• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll and Funimation to begin partnership - CR focus on subs, Funi on dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at the idea that funimation cares about fan experience. Did they say how the subscriptions will work? I'd like to continue to avoid supporting Rick Santorum.

Yes. This makes me happy. Less confusion for me in the future. Go to Crunchyroll for sub streaming and Funimation for dub streaming. No more remembering which shows are licensed by which company.

This is fantastic...I guess I only need a Crunchy sub now!

Edit: Oh I just realized they don't share Danganronpa yet. Well maybe for the fall season and further there will be heavier crossover.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lol at the idea that funimation cares about fan experience. Did they say how the subscriptions will work? I'd like to continue to avoid supporting Rick Santorum.
I assume you pay CR if you want subs and Funi if you want dubs.

I wonder if there's any revenue sharing or if Funi is banking on there being enough anime fans who want dubs to sustain them.

Kthulhu

Will I have to use funimation's streaming service to access their shows if I'm a Crunchyroll subscriber? I hate funimation's service.

https://twitter.com/Hanners1979/status/773963937016586240

Cr2sGNhWgAEvX1J.jpg

Strimei

I just realized that this is a pretty good alliance in terms of competing against Aniplex, too, since Aniplex isn't really letting FUNi (and other companies, I believe) renew licenses for a lot of their shows (I.e. how FUNi lost both FMAs, Darker than Black, and so forth).

Anyone have an idea of what the split is between people who typically watch subs vs dubs? I'd have to think that the dub population is smaller, and making dubs is definitely more expensive, seems like a tough business to be in.

Kthulhu

I just realized that this is a pretty good alliance in terms of competing against Aniplex, too, since Aniplex isn't really letting FUNi (and other companies, I believe) renew licenses for a lot of their shows (I.e. how FUNi lost both FMAs, Darker than Black, and so forth).

Plus Aniplex charges me out the wazoo for anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone have an idea of what the split is between people who typically watch subs vs dubs? I'd have to think that the dub population is smaller, and making dubs is definitely more expensive, seems like a tough business to be in.
Anecdotally, I know fair number of people who prefer dubs over subs.

Strimei

Plus Aniplex charges me out the wazoo for anything.

That too.

I've shelled out money a few times for some of their stuff, but I hate it, so the more stuff that anyone non-Aniplex can release at more sane prices, the better.

(Well, anyone besides Pony Canyon. They're even more insane than Aniplex, honestly)

Lucreto

I prefer a dub even a bad dub over subs with a Japanese dub 100% of the time. I love Phoenix Wright but can't stand the VA in the anime. I lasted 5 minutes.

Clov

This is also good for Fumimation in that they'll regain access to the 2017 titles by Kadokawa (who had an exclusive deal with Crunchyroll for that year). Even with thier licenses from Aniplex of Japan expiring, they'll still have plenty more to make up for it.

Wanderer5

Think it is time to finally see Psycho-Pass when it comes to CR. Cowboy Bebop rewatch and D.Gray-man Hallow too, but those will probably be in the backburner. Ugh the backlog.XD

I probably will check out Funimation once in a while really, cause while I usually just feel like watching the sub versions, something like 91 Days could be pretty damn sweet with the dub.

marzlapin

Finally I can stop being salty over Funimation snapping up most of the Madhouse show licenses! Oh, and rewatch Bebop.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hmm... I know Aniplex puts a lot of their dubs and releases on Netflix before physical media so this may also have contributed to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think thats part of it, but more they realized licensing costs started getting absurd with shows like Kiznaiver and My Hero Academia.
I wonder how much they drove the price up of big shounen shows and otaku shows like Love Live.

I just realized, but I wonder how this affects NISA... if the end result is that all future licenses will be shared between the two companies, I would assume that Funimation would also get all the home video rights as well. NISA is basically left with the shows that no one wants.

e_i

And in the weeks to come, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of Crunchyroll’s summer titles, including 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100 and Orange, with release schedules to be announced. Both companies will also work together to bring the best in subtitled and Broadcast Dubs titles for future seasons to come.

Mob Psycho is getting a dub? Nice.

I wonder how much they drove the price up of big shounen shows and otaku shows like Love Live.

I just realized, but I wonder how this affects NISA... if the end result is that all future licenses will be shared between the two companies, I would assume that Funimation would also get all the home video rights as well. NISA is basically left with the shows that no one wants.

NISA isn't licensing anything anymore anyway. Their last new acquisition was the Love Live movie.

Clov

NISA no longer seems to be active, and the rising costs of licenses alongside increased competition seem to be why. I expect that Funimation will release the new Love Live on thier own.

I wonder this means that shows that were exclusive to Funimation in the US may arrive to other Crunchyroll regions, or would that need new contracts?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NISA isn't licensing anything anymore anyway. Their last new acquisition was the Love Live movie.
Did they say they were done? I mean they've set themselves up as a boutique company anyway and only do a few releases a year.

NISA no longer seems to be active, and the rising costs of licenses alongside increased competition seem to be why. I expect that Funimation will release the new Love Live on thier own.
Yeah, I assume Sunshine is gone. But I know Love Live did really well for NISA.

I wonder this means that shows that were exclusive to Funimation in the US may arrive to other Crunchyroll regions, or would that need new contracts?

CR and Funi's licensing out of the US is pretty bad. Hopefully they can start fixing that.

Even in the US its weird, sometimes shows like Dagashi Kashi or Love Live Sunshine won't be on US CR but its on it for like, North Africa. LLS is weird because Love Live s1/s2 are available. I dunno what thats about.

This is the big one for me, especially when I've been wanting to rewatch the early parts of One Piece. Living in the UK makes that a bit of a frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom