• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

I have a problem with aiming and moving the camera with the right analog stick. It moves considerably slower to the left, like 50 percent slower at least. This doesn't make the game completely unplayable (probably would on the highest difficulty level) but it's really annoying.

Seems like it's a software issue. Why else would the right analog stick work perfectly normal with the web browser and Uncharted 4 for instance?

Anyone else have this problem?

Everyone in this thread but one person

Just had a weird bug where you couldn't aim or move the camera at all. Completely dead haha.

flattie

Well, have played some more. On the plus side, I'm really loving the art direction. It isn't as technically impressive as UC4, but I am really enjoying it nonetheless.

Still really struggling with the camera lag (and the aiming dead zone). I just can't see why the developers made the choice to set it like it is. The controls in TR2013 were my favourite part of the game ; I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the environment because of them. Here, I'm trying to enjoy exploration/action despite them and that is probably why I'm so disappointed with how things are.

Eblo

I must be at the final area, as I just got past the
Path of the Deathless
. And my god, that last section
was a blatant carbon copy of the shogun level from TR13. The level design was EXACTLY the same but with a different coat of paint and less hectic enemy encounters. I just played the other game less than 2 months ago, so I'm certain of this. Earlier in the game, there's a Soviet base that's similarly identical to one from the previous game. I wrote that one off as intentional due to Soviets mass-designing the things. But the Path of the Deathless's identicality to the shogun area can't have a similar excuse. I really want to believe this is a Metal Gear Solid 2-esque plot twist with implications of Kitezh being an amalgam of ancient cities, but I'm not feeling too hopeful. It seems like Crystal Dynamics merely copypasted the level design and tweaked it a bit.

Bladenic

Everyone in this thread but one person

Just had a weird bug where you couldn't aim or move the camera at all. Completely dead haha.

Had that too. Wouldn't be Tomb Raider without bugs and glitches.

Finished Blood Ties. Great extra! Make Croft Great Again. I swear if
the dual pistols were just fanservice and she doesn't use them in the next game Imma bitch slap CD, all of them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Got the game earlier today. I really appreciate that they let you turn the survival instincts off this time. The Syria tomb was really simple but not having giant indicators that are like GO HERE, DO THIS do make a difference.

Just finished the main campaign.

Overall I'd say it's an 8/10.

Have to say as a character these days, Lara is more just plain Jayne than an iconic tomb raiding heroine I feel she used to be. She doesn't really stand out personality wise. Guess it doesn't help the story or other characters were just weak too. Nothing stood out there. Thankfully the story doesn't really get in the way or bog the gameplay down in any way. The structure of the game was nice. Lots to find and upgrade. Some great techniques you unlock along the way to make Lara traverse landscapes with ease. Graphically it impressed at times but overall the environments weren't that varied. Some good set pieces and locales however. Maybe too much of an over reliance on the rope, especially in puzzles. Which were decent but a bit few and far between in number. But yeah too much rope there. I liked being stealthy where I could. Didn't really like going guns blazing much (thanks to the aiming issues). Melee fights could have felt better too. Good game. Certainly better than I expected. Just a bit of a shame it came out after U4 and I'd have probably thought TR was a bit better than what I'd have given it now, but as I said before, Drake set a higher standard.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm getting bored with this... might not finish. Idk.

Just doesn't do anything interesting, and the core combat is way too easy. Even with shitty control.

Reebot

Close to the end now, I'll type up my full thoughts when I finish.

For now, I stand by what I've said before: this is an A, maybe A+ game completely undone by input lag. Don't buy this game on PS4, but go grab it on PC.

Did a quick test comparing it with TRDE (in an area where fps is closer to 30)

UCzEdQM.gif

There is noticeable input lag, but the bigger problem is large deadzone in the center and increased acceleration towards the edge. Notice how jerky it is compared DE, makes it pain in the ass to fine tune your aim.

krae_man

Okay I'm confused.

In the very first area it let me set waypoints for coin caches and other collectibles that I either saw in survival instincts or found a map for.

Now, when I go into the map I only have a generic map which shows my story objective only. It says press triangle to go into other stuff and I see a more detailed map with the stuff I sensed with survival instincts or found a map for or whatever on there with an option to set a waypoint but I can't move my cursor at all so the option is greyed out.

What's going on?

Jhn

UCzEdQM.gif

There is noticeable input lag, but the bigger problem is large deadzone in the center and increased acceleration towards the edge. Notice how jerky it is compared DE, makes it pain in the ass to fine tune your aim.

Cool, thanks for doing that.

leng jai

Has anyone tweeted them about this input lag issue? Would be nice to know if anything will be done to it...

I doubt it'll be fixed since it never was in the Xbox One version. You'd think that if they were going to they would have done before release. It probably has something to do with how the engine runs on consoles.

Naar

Can someone tell me which cards get used up and which cards stay with you no matter how many times you use them? I am talking about coop endurance mode.

I was playing with my friend and the coop was awesome! He said that the cards with gold edges have unlimited use, and non gold edged cards are single use. Is this true?

Also if someone has any tips on the coop mode? For example I noticed that if you are cold you cannot run, and if you are hungry you take a little damage over time and become dizzy.

What other things to know?

anyone :D?

This is the closest I could find for information

https://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/451852571442731347/

Jennipeg

Well, have played some more. On the plus side, I'm really loving the art direction. It isn't as technically impressive as UC4, but I am really enjoying it nonetheless.

Still really struggling with the camera lag (and the aiming dead zone). I just can't see why the developers made the choice to set it like it is. The controls in TR2013 were my favourite part of the game ; I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the environment because of them. Here, I'm trying to enjoy exploration/action despite them and that is probably why I'm so disappointed with how things are.

I'm legitimately baffled by the camera, I've struggled with it from the beginning. I tried not to touch it at all, because it follows Lara and centres on her. But then I had Lara running directly at the screen and getting lost in caves. So in addition to not being able to aim, I'm now getting motion sickness, i'm having a great time with it.

In fairness I'm quite sensitive when it comes to motion sickness, FPS is a no go but i'm normally ok with TPS, this camera has just triggered it. I think i'm going to put it down for a few days and try again. My issue is probably really rare so its a shame, I like the game and really want to play it but man, at the moment its not worth it for me.

Malcolm9

I doubt it'll be fixed since it never was in the Xbox One version. You'd think that if they were going to they would have done before release. It probably has something to do with how the engine runs on consoles.

Input lag is in the Xbox One version, it was the 360 & PC version's that are fine though, correct me if I'm wrong.

jelly

Has anyone tweeted them about this input lag issue? Would be nice to know if anything will be done to it...

It's been an issue on Xbox One from the start and that was never fixed. Xbox 360 didn't suffer from it.

I'm guessing there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine on current consoles. Must be one hell of a problem if neither Crystal Dynamics or Nixxes can fix it with a patch. Are the graphical effects the problem, it's really odd. That's the only difference between 360 and PS4/Xbox One but then I don't think the PC has the problem either.

Staf

Haven't gotten very far into it yet, but the game is great. However, just hit my first combat heavy area and i'm having way less fun with it. When i'm exploring, hunting animals and sneaking about the game is awesome.

I'm legitimately baffled by the camera, I've struggled with it from the beginning. I tried not to touch it at all, because it follows Lara and centres on her. But then I had Lara running directly at the screen and getting lost in caves. So in addition to not being able to aim, I'm now getting motion sickness, i'm having a great time with it.

In fairness I'm quite sensitive when it comes to motion sickness, FPS is a no go but i'm normally ok with TPS, this camera has just triggered it. I think i'm going to put it down for a few days and try again. My issue is probably really rare so its a shame, I like the game and really want to play it but man, at the moment its not worth it for me.

Oh, so it's not just me? I actually felt getting motion sickness from one of the platforming sections you have to do in the main story. The one that (mid-game spoilers)
you have to climb and fire the signal in one of the towers before Trinity attacks the village.
The camera was shaking so much that I started to feel nauseous.

This has never happened to me in a TPS game, so I was a little surprised. Thankfully, I felt better after a few minutes.

Jennipeg

Oh, so it's not just me? I actually felt getting motion sickness from one of the platforming sections you have to do in the main story. The one that (mid-game spoilers)
you have to climb and fire the signal in one of the towers before Trinity attacks the village.
The camera was shaking so much that I started to feel nauseous.

This has never happened to me in a TPS game, so I was a little surprised. Thankfully, I felt better after a few minutes.

I'm glad it's not just me! I haven't seen anyone else complain about it so figured I was one of very few. I was getting it in the caves but that passed pretty quickly. What really got me was in a relatively open area, I was looking for a tomb using survival instinct, and I was running all over trying to figure out where the entrance was. Because I was turning the camera and going back and forth it made me really quite sick and it lasted a good hour. I tried again later in the day and had the same thing. So I think I need a longer break. And then maybe not explore so much.

lazytiger

Neo Member
If I compare (and why wouldn't I?) Rise to Uncharted 4e, my vote goes to Tomb Raider. Uncharted has the better script, it is better written, characters are more lively and funny - but as a GAME, Tomb Raider is in my opinion clearly above Uncharted. Whereas Uncharted's climbing and traversal felt at times like a chore, it is never that in Tomb Raider.

Completely agree. The environments in TR are a lot more interactive and the devs have obviously spent a lot of time making them fun and rewarding to explore. Whereas as the UC environments, while much prettier, are more just backdrops to the action.

dock

3hrs in, enjoying it well enough.

Is there any way to have the Research Notes play audio while I walk around?
I had the same problem in the previous game, and stopped reading them entirely.
I wish I could queue them up to listen to at leisure.

Staf

Am i ever going to get dual pistols? Sucked it didn't happen in the previous game, will suck again if it won't happen. Though only played a few hours.

Nags

Banned

UCzEdQM.gif

Thanks for making this! Does a very good job of showing off the problem.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can anyone confirm me if like in the previous entry there's a point where you can stop and backtrack everything left behind? thanks

Eblo

Just beat the game. Overall it was a better experience than the first game. I enjoyed the gameplay more. The environments give more options in combat situations. The hunting and crafting mechanics still aren't great, but they are better than what the previous game had. Crafting the things you need on the run is very useful. Optional tombs are more fun to hunt down and solve, although they seemed shorter this time. However, the final areas of the game feel rushed and not thoroughly tested. The encounters could get pretty hectic without demanding much skill.

The story is... lol. It is just as cliche and predictable as what the previous game offered, but the result is less fun and way too serious. The antagonists are not interesting at all. There's nothing but seriousness, doom, and gloom. The conclusion of the story is not that satisfying:
Konstantin dies, Lara destroys the Divine Source (shocker), and Ana is assassinated while Lara is allowed to live to see what she's capable of or something. I admit I am interested in learning more about Trinity, but this second entry in the reboot did not conclude itself adequately at all. Its ending largely hinges on "see what happens in the next game!" There's also not much character development, which is expected when the only regular characters are a religious nutcase, his sister, a dude who's been alive for centuries, and the protagonist who's already seen some shit. Lara could have become more like the classic Lara we know and love over the course of the game, but she remained largely the same from start to finish
. What I did like was the new setting and learning its backstory.

I do look forward to the next entry, and hopefully Crystal Dynamics manages to make a product to outshine both of the reboot games thus far. Now I'm off to give the Croft Manor story a try.

firelogic

Motion sickness from Tomb Raider...? I have never heard of anything like it. It must be the rarest complaint yet.

I'm about halfway through the game and I'm done with it because it's making me feel sick. I can play for about 30mins and then I feel terrible for the next 2hrs. The amount of camera shake in this game is beyond ridiculous.

Elios83

I'm at about 70%.
I'm enjoying it overall but god if it was overrated.
First of all the shooting simply sucks, I don't know what's up with the aim system, maybe the game wants you to use mainly the bow or the evade/counter attack system but as a shooter the game sucks and everything is made worse (or caused?) by the input lag. Fighting against the animals attacking you for example is just a pain.
The story is absolutely cliched and useless.
Writing is acceptable during cutscenes but in-game...? Lara can only say "Incredible", "I can do it", "I have to escape" plus different kind of moanings (that btw seem to be closer in this game to how Lara sounded in the original Tomb Raider games made by Core Design, I don't know if it's just my impression).
The NPCs have the sole purpose to give you boring filler missions (the usual open world fetch quests).
The game still has a nice pacing for the main story missions, exploration is good, the tombs with the puzzles are probably the best element in the game, graphics can be great but the boring snowy setting doesn't help.
Overall I don't think the game deserves more than a 8/10 overall and to be honest the 2013 reboot had a far more interesting setting for me with the japanese temples and architecture.

I'm glad it's not just me! I haven't seen anyone else complain about it so figured I was one of very few. I was getting it in the caves but that passed pretty quickly. What really got me was in a relatively open area, I was looking for a tomb using survival instinct, and I was running all over trying to figure out where the entrance was. Because I was turning the camera and going back and forth it made me really quite sick and it lasted a good hour. I tried again later in the day and had the same thing. So I think I need a longer break. And then maybe not explore so much.

Same here. And yeah, the camera is really bad for people who are sensitive about these stuff. I mean, if I can notice and feel sick about it then I can only imagine how bad it would be for guys like you. I really hope that you feel better and manage to enjoy the game later.

Edit: Just saw firelogic's posts. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I understand how that feels. I've gotten motion sickness from few FPS games before and it really sucks. It's a shame that you won't be able to play this but your health is definitely more important.

Salarians

bumping this. I just installed Mafia III (54gb) and I'm wondering how much space I have to clear before moving onto this one.
It's showing 18 GB, fully patched physical copy.

Edit:
Package says 25 GB minimum required. I guess that's including saves? A lot less than expected either way.

Jennipeg

I'm about halfway through the game and I'm done with it because it's making me feel sick. I can play for about 30mins and then I feel terrible for the next 2hrs. The amount of camera shake in this game is beyond ridiculous.

That's 3 of us, we should form a support group lol.

Same here. And yeah, the camera is really bad for people who are sensitive about these stuff. I mean, if I can notice and feel sick about it then I can only imagine how bad it would be for guys like you. I really hope that you feel better and manage to enjoy the game later.

Thanks man, I will certainly try. I'll probably just play it bit by bit over the next few weeks.

UCzEdQM.gif

I knew something was up with aiming. It feels so loose compared DE and it was annoying the hell out of me. Thanks for making this!

Overall, regardless of this issue, I'm enjoying the gameplay in this quite a bit. I love the how the world is set up with all these small hubs that you can explore. The story hasn't drew me in at all though. It's not terrible, but I'm not as invested in it. I'm only abut 30% through so we'll see where it goes from here. The challenge tombs are the best part of the game for sure, I absolutely love them.

Elios83

I'm also sensitive about the camera in general and for example I couldn't finish a game like The Witness since it gave me nausea for hours after playing it.
In Tomb Raider fortunately I'm not having particular issues but I've noticed as well that motion blur and camera movements over a prolonged session can give me a bit of motion sickness.
Sorry for those who feel the effect strongly in this game.

I'm at about 70%.
I'm enjoying it overall but god if it was overrated.
First of all the shooting simply sucks, I don't know what's up with the aim system, maybe the game wants you to use mainly the bow or the evade/counter attack system but as a shooter the game sucks and everything is made worse (or caused?) by the input lag. Fighting against the animals attacking you for example is just a pain.
The story is absolutely cliched and useless.
Writing is acceptable during cutscenes but in-game...? Lara can only say "Incredible", "I can do it", "I have to escape" plus different kind of moanings (that btw seem to be closer in this game to how Lara sounded in the original Tomb Raider games made by Core Design, I don't know if it's just my impression).
The NPCs have the sole purpose to give you boring filler missions (the usual open world fetch quests).
The game still has a nice pacing for the main story missions, exploration is good, the tombs with the puzzles are probably the best element in the game, graphics can be great but the boring snowy setting doesn't help.
Overall I don't think the game deserves more than a 8/10 overall and to be honest the 2013 reboot had a far more interesting setting for me with the japanese temples and architecture.

Kinda agree with most things. Graphically it is nice but not on the U4 level and the environments are rather samey here. Mostly snow or brown. Where as U4 was more varied and had lots of use of colours throughout.
I didn't think Lara sounded reminiscent of the originals though. She doesn't really stand out in any way as a character these days for me. She's just a bit dull.
The over reliance on the rope for puzzles was a bit tedious in the end. Maybe too many collectibles overall. Like the shop seemed under utilised and just felt an afterthought or a purpose so the coins did something. None of the items you could buy wouldnt have just been difficult to just unlock through normal play.

Maybe if it came out last year it could have been my potential GotY but this year it would have to settle for Top 5 somewhere so far. But there's a few key titles yet to come.

Finished Blood Ties in the Croft Manor. That was pretty enjoyable. Was cool to explore and find things. I'd love to have been able to fully explore it more like the originals however. Nice addition to the main game. Don't think I care for the Expeditions stuff so I think I'm pretty done with it now.

So initally I've cancelled my pre order for the artbook case edition. Yesterday walked by a huge electronic chain store and saw they have a regular PS4 copy. Both games stroes in my country offer only the artbook one, weird.
Needless to say i picked a copy and so far I'm loving the game. It's different than U4 and i respect that, noticed the input lag/dead zone but after an hour got used to it. Overall the game is solid, story like the little twist with the step mom was predictable.

Edit:

I'm a little confised which game is the first one chronologically, TR2013 or RoTR?!? :D

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

UCzEdQM.gif

Just did the same, theres lag but I still think its being overblown,I can show this same lag with loads of games.
yours does looks worse though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Y_ZSxLkt4

valeu

I just did Blood Ties. It was nice to see the developers do a detailed modern location. Croft Manor is really fantastic. I wish the actual game had a section in a city. Siberia has modern cities, not just wilderness. If the game had had more variety, like a section in St. Petersburg, a modern Russian military base, a city in Siberia, the Siberian wilderness, and the old temples, I would have liked it a lot more.

Mediking

I'm enjoying the game so far. I hope Lara gains her cool hair braid in the 3rd game and I'm not saying the story is bad.... but they really need to get a writer whose good at character development. Too much potential in Lara. She shouldn't be boring.

Heck, I would've gave Lara a super cool shorter haircut in the 1st game as her beginning. Kinda like how Claire ends up looking at the end of Revelations 2.

LegendX48

Just played through the Baba Yaga dlc, haven't finished the main game yet though. Is that bug with it locking you out of the voice of god tomb still present?

Beyond that, thought the baba yaga story and such was significantly better than the entirety of the 2013 reboot. I did run into what I think is a bug, Nadia's mouth doesn't move, ever. The cutscenes with her, she just kept her mouth shut as the audio played lol

But anywho, that final battle was friggen rad!

Top Bottom