are open to it now. Or at least for the 3 games that devs are now waiting on Sony to OK.

etta

my hard graphic balls

I will definetely use this thread when they claim persecution complex and other bullshit.
But then again those type of people aren't even worth the time.

You're purposely being obtuse. You really think "Talk to Sony" means they want the customers to do it from them? I'm sure they have talked to Sony, and didn't get a satisfactory response, and so now they want the consumers to put them over the fire.

And we are all well within our rights to villainize Sony or MS for allowing it. MS were being dicks before, but seem to be cool now, and Sony has been beating the cross platform drum for years now, yet now they seem to have their lip sealed.

Kayant

Lol...how many devs will have to come out and say everything is waiting on Sony before the apologists believe...by my count we are at 3 now
It's not always that clear because 2 games aren't adding XB1 for cross-play because of MS's policies. People are being a bit antsy here Psyonix believe they are working on it and are confident it will happen with time.
Jesus. No company is going to name drop a competitor unless that competitor shows any kind of interest. Mentioning "other consoles" was not vague because at last count there were two.

Two other platform holders.

Sony are purposely avoiding this open invitation and won't acknowledge that.
They have

Head.spawn

Considering there are no other console networks they could possibly be referring to, other than Sony... this is down to purely deductive reasoning. And when your deductive reasoning only allows for one other possible answer, it is anything but "vague".

There are people who choose their console because of the biggest player base or because what console their friends own.

With this it wouldnt matter anymore and reduce potential sales.

MacTag

Banned
Nintendo's also open to cross-platform online and I believe are the only console maker who've allowed it with Android and iOS so far.

If an NX port of Tekken 7 materializes it'd be interesting if the Xbox One, NX and PC versions featured cross-platform online while the PS4 version was on it's own.

Top Bottom