• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll and Funimation to begin partnership - CR focus on subs, Funi on dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great I hope Dangan Ronpa shows up on CR soon and I guess that means the new season of my hero academia will be on CR as well.

CR and Funi's licensing out of the US is pretty bad. Hopefully they can start fixing that.

Even in the US its weird, sometimes shows like Dagashi Kashi or Love Live Sunshine won't be on US CR but its on it for like, North Africa. LLS is weird because Love Live s1/s2 are available. I dunno what thats about.

At least I see CR going for the Dragon Ball license outside America. DB is still huge.

Clov

Did they say they were done? I mean they've set themselves up as a boutique company anyway and only do a few releases a year.

Yeah, I assume Sunshine is gone. But I know Love Live did really well for NISA.

It did, but it's been quite some time since they licensed anything, especially something outside of Love Live. If they were still active, I'd expect for us to have heard news of Yuruyuri S3's release, but they've just been silent. It's safe to say that they're out of the game at this point.

Strimei

Does concerned about fan experience mean making $400 blurays?

FUNimation's releases are typically among the most reasonably priced out there (though really new stuff tends to be in the $60-70 range, but that's still fair compared to others).

$400 blu-rays, you're looking at Aniplex of America and PONY CANYON, not FUNimation.

tumblr_m8d04iURZg1ryf7dio1_500.gif

ugh, crunchyroll subs

deadly queen lives on

That's not CR's fault either. They are just using the VIZ names. Do you really want them to mess with the sue happy music industry?

Deadly Queen is Killer Queen's official name in the U.S., but its just doublethink. Everyone knows its Killer Queen, and nobody calls it Deadly Queen.

It did, but it's been quite some time since they licensed anything, especially something outside of Love Live. If they were still active, I'd expect for us to have heard news of Yuruyuri S3's release, but they've just been silent. It's safe to say that they're out of the game at this point.

B-But they still need to release Chronicles of the Going Home Club ;_;

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Anyone have an idea of what the split is between people who typically watch subs vs dubs? I'd have to think that the dub population is smaller, and making dubs is definitely more expensive, seems like a tough business to be in.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Strimei

Anyone have an idea of what the split is between people who typically watch subs vs dubs? I'd have to think that the dub population is smaller, and making dubs is definitely more expensive, seems like a tough business to be in.

I imagine there are actually a very large audience for dubs. FUNimation, at least, found it profitable enough to make a broadcast dub for simulcasts, after all. They started with just one or two as an experiment and now they do it for almost everything they simulcast.

So clearly they're making money that way.

Dragun619

Aw shit, Cowboy Bebop. Good stuff CR.

Guess I'll causally watch an episode from time to time, haha.

Now, Can we get some Dragon Ball?

jax

Banned
And still no sign of Dragonball Super. The only anime that would even make the service worth it. Sigh.

Companies must hate money I guess.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Have a sub for both but only watch subs so guess can drop my funi sub next year.

Strimei

And still no sign of Dragonball Super. The only anime that would even make the service worth it. Sigh.

I vaguely recall hearing rumbling that Toei may be doing it themselves.

I have to imagine that FUNimation would have loved to have had it out by now.

Its not that they hate money. At this point its on Toei because you can be sure as shit Funi wants it. Toei may think they can get a way bigger get then Funimation with the Dragon Ball name, but I don't know what they're doing.

jbug617

Banned
I wonder how much they drove the price up of big shounen shows and otaku shows like Love Live.

I just realized, but I wonder how this affects NISA... if the end result is that all future licenses will be shared between the two companies, I would assume that Funimation would also get all the home video rights as well. NISA is basically left with the shows that no one wants.
NISA releases were always on point. They will be missed if they are out of the game

jax

Banned
Its not that they hate money. At this point its on Toei because you can be sure as shit Funi wants it. Toei may think they can get a way bigger get then Funimation with the Dragon Ball name, but I don't know what they're doing.

I vaguely recall hearing rumbling that Toei may be doing it themselves.

I have to imagine that FUNimation would have loved to have had it out by now.
Sure seems like they hate money. The blu rays don't even have an official English sub. They just want people to resort to YouTube or sketchy shit instead of paying them in some way.

Sure seems like they hate money. The blu rays don't even have an official English sub. They just want people to resort to YouTube or sketchy shit instead of paying them in some way.

If you're operating under the idea that Toei somehow hates money and doesn't know that DB is large worldwide then it doesn't really take a lot of proof to dismantle why that idea is not structurally sound.

bman94

Holy shit that's nice. NOW GIVE ME DRAGON BALL SUPER LEGALLY FUNIMATION. I'm trying my best to stay away from sites illegally uploading the episodes to watch but damn through me a bone. It's been a damn year now, at least give us the subs legally.

ZiZ

What are the chances Crunchyroll will get Dragon Ball?

I'me subscribed to both, but I prefer crunchyroll because of the android app and a better web player.

Ray Down

Banned
Holy shit that's nice. NOW GIVE ME DRAGON BALL SUPER LEGALLY FUNIMATION. I'm trying my best to stay away from sites illegally uploading the episodes to watch but damn through me a bone. It's been a damn year now, at least give us the subs legally.

Toei wants the cash from Funi so the are holding out to get more, really the only resonable explanation on the silence.

sonicmj1

Guess they were scared straight by Amazon/Netflix coming in to steal their lunch.

They tell Anime News Network as much:

Fukunaga also stated about the reason behind the partnership, "The problem is, the market was fragmenting up a bit – you had other players coming in, [like] Amazon [and] Hulu ... The issue with some of those big players is that they're maybe not as concerned with the fan experience as Crunchyroll and Funimation." He added, "working together ... [Funimation and Crunchyroll] can provide a better experience ... that really works for the fans."

convo

That's not CR's fault either. They are just using the VIZ names. Do you really want them to mess with the sue happy music industry?

Deadly Queen is Killer Queen's official name in the U.S., but its just doublethink. Everyone knows its Killer Queen, and nobody calls it Deadly Queen.

People need to understand that Jojo won't get away with calling a stand Marilyn Manson or Metallica in the USA.

People need to understand that Jojo won't get away with calling a stand Marilyn Manson or Metallica in the USA.

And it's not even like you can't tell because the JP VO calls the god damn stand Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen and Bad Company anyway.

convo

And it's not even like you can't tell because the JP VO calls the god damn stand Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen and Bad Company anyway.

We need to live with it, it's not a huge pain to get the real names. If that prevents you to support offical english releases of JoJo then God himself will be dissapointed in people.

Jarmel

Banned
I think thats part of it, but more they realized licensing costs started getting absurd with shows like Kiznaiver and My Hero Academia.

Well those are somewhat linked. It wasn't Crunchyroll that Funimation got into the bidding war over MHA. Netflix has enough money that they shit out more money than Funimation makes in a year and Amazon is coming to play too. This spring made the positions clear in the industry and the upcoming years have Netflix starting to get more directly involved as well. I bet you there's going to be a bid fight over FMP S4 between Netflix and Funimation for example.

Btw Kiznaiver probably wasn't that expensive for CR on a licensing front because they're on the production committee for the show (almost certainly to prevent bidding wars).

I would kill to see how much MHA cost because that was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kaizer

Banned
Maaaan, this is awesome news. It's still crazy to see how far Crunchyroll has come over the years, I still remember using it in the early days before I knew all of the content on there was illegally uploaded. To think they'd go from being a scourge of the industry to one of the top companies providing anime & entering partnerships with Funimation is insane.

Snaku

Banned
Maybe between the two of them they can afford whatever ridiculous price Toei is asking for Dragon Ball Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom