• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll and Funimation to begin partnership - CR focus on subs, Funi on dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/09/08/crunchyroll-and-funimation-partner-to-expand-access-to-anime

Starting today, Crunchyroll viewers will have access to subtitled versions of Funimation’s summer simulcast titles, including D.Gray Man HALLOW, FIRST LOVE MONSTER and Puzzle & Dragons X. And in the weeks to come, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of Crunchyroll’s summer titles, including 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100 and Orange, with release schedules to be announced. Both companies will also work together to bring the best in subtitled and Broadcast Dubs titles for future seasons to come.

Additionally, a selection of catalog titles, such as Cowboy Bebop, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, and PSYCHO-PASS from FunimationNow will be available on Crunchyroll today, and Free! -Iwatobi Swim Club and The Testament of Sister New Devil from Crunchyroll will be available on FunimationNow, Funimation’s new streaming service, in the coming weeks.

And further, Funimation will now distribute Crunchyroll’s titles through home video and a variety of EST outlets, with both dubbed and subtitled versions together. Currently planned titles include Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and ReLIFE, with more to be announced in the future.

Says Kun Gao, Founder and GM of Crunchyroll on this auspicious occasion, “Funimation shares our passion of bringing amazing content to viewers. This partnership will allow Crunchyroll to continue making the best subtitled simulcast experience for all fans. Anime is a lifestyle experience shared by millions, and we look forward to new ways to delight fans together.”

This is pretty big.

inner-G

Banned
Wow, if they get it right, that could be huge.

Would love a big streaming library with all of their old/new stuff combined or something

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Will the subtitles be redone for those crunchy shows Funi releases? Because they definitely aren't the best.

Mortemis

Banned
This is really great news for fans. It always sucked needing multiple subs to watch all your shows, I never watched enough to do so but for those who do this will be great.

Having to wait to see who picks up your anticipated shows before the new season sucks too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think they realized that they were cannibalizing each other and it just made more sense to work with each other.

Of course this still leaves Sentai doing their own thing, but they only get like a couple of shows per season for TAN.

Wow thats fantastic now any show crunchy gets I have a solid chance to be able to buy a quality dubbed blu ray at a reasonable price ^o^

zabuni

I have to wonder what precipitated this. Crunchyroll was on the cusp of getting into the physical release game. I wonder if Funimation is trying to head off a potential rival. If you can beat them, join them.

Galang

Banned
This is an absolutely amazing idea. I prefer Crunchyroll due to the selection, but Funimation due to the dubs... If they both team up it could be perfect.

This is really good stuff.

I'm still surprised and happy that Crunchyroll made it big, I remember when they weren't legit haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to wonder what precipitated this. Crunchyroll was on the cusp of getting into the physical release game. I wonder if Funimation is trying to head off a potential rival. If you can beat them, join them.
I think they realized that they were driving up the cost of licensing by competing with each other, and this is a problem when the margins are probably so small in the first place (and Funimation's primary advantage, simuldubs, presumably cost way more than CR hiring Japanese language students and former fansubbers to speedsub their shows)

From this comment:

Fukunaga also stated about the reason behind the partnership, "The problem is, the market was fragmenting up a bit – you had other players coming in, [like] Amazon [and] Hulu ... The issue with some of those big players is that they're maybe not as concerned with the fan experience as Crunchyroll and Funimation." He added, "working together ... [Funimation and Crunchyroll] can provide a better experience ... that really works for the fans."

it sounds like both companies are concerned about larger media companies such as Amazon and Netflix throwing their weight around in the anime industry, and so want to cooperate in order to better handle that competition.

Linkark07

Banned
Great, there have been many shows licensed by Funi that I have wanted to see.

Annoying that this isn't available outside the US and Canada though.

KHlover

Banned
Wonder how much (if any) of that funi stuff makes it to Germany. You guys have it so good over in the US. One Piece on funimation AND crunchyroll. Meanwhile German legal streaming options...nada :(

Clov

Very interesting news! With Fumimation doing the distribution for Crunchyroll's physical titles, I hope that someone else is handling the disc authoring. Fumimation handling that would be unfortunate.

Calvero

Banned
Man I can't believe how CrunchyRoll has grown over the last decade. I remember first using it in 2008 and just meeting random people in those open community chats they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom