• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

It's true, though. Try running into a jump and then go morph ball in mid-air. You immediately lose all horizontal movement and start falling - there's no conservation of momentum which is like the ultimate sin of a platforming physics engine as far as I'm concerned. It's like a toothache to my brain.

I agree Super is slightly too floaty (although in a way I always thought of it as Zebes have lower gravity than Earth), but it's still better than Fusion's dead air. As far as I'm concerned, the best physics in a 2D Metroid game is actually from a fan-game - Super Metroid Redesign, a Super Metroid hack. It keeps the speed of Fusion with the momentum of Super; I can't tell you how fantastic Samus feels in that game. Well worth playing.

Pretty sure I had my momentum kept when using the morph ball button in the air

Edit: Yup, even made a quick youtube video

Instro

Heresy. ZM/Fusions physics > Samus made of helium Super Metroid

Personally the physics in the newer 2D games never really made sense to me. The jump mechanics seem overly rigid for a series that isn't really about extremely tight platforming challenges. Floaty jumps with more control in the air are pretty conducive to exploration and abusing stuff like wall jumps, grapple beam, etc.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Oof. There's another shinespark barrier in the industrial complex. It's on a ceiling in a vertical room where you fight a Metroid, it's directly right of the sand filled room with the spiky red shelled turtle things. I don't have the foggiest notion on how to get this one.

Edit: Actually, I think I can nail it if I time my jump right. Let's see if this works.

Edit twice: NAILED IT!

Chaper

Neo Member
Hi. Anyone knows how to play with the Xbone controller using the Dpad? It only works with the analog stick. I looked the settings and didn't find anything.

Eyothrie

Tips to get past this? I definitely don't have enough room to speed boost past this, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

J4j9qpr.png

NTXoG55.png

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Tips to get past this? I definitely don't have enough room to speed boost past this, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

J4j9qpr.png

NTXoG55.png

Not sure. But you see the item in the dark blue corridors? The one juuuuust left of the Savepoint leading into the industrial complex with all the sand? How do you get? This one is stumping me.

Psxphile

Not sure. But you see the item in the dark blue corridors? The one juuuuust left of the Savepoint leading into the industrial complex with all the sand? How do you get? This one is stumping me.

If I remember right there's a false ceiling in those tunnels. Use Spiderball and you should go up into it. That one stumped me for a bit too.

J4j9qpr.png

NTXoG55.png
I can't make out where you are on the map. Is it the hallway with the four arrows that indicates the marker? Anyway, I haven't gone back there since I got the Power Bombs but... you know, it's entirely possible that some passages are one-way only. Maybe you're not meant to go in, but come out from somewhere else? This happens quite a few times in Metroid games.

Well, in any case I don't remember ever going in there.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
If I remember right there's a false ceiling in those tunnels. Use Spiderball and you should go up into it. That one stumped me for a bit too.

Thank you friend, I'll try this right away.

aaaaand got. Thanks! Didn't even need the spider ball since I already have bouncy ball.

Kansoku

There's two places I've found already that there is Shinespark blocks in areas where you don't have place to run. The one Eyothrie posted and one in the dark breeding area in the same region:

1YvPdbE.png

Defect

Hi. Anyone knows how to play with the Xbone controller using the Dpad? It only works with the analog stick. I looked the settings and didn't find anything.
I didn't have to change any settings with mine. I just plugged it in and it works.

TheMoon

Don't have Shinespark yet but for you guys with weird Shinespark areas: have you tried storing the SP from a previous room?

Psxphile

There's two places I've found already that there is Shinespark blocks in areas where you don't have place to run. The one Eyothrie posted and one in the dark breeding area in the same region:

1YvPdbE.png

2nd image seems to stump a lot of people. Since you're already in that little space then the next step is easy: hop back above where there's ample room and charge up a Shinespark. Then drop down and immediately launch yourself at the wall on the right.

Check the last two pages for the webm that shows you how to do the shinespark if you've never done it before.

Okay, I was NOT expecting what happened at the Power Plant.

Wow.
That Samus is a menace. Something needs to be done about her!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Use the morph ball button, it's much better and quicker than the traditional 2 down presses.

Huh, works with a morph ball button. Thanks!

Still prefer Super Metroid's physics, though. :p

Woke up this morning, finished off the rest of the game, came in at 5:25:01.

Said fuck that, and speedran the game right after, this time, cutting it down to a little over 2:46

Fan-fucking-tastic game. I think I actually prefer it to Zero Mission. The pacing's great (This is something important for Metroid games in general), the new additions were great and didn't feel out of place at all, and it did all this while maintaining the atmosphere of the original game. (One of Zero Mission's bigger failings, IMO)

Gonna probably do a Hard Mode run at some point. Even though it's unofficial, it might just be my favorite Metroid game behind Super and Prime 1.

Love the bit of Super Metroid's opening narration at the end along with the "To be Continued" bit.
I love little continuity details like that.

Kansoku

2nd image seems to stump a lot of people. Since you're already in that little space then the next step is easy: hop back above where there's ample room and charge up a Shinespark. Then drop down and immediately launch yourself at the wall on the right.

*facepalm*

I didn't clear the space above completely, so i didn't see you could charge the shinespark there. Thanks.

EDIT:
You have have speed boost coming into the room.

Oh shit, I got it. Thanks.
To be more specific:
Select the Power Bomb, open the door. To the left there's a floating platform. Run trough it, charge the Shinespark, drop a little and use it to enter the room. Charge it again immediately when you land on the slope. Drop down, use the powerbomb, use the Shinespark.

Okay, I was NOT expecting what happened at the Power Plant.

Wow.

Caught me by surprise, too.
By far the most amazing part of the game for me currently.

Btw, one thing I REALLY didn't like was at the part with
the mining robot thing that comes to a halt at a green crystal. I was stuck there and didn't know what to do for an hour or so, until I bombed the floor out of boredom and a hole broke open. It was just one specific tile that's not even marked with a crack or something.

A 360 controller is really bad for this, so I think i'm going to order an SNES USB or BT controller instead. I guess I could also do a PS4 controller.

3DShovel

Strange to see people shit on Super's physics in this thread. SM by far has the best physics in a Metroid game. You just have to watch a speed run to see how the physics benefit the gameplay.

I think a lot of people are confusing physics vs their capacity to control Samus within them. SM plays like a dream.

Anywho, I really can't wait to jump into this. It's been way too long since Nintendo gave us a 2D Metroid. Glad to hear this is quenching thirst across the board!

Strange to see people shit on Super's physics in this thread. SM by far has the best physics in a Metroid game. You just have to watch a speed run to see how the physics benefit the gameplay.

I think a lot of people are confusing physics vs their capacity to control Samus within them. SM plays like a dream.

Anywho, I really can't wait to jump into this. It's been way too long since Nintendo gave us a 2D Metroid. Glad to hear this is quenching thirst across the board!

Nah, I'm fully aware of how SM works. I prefer faster. tighter, snappier physics than huge vertical jumps with huge momentum.

You remember right, but the rules have changed here: since weapons stack and Ice Beam is basically the Best, you get it last!

EDIT: COME ON, top of the page, AGAIN? ugh! Sorry about that! EDIT: here's something that's (I hope) useful to compensate:

(spoilered for those who don't want to see) It's the map I had by the end of the game, missing the top left portion of course since I didn't go back to save after the last boss/exploration section. It clearly doesn't have everything/all the items, but still, if it helps anyone, good!
How the heck did you get the item in the top right (in the room that required the energy sphere in the Golden Temple?) I got stuck there.

Big Nikus

How? I can't get mine to work. Crashes every time. Ran the setup, chose DX9, it copies the files, but won't start..always a crash.

DId it create a SweetFX folder where the game is installed ? There a file called SweetFX_settings.txt in it and you may have to tinker with it. Make sure the value on the #define USE_ADVANCED_CRT line is set to 1 (or the Pixel_Art CRT line if you prefer).

I downloaded that just to play this. I'm close to getting the pixels right but they still seem to be off. Theres still a bit of stretch here and there that makes the text look bad and screws with the look of the game a bit. The pixel art for the game is running at 240x160 isn't it?

I don't know for sure. Here's the settings I use, if it helps:

It took a bit of tinkering, changing some values just to see if it improved the visuals (I'm not too familiar with this stuff). At first the text looked bad for me too, and I think you have to increase the CRT Resolution just a bit.

I'm gonna decrease the curve value a bit cuz it may be a bit too curvy right now. I kinda like it like this though, my old CRT was almost a balloon.

dang yall this game is sick. the art. the controls. the sound design! that metallic explosion when u shoot one of those eyed wall turrets sooooo sick. so satisfying. the music is really nice too.

if this team made a Castlevania game i would lose it!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How on earth do you do this room with all the dash bits?
sPXxIVH.jpg

I've tried saving the shinespark and dropping down into the pit, but... I don't get it :S

TheMoon

dang yall this game is sick. the art. the controls. the sound design! that metallic explosion when u shoot one of those eyed wall turrets sooooo sick. so satisfying. the music is really nice too.

if this team made a Castlevania game i would lose it!

I think you need to remember that this is a remake of a game that already exists. Not an original game designed by them.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So, I just 100%ed the game, except beating the Mother. Damn she is hard. She keeps killing me
in the 3rd phase

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I'm fully aware of how SM works. I prefer faster. tighter, snappier physics than huge vertical jumps with huge momentum.

Fusion does not have momentum, at all, except coming out of a run. In Fusion, jump in the air from a standing start, then press left. You will immediately go from zero horizontal speed to Samus' max horizontal speed from a standing jump - the acceleration is instantaneous. Conversely, go from standing jump to hold left to switching to hold right. Samus will immediately go from full speed left to full speed right without having any need to decelerate in one direction into accelerating into the other. It's really noticeable and I've known a lot of people to complain about it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I think the only thing missing so far for me is this:
KE2NFPU.png

anyone knows how to get it?
Go the way you take when you are getting the varia upgrade, the room just before, right after the waterpipe secrion, there is a bombable rock very high up through which you can get into this maze area.

Fusion does not have momentum, at all, except coming out of a run. In Fusion, jump in the air from a standing start, then press left. You will immediately go from zero horizontal speed to Samus' max horizontal speed from a standing jump - the acceleration is instantaneous. Conversely, go from standing jump to hold left to switching to hold right. Samus will immediately go from full speed left to full speed right without having any need to decelerate in one direction into accelerating into the other. It's really noticeable and I've known a lot of people to complain about it.

I'm not saying Fusion have momentum, perhaps you right my post wrong, the "huge vertical jumps with huge momentum" was in reference to SM

VariantX

I just realized I went through a huge chunk of the game without the wave beam... A lot of shit was way harder than it needed to be without it. Literally mowing everything down in my path now that I added it to the beam stack.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying Fusion have momentum, perhaps you right my post wrong, the "huge vertical jumps with huge momentum" was in reference to SM

Ah, sorry, I misread.

I do encourage you to try playing Super Metroid Redesign, though. Best of both worlds!

How on earth do you do this room with all the dash bits?
sPXxIVH.jpg

I've tried saving the shinespark and dropping down into the pit, but... I don't get it :S
I managed to make it past the first two sets of speed dash walls when you jump down, but then I'm stuck where you need to use a dash in a morph ball space...

EDIT: Okay, I saw the gif above...How are you maintaining the shine spark after doing a dash!? It looks like I had the right idea at the end, though, but I always just got hit the wall and not have the ball follow the windy part before.

Pehesse

Wait wut. Am I missing an upgrade that lets you keep shinespark?

I did a post+gfy explaining the shinespark mechanics about two pages back!

There it is, with the gfy explaining it all:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=212741637

And an addendum to that post: you can hold down Jump longer to gain a bit more height before Shinesparking. In the tunnel in which you need to ballspark however you want to keep as low as you can to hit the slope, not the ceiling!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I managed to make it past the first two sets of speed dash walls when you jump down, but then I'm stuck where you need to use a dash in a morph ball space...

Yeah same. I get within a mm with charge still on but... not enough.

cireza

I just completed the game. It was fantastic and felt like a real Metroid episode from the beginning to the end.

Creating such a remake is a very impressive accomplishment.

I think you need to remember that this is a remake of a game that already exists. Not an original game designed by them.

who cares if it is a remake. Metroid itself was a re-imagining of Alien and a bunch of sci fi stuff. all art is influenced by something that came before it. the team behind AM2R are virtuosos in the field of making games.

compare this to Metroid II. this basically is an original game.

lol i played the original on Gameboy back when you couldn't even SEE Super Mario Land without holding it at the exact perfect angle if the sun was out. i remember not being able to see outside of a very tiny window, making it easy to get lost simply jumping from one ledge to the next. not to mention the lack of a map?

i remember beating that game but also that it was very frustrating at times. this plays like a dream. plus it has a million little details that ARE unique to this specific remake. things like hanging off ledges. not having to even DO anything to save the game if u want to just jump on the pedestal and wait a half a second.

Pehesse

EDIT: Okay, I saw the gif above...How are you maintaining the shine spark after doing a dash!? It looks like I had the right idea at the end, though, but I always just got hit the wall and not have the ball follow the windy part before.

Hit right immediately after hitting (not holding) jump and that should do the trick!

Ourobolus

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to activate the stones that normally require those electric balls?
Someone posted one of the areas before:

There's no electric ball there, nor is there a way that I can tell to get into the area where the mechanism is.

Top Bottom